Pensacola, FL
Blue Angel Park - Palmetto DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #17 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #17 Pro Tee Sign

Share URL:

Unique, fun little course

1    8/5/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
This review was updated on 8/23/2012
Pros: The Palmetto is a nice woodsy course. Most holes are on the tighter side, with fair routes. It'll really challenge your accuracy game.

The course is one of three on location, making for a great destination for travelers.

There is a lot of cool decorations on the course and there are plenty of benches and even some water coolers.
Cons: The rough is a little thick in places and sometimes it can take a while to find your disc.
Other Thoughts: Definitely stop by Blue Angel Park if you're in the area, it's well worth the $2.

Great Course

1    5/16/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: westflagator
Pros: Great course. Can't really say much different then all the others. Very large tee's, water cooler's all around course. The throwing ceiling was pretty high so you are safe with most shots thrown. When we played not many others where playing so we had course to ourselves. It was a work day...LOL
Cons: Not much to say here. I guess the only complaint I would have is it is hard to find your way around. Some holes have arrows pointing to next hole but others you need to look for. Baskets need to have fluorescent paint on basket poles. Mach baskets are hard to see in woods.
Other Thoughts: Meet with the course builder and designer. Very nice guys and very good player. I will play this course again when I have time to travel to it.

My favorite course

5+    3/27/2012   4/3/2012
Review By: AvengerTruth
Pros: Very clean, well kept course. Water jugs at multiple locations on all 3 courses. Variety of tough shots that will teach you to be accurate. My personal favorite course out of the courses in the area. Mobile included. Great signage, great tee boxes, marina/store to buy discs, bags, snacks, drinks etc.
Cons: Not much distance. Only one shot I can think of that you really have to rip on. Not a big deal, but I know how some people like to throw bombs
Other Thoughts: Great course, along with the others at Blue Angel. Bring some finesse game with you, you wont need the huge arm for this course. Very fun, very clean. Family friendly course

5+    10/8/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: Lee888
Pros: Very technical course. Course is heavily wooded and requires you to not only think before you throw, but to also throw your shot accurately as well. When compared to other courses I've played, this course has helped my game the most.
Cons: Can be extremely frustrating if you are having an off day.
Other Thoughts: Great upkeep and there is always someone around who is willing to give advice.

Great technical challenge

1    10/3/2011   10/3/2011
Review By: UKfan
This review was updated on 10/8/2011
Pros: This course is one of three 18 hole courses on this site. The course winds through trees and sand with both hyzer and anyhyzer shots required. Although a few of the tee shots are slightly redundant in flight pattern, each shot is independent of the others because of the strategic use of trees. I played the rec tees and although it was not extremely long it was plently long enough for my skill level. With all of the trees and obstacles, it requires you to have both flick, FH, and BH shots. This was an enjoyable round. This course has pro and am tees. It also has NEW signs that show both tees. (The tee signs are different than the ones shown in the media photos as of the time of this review.) Most of the tees are also color coated either blue (pro) or yellow (rec) by use of the wood framing each tee box. The players that were at the course at the time I played were very helpful and pleasant.
Cons: About the only con is that for a newcomer like myself it would have been helpful to have better directionaly markers for the next tee box. I played the first nine by myself and I had trouble finding a couple tees. The tee signs are usually placed near the pro but sometimes between the pro and rec tees.
Other Thoughts: I played 18 with Mike and Thomas and they were very enjoyable and helpful. Mike built the courses and was very knowledgeable.
The Blue Angel now has three courses, including the Pines and Oaks. The Pines was not listed at the time of this review. I played part of the Oaks and Pines but I ran out of time to finish. The Pines was not in as good a shape as of yet as the other well marked courses. If your on vacation within driving distance, I highly recommend these courses.
Also, there is a place to purchase discs at the Marina/Store on the base. As you leave the course from the parking lot for Palmettto, turn left (towards the water) and go to the end of the road (water ahead) and turn to the right. You will see the Marina/store in a short distance.

More blind shots than Stevie Wonder at a gun range

1    8/6/2011   8/8/2011
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Great signs, good quality baskets, 3 sets of tees (blue, gold and little flyers), a double loop which takes you back to the parking lot in the middle. Water coolers around the course which generally were full and had cold water in them (an absolute godsend).
Cons: 2 or 3 poke and pray holes which were usually blind on top of that. Lots of really harsh turns, boomerang style harsh turns. A couple holes where a spike hyzer was the only viable option.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with a few quirky issues. It has a lot of blind holes and with the DGA baskets the only identification from a distance is the thin orange pole. It would be nice to see these powdercoated in a bright color on a course like this where visibility is so low. The amenities were out of this world and the price is well worth it, given you have 3 courses to choose from. I liked the fact that you had to shape lines on almost every hole but with that many holes were hit or miss to an extreme level where one tiny branch could take your shot and ruin it. It almost seemed a little sadistic. Bring your lunch so you can play all the courses. If 3-4 holes were improved a bit I feel this course could easily be a 4.5 or even a 5 but some of these were so ridiculous that it kind of ruined the rest of it for me. I will say that if you play here all the time you will learn some awesome shots and will look at fairways in a whole different manner than those who don't.

The Little Flyer tees were great, set up just for juniors and just the right length for them. We didn't have our daughter with us but I bet she would've played the entire course from these tees. This is a great way to get kids playing more often.

Great family setup

1    7/18/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: EagleZT
Pros: Played this course today. What a solid setup! It was definitely family oriented. It had pro and am tees as well as "little flyer" for the kids which was usually about 100 feet away from the basket.

You don't have to be sponsored anymore to play the courses. Just pay at the gate and head to the courses which are about .5 miles down. it was $6 for me and my wife to get in and $2 per person on the honor system to play.

Course has a good mix of hyper and anhyzer throws. Another YES! Is the water coolers throughout the course. They were filling them up this morning and the workers were real friendly and it felt like a nice ball golf course with workers maintaining the course and ensuring a nice setup.

The holes are nice and open for a tight wooded course. I wouldnt say there are no "unfair" holes.

There's a nice hanging basket on 17

Nice course for a Roc or Buzzz round or any midrange for that. You can leave your drivers at home. Great course for technical shots and driving your putters.

They have porta pottys right at the parking lot and
Cons: The elevation isn't much, but it's the coast. You can't control that as much. Also, we couldn't find the eighth basket. It looks like it may have been pulled. I didnt get a chance to ask one of the workers out there about it. Also they were rearranging some of the baskets on the 16-19 holes so while you are on the
19th hole the basket says 18. Not a big deal but confusing at times. There were also some blind holes when I had to walk to see the basket to get the line. Not awful, but the tee layout wasn't reliable at times.
Other Thoughts: Despite the nit picking, this is real a great course. For 2 bucks you can play around 40 holes of golf between palmetto and the oaks dg. They have discs for sale at the marina (1 mile down and to the right near the putt putt). Good mix of innova and discraft.

They are also building a new course "The Pines" the manager of the marina said you could play it, but it's not entirely finished and marked out. Will be a nice complex when the third course is put in. Great disc golf complex worth the coin to play.

Nicer!

2-4    2/21/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: joe_kool315
Pros: Great course, very technical and challenging. there's a little bit of everything here. Doesn't punish you too much on errant throws but you can get yourself stuck in deep if you don't' watch it.
Cons: Tends to favor the lefty or RHFH throwers so heads up.
Other Thoughts: currently 22 holes of awesomeness...

Awesome Course(s)!

1    12/23/2010   12/28/2010
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: I've been wanting to play this course for a LONG time, and finally got there over Christmas. The layout is great -- easy to follow, lots of variety. This is definitely a course-management style of course, rather than a distance shot course -- and I like that. I don't throw that far, but most of the time the disc goes where I want it to go. The layout also makes it feel like you have the course to yourself; I know there were other people playing, because I could hear them, but we never saw them. The layout makes it easy to navigate -- signage at every hole points to the next tee (both pro and am).

The course also has a LOT of personality. The people who do the work here put a lot of effort into the course. Crawfish shack, working shower, hubcaps and tires, signs ... the course is a lot of fun to play.

Benches at every tee, multiple tees (Including the Little Flyers tee, which my daughter loved!)
Cons: I was planning on playing the pro tees, but was concerned because there were no hole diagrams on the signs at the pro tees. Not a big deal -- I could have just walked up to the am tees to look at the layout, but I ended up just playing the am tees this trip. Once you get the hang of the layout, this won't be an issue.

At one point (I think it was on the 4th hole), the path to the next tee takes you directly behind the basket for #6, which seems to present a little bit of a risk. BUT -- if you're there for the disc golf, you'll be paying attention to things like that, so I don't see anyone risking getting hit.
Other Thoughts: A dedicated disc golf course in a private setting -- what's not to love about this place?! Add to this the fact that there are another 24 holes on the property, and you've got an awesome day of disc golf. If you are anywhere close, pony up the few bucks it costs to play BAP and get over to Pensacola ASAP!

NOTE: You don't have to be sponsored anymore -- post on the Emerald Coast DGC board to double check, but they told me that all you have to do is go and pay at the gate. They'll let you know the cost to play the courses as well as the entry fee, so once you're in, you're good.

Palmetto and The Oaks

5+    2/28/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: JoeDubb
This review was updated on 9/21/2011
Pros: What can I say that hasn't been said? It's an awesome course on a great piece of land. I wish that I could have stayed longer but I know one day I will return. Great course to play in the winter if you are in Pensacola, FL.
Cons: The only con I can think of is that there are not enough courses like this one. It takes a truly dedicated group of people to produce such a memorable course.