Ypsilanti, MI
The Ponds at Lakeshore Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #13 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #A White/Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
The Throw Shop!!!

1    8/5/2017   8/9/2017
Review By: JerrodStevens
Pros: -The Throw Shop!!!
-30 Holes
-Slight Elevation Changes
-Great Variety of shots and distances
-Great Baskets and very nice teepads
-Multiple tees
-Clean park
-Not terribly busy, considering what an amazing course it is
-Loops back to the parking lot after 9 and 18 holes
-2 Practice hole
Cons: -Holes 1, 2, and run alongside a fence, and if a disc goes over, there is a good chance it ends up in the middle of a busy road
-Only bathroom is a porta-potty
Other Thoughts: The Throw Shop, wow! They have every disc you could possibly imagine! The prices are great too, as most disc is about $1 less than normal retail value (for example, an Innova DX disc goes $9.99 at other retailers, but at the Throw Shop, they go for $8.99). The Throw Shop also sells bags, discatchers, and merchandise, such as hats and shirts. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

Fundamentally Sound Course

5+    6/29/2017   6/30/2017
Review By: tbonesocrul
This review was updated on 10/12/2017
Pros: - 30 holes!
- 2 Sets of concrete Teepads on many holes, all holes have pads now!!
- Blue and White stripes on Basket Cage indicate direction -
towards next teepad
- Distance marker by teepads for each hole
- Pro Shop on-site calls and holds lost discs
- Uses the land and vegetation to provide decent variety of holes
- 2 practice baskets with picnic table nearby
- well maintained grounds
- Windy days make this course play very differently
- Many holes have multiple angles of attack
- Weekdays after 5pm never very crowded
- Has painted OB lines from old Sand Traps
- Frequent Trashcans!
- Everyone that I've ran into there has seemed pretty friendly
- Port-a-potty on site.
- course has a bunch a places where its pretty easy to skip a few holes if you are in a rush/don't want to make people wait for you.

Cons: - Very few tightly wooded shots
- Pictures only by some teepads and look very old and faded
- Not a lot of elevation changes, what little elev. is there gets used well
- Have to check in at a security booth
- People don't seem to use the frequent trashcans
- Holes X1 and X2 are easy to miss
- course is next to apts so sometimes people will wander across fairways, just look before you throw
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, I'll play here after work usually 2-3 times a week. Course is built on a old ball golf course next to a gated community. Given how flat the land is and how few trees are on the course I think that a majority of the holes are designed well requiring reasonably accurate throws or specific lines. Everyone that I've ran into at this course as been friendly and following good etiquette. The newest holes X1 and X2 are tightly wooded shots but don't have teepads yet. Also back in the woods by W & X a bunch of trees are marked making me speculate that there are new holes planned for back there.

Nice destination

2-4    5/21/2016   5/21/2016
Review By: YpsiDiscin
Pros: - Cement tees, signs, bathrooms, disc golf pro shop.
- Long, open holes to try out new shots.
- Was very dry and clean, easy to play.
Cons: - If you like tight woods shot you won't find many here- but the trees definitely make it challenging!

Lakeshore

5+    9/27/2015   9/27/2015
Review By: Palmtre3
Pros: 28 holes
well kept
The Throw Shop is there
wide up
no cost
nice critters
Cons: None that I can say
Other Thoughts: One of my favorites and your likely to have a good time. Been a few times and I've went alone and people were nice enough to invite me to play with them.

flat and interesting

1    8/12/2015   8/13/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
Pros: 30 holes
990' foot hole
hard to lose a disc
good pin placements
awesome pro shop
chances to air it out
little to no bugs
free to play
#13 is the best hole on the course
course map is needed for first timers
Cons: very flat
very open
holes may seem repetitive
hornets nest near some tees/pins

Other Thoughts: it all starts with the pro shop which has everything you could need to play disc golf. 30 holes with two different alternate 6's. For being very flat and open it is a well done course with good pin placements being tucked behind trees or near old sand traps. you basically zig zag around an open field but you never seem to face the same way twice in a row. Windy days could make it very difficult. I was happy with this course it had long holes and the short ones were not really easy. I recommend this course. It has an awesome pro shop and 30 holes lets you play anywhere from 18 to 24 to all 30.

The Shop is the main attraction

5+    3/5/2015   3/15/2015
Review By: the1discChallenge
Pros: -The shop is amazing: tons of discs from many different retailers, they take trade ins, small selection of apperal
-long/short concrete tee pads
-lot of long bomb holes to test discs or just let it rip
Cons: -very flat and open. Yes, it is built on an old ball golf course, but I've played many other "pre-ball golf courses" that have been much more interesting than this. That being said, it's a decent layout for what the land has to offer
-May be just my experience, but the community around the course isn't my scene...I used to go a lot before I got a pass to the pay to play courses and every time, it seems like the locals kind of think down on everyone. I played today and a group of around 15 people (what??) let me pass...I shanked my shot into a tree and heard a couple people laughing...
-with the apartment complex near by, there's often a lot of people just walking their dogs around the course and for whatever reason, are all very oblivious...
-often gets VERY windy
Other Thoughts: -I think the course is fine if you live close, but I wouldn't make a long trip out to play the course. That being said, I WOULD make a trip to check out the shop...

-I've never felt unsafe there by any means, but the area vibe seems kind of sketchy to me...I've seen some interesting characters around the area (not inside the course, but still)

-I'm located about 20-30 min away from about 10 different courses including this one. Now that I have access to most of them with a season pass to the parks, I definitely won't be returning here...After my recent experience with the community, I don't plan on coming back any time soon...

I wish more courses were like this

1    7/9/2014   7/12/2014
Review By: PuttPuttPutt
Pros: The only way you lose a disc is if you forget - Better mowed than most courses - Chainstar baskets - layout allows for quality & expedient practice - The Throw Shop raises this to 4.5.
Cons: Could be seen as repetitive in distances - a few people may have trouble negotiating the course smoothly, should they miss the blue&white basket markings.
Other Thoughts: Free - located inside Lakeshore Apartments - be sure to check-in at the gate before entering the course - I believe there is a maintenance fund, worth contributing to, inside the Throw Shop.

The only course like it!

5+    8/2/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: Trizzor
Pros: The #1 disc golf shop in Michigan, The Throw Shop.
Extremely simple but extremely diverse, multiple routes available from a lot of tees.
Ability to practice all kinds of throws without the anxious feeling of loosing a disc.
Pro and Am tees, to mix up the already 27 holes.
Windy - a plus and minus... you get to practice headwind and tailwind depending on what hole you're at.
Arrows under each basket pointing to next tee.
Cons: The grass tends to get long in the summer, used to be cut every 3 weeks.
Wish the baskets had numbers on them, multiple times I've seen people throwing at the wrong basket.
No downhill or upshot holes.
Other Thoughts: This was the second course I had played, at first many holes were daunting. Now that I have a feel for what I'm doing this is my goto course to practice different shots and lines.

You will NOT find a better course in the area to practice on.

The Ponds is good, but not because it's a good course.

2-4    6/15/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 7/5/2013
Pros: + The Throw Shop (+++)
+ Lots of holes!
+ Good baskets and tees
+ Obvious effort to clarify the course layout (decent color coding)
+ Dry even when other courses are horrible
+ Great in the winter
+ Tee signs with distances
+ Not just a city park
+ Preserved "feel" of ball golf (open), but shortened
+ Free but with a gatekeeper (keep out the riff raff!)
Cons: - Pretty wide open, so challenge is minimal
- Without a good map (there isn't one), you'll probably get lost
- There are too many baskets (yes, it's possible!)
- More signage to identify every tee and basket, please
Other Thoughts: The Ponds is very good, but not because it's a great course. The Throw Shop is the main attraction!

The course itself is flat with only a few trees to worry about and there are no defined lines to hit, so you do get to concentrate on accuracy and distance. That aspect of disc golf on its own doesn't do much for me, though. The first time I played the course I felt like there was very little cohesiveness to the layout and I found navigation to be the most challenging and most annoying aspect of this course.

If you don't have a map, you're screwed, so heed this warning and take the map from DGCR. You'll have to pay attention a little more to the direction each tee is pointing to and use the distances on the tee signs. It shouldn't be this difficult, but on my first visit (in the winter when The Throw Shop was closed) we didn't have a map and at some point became bamboozled and just started throwing to whatever basket made sense at the time and walking around for a while. This was due to vandalism. I am very impressed that The Throw Shop owners continue to perfect and add to the course out of their own pockets. The local club that installed the course hasn't done anything to maintain or improve it.

Each basket has rad color-coded wooden arrows zip-tied to the bottom of baskets pointing you in the direction you might want to go in to find a certain tee (this inspired me to do something similar in a tourney I put on last month), but it's still a little difficult to know which tee and basket was which at a distance. The hardware and tee pads are perfect, but I suggest putting color identifiers and numbers directly on the tee pads with maybe an arrow pointing at the basket just to be safe.

Overall, I realize not every course is meant to be championship or tournament style. I don't think anyone ever said this course is supposed to be of that caliber, either. I identify The Ponds as both a practice course and a great beginner's course, with the best experience likely had if you have something new to throw or you're new to throwing. That's my take away point for you if you're reading this wondering about The Ponds. If you're going to the Throw Shop or really want to work on your throw (or both), then you really should play here and it's absolutely worth it.

Thank you for reading!

Long Throw

2-4    7/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: rdblake01
Pros: This course allows you to throw. It is long, especially from the blue tees. I am not a long thrower, but it allows me to work on technique without fear of hitting a tree with every errant attempt. There is plenty of signage, and every hole has a sign pointing to the next tee. Even the short holes challenge me, either for distance or the tree location.
Cons: There aren't many requirements for a forehand here. It is flat, with just a few trees to hit.There are not enough garbage cans around, and I have noticed a lot of mole holes and groundhog holes that you have to watch for or you can turn an ankle.
Other Thoughts: They used the few trees well to guard the approach on many of the holes. I love having a nice disc shop available before I play (the Throw Shop). It is in an apartment complex, and you have to show your ID to get in, but I have never had any issues here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5