Hastings, MI
Hammond Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #5 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #5 Approach

Share URL:

Reggie Hammond Hill DGC!

1    8/31/2017   9/2/2017
This review was updated on 9/12/2017
Pros: First of all, does anyone know of a cooler, more awesome, Opening hole than # 1 here at Reggie Hammond Hill? I'm old and drifty and quite possibly could have forgotten over the years, but I think # 1 here is a pretty awesome way to start your round. Having said that, I don't think falling down the # 1 hill and breaking my head would be a great start to a round here. I wouldn't want to climb down that hill in March or any time in wet weather.

There are so many things to like about this course but it has it's warts, too. The starting area by # 1 has a kiosk with disc golf information. Is this where the info is about where the baskets are. somehow, I missed that part because I seldom read what's on the kiosks. There are picnic tables, garbage and concrete pads. The baskets were Chainstars, I thought??? Did I miss this? I liked the small colorful rocks imbedded in the left corner of the pads showing the hole #.

There is this neat little pagoda by # 7. It's primitive looking with a thatch roof. Is it there for staring at the lake or for us disc golfers? That brings up another question I have. Is this a city, county or state park? Is it private? Usually, there are ways to tell the difference but I never could tell.

This course has enough features to make it challenging. There is some length, all the blind baskets placements, some of the lines are tight and in some cases, there are no fairways. I had some trouble navigating at times. Actually, all these challenging features would be less disruptive if one were playing Reggie Hammond in a group instead of trying it solo, as I did. Probably would have helped if I had seen the sign telling which positions the baskets were in.

Other than # 1, I liked # 11 a lot. It plays 400' over a valley with the basket visible up that next hillside. # 13 was quite a handful of hole, too. It's 450' over some tall grass. Into a lovely, natural looking fairway and then the basket in set in the woods on an 8' mound of dirt. Challenging hole, eh?

# 16 fooled me quite a bit. Looking from the tee pad, I judged that basket to be just past the center tree but after I softly threw my approach shot , I see the basket is like 125' past the tree. Add another stroke!

Cons: Late August the rough is extra thick and all that grass on the back nine was tall and intimidating. There 2-3 holes I didn't care to take the chance of hunting/losing my discs on. Then I came to # 17 and there was nothing but tall grass and deep, nasty rough. I couldn't spot a basket and had no intention of throwing any disc into this black hole.

The tee signs were not done well. First, the sponsors ad is way bigger than the disc golf map. It should be the other way around. Keep it simple. This hole sponsored by XYZ Insurance and then a big map. Also, the route on each map is printed, like upside down or backwards if something. They never seemed to make any sense to me.

Something needs to be done to help players down the hill on # 1. Some steps, a rope or maybe as escalator.

There is a next tee sign for 13 or after 13. It has red letters on a faded brown sign. Almost unreadable. How about some yellow paint or white?
Other Thoughts: There is so much to like about this course. Great start with # 1. Lots of challenge for players of all levels. Quality signs and pads. Lovely piece of land for a course. Some nice engineering has been done. Neat little rock numbers imbedded in pads.

Then there are my negatives. Tough to navigate, overgrown rough and fairways. Too many blind basket placements.

Don't attempt to play this course solo. Not a great plan.

Could be better

1    6/9/2015   6/9/2015
Review By: My arm hurts
Pros: Good layout, good signage, the baskets are maked as well , pretty easy to find for out of towners.
Cons: The folage is way to thick , very easy to lose discs if it were not for that one simple thing would have gotten much higher rating from me.
Other Thoughts: Maybe in the spring or late fall this course would be great .

Might As Well Hit Hastings

1    7/20/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
Pros: This was a nice little walk through the hillside. This course offers a good amount of variety and views. It has concrete tee pads and is fairly easy to navigate with a natural flow to the layout. It seemed quite well maintained and appears to be beloved by the locals as there is no garbage or other signs of destructive behavior. It is worn in well and judging from past reviews it has come a long way. Hole one makes things interesting right off the bat. It is nearly straight down with a neck breaker of a walk down a steep and rocky hill. The next few holes move from an open meadow that requires a fair amount of accuracy into some hiking trail holes that are tight and wooded. A lake is visible through the trees to the left which is a nice touch as you look out from this elevation. There is a really cool ravine hole back here, the number escapes me as I forgot my notepad and the course pictures here are lacking, that sends you over and up through quite a picturesque section of the landscape. Signature all the way. After weaving through the woods, the back nine takes you out into a more open area with hills and elevation changes. The front nine ends at the parking lot which is nice because you have the option of stopping if you are short on time or getting another refreshment. Eighteen takes you right back to your car.
Cons: There really aren't many cons here. The first few holes seem a bit packed in, and the back nine is just a touch mundane. The signs were confusing to me as a first timer. They show basket A and basket B. I thought there were two baskets per hole. I guess the positioning changes throughout the season. This adds to variety and is actually a pro. There was no intangible here that made me feel that this course was greatness, but it is definitely a solid course with a decent design and layout. I think the designers did the best they could with this piece of land.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the surrounding area this course is one to check out. It offers a different feel than the city courses and will definitely allow you to demonstrate your skills.

I'm tired and that's good.

1    6/15/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: TunaSled
Pros: Excellent basket placement through a scenic hike. Holes are well thought out if not a bit difficult, which adds to the challenge and charm. Brand new baskets are always nice, I love that sound when you mash a long putt. Course was freshly mowed upon our arrival, I've heard complaints about overgrown fairways but this was not the case.
Cons: Bugs and critters. We encountered a large snake that was ready to bite, luckily we spotted him right after he saw us and he retreated into the rough. I got stung by a ground hornet on 8, beware nests just beyond the basket. Cement tee pads would be nice, hopefully that is in the works. I'd like to see a pavillion near the parking lot or at least a better place to chill and eat between rounds.
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies early as this course provides few opportunities on the back 9. The long tees are very challenging but easier to find than the shorts. Very rugged, demanding course, prepare for a long day.

Hammond Hill DGC

1    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Kenn
Pros: Good parking. Tees #1, basket #9, tee #10 and basket #18 in very close proximity to parking lot.
Extremely challenging design with plenty of elevation changes and technical shot making. Utilizes Chainstar baskets. Varying terraine. Front nine wooded and tight. Back nine more open and field like, but also technical. Back nine has some long holes. Course has alternate tee pads and alternate basket placements.
Cons: Due to the newness of the course (sometime in 2008)... as to not mention all the cons...Hammomd Hill DGC is a work in progress, but very playable. I'm sure the involved managers know this and are working to make it better.
Other Thoughts: Hammond Hill DGC is a very new disc golf course. I have only been playing disc golf for about 1.5 years and I really liked playing it. (Nyet to Azar 002) A very challenging and scenic design with varying terrain. In time this course will be in the books as a go to course.
Yes...the course does need maintainence, but this is simply due to the newness of it. On the front there is alot of loose logs in the fairways and near some baskets (could be moved). Plus I think the fairways on the back nine could use some mowing to show direction Not to mention signage. Plus some of the Autumn Olives could be removed as well on the backside.
There were three of us playing (all of us new to Hammond) and although we had to be spotters and scouts for each other (to find baskets & typical for a new design) we did not lose one disc. But rest assured we were pooped when we finished #18. We discussed the course afterwards and unanamously decided we would be back to play Hammomd Hill DGC again very soon. Possibly making a day of it.
So I say thumbs down to Azar 002 who dis'ed Hammond. Hammond is (going to be) typical of a good Michigan course. I do hope though that the course managers do put in cement pads or rubber fly pads in the future. Oh yes...did I mention mowing?
I am going to give Hammond Hill a good rating (3.0) I hope in the future I can give it a 3.5. Who knows maybe (in time) it could be the Hammond Hill Disc Golf Country Club of Hastings. Rivaling the Hastings ball golf country club.