Hastings, MI
Hammond Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #13 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #13 Yellow Tee

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Bring a friend and enjoy

1    9/3/2017   9/3/2017
Review By: BuzzArmStrong
Pros: Lots of different angles and shots are necessary to navigate this course successfully. Ended up at 58 on my first time throwing the course and felt fairly good about it (+3). Great variety in terms of right to left, left to right. Having only played once I can say it would take a few goes to figure out where I feel I'd be better off with a forehand as opposed to a anny backhand and the other way around.

Fairways are tight but at the same time fair. There are lines to hit and if you hit them you are rewarded. If you do not hit your line there is a lot of what would be referred to as natural OB which can and will add strokes to your round. This is my favorite type of course as it tests your scrambling skills as well as your ability to stay out of those situations to begin with.

Quality cement tee pads at each hole with little stones embedded in them with the hole number.

Hole 1 is an extremely fun starting hole. Straight downhill tunnel shot. I laced the tunnel and landed a few feet from the basket but an errant drive could certainly kick into some nasty areas. Great looking hole as well as a hole that is indicative of the nature of the course.

Holes 1 through 9 continue for the most part in a similar fashion; heavily wooded with nasty rough, significant elevation, well placed baskets. Multiple holes in this front 9 I would consider memorable.

The back 9 opens up a little bit and plays through some areas with tall grass carving out the fairways. The wind plays a much more significant factor and gives a different feel than the heavily wooded front 9. Elevation is still significant and plays a large role in keeping the back 9 fun and interesting.

Hole 14's basket is on top of a 8 foot high mound of dirt with no real landing zone on top. This hole is the lone par 4 (at least with the current basket positions). I'm not sure entirely sure how I feel about it. I got a par on the hole this first round but could certainly see it being frustrating. It certainly discourages running a birdie put in favor of trying to lay up (which can be risky business in and of itself). I'm sure the fact that I I Par'd it impacted how much I enjoyed the hole and the fact that I'm putting this in the pro section. I could certainly see this being in the con section as well...I guess time will tell as I get a few more rounds in at this course.

Though there was only one set of baskets there are multiple pin positions denoted on the maps that give different looks.
Cons: Let's start with hole 1. As much as I love throwing the hole I really didn't enjoy getting down to my shot. There really needs to be some sort of rail road tie step system implemented or something...even a rope to hang on to would be great as it is pretty steep and eroding pretty heavily.

Lots of blind tee shots. This isn't so bad if you have a spotter or if you know the course really well. If you are not familiar with the course you will be walking half way up a lot of fairways to sneak a peek at the basket before you throw especially because the tee signs don't really help too much. Not only are the multiple pin positions noted on the pad but the signs themselves lack detail so they aren't too helpful.

I didn't think the rough was too bad but I stayed out of it for the most part. It could certainly be trimmed back in some areas without ruining the difficulty of the holes. At the very least the course would look cleaner if it was cleaned out a bit.

A few areas could use some directional cues as there are a lot of trails going through the woods for the bicycle riders.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky enough to play my first round at Hammond Hills with two guys that knew the course. We routinely acted as spotters for each other which was super helpful. I would not suggest playing a solo round at this course until you had already played it a few times.

I had a great time playing this course..I would come back in a heartbeat. With improvement to tee signs and safety measures like steps on hole 1 and fighting back thorn bushes I think this course could easily earn a 4. I was seriously torn between a 3.5 and a 4 wanted to give it a 3.75 because so many of the holes are memorable and stuck in my head but I couldn't justify it when the cons are things that are easily fixable.

Reggie Hammond Hill DGC!

1    8/31/2017   9/2/2017
This review was updated on 9/12/2017
Pros: First of all, does anyone know of a cooler, more awesome, Opening hole than # 1 here at Reggie Hammond Hill? I'm old and drifty and quite possibly could have forgotten over the years, but I think # 1 here is a pretty awesome way to start your round. Having said that, I don't think falling down the # 1 hill and breaking my head would be a great start to a round here. I wouldn't want to climb down that hill in March or any time in wet weather.

There are so many things to like about this course but it has it's warts, too. The starting area by # 1 has a kiosk with disc golf information. Is this where the info is about where the baskets are. somehow, I missed that part because I seldom read what's on the kiosks. There are picnic tables, garbage and concrete pads. The baskets were Chainstars, I thought??? Did I miss this? I liked the small colorful rocks imbedded in the left corner of the pads showing the hole #.

There is this neat little pagoda by # 7. It's primitive looking with a thatch roof. Is it there for staring at the lake or for us disc golfers? That brings up another question I have. Is this a city, county or state park? Is it private? Usually, there are ways to tell the difference but I never could tell.

This course has enough features to make it challenging. There is some length, all the blind baskets placements, some of the lines are tight and in some cases, there are no fairways. I had some trouble navigating at times. Actually, all these challenging features would be less disruptive if one were playing Reggie Hammond in a group instead of trying it solo, as I did. Probably would have helped if I had seen the sign telling which positions the baskets were in.

Other than # 1, I liked # 11 a lot. It plays 400' over a valley with the basket visible up that next hillside. # 13 was quite a handful of hole, too. It's 450' over some tall grass. Into a lovely, natural looking fairway and then the basket in set in the woods on an 8' mound of dirt. Challenging hole, eh?

# 16 fooled me quite a bit. Looking from the tee pad, I judged that basket to be just past the center tree but after I softly threw my approach shot , I see the basket is like 125' past the tree. Add another stroke!

Cons: Late August the rough is extra thick and all that grass on the back nine was tall and intimidating. There 2-3 holes I didn't care to take the chance of hunting/losing my discs on. Then I came to # 17 and there was nothing but tall grass and deep, nasty rough. I couldn't spot a basket and had no intention of throwing any disc into this black hole.

The tee signs were not done well. First, the sponsors ad is way bigger than the disc golf map. It should be the other way around. Keep it simple. This hole sponsored by XYZ Insurance and then a big map. Also, the route on each map is printed, like upside down or backwards if something. They never seemed to make any sense to me.

Something needs to be done to help players down the hill on # 1. Some steps, a rope or maybe as escalator.

There is a next tee sign for 13 or after 13. It has red letters on a faded brown sign. Almost unreadable. How about some yellow paint or white?
Other Thoughts: There is so much to like about this course. Great start with # 1. Lots of challenge for players of all levels. Quality signs and pads. Lovely piece of land for a course. Some nice engineering has been done. Neat little rock numbers imbedded in pads.

Then there are my negatives. Tough to navigate, overgrown rough and fairways. Too many blind basket placements.

Don't attempt to play this course solo. Not a great plan.

Serenity

2-4    5/23/2016   5/24/2016
Review By: Reniger
This review was updated on 8/5/2016
Pros: Variety: This course will offer you challenges with tunnels, tight fairways, low ceilings, left-to-right holes, right-to-left holes, severe elevation changes, thick rough, and distance shots in the woods. Not an impossible course by any means, but it will force you to play smart golf.
Scenery: Hammond Hill is the definition of Michigan disc golf. Beautiful rolling hills, open fields, and thick forest combine to make a scenic evening's hike.
Signage: Two tee pads and two possible pin placements for each hole. Each tee sign has accurate signage for each tee and pin with a suggested line and distance.
Multiple Layouts: I have only played long teepads, but each basket placement offers differing challenges to keep the course feeling fresh.
Tee Pads: Blue tees are all well laid, level concrete in good shape. They are approximately 10', so no worry of a stubby tee pad to hit on a run up.
Well Maintained: Very clean, very little trash, did not notice and graffiti, and well manicured fairways. I actually ran into the grounds keeper on a mower on hole 2 as I played - very friendly, offered some direction and additional information.
Baskets: Chainstars in good condition. Catch well, but would benefit from a chastity belt for visibility in the woods.
Layout: Easy to follow paths from hole to hole, front 9 ends at the parking lot for a quicker round.
Traffic: Very, very little traffic. No worries about hold ups, distractions, or throwing a few cubby runs.
Wildlife: Several deer, squirrels, and aviary life to compliment the beautiful scenery each round I've played.
Cons: Insects: As you'd expect in the Michigan woods, there are plenty of mosquitoes, spiders, flies, and other small pests.
Rough: Not a big detriment to me, but the rough can be punishing. I enjoy this aspect, but I have experienced first hand how hard it can be to find discs off tree kicks, or even to get to your lie once you spot it!
Amenities: Only one Port-A-Potty. With this course being fairly remote, I completely understand and I don't expect them to build bath houses, but it is not my first choice for restrooms.
Blind shots: My first full round I had to walk to the yellow tee pad on most shots. I really enjoy the course now that I know it, but it is difficult if you're not familiar with placements.
Experience: I love this course, but would never consider bringing a novice to play. Punishing rough, blind shots, and challenges could get frustrating to those with less time in the sport.
Other Thoughts: Very enjoyable hike through the woods. Offers challenges on every hole, forcing you to think about every shot. A great course to go test your skills in a technical course with some friends and enjoy a secluded environment.

Could be better

1    6/9/2015   6/9/2015
Review By: My arm hurts
Pros: Good layout, good signage, the baskets are maked as well , pretty easy to find for out of towners.
Cons: The folage is way to thick , very easy to lose discs if it were not for that one simple thing would have gotten much higher rating from me.
Other Thoughts: Maybe in the spring or late fall this course would be great .

Worth the drive

1    9/1/2012   9/4/2012
Review By: xrayskid
Pros: Was in town for a wedding and someone told me there was a course nearby. This hidden gem is well worth the drive if you are ever in Southwest Michigan. Nice mix of left and right handed holes. It's quite hilly and many off the holes are heavily wooded. Well designed course.
Cons: Course could be better cared for. It's a bit shaggy in some areas. Signage also needs improvement.

Hammond is excellent

1    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: Hfactor
This review was updated on 8/18/2013
Pros: This course is about 40 miles straight west of Lansing. Has excellent layout with ups and downs, Hyzer and anhyzer. There is a posting at the start of the course where the tees are playing from and to. July was Long to Long and played very tough. They change up the Tees or baskets once a month and post this on the sign by hole 1. Make sure you read this sign before playing.

The traffic was very light which made for comfortable golf. We never got bored of any of the shot selections.

Another pro is that the first 9 bring you right back to the parking lot so you can go get something to drink if you ran out on a hot day.

I guess this course was worse in the past according to the previous reviews, but it seems to have got alot better. The tee signs are not vandalized and give good representations of the hole. The rough didn't eat any of our discs and play was very smooth.
Cons: Hole 1 is very steep and could be dangerous to climb down for some people. Some might consider the pads to be too short but I think they were just fine.

There is no water on the course but some would consider this to be a pro.
Other Thoughts: I played doubles with a friend and we didnt get a single birdy! This course is tough but extremely fun..

I lost a Yellow Buzz Discraft Elite x Custom Stamp Jbird on hole 17 or 18. I didn't actually lose it I think I just left it in the fairway. If you find it and email dhultin1@yahoo.com or message me on here that would be awesome.

not sure why I put this off so long...

1    4/19/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
--aesthetic--beautiful piece of property with lake views on the front 9 and rolling meadows on the back. a hiking trail winds through most of the front.

--baskets--Discraft with nice big orange bands for visibility. the vast majority of these are BLIND throws, so visibility makes all the difference.

--teepads--nice and big, brushed concrete. many of them had brooms for deadfall

--signage--great signage (though #1 is missing) shows distances to the multiple pin locations and designated landing areas.
Cons:
--Blind shots--as has been covered before, huck and hope is the name of the game out here if you don't want to play the course twice.

--navigation--tough in spots. Next tee signs would be helpful. The front 9 plays pretty straight but the back plays through meadows that make it tricky to follow somewhat.

--Hole 17--the tee points down fairway "x", but the basket is down fairway "y" very difficult to know where to throw. I got very lost and just found 18 and back tracked.

Other Thoughts: This course is a workout in a good way, the hills keep you huffing and puffing the whole round! Talked to a local after my round, apparently they want to expand the course to 24 holes AND add a second 24 hole course in the future. exciting stuff there. course is clear and the hastings huckers have been out clearing deadfall. you can tell by all the burn pits that have fresh ash and tinder.

Nice Place!

1    4/4/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: Central Scrutinizer
This review was updated on 10/20/2012
Pros: Challenging and interesting. A very nice Disc Golf-arable plot of land. Off the beaten path, so not very crowded. Good tees and baskets. Nicely kept.

A few miles from a nice brewpub (Waldorf).
Cons: The pin placement on top of the steep 12' tall mound of dirt was gimmicky, in my opinion, (a poor finish to an otherwise great hole) and it seemed a few of the other pin placements bordered on that too. I'm not keen on my Disc Golf courses having elements of miniature golf, to be honest. That's really the only beef I had with Hammond Hill.
Other Thoughts: The baskets were installed in the "long" position when I visited yesterday, and it made for a course being mostly what you might call a true par-4 course if you're not an immortal pro player. I dug it. I'm a mediocre Am-1 player and shot 70 for the 18 hole layout, enjoying almost all of it.

If you're not from the area and are making a destination trip, you could bundle this course with the outstanding Fallasburg Park (Lowell) for an epiphany-filled day of Disc Golf. Play Fallasburg first, this second, then finish off the day of merriment at Waldorf Brewpub in downtown Hastings. It was a nice day to be alive!

Hammond Hilly

1    3/19/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: rshrevo
Pros: Nice Concrete tee pads. Decent signage indicating alternate pads and both basket locations. fairly easy to navigate from hole to hole. Nice and quiet meaning that the only people generally out there are only disc golfers. You aren't sharing the area with other uses. nice mix of shots needed to navigate the holes. each 9 seems to loop back to the parking lot.
Cons: I didn't have a problem with it but the rough could be bad at times. Hole 1 really needs some type of work to help you get down the steep hill with out fear of falling or tripping down the hill. don't mind blind shots too much but there seemed to be a lot of them. i would walk ahead a bit just so i could get an idea as to where the pin placement was in order to determine where i wanted my disc to land. looks like it could get very buggy out there so would recommend bringing bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Port a John on site is nice. saw some brooms near the pads on some of the holes. It was a nice scenic walk through the woods while playing. Like the view of the lake as we walked down the sixth fairway. I would advise that you bring plenty of water with you. you may need to refill after the first nine. Especially if you are out of shape like me. the up and down hills really gave me a work out. Played it in spring so could get interesting on some of the holes after the leaves start appearing on the trees and bushes. I like the kiosk by hole 1 telling when which holes would be in the long or short positions. want to go back and play it again this time i will be more prepared for it.

A surprisingly fun round.

1    8/12/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: Griplock
Pros: -Good tees, signage, easy to navigate.
-Nice variety of shots for both lefties and righties, sidearm or backhand. Nice elevation on a few holes.
-Most holes have several lines to play, play it safe or be the hero.
-Little to no foot traffic, no vandalism and very clean.
Cons: -I can see where the rough is thick, though with even my moderate skill I stayed well clear of it. Mark your shots and you'll be fine.
-On your first visit, check the map at hole one for which pins are in play. Pins move monthly between two alternates. It gives the course replay value, but I list it as a con because it reduces that comfort of playing familiar holes.
-BUGS. All caps for a reason. Spray kept them from biting but at times it was hard to concentrate through the fog of mosquitoes.
Other Thoughts: We played on a Friday afternoon and didn't see a soul except the grounds keeper out mowing. Maybe 10 minutes total spent looking for discs even with multiple throws. The longest pin (right now) was about 430', which was perfect some ace runs and birdies with my arm, but some might find it too easy. I wouldn't drive hours to play the course, but if you're nearby don't miss out on this one.

< Prev 1 2 3 4