Hastings, MI
Hammond Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #7 (Taken 9/2010)

Share URL:

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Hammond Hill

1    5/31/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: david_hedstrom
This review was updated on 7/16/2009
Pros: Great mix of shots. Anywhere from dogleg right and left, ravines, elevation changes, lots of blind drives. Really a fun course to play. The baskets were great, brand new and my favorite mach V's. There are some interesting shots aspecially on the front 9 that make you think a little and that are quite challenging.
Cons: The rough on the back 9 was pretty daunting. Hole 17 was pretty ridiculous, the routes you had to choose from were odd but it worked out ok I suppose. The holes could be marked a little bit better on the back 9 but over all it wasn't too confusing.
Other Thoughts: Shot a 59 my first time out which wasn't terrible considering the course was pretty demanding. I would absolutely recommend this course to be played by all. The more people play it, the more it will get beat in and become a truly great course. You need to get as many birdies as possible on the front because the back will be more difficult. Watch out for animals; saw some deer which was cool but also a lot of hornets and a few good sized snakes. There are dual pin placements for all holes but hole one. The long placements are bruatal and much more challenging; hole 13 comes to mind about a 600 ft hole with the basket elevated on a 12-15 ft mound (hole 2 also has an elevated basket) which makes for difficult putting.

Hammond Hill DGC

1    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Kenn
Pros: Good parking. Tees #1, basket #9, tee #10 and basket #18 in very close proximity to parking lot.
Extremely challenging design with plenty of elevation changes and technical shot making. Utilizes Chainstar baskets. Varying terraine. Front nine wooded and tight. Back nine more open and field like, but also technical. Back nine has some long holes. Course has alternate tee pads and alternate basket placements.
Cons: Due to the newness of the course (sometime in 2008)... as to not mention all the cons...Hammomd Hill DGC is a work in progress, but very playable. I'm sure the involved managers know this and are working to make it better.
Other Thoughts: Hammond Hill DGC is a very new disc golf course. I have only been playing disc golf for about 1.5 years and I really liked playing it. (Nyet to Azar 002) A very challenging and scenic design with varying terrain. In time this course will be in the books as a go to course.
Yes...the course does need maintainence, but this is simply due to the newness of it. On the front there is alot of loose logs in the fairways and near some baskets (could be moved). Plus I think the fairways on the back nine could use some mowing to show direction Not to mention signage. Plus some of the Autumn Olives could be removed as well on the backside.
There were three of us playing (all of us new to Hammond) and although we had to be spotters and scouts for each other (to find baskets & typical for a new design) we did not lose one disc. But rest assured we were pooped when we finished #18. We discussed the course afterwards and unanamously decided we would be back to play Hammomd Hill DGC again very soon. Possibly making a day of it.
So I say thumbs down to Azar 002 who dis'ed Hammond. Hammond is (going to be) typical of a good Michigan course. I do hope though that the course managers do put in cement pads or rubber fly pads in the future. Oh yes...did I mention mowing?
I am going to give Hammond Hill a good rating (3.0) I hope in the future I can give it a 3.5. Who knows maybe (in time) it could be the Hammond Hill Disc Golf Country Club of Hastings. Rivaling the Hastings ball golf country club.

3 and a half hours.

1    5/16/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Azar002
Pros: If you are a TRUE professional, this course is for you. The baskets are new, with nice new chains. Much elevation change. As an incentive to throw straight, the overgrowth will eat up your disc if you are off course even a bit. Many holes "snake" through woods, on the edge of hills, over hills, and around clusters of trees.
Cons: Overgrown, overgrown, overgrown. Pads are barely worn, and "pro" pads are ridiculously long... "stupid long" as I called it. The 10 of us are good golfers, in our 5th season. On EVERY hole we had to first find the barely marked tees, then run ahead to find the basket. The first team that shot had to walk ahead and "spot" every drive, and even then at least one disc required a "search party" on every other hole or so. On this particular day the wind was strong. Scores for doubles on the back 9 were from +3 to +9. Again, I will say, the main con for this course: OVERGROWTH. Be prepared to spend about 3 hours on this course. You will spend a lot of time looking for discs, even the ones you watch land in the fairways (which was 10 inch grass the day we went). On hole 16 or so I decided to enjoy my time at this course, because I decided it would be the last time I ever be there.
Other Thoughts: 10 of us played this course. 2 sets of 5 singles on the front nine, and 5 sets of doubles on the back nine. The front nine was pretty nice, average score around +5. The back nine was unbelievable. Do not waste your time driving out to this course. I will not return, and if I do it will be because I was dragged there against my will.

Hammond Hill

5+    4/15/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: B-rad
Pros: A challenging course with lots of variety Probably 5 short, 3 med, 10 long (really long). Lots of blind tee offs. Good elevation change. Secluded...for now. They have Baskets now.
Cons: If you don't know where to go you won't know where to go. no pads yet.
Other Thoughts: I like pizza. I lost my lighter...I'm freakin out man!

Potential

1    3/20/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: FoleyT
This review was updated on 6/23/2009
Pros: Has the possibility of being a really nice course with some more work devoted to it. Some interesting holes, some extreme downhills, some beautiful scenery, a good mixture of wooded and meadow situations. To be fair, I may have played this course too early in the season, because only 3 baskets were in place, and everything else was indicated by pvc pipe and landscaping flags.
Cons: Course needs some better navigation aids. Several times I found myself wandering all over the place looking for the next hole, and many times I found both the long and short tees, but had no idea where I was shooting for. Tee areas needs a lot of work, many times you are teeing off in bumpy overgrown terrain, and be careful of turning an ankle wandering through the meadowlands on your way to the basket. It remains to be seen how much grooming is planned on for later in the year, but I can imagine the back nine becoming an overgrown mess with the potential for lots of wasted time searching for discs in the brush. If someone knows any more about this course, I'd be interested in hearing whether or not baskets are scheduled to be put in here later in the season?
Other Thoughts: Not sure if it is worth the long drive from Grand Rapids as the course stands right now, but I'd be willing to drive down and take another look later in the summer.

ADDENDUM (summer 2009): Nice new baskets (except missing on #4 for some reason). As I suspected, once the trees and undergrowth filled in on this course, it becomes an exercise in futility. You need a spotter on nearly every hole, and even then, be prepared to hunt for discs from time to time. Didn't even bother to play the back nine with all that long grass waiting to swallow up discs. Not really worth the long drive from Grand Rapids, unless you have a lot of time to devote to it.

1 2 3 4 Next >