Pawhuska, OK
The Lodge - Moccasin Creek Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #9 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #9 Tee: 340' The tee sign is incorrectly marked as 8.

Moccasin at the Lodge

1    7/26/2018   8/10/2018
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Moccasin Creek is a blast, and there are quite a few really great holes on this course. Concrete tees, and good Discatcher baskets. Tees have rocks engraved with hole number and distance.

Many of the baskets are visible from the tee, and there are some great looks. Hole 6 is a great risk and reward hole that feels great if you get the birdie. The tee shot on hole 9 is great, but has some teeth as I found out. The water lilies on the pond at hole 11 are beautiful and intimidating at the same time.

This is not an easy course, but it does have fair lines that will allow birdies. The mix of shots is outstanding. Water often comes into play with multiple ponds and the creek. Elevation change is pretty good on a few holes, with ups and downs.

It takes a lot of skill and consistency to play well here. The small mistakes must be avoided if you want to stay close to par. Good luck also helps.
Cons: Some of the holes were a bit bland, when compared to the more exciting ones. Wind could be a common part of playing here, and make things a lot more difficult.

Wouldn't mind a few markers to the next tee on a few holes. A course map might be useful.

Pay to play, but so worth it.
Other Thoughts: The Lodge has to be the coolest place that I have been in Oklahoma (which includes several other disc golf courses and a casino). I got there around 8:15 PM, just in time to arrange for camping and pitch my tent before sunset. I was warmly welcomed to the Taylor Ranch and ready to play the next morning.

I woke up to overcast skies, 85 and muggy. Not ideal conditions, but not bad for the end of July. It took about 5 holes to forget about the weather once I got started on the Moccasin Creek course. Holes 1 and 2 are good, 3 and 4 are better, and on 5 it gets crazy for a while. Then around hole 14 it ramps back down.

The crazy holes were incredible but the good holes are what kept me from giving a 5/5 rating. I think the crazy here is better than the crazy on the Island Course, but the good holes are better on the Island Course. It is hard to pick one over the other.

I didn't play very well, finishing at 10 over par. I was -1 after 8 holes, but fell apart beginning on hole 9, where I lost a great Destroyer. I still played way better than the day before, so that felt nice.

The Lodge should definitely be on your radar if you are going to be any where near NE Oklahoma. Two great courses, and and a spot to camp if you're road tripping it. The top two courses in the state may both be on this site. This would be a very fun place to enter a tourney.

Oklahoma's Best DG Destination

1    6/7/2017   7/22/2018
Review By: armiller
Pros:
- even more unique shots than the Island Course, with slightly increased difficulty
- one set of challenging tees, good baskets
- an assortment of unique and phenomenal wooded holes, nestled in among several that are "merely" excellent
Cons:
- the only downside I can think of is that some of the structures (e.g. bridge on pond hole) are starting to show wear; still structurally sound, but noticeably worn and will need some work in the near future
- far away from major airports?
It's a beautiful course in Osage Nation (see my Island Course review for a tad more info), in an area with beautiful trees and gentle elevation changes that make for challenging technical disc golf. At the same time, it's not so hilly or rugged that you're utterly exhausted after 18 holes. It ain't an afternoon in the park, but it ain't climbing a sixteener either. It's fun and physically demanding, but you'll make it. There's also shade on basically every hole. Just make sure you bring water for 18 holes since it doesn't really loop back to your car, but don't expect to need any survival skills unless you're playing on tornado or flash flood day (in other words, check with the meteorologist - the Oklahoma ones are among the best I've ever encountered).

I got the impression that the Island Course is often the favorite out here. Like at Selah, however, where Creekside blew me away, this course surprised and impressed me. Hole after hole was memorable, consistently challenging but with a line to hit, and with diverse and impressive basket placements. It's a long course, and there are a few holes toward beginning and end that were good golf holes but maybe too open (1-2, 15, 18) Nevertheless, there's no way around it: some of the wooded holes were among the best I've ever played. 9's downhill tunnel may have been my favorite. The elevated tee just beneath the tree canopy provided a fun and unique line, and a Teebird straight-to-hyzer was good enough to get me in the circle. The water carry on 12 was beautiful and also provided a nice layup zone to the right (I chose to go RHFH Zone-Zone for a laid-up par rather than risking water from the tee). 14's long par 4 required some decent distance to make a dogleg, followed by a decently long downhill approach. Plenty of others were special, including a creek-crossing down-and-up to a rocky green, and 14's very demanding long uphill shot. This whole course was, quite simply, a blast. I waited way too long to review this because I wanted to make it out a few more times before the review. I've since moved away from Oklahoma, so I figured the time was now.

Okay, did I mention the golf is awesome? Add to that how friendly the hosts are, and this place becomes even more attractive. I made three trips to the Lodge, and I had several interactions with Jim, Deborah, and family. I brought my family out for one Saturday, and Jim drove my wife and toddler around for a bit on some rougher parts of the course. Good people, and I wish them the absolute best. Having now played many more courses, both courses at the Lodge in Pawhuska remain among disc golf's elite. It would be a great disc golf destination for 2-3 days or more, with lodging or camping available. Contact Jim at the number on the DGCR page.

Rating: 4.5 for "phenomenal" was an easy decision for me. More courses like this, and disc golfers would go crazy trying to decide where to play. It's worth the trip!

The best course within an hour of Tulsa

1    3/3/2018   3/3/2018
Review By: discgolfer2l
Pros: This course is fantastic! Totally worth the drive. Here are the highlights:
This feels like a pro distance course. Plenty of 400 and even a few 500 plus holes. Lots of interesting water hazards and elevation changes. Some very tight fairways and a couple of peninsula style holes. They even have an elevated basket which is really fun.

I love the way this course plays along moccasin creek and uses the ravine surrounding the creek for some really great hole designs. It also makes for a nice break from the wind which can be pretty strong when you are out in the open.

Even the last three holes which are mostly out in the open have interesting elements. 16 has a dropped green which sits on the edge of a small cliff running down to a lake (don't over throw your drive or putt!), hole 17 has a peninsula style green and is 400+ ft so you really have to decide if you are going for it or will layup, and last hole has some interesting upright rock slabs they have added in to split up the 600+ft distance which could easily be use as a mandatory to make it even more challenging during tournament play.

This is a must play course!
Cons: It can get pretty windy out in the open. It is Oklahoma and I think players in the Ok/Texas/Kansas are used to that, but be advise you'll want to bring some discs to fight a headwind.
Other Thoughts: Really great course, I am already planning my next trip back there. I read reviews on DGCR for several years before I finally got out here to play and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long!

Great Course

2-4    8/2/2015   8/2/2015
Review By: bangmychains
Pros: Great mixture of hyzer, straight and anhyzer or right hand forehand shots. Also wonderful use of natural formations, gaps and creek to create a very nice course. There are open holes which are fairly long. A few tight window shots still in the 250-300 foot range and very cool pin placements. Course owners are wonderful people.
Cons: Nature is your restroom out here. I personally don't mind it but others might.
Other Thoughts: Must play this course in tandem with the Island course as well. Make a day of it, or bring your gear and camp.

The Lodge at Taylor Ranch

1    3/15/2015   3/19/2015
Review By: Avery Jenkins
This review was updated on 4/19/2015
Pros: These Disc Golf Courses located at the Lodge at Taylor Ranch are both considered to be the Top 2 courses in the state of Oklahoma.

The Moccasin Creek Course is the second course at the Lodge designed by Oklahoma Pro, Kevin McCoy in 2009. It's experienced a solid break in period throughout the years with the increasing number of players coming through on Disc Golf Road Trips as it's the #4 Top Rank Disc Golf Destination according to DGCourseReview.

It's also been the host to the 2009 Green Country Open PDGA National Tour Event and countless other local events and tournaments. Many of the best players in the US have gotten the opportunity to play these courses as they are conditioning very nicely.

The Moccasin Creek Course offers a solid mix of Open and Wooded Holes as well as some elevation and the Moccasin Creek that winds through the course as well as a pond that comes into play on a few of the holes. It's a Pro Level Course that offers long tee pads at this point but there's a chance that shorter tee pads will be installed in the future. This course offers many longer and challenging Par 4's that usuallyl take a long drive off the tee and a long upshot from the fairway to the basket. It might be a few longer drives for some players to complete and finish the hole, but don't be intimidated by the length as it's still a very entertaining round of Disc Golf.

It's a very challenging course that's going to test every facet of your game from both backhand to sidearm, you must have both if you want to really score well. The addition of wind which is very prevalent in Oklahoma can kick up the difficulty of this course at least a notch or two.

There's a practice area available with a pair of baskets and a huge driving range to warmup on before starting your round, that's always a plus at any course that you go to.

There is also camping, RV hookups and a Cabin for rent for those players that want to come out to make for a Disc Golf Weekend at the Lodge. Please call (918) 724-3121 for more information and availability.

The Moccasin Creek Course is personally my favorite of the two courses to play because of the open distance shots and some challenging approaches to the basket on some of the longer holes. It is a true "Thrower's Course" with a great variety of driver and midrange throws of the tee. A very beautiful course playing along the Moccasin Creek that presents it's own difficulty as the baskets are positioned very close to it at times. The course starts and finishes with some nice long Par 4's and distance is definitely rewarded on many of the finishing holes.

All in all, this course offers a wide variety of holes that challenge even the best in the world but a course that can be dialed back to be sought after by all skill levels that want to play it. These are courses that are a little off the beaten path but well worth the drive to have an experience that can't be offered at many of the city park courses, it's a rugged country course at it's best. Come on out and check out the Lodge, it's definitely a course that should be on your Wishlist!
Cons: There is a tremendous amount of work needed to maintain this course throughout the year including the collection of fallen debris and cutting of the grass fairways. This is a big course and lots of manual work is required to keep this course in tip top, playable shape.

The Taylor Family has been carefully maintaining these courses for years and have put a lot of money into maintaining these courses for everyone to come out and play! Team Jenkins spent several months and countless hours cutting down limbs & trees, clearing away brush and maintaining the beautiful holes out here. I only wish that I was able to put in more time into maintaining these courses because there is always a lot of work to be done.

Very thick rough off the fairways on some of the wooded holes where it's possible to take a shot or two to get back out, keep it in the fairways and you'll be just fine.

Very rough terrain on some of the holes along the back side of the property and the creek...dirt, rocks and possibly snakes. It's going to beat up your plastic if you're not keeping your discs in the fairway and close to the basket.

No bathroom amenities on the courses...yet.
Other Thoughts: These 2 Disc Golf Courses are listed as #1 and #2 in the state of Oklahoma and the Lodge Facility is #4 in the Top Ranked Destinations on DGCR: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/top_ranked.php

"Come here once, you're a friend...come here again, you're family" - The Taylor Family

Just another day in Paradise

1    6/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: Dan Ensor
Pros: -I played alone, and had never seen the course before. I never got lost, and never felt the need to walk the holes before playing. There were only 2 throws I would change playing again. It's very easy to navigate. The signs are accurate (other than one pin that had been moved recently) and very helpful.
-There seem to be chairs at every pin! Not benches. Chairs. That you might sit and bs with your friends at for a while, because this place is so beautiful!
-It's private property.
-The "fun factor" was exceptional for me. Lots of hole variety, etc. It punishes errant throws. I was very pleased playing placement golf and scoring just a few over par (I'm 910 rated).
-Peaceful and secluded. Other than the first and last holes, and a couple of holes playing along the highway, I could have forgotten other people existed for the day.
-Well maintained. The rough was rough, but the fairways were prisine.
Cons: The "cons" are barely cons.
-I wish there was a course map available (as I said, though, I had no issues with navigation)
-If you go off the fairway, it can get a little rough. There are some brush piles, etc.
-No other golfers. Seriously ... WTF Oklahomans? Get out and play some good golf! I very much expected to be able to join a group and have a guide, even without making plans with anyone. The more I played, the more I was shocked that wasn't the case.
Other Thoughts: I don't particularly enjoy reviewing courses, but I'm so happy that private courses like these, with wonderful people, wonderful golf, and wonderful scenery, are available, I must say something publicly. I doubt my review is helpful to someone preparing a bag for the course, but hopefully you can see what an amazing time I had here, and what a wonderful place this is even without a golf course.

While trying to find this course, I found two dissenting locations. So I called Jim to ask for directions (after I had missed a few turns). Who ended up being one of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever spoken to. The course is easy to find with proper directions.
I had heard there might be snakes about, so I was very cautious. It certainly looks like a great place for snakes to chill. I never saw a snake, though. I did see several newts/salamanders, turtles, hawks, and my first wild lizard! That alone made the trip a pleasure :) I would make a $5 donation to go on a nature walk here.

Rugged: Loved It

1    10/19/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Great baskets
Good concrete tee pads
Great mix of shots. Required every shot in my bag.
Mix of holes. Wooded. Heavily wooded. Water. Open.
Great access trails to get around on
Good workout
Not crowded
Some short some long holes
We had a blast.
Very challenging

Favorite Hole(s): #4, #5, #7, #12, #13
Loved all of them. No repeats. No bad holes.
Cons: Only one tee for each hole
Almost no signs when we played (not a big deal since we had a guide)
Rough walking (no big deal for me but can be a con for some)
Needsa directionals
No restrooms (NBD)
Bring your own water
Other Thoughts: Loved this course.
Recommend you bring a RTV or ATV of some kind. Camp on site.
Call ahead and stay a while.
This is a must play if you happen to be within 3-4hours of here.
Wonderful property with two topnotch courses
You won't regret the trip it takes to get here.

Both of these courses have a huge FUN FACTOR. Would be rated a 5 on fun alone, but, the very few cons keep it from being "perfect."

Will be back.
You will be too.

Oh! The Agony!

1    10/19/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: TylerM
Pros: This review is excruciating!
First off, I want to be very clear about how I rate courses. I favor amenities very heavily. This course had 0 amenities. Now for my review:

Wow!! That's what I thought on hole after hole while playing this course. Unbelievable layouts, awesome risk / reward shots, punishing roughs, you name it this course has it. Challenging in the third degree!

Nearly every hole was "epic". My favorites : 4,5,6,7,9,10, and 18. Oh, and most of the others as well! The mixture of left, right, straight, blind, elevation, water, trees, and just plain distance made every hole an adventure. It's been a month and a half since I played and I remember most holes in detail. No boring holes here!

Not crowded. Great baskets. Great concrete pads.

Cons: No amenities. Bathrooms are behind a tree. Bring your own water and snacks.

No signs. Without a guide it would be very hard the first time you played. Lots of blind shots and a little hard to navigate between some holes. This is why I can't give Moccasin Creek a 5.

Rough terrain is not suited for out of shape discers. You'll know you've done something when you're done here.

Other Thoughts: I waited a long time to do this review because I know this is the best course I have ever played. I had fun playing here even though my score was up closer to my IQ than my shoe size. This course is just plain MEAN! It just was not my favorite kind of disc golf. I play to relax and there is none of that here.

I do wish for that reason they would establish some am pads like they did on the Island course. With signs and short tees, this course would be so much better.

Play at the Lodge if you get a chance. This course along with the Island course are the ultimate in Oklahoma disc golf!

Moccasin Creek

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BigGAC1
Pros: Excellent design providing a challenging course that will require you to throw just about every shot in your bag. Very creative use of elevation - a rarity in Oklahoma. Water comes in to play on a number of holes, and is utilized well. Bridges allow easy access to pins on nearly every hole that water is guarding the pin. Very well maintained course. Natural hazards are well used. Also I really liked the suspended pin - a creative idea that I hadn't seen before.
Cons: Signage could have been better. It seemed like all holes had signs at one point or another but many of them are missing now. Also a few of the really long open holes pretty much just seemed like they were there only to give you access to the rest of the interesting holes - although they are needed if you are going to start and end at the house.
Other Thoughts: If you go in the summer or at least before it cools off significantly make sure you BRING WATER! This course is can be HOT. Jim the owner is a really nice guy - he allowed us to take a break in his house, fill up our water bottles and enjoy the AC while we rested between courses. Also they had just posted new signage directing between holes, which was super helpful because it would have been confusing without it. All around a great course - if you're in northern OK you should definitely check this course (and its sister course) out.

Awesome

1    4/15/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on a secluded private property, much of this course feels very far away from civilization. There are lots of minor to moderate elevation changes, adding some challenge and variety throughout the course. The creek comes into play on several holes, offering some tricky drives and a few risky greens.

The beginning and end of the course play in the field, with some smaller ponds in play and some longer distance holes. The middle of the course has some great wooded shots, with tight tunnels and a great balance of left and right turning holes. You'll need a full set of line shaping skills to be successful.

The concrete tees are in good shape, and have plenty of room. The signage is adequate to follow the course, with no major navigation hiccups. The signs on this course have hole layout, making it easier to figure out where to throw.
Cons: The open holes at the end feel a bit like filler to get back from the cool terrain back by the creek, but I understand the need to start and end by the clubhouse. A few spots have some long prairie grass, I'm not a big fan of that as a disc golf obstacle.
Other Thoughts: This is a great disc golf destination with two fantastic courses. Beginners are going to find this course pretty tough, there aren't any short tees and there is plenty of length and water. More experienced players will definitely be challenged, with a great variety of shots required to do well here. I would definitely recommend a stop if you're anywhere near here, and make sure to donate to the course fund to thank the owners for opening up this great pair of courses to the public.