Carrboro, NC
Anderson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #11 (Taken 11/2013)
Hole #11 Mid-Fairway

< Prev 1 2 3
Intriguing yet frustrating

2-4    7/1/2020   7/1/2020
Review By: Rastnav
Pros: This is a review from someone who is currently fairly new to the game, with a noodle arm. I'll attempt to assess both one time (traveling) play, as well as repeatability.

This course is a fairly tight wooded course with some demanding lines. A course guide might be recommended if possible in order to point out the available lines to the basket.

Despite statements that the course is "short", I'm not sure that this is really the case. The course plays at 4478 feet and only has a single set of tees. By PDGA Course Design guidelines, this is essentially at the length limit for a single tee course, as they require a "recreational level" tee be available at every course. Thus, for new players, this course actually plays quite long compared to what you are used to. In comparison to what is likely the most celebrated course in the area, Valley Springs DGC, the average length per hole of about ~250 feet is the same as the White tees there.

What the course really lacks is a second set of tees for more advanced players. It appears from other reviews that at one point someone installed some version of these, but I saw no indication that they are currently available.

So from a "new/rec" level player perspective, here are the pros:
- You definitely feel tested by the course. Even a par here feels well earned.
- You will be asked to throw distances and lines which have not yet been asked of you, if you have heretofore only played the rec tees. This will begin to stretch your game.
- There are some quite interesting holes, with elements like significant guardian trees, or basket grottos, that ask you to get creative either on your drive or, more frequently, your upshot.
- Apparently this course used to suffer from not being "beat in" enough, but that is no longer the case. The fairways and greens on the course are quite defined.
Cons: - See all of the things mentioned as pros. Any and all of those, and especially the combination of all of them, could be also cons for the rec/new level player. Most holes seem to ask something I am not capable of.
- Even throwing a putter just into the gap mostly isn't really a good choice. You are frequently left with a tricky 150 foot shot without much of an attackable line.
- The navigation is absolutely atrocious if you haven't played here before. There are walking trails crisscrossing with the DGC beaten in paths and no signage anywhere indicating the way to the next hole. For example, #13 is 200 yards away from #12 basket, over a road, tucked deep behind some trees near a baseball field and no pathing signage. The tee signs only have yardage. Be prepared to scout. (I'm tempted to go out with some cheap survey stakes and just add some indicators of pathing at some point).
- The course doesn't seem like it is quite well maintained enough. I have a feeling that some of the intruding branches into the fairway from relatively young trees aren't intended to be there.
- Sometimes I just couldn't see a line to the basket at all. Holes that require you to push straight for 100 feet and then turn sharply for another 150 don't seem to be in my wheelhouse at the moment. Some holes have quite the variety of seemingly random trees in the fairway 50 feet past the only hyzer gap that would let you get to the basket otherwise. Good shots frequently seem to be punished.
- The par 4, despite being another reviewers favorite, seems more like an exercise in plinko. The best play seems to be to lay up with a putter and then throw well right or left of the basket and hope you get lucky when you crash back in. I think removing about 10 trees, 4 of them already dead, would improve this hole quite a bit.
- Hole #9, in order to get to the basket, requires you to hit a 5 foot gap about 100 feet off the tee, and then stay in a 5 foot wide tunnel for 50 feet. If you hit a tree without clearing the tunnel, you likely won't have a path to the basket for your upshot. It's only 191 feet, but it seems fairly capricious to me.
- It is an NC woods course with some low-lying areas and a nearby pond. Bugs and poison ivy abound, but that's NC for you.
Other Thoughts: - After having played this course twice, I feel like the replay value is much higher than it is for single time play.
- I could see coming out here at intervals to see where my game is, now that I have an idea of what to do on the course.
- That said, I won't be trying to play this frequently. Despite having similar scoring on the Valley Springs course from the white tees, I felt like Valley Springs was far more fair.

So, altogether, I'd probably skip this course if I was only going to play one round, but otherwise I'd say it's worth it to get a chance to test your game, or even push it to higher levels, if you are still a relatively new player.

Carrboro

1    9/20/2019   9/20/2019
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 7/10/2020
Pros: Anderson is a fun, tight, technical layout. You don't need drivers or a big arm on this layout, just accurate shot making.
- There are some tight layouts here. Look no further than #2, one of the better sub-200-foot layouts you'll find on any course. It's an uphill, straight-to-slight dogleg left shot. Keep your throw tight and there's plenty of room for the disc to do its thing. Basket it just above a slight wall. This was a fun birdie hole.
- Holes are technical but fair. Doglegs all had an appropriate level of bend to them. The longer the layout, the wider fairways were. Even on shots that kicked into the woods, I was able to always get back onto the fairway, or hole out from 100 feet out, hello sweet birdie on #4.
- If you get too aggressive, it may bite you. Play judicious. Play smart. Trust your feel on the tee pad and whether it's a hole to be aggressive on, or to just land in the middle of the fairway and have an easy up-and-down for a par 3.
- It's the exception not the rule to have a course with so many similar layouts not to feel repetitive. This is the exception as I felt each hole was a new challenge and didn't ever feel overwhelmed by the similarities of the layouts. Now, if this were my home course and I played it often, I may have a different feeling then.
- Course does a good job of interspersing easier holes with the challenging ones. #1 & 2 are birdie chances, #8 & 9 are easier, as are #15 & 16. There are others as well throughout. The point is if you do get a couple birdies (or birdie chances) in a row, it's a lot easier to play smarter when a layout doesn't suit your game.
- Very nice overall park. On a Saturday morning, there were people at the dog park, fishing in the pond, walking the trails, and at the ball fields in the far back.
Cons: Signage and navigation could be better. Throughout the course there are many times trails intersect the course, there are long transitions, or a lack of a clear transition. For example, after finishing #2, there's a wider, more defined path and a lesser, scraggly one. I followed the bigger path and ended up at the tee for #4. HINT: Take the road less travelled.
- Then, after #12, you cross the park road to get to #13. Once you finally find the tee for #13, there's no sign where the basket or even the fairway are supposed to be. I had to check all the slight openings in the woods to find which one is the fairway. Arrows, a tee sign, and a cleared fairway all would have been helpful here.
- To expand on that thought, the tee signs simply state hole number, length and par. After that, you're on your own. With the short holes, it's not an issue. But on the several holes where you could use the help, boy better tee signs would really be nice.
- The course does lack variety and that means there aren't many holes that stand out. There isn't a signature or elite layout. None stand out from the pack or make you think, 'wow, that was great' or 'wow, that was hard.' I'd have to say #15 is the best. More on that later.
- I guess on a bad day, the fairways are going to seem tighter than they really are, and the frustrations will multiply quickly. This is a course of not a 1,000 cut, just 18. You shouldn't have a blow-up hole, but I could see a string of bogeys adding up and you start to wonder how you're bogeying a lot of holes in the 200 - 250-foot range.
- Maybe I don't know how science works, so I could be off on this observation. I'm not sure how much play the course gets. My basis for this theory is that I walked into spiderwebs on three to four holes and knocked down at least several more throughout the round. Maybe spiders are very busy at night.
- I didn't spot a bench or trash can on the course proper. They were only noticed near the ball fields and picnic areas near #13 - 15.
- The path from #18 back to the parking lot is way too narrow and had a 'creep' factor to it. You're walking right along the fence for the dog park. Because the path is narrow, it felt like I was sneaking around the outside of it. I did have dogs yapping at me and people watching me make my way around. So, either this path needs to be improved or there's a different path a different direction in which case signage needs to be improved.
Other Thoughts: Anderson Park is a solid compliment to UNC's top-notch course. I started a half-day trip by teeing off here at 7:45 on a Saturday morning. 45 minutes later I was leaving, more than pleased with my round and the course itself.
- I could nitpick the design and its flaws. There is room in the park for longer, more challenging layouts. But, I'm pleased with what the course does offer.
- A more valid nitpick may be about the course and its intended audience. With an average hole length of less than 250-feet (sub 4500-feet overall), this is right up the alley for beginners and casual players. However, the tighter fairways don't appeal to beginners. A casual player can throw a disc 250-feet. That same casual player could easily hit trees multiple times on that same hole and end up with a big score.
- The best holes on the course were the ones that incorporated the limited elevation. #1 & 2 fit that criteria. The best though is #15, a slight downhill, 226-foot dogleg left layout. You do have to avoid trees in the fairway. If you do, you should be sitting pretty. A well-designed hole that makes one hope for more holes such as this.
- The course is one big loop. #10 is essentially the furthest point from the parking lot. There isn't a bail out spot unless you want to walk a long way back to the parking lot. As mentioned early, it's a quick round where almost any solo player should be done in an hour or less.
- - Overall, I enjoyed my round here. A good day of throwing will yield a lot of birdies. A bad day of throwing will yield a lot of simple pars and frustrating bogeys.
- I'm giving this a 2.5 rating. It may be slightly better or slightly worse than your average course, but it clearly falls right in that middle range. I played here and Southern Community Park the same day and I liked this course slightly better. On a different day, that opinion may change. They're comparable and are worth playing together.....after playing UNC's course first.

5+    1/10/2019   1/10/2019
Review By: jamesthenpc
Pros: This is the course I first learned to play on with my girlfriend. It is a short course with mostly wooded holes. This is decent, but not great course for a beginner because there are many holes where you simply do not have a clear line. This is especially true on the middle holes from around 7 to 12. It's a good course for technical short game shots albeit with some frustration.

-Short course you can play in a timely manner.

-Not very busy, I have rarely ever seen anyone playing at the same time as me.

-A good variety of left and right leaning holes.

-Good signage, we never had an issue finding our way.

-Baskets are fine, no glaring defects.
Cons: -Summertime it can become very thick with grass/weeds as it doesn't receive as many visitors/upkeep from the park.

-Very difficult lines to throw in some holes/tight fairways which can be hard for a beginner.

-Short course, no real chances to throw bombs (if that's your thing). A 225 foot shot will park you next to most holes.

-Summertime was really bad for insects but that's NC weather.

-Many downed trees from the storms recently that have not been managed. Can be a cool addition to some holes, if you're into that.

Other Thoughts: This is our stop if we don't feel like playing a longer wooded course like Southern Village Community (my favorite course in the area) or UNC's course which is a much more diverse, albeit tiring affair at times. We just have to remember that some shots especially hole 10 are extremely difficult to get a proper angle and you are not going to be throwing bombs. I got my first and only ace here so it has some sentimental value, but I see the course for what it is. An acceptable course that could see improvements in tree/bush management.

MEH

5+    6/6/2017   6/6/2017
Review By: Jonjey
Pros: Course is in a good location just outside of the main Carrboro area. If it weren't for the cons it would be a perfectly acceptable 2.5
Cons: The park itself is a little too bug ridden, sometimes smelly, and generally overgrown. Hole 2, for instance, has a little creek running through it that is... Orange? And the hole has tons of overgrown brush to the right of the fairway. One hole (I think 7?) is labeled a par 4 and it's just a typical 300 foot wooded hole, should definitely be a par 3, not that it matters much but I guess it just reflects poorly on the person who made the hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall it's just a very mediocre, forgettable course. Go to Southern Village if you want to play a real course in the area, it's practically around the corner.

1    7/6/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Anderson is a short, wooded course on the western outskirts of Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Of the three public courses in Orange County, it's a distant third for intermediate players and up. UNC is the must-play; Southern Community is above average and worth the trip if you have time for two courses. I would recommend Anderson if you like very wooded courses, want to work on your short game, or if you're a course-bagging addict and need that notch on your belt. But if you plan a special trip for the express purpose of playing this course, you'll be disappointed.

+ Very short, but still a decent challenge due to the narrowness of the fairways.

+ Beginners can manage it, because it's short, so this course would be acceptable for introducing someone to the game. I wouldn't say it's *great* in this respect (reasons below in the Con's), but it's OK.

+ Good mix of hyzer, anhyzer, flick, and tunnel shots.

+ Decent elevation changes.

+ Up-to-date tee signs with correct yardage.
Cons: - My number one and two gripes on this course are the mud and the underbrush. You'll ruin a pair of shoes, lose a disc, or both. I like wooded courses, but I also like a nice, relaxing round of disc golf. I didn't really get that here. I was worried about footing, trying not to slip in the mud, avoiding poison ivy, and focusing on retaining discs as opposed to having fun or shooting well.

- To go along with safety and worrying about slipping, the green carpet tees were a struggle. (Disclaimer: I have terrible knees and probably worry about this more than most.)

- No navigational signs directing to the next tee. Most of the time, the trail is easy to follow and the next tee is close. However, after hole 12, there's a long walk across the road and no signs pointing to #13. You have to hunt for it. (It's by the left field line of the baseball field.)

- The 17th fairway was a jungle river when I played it. The entire fairway was mud or standing water and the underbrush was so thick, I didn't find it walkable or playable. After skipping 17, I couldn't get to 18 either, as it is behind a fenced in dog park.

- If you're looking for a much better wooded course, Southern Community is 10 minutes away. That course has short, medium, and long pin positions, which rotate in the winter (longs), spring (mediums), and summer (shorts). The Southern Community short layout offers an equal challenge to Anderson. It's slightly longer, much fairer, has less mud and underbrush and a higher fun factor.
Other Thoughts: Anderson Park is worth playing if you want to up your course stats or practice upshots and putter drives on a wooded course...but there are better alternatives in the area.

A beginner's review of the course

2-4    12/20/2015   12/20/2015
Review By: jbmecham
Pros: I've been fortunate to play this course in the month of December numerous times on weekends with sunny days a very little course traffic. I've only been playing for two months, but I like this course a lot. Yes, it's narrow, as others have said...and yes, it's short, but if you want to work on your technical game, rather than long open drives, this is the course for you. There's very little traffic and even with all the cold rain we've gotten this late fall/early winter, this course had only two holes 17 & 18 that were at all muddy. Contrast this with UNC...the majority of the hooks there are "mud boots required" situations! So, it depends on how you look at it, but this is a quick one hour play in the woods, and other than hole 6, which had no clear fairway, it's not unfair, just tight and technical.
Cons: If you don't like tight fairways in the woods, this is nit the course for you. If you do, I suggest you play it in the winter first so you can learn the pin placement. It assists out current change. And the tee box - I've only played when it's dry, but I'm sure the turf tees quirks be slick, which is unfortunate.
Other Thoughts: I tend to use white discs, which show up well on the (brown) leafy forest floor. I'd suggest the use of high contrast color discs!
There's little underbrush on most holes, though I see that others have commented on copious poison ivy and oak...I have yet to see any, but it is winter, so keep your eyes peeled!
I'd suggest the user of the online map, as the transition from 2 to 3 and 12 to 13 are not obvious!

I think the hole is over here.... maybe

1    5/3/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: Fox-17
Pros: - Very technical course.
- Narrow fairways.
- Lots of elevation change.
- Varied length of holes.
- Pins in good Shape
Cons: ** NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY**
**Poison Ivy and Poison Oak run rampant (even on fairways) makes it difficult to find a place to put your bag.**
- No such thing as a clear shot on some holes
- Some Pins are not remotely visible from tee, #4 is a perfect example of this. Another issues was found on #9. From the Tee, the Pin appears to be straight ahead, however the Pin in view is actually for #11, the Pin for #9 also isn't visible from Tee, it is far to the left out of view.
- Requires Map or previous walk-thru to know where you are going, otherwise it's trial and error.
- Tees poorly marked and hard to see due to color (AstroTurf), also can be slick. (related to previous con)
Other Thoughts: Poison Ivy and Poison Oak abound on this course. I will probably not return to this course until next winter, or perhaps late fall when the this is no longer an issue.

Also, with such little area to call a fairway the course is quite frustrating for the beginner - intermediate player.

Fun technical course.

1    2/9/2014   2/10/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: Great baskets, decent tee pads. Really makes you use your technical game. No huge open bombers, but the course is just long enough where you can pull out a driver ever now and then.
Cons: Astro turf pads can be a bit slick. A bit of monotony with the repetitive woods shots. Not bad use of the land though.
Other Thoughts: Many people have reviewed this course saying the fairways are too narrow and are unfair. We disagreed with that. There are definitely some tight shots, but nothing egregious. A fun technical round.

Disc Golf Pinball

1    8/12/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
Pros: -Good course to work on your technical game
-Very little traffic
Cons: -Some lanes are hard to see
-Most baskets are impossible to see from the tee
-No opportunities to test your arm
-Little variation
Other Thoughts: Disc Golf Pinball- if you like a challenge, this may be the course for you. When I saw the first hole, I was intrigued, and when I saw the second, even more so. Unfortunately this quickly wore off. Anderson Park is a wooded course, and that's about all. There's no place here to bust out your max distance driver-miss a fairway, and you'll pay dearly. The course is full of very tight windows and narrow fairways that will test even very good players. Unfortunately, it has more than its share of holes where you throw and pray that wherever your disc hits, it will either bounce back into the fairway or not into the brush.

Personally, I'm not a fan of wooded courses like this, but objectively, I still see a number of problems that keeps this course from getting a higher recommendation. First and foremost are holes with no obvious fairway. Hole 7 is an excellent example of this flaw. Holes like this infuriate me, but even worse are holes where there is a clear lane, but they haven't yet designed discs that fly in the manner the fairway suggests. Holes 10 and 15 fall into this category. Problem holes like this make a course seem unfair. And then you have holes like 13, which seem fairly straightforward, if not somewhat difficult, but poor course maintenance ruins the hole.

Another disappointing thing for me was the tee signs. Frankly, I had a hard time believing the distances on the signs were correct, but their real downfall was that the hole number and distance were the only things on the sign. On many holes I had to walk over halfway to the basket before I could make an attempt at throwing a disc because I couldn't see the basket from the tee. As I said, miss the fairway and you pay- the woods around the fairways are dense. After we lost a disc on 14, the solo player behind us started throwing on us because he didn't know we were there. Not having proper signage is a definite problem, then, especially when you consider you can see the basket for hole 11 straight ahead off the 8th tee, and you definitely can't see the basket for 8 from there.

The last thing that brings this course down is the little decisions that just leave you dumbfounded and have you scratching your head. If you didn't know where the tee for 13 was when you left 12, you'd never find it. And the impossible curve of 15 is even more confusing when you realize you are throwing 15 feet to the right of the tee for 16, and that a net has been erected behind 16's tee to keep discs from hitting anyone on that tee. Those two holes are both losers to me. The Astroturf tees seem neat, but I'm told they are terribly slippery when your feet are wet, and I constantly felt like every time I went to throw off of one I was standing on the edge of the tee, where the turf did not feel level.

If this type of course is your thing and you don't mind high scores, spider webs, and mosquitoes, than more power to you.

Surprising Challenge

2-4    5/29/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/7/2013
Pros: This course was surprisingly challenging. The fairways are very tight and the course has some angles that aren't seen too often.

On face value, the course seems much like so many wooded courses in the area. But this one might just test you more. It's tighter than Valley Springs. The holes are generally longer than those at Bethesda or Southern. It is worth at least one round.

Additionally, it boasts the best teepads that I've seen. I'm not usually one who cares too much about tee pads. Don't mind dirt if there is a quality sign but I love the turf here.
Cons: Unfortunately, much of the challenge stems from two factors. First, many of the angles are cut sharper than a disc is supposed to go. Many of the holes cut to the left or right so early that there is no chance go right to the basket from soem short holes.

The bigger issue is the plinko nature of many of the fairways. The fairway may not be actually tight. It will just have trees scattered across the middle of it. There are many holes that really don't offer realistic paths to the pin.

And while the first twelve flows pretty well, it is impossible to find thirteen without a map. I can't even recommend a next tee arrow, you would need about a half dozen to direct people there. Just bring the map or memorize that transition before you go.
Other Thoughts: Taking a bunch of key trees down could make for some nice flight paths. The fairways are fine. Just take down the individual trees blocking the middle of them.

< Prev 1 2 3