Carrboro, NC
Anderson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #3 (Taken 11/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3

5+    1/10/2019   1/10/2019
Review By: jamesthenpc
Pros: This is the course I first learned to play on with my girlfriend. It is a short course with mostly wooded holes. This is decent, but not great course for a beginner because there are many holes where you simply do not have a clear line. This is especially true on the middle holes from around 7 to 12. It's a good course for technical short game shots albeit with some frustration.

-Short course you can play in a timely manner.

-Not very busy, I have rarely ever seen anyone playing at the same time as me.

-A good variety of left and right leaning holes.

-Good signage, we never had an issue finding our way.

-Baskets are fine, no glaring defects.
Cons: -Summertime it can become very thick with grass/weeds as it doesn't receive as many visitors/upkeep from the park.

-Very difficult lines to throw in some holes/tight fairways which can be hard for a beginner.

-Short course, no real chances to throw bombs (if that's your thing). A 225 foot shot will park you next to most holes.

-Summertime was really bad for insects but that's NC weather.

-Many downed trees from the storms recently that have not been managed. Can be a cool addition to some holes, if you're into that.

Other Thoughts: This is our stop if we don't feel like playing a longer wooded course like Southern Village Community (my favorite course in the area) or UNC's course which is a much more diverse, albeit tiring affair at times. We just have to remember that some shots especially hole 10 are extremely difficult to get a proper angle and you are not going to be throwing bombs. I got my first and only ace here so it has some sentimental value, but I see the course for what it is. An acceptable course that could see improvements in tree/bush management.

MEH

5+    6/6/2017   6/6/2017
Review By: Jonjey
Pros: Course is in a good location just outside of the main Carrboro area. If it weren't for the cons it would be a perfectly acceptable 2.5
Cons: The park itself is a little too bug ridden, sometimes smelly, and generally overgrown. Hole 2, for instance, has a little creek running through it that is... Orange? And the hole has tons of overgrown brush to the right of the fairway. One hole (I think 7?) is labeled a par 4 and it's just a typical 300 foot wooded hole, should definitely be a par 3, not that it matters much but I guess it just reflects poorly on the person who made the hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall it's just a very mediocre, forgettable course. Go to Southern Village if you want to play a real course in the area, it's practically around the corner.

1    7/6/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Anderson is a short, wooded course on the western outskirts of Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Of the three public courses in Orange County, it's a distant third for intermediate players and up. UNC is the must-play; Southern Community is above average and worth the trip if you have time for two courses. I would recommend Anderson if you like very wooded courses, want to work on your short game, or if you're a course-bagging addict and need that notch on your belt. But if you plan a special trip for the express purpose of playing this course, you'll be disappointed.

+ Very short, but still a decent challenge due to the narrowness of the fairways.

+ Beginners can manage it, because it's short, so this course would be acceptable for introducing someone to the game. I wouldn't say it's *great* in this respect (reasons below in the Con's), but it's OK.

+ Good mix of hyzer, anhyzer, flick, and tunnel shots.

+ Decent elevation changes.

+ Up-to-date tee signs with correct yardage.
Cons: - My number one and two gripes on this course are the mud and the underbrush. You'll ruin a pair of shoes, lose a disc, or both. I like wooded courses, but I also like a nice, relaxing round of disc golf. I didn't really get that here. I was worried about footing, trying not to slip in the mud, avoiding poison ivy, and focusing on retaining discs as opposed to having fun or shooting well.

- To go along with safety and worrying about slipping, the green carpet tees were a struggle. (Disclaimer: I have terrible knees and probably worry about this more than most.)

- No navigational signs directing to the next tee. Most of the time, the trail is easy to follow and the next tee is close. However, after hole 12, there's a long walk across the road and no signs pointing to #13. You have to hunt for it. (It's by the left field line of the baseball field.)

- The 17th fairway was a jungle river when I played it. The entire fairway was mud or standing water and the underbrush was so thick, I didn't find it walkable or playable. After skipping 17, I couldn't get to 18 either, as it is behind a fenced in dog park.

- If you're looking for a much better wooded course, Southern Community is 10 minutes away. That course has short, medium, and long pin positions, which rotate in the winter (longs), spring (mediums), and summer (shorts). The Southern Community short layout offers an equal challenge to Anderson. It's slightly longer, much fairer, has less mud and underbrush and a higher fun factor.
Other Thoughts: Anderson Park is worth playing if you want to up your course stats or practice upshots and putter drives on a wooded course...but there are better alternatives in the area.

A beginner's review of the course

2-4    12/20/2015   12/20/2015
Review By: jbmecham
Pros: I've been fortunate to play this course in the month of December numerous times on weekends with sunny days a very little course traffic. I've only been playing for two months, but I like this course a lot. Yes, it's narrow, as others have said...and yes, it's short, but if you want to work on your technical game, rather than long open drives, this is the course for you. There's very little traffic and even with all the cold rain we've gotten this late fall/early winter, this course had only two holes 17 & 18 that were at all muddy. Contrast this with UNC...the majority of the hooks there are "mud boots required" situations! So, it depends on how you look at it, but this is a quick one hour play in the woods, and other than hole 6, which had no clear fairway, it's not unfair, just tight and technical.
Cons: If you don't like tight fairways in the woods, this is nit the course for you. If you do, I suggest you play it in the winter first so you can learn the pin placement. It assists out current change. And the tee box - I've only played when it's dry, but I'm sure the turf tees quirks be slick, which is unfortunate.
Other Thoughts: I tend to use white discs, which show up well on the (brown) leafy forest floor. I'd suggest the use of high contrast color discs!
There's little underbrush on most holes, though I see that others have commented on copious poison ivy and oak...I have yet to see any, but it is winter, so keep your eyes peeled!
I'd suggest the user of the online map, as the transition from 2 to 3 and 12 to 13 are not obvious!

I think the hole is over here.... maybe

1    5/3/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: Fox-17
Pros: - Very technical course.
- Narrow fairways.
- Lots of elevation change.
- Varied length of holes.
- Pins in good Shape
Cons: ** NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY**
**Poison Ivy and Poison Oak run rampant (even on fairways) makes it difficult to find a place to put your bag.**
- No such thing as a clear shot on some holes
- Some Pins are not remotely visible from tee, #4 is a perfect example of this. Another issues was found on #9. From the Tee, the Pin appears to be straight ahead, however the Pin in view is actually for #11, the Pin for #9 also isn't visible from Tee, it is far to the left out of view.
- Requires Map or previous walk-thru to know where you are going, otherwise it's trial and error.
- Tees poorly marked and hard to see due to color (AstroTurf), also can be slick. (related to previous con)
Other Thoughts: Poison Ivy and Poison Oak abound on this course. I will probably not return to this course until next winter, or perhaps late fall when the this is no longer an issue.

Also, with such little area to call a fairway the course is quite frustrating for the beginner - intermediate player.

Fun technical course.

1    2/9/2014   2/10/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: Great baskets, decent tee pads. Really makes you use your technical game. No huge open bombers, but the course is just long enough where you can pull out a driver ever now and then.
Cons: Astro turf pads can be a bit slick. A bit of monotony with the repetitive woods shots. Not bad use of the land though.
Other Thoughts: Many people have reviewed this course saying the fairways are too narrow and are unfair. We disagreed with that. There are definitely some tight shots, but nothing egregious. A fun technical round.

Disc Golf Pinball

1    8/12/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
Pros: -Good course to work on your technical game
-Very little traffic
Cons: -Some lanes are hard to see
-Most baskets are impossible to see from the tee
-No opportunities to test your arm
-Little variation
Other Thoughts: Disc Golf Pinball- if you like a challenge, this may be the course for you. When I saw the first hole, I was intrigued, and when I saw the second, even more so. Unfortunately this quickly wore off. Anderson Park is a wooded course, and that's about all. There's no place here to bust out your max distance driver-miss a fairway, and you'll pay dearly. The course is full of very tight windows and narrow fairways that will test even very good players. Unfortunately, it has more than its share of holes where you throw and pray that wherever your disc hits, it will either bounce back into the fairway or not into the brush.

Personally, I'm not a fan of wooded courses like this, but objectively, I still see a number of problems that keeps this course from getting a higher recommendation. First and foremost are holes with no obvious fairway. Hole 7 is an excellent example of this flaw. Holes like this infuriate me, but even worse are holes where there is a clear lane, but they haven't yet designed discs that fly in the manner the fairway suggests. Holes 10 and 15 fall into this category. Problem holes like this make a course seem unfair. And then you have holes like 13, which seem fairly straightforward, if not somewhat difficult, but poor course maintenance ruins the hole.

Another disappointing thing for me was the tee signs. Frankly, I had a hard time believing the distances on the signs were correct, but their real downfall was that the hole number and distance were the only things on the sign. On many holes I had to walk over halfway to the basket before I could make an attempt at throwing a disc because I couldn't see the basket from the tee. As I said, miss the fairway and you pay- the woods around the fairways are dense. After we lost a disc on 14, the solo player behind us started throwing on us because he didn't know we were there. Not having proper signage is a definite problem, then, especially when you consider you can see the basket for hole 11 straight ahead off the 8th tee, and you definitely can't see the basket for 8 from there.

The last thing that brings this course down is the little decisions that just leave you dumbfounded and have you scratching your head. If you didn't know where the tee for 13 was when you left 12, you'd never find it. And the impossible curve of 15 is even more confusing when you realize you are throwing 15 feet to the right of the tee for 16, and that a net has been erected behind 16's tee to keep discs from hitting anyone on that tee. Those two holes are both losers to me. The Astroturf tees seem neat, but I'm told they are terribly slippery when your feet are wet, and I constantly felt like every time I went to throw off of one I was standing on the edge of the tee, where the turf did not feel level.

If this type of course is your thing and you don't mind high scores, spider webs, and mosquitoes, than more power to you.

Surprising Challenge

2-4    5/29/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/7/2013
Pros: This course was surprisingly challenging. The fairways are very tight and the course has some angles that aren't seen too often.

On face value, the course seems much like so many wooded courses in the area. But this one might just test you more. It's tighter than Valley Springs. The holes are generally longer than those at Bethesda or Southern. It is worth at least one round.

Additionally, it boasts the best teepads that I've seen. I'm not usually one who cares too much about tee pads. Don't mind dirt if there is a quality sign but I love the turf here.
Cons: Unfortunately, much of the challenge stems from two factors. First, many of the angles are cut sharper than a disc is supposed to go. Many of the holes cut to the left or right so early that there is no chance go right to the basket from soem short holes.

The bigger issue is the plinko nature of many of the fairways. The fairway may not be actually tight. It will just have trees scattered across the middle of it. There are many holes that really don't offer realistic paths to the pin.

And while the first twelve flows pretty well, it is impossible to find thirteen without a map. I can't even recommend a next tee arrow, you would need about a half dozen to direct people there. Just bring the map or memorize that transition before you go.
Other Thoughts: Taking a bunch of key trees down could make for some nice flight paths. The fairways are fine. Just take down the individual trees blocking the middle of them.

All in All, I Like It

2-4    4/26/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: BuzzSharpe
This review was updated on 5/15/2016
Pros: Astroturf covered concrete tee pads may be the coolest I've ever played. A challenging wooded course without being heart breaking. Paths between holes are very evident making navigation relatively easy, especially with the occasional directional sign to the next tee, except between 12 & 13..
Cons: Very tight, with some briars, brambles, underbrush and tree trash, making losing plastic likely, though I refused to give up on my errant shots and did manage to find them all. There does need to be signage directing to 13 from 12.
Other Thoughts: A Russell Schwartz course, huh? Bet it all but killed him that he couldn't put a basket in any disc disappearing water.

The Andersons

2-4    7/7/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - It's a short tight and technical type course that's all in the woods. Requires you to be very accurate through tight gaps on hyzers and annys.

There's a bit of elevation change on some holes.

The underbrush off the fairway is fairly thin here which is a plus because it's so tight and you'll find yourself in it.

There are multiple tees here but only the longs have pads. The shorts are a good way to practice upshots in the 120-200 range.

Overall it's a good place to work on your short game and shaping shorter shots.

Equipment - The baskets are in good shape. There are signs showing the hole # and distance. There's a map at the beginning.

Atmosphere - It's an fairly nice park, not the most pristine or best looking wooded course you'll ever see but it stays fairly clean. There's never anyone here so if you want a quiet round all to yourself this is the place.
Cons: Layout - For what it is it's just to tight. To many single trees were left stuck in fairways that makes getting to the basket more luck than skill sometimes.

Highly repetitive, most holes are just a short hyzer or anny and in a few places you can't even see the basket even though it's short.

It's just not a fun course to play. It's boring and a bit frustrating at times when it shouldn't be. I think the designer just tried to hard to make it difficult when he should of thought about playability first.

Equipment - Only the longs have a pad and those pads suck. They're turf and in more than a few places they're not level. Some of the worst pads I've seen.

I wish the signs gave you a pic of the hole layout, especially since some shots are kinda blind.

Atmosphere - There's better looking courses in the area and because this one rarely gets played there's bugs and spiderwebs everywhere. I'm pretty sure I got chiggers out here.
Other Thoughts: I don't like this course and there's much better choices in the area. It's not terrible and there are steps that could be taken to make it much better but it's been open a while and I don't see anything happening in that vain.

It's just incredibly repetitive and needs to have more trees chopped down. If you're coming in from out of town go play UNC, Leigh Farm or Valley Springs before you come here.

< Prev 1 2 3