Cypress, TX
Wortham Trail Share
Uploaded By: ThePatrick Hole #7 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole 7

Wortham Trail Has No Identity!

1    9/24/2017   9/24/2017
This review was updated on 10/24/2017
Pros: I see Wortham Trail being this course that is stuck somewhere in the middle of things having no identity. The course is recreational with intermediate distances. Intermediate level players might play here once but will never return. They will be bored by the course's open design and lack of stimulating holes. Rec players, too, will be bored to tears with the design and longer open holes. It's too long for beginners or families. So who will play here? Really, I don't know? Maybe some middle school kids who live in this housing project and can't yet drive to Texas Army Trail DGC.

This course suffers from three major flaws. # 1. There is no parking. There are a few spots on the street in front. # 2. Navigating this course is nightmarish. The tiny ( 3' x 6') concrete pads are difficult to locate in the tall grass anyway. There are no signs to look for. The # 5 pad has the hole #, par and distance very neatly stenciled on in green paint. What happened to the rest? Did your paint can dry up? The lovely course map and my nice on-line map did not match up. And the pads are confusing as they aren't exactly facing the basket. # 3. The grass is just high enough to be uncomfortable, hide your discs and soak your feet, if you play in the morning with the dew on the grass.

This large park seems to be a mecca for walkers and joggers. Their trail might be about 2 miles around, might be 200 miles, I don't know as I was a little perplexed by the whole situation here. There is a nice play area close to the course sign as well as a lake of some sort. Some guy was fishing there this morning. One of the first times I thought fishing might be more interesting than playing golf.

The baskets are nice Mach II.

The distances listed on my on-line map listed on two holes under 300', four in the 300s, one 416' and two stretching over 500'. Most are open with a tree or two to miss.

Cons: My feet were soaked before I reached the # 1 tee pad.

Tee pads are tiny.

They aren't facing the hole.

No signs except for # 5.

You're not playing on grass here. You're walking through a mowed field. You're trudging more than walking.

Parking is minimal.
Other Thoughts: After the course's head honcho thumbs down my review, please do me and other disc golfers a favorite. Take a half an hour and neatly write the hole number on inner pole of each basket with a Sharpie. You will get double bonus points if you would get some bright colored tape and tape it around the bottom basket rung that points towards the next tee pad. The course and it's overall design will still be dismal but at least, when a golfer shows up to play here, they won't be as frustrated with the navigation as I was.

Course/Park has been fully redesigned

1    7/12/2017   7/14/2017
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: 9 Mach V baskets
Tee pads for each hole, abet short ones
Cons: No tee signs
no basket numbers
only hole 5 tee box has a 5 written on it
Grass was mowed with a bushog recently, it is rough to say the least.
Other Thoughts: Parking is an issue here. It is suppose to be a private park for people who live in the area. I parked at the tennis/pool parking lot and walked over to what my map said was hole 1.

Well, after attempting to follow the map I had, I realized the course had been redesigned and my map was useless.

They have added some walking paths, a dog park and a pavilion with a playground in the park.

I have no idea of the flow of the course, I just played holes as I found them.

Looks like they mowed recently, but the grass was super thick before they mowed so there were lots of loose grass everywhere and an uneven mowing job.

They holes were mostly open and had some distance on several of the.

Would I play here again?

Well, if they put in tee signs (even tee posts) and mowed regularly, I might attempt to play this course again. But as it is right now, I would not go back.

MEH

1    4/15/2014   4/16/2014
Review By: Maddpiercer
Pros: Open layout is good for beginners.
It has baskets.
Cons: The grass is super tall.
teepads are very short.
Slim pickings on the parking.
Not very well marked.
Other Thoughts: If you play here its more than likely that you wont be back. I played here just so I could kill some time as well as being able to mark it as played.

Practice Course

2-4    9/20/2013   9/28/2013
Review By: GreenDisc101
Pros: Wide open for most part, good course to go throw a new disc or to just get the hang of ones currently have and throw
Cons: -Lot of ants
-Grass isnt kept well and will make your lower leg/ankles itchy
-Baskets are in bad shape due to vandalism
-Navigation of a few holes is confusing first time play
Other Thoughts: Like i said it is nice that its an open course to practice on. But its not anything youll want to go back to over and over again.

2-4    7/18/2012   10/13/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: The course is very easy to find as it is off the main road leading into the neighborhood Wortham off the very busy FM 1960 road.The course is situated in a big vast field with plenty of room to open up big shots if you wanted to get the practice in.

The course is easy to navigate even without tee signs. The next tee usually is not far from the previous hole. No hazards or chances of a lost disc are present so this would be a great place to bring beginners for their first time.

The course itself is usually very quiet, I rarely see others playing it.
Cons: This course is simply boring. Every shot off the tee is in a wide open field which is very boring. The concrete tee pads are a tad small so any type of run up is take away. It almost seems like they are hardly worth the effort of putting them in. One pad in particular is facing 45 degrees away from the basket.

The grass is rarely mowed and in disc golf long grass usually turns into an abyss where discs go missing and there is no chance of finding them without very hard looking.
Other Thoughts: Not being a resident of Wortham seems like a non-issue. I have parked on the street next to the course with all of the other cars and have had no problems with my car being there illegally.

This is the second closest course to my house which is why I play it when I am not in the mood to content with trees and water like other courses have to offer. If I did not live 10 minutes away this would be a course I would play once, mark it as played and forget about it. There is nothing special here, plant a few trees, play over the lake and maybe we can look at a better rating for an overall mediocre course.

Good for a Quick Round!

1    11/30/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: Goliath
Pros: Permanent tee and baskets. Nice and open. Good to practice your form and keep in shape. If you only have an hour drop in and play because it plays rather fast about an hour. Tees generally have an arrow point towards the basket.
Cons: Small concrete tees. No room for run up on tee off. Grass is just high enough to make locating a disc slightly challenging. Hole #6 is there just to get you to hole #7.
Other Thoughts: On hole #5. Tee box points almost 45 degrees away from the basket. When playing we found a yellow stake at the 2nd big tree directly in front of the tee (about 150' out). Our thoughts is that the design was meant to play around those trees as a mandatory. That's the way we have been playing it. Park across the bridge at the pool/tennis courts.
Have fun!

Wind Galore

5+    4/9/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: MrNiceFella
Pros: Tee pads are concrete. Hard to lose any discs. Great place to bring beginners.
Cons: Very open and flat, not much challenge other than head winds on most holes, grass needs to be mowed more often, tee pads are small and restrictive.
Other Thoughts: If the location is convenient it's a great place to practice but don't go out of your way to play here.

Some baskets to throw at

5+    6/8/2010   6/8/2010
Review By: indignation
Pros: It's only 8 minutes from my house. That's about the the best aspect of this course for me. It's also decent if you're just looking to work on drives in an open field type of setup with some baskets to throw at.

I rarely see anyone else on the course when I'm playing.
Cons: The tee boxes are ridiculous. Sure, they're concrete, but they're too small for any kind of run up. I usually set my bag on the concrete and just throw from the grass to the side of the box.

The grass is mowed fairly regularly, but it can get very high which makes it hard to find discs and can cut up your legs if you're wearing shorts.

There's nothing technical about the course, and it can get boring.
Other Thoughts: Don't go out of your way to play this, but if you live close, it's an ok place to practice.

Nothing special

2-4    5/6/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: ERicJ
Pros:
Bright new double chain DISCatcher baskets. Yellow "chastity belts" make spotting the baskets nice and easy. Mostly long, open, windy holes allow you to practice driving and putting with the wind. There are hole numbers and arrows pointed to the baskets painted on the concrete tee boxes. Baskets are numbered, which helps navigation. Practice basket by tee #1. The first few holes have some trees with which to contend but nothing significant.
Cons:
The biggest con is that this course is just boring. The openness of the course doesn't force any creative shot making. The concrete tee boxes are too small and a couple are pointed in the wrong direction with respect to the basket. No tee signs or distances posted. The grass has been very tall both times I've played which can lead to a lot of time looking for discs. The tall grass can also make it hard to find the next tee box for first timers (I've created a general map (uploaded to DGCR) to help navigation). The popular walking trail is in play on a couple holes for slightly errant shots. There's no convenient vehicle parking.
You can stand just about anywhere on the course and see all ten baskets which tells you how open the course is, but is also somewhat surprising considering how long the nine holes play. This is not a destination course, nor one that I'm motivated to return to for casual rounds; if I lived extremely close that might change. This course could improve with Alt tees from a course designer who knew what they were doing. When I played parking at the pool was full so I parked at the end of the Wolsley Ct. cul-de-sac which is a short walk to tee #4.

Best public on 290, kind of like Best Sushi in Missouri.

1    9/18/2009   9/20/2009
Review By: ratboy
Pros: It is close to my house and on the way home from work. If you are looking to work on your long drives, there is something to be said for this course. You can see most of the pins from the tee box, so that is good for a beginner.
Cons: I am a rank amateur, and have only played 6 courses (this is my first review) but it ranks 6/6. It is long for a mediocre course, the grass is high, and there are few trees or other variations to make it interesting.
Other Thoughts: I am just getting started, but this spot has good basics without good planning. Nice pins, nice tee boxes, but the set up is very average. I don't plan on spending much time here unless they MOW. Grass is very high.