La Mirada, CA
La Mirada Regional Park - Back 18 Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #7 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Backside La Mirada!

1    11/29/2017   11/30/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: I've played the front 18 at La Mirada quite a few times, but I've always been told that you HAVE to try the bask-side too. That's why when I had a few hours to kill one morning, I decided to play all 36 and finally get a round in on the back 18. I started by playing the familiar front side to get warmed up, and I'm glad I did!

The back at La Mirada is a longer, more technical course than the front. The front has more hills, and more baskets sitting on hills, but the back does a good job of making you feel like you're not on a typical socal course. First off, it's quiet. Unlike the front where you have joggers, homeless, people fishing, and other randoms... the back was almost entirely disc golfers. It made the round feel more private, and that's a rare thing around here.

My favorite stretch was holes 1-4. This felt like world class disc golf. The hills, the manicured grass, the lines... it was awesome. Holes 5-9 wind through a wooded section (not east coast wooded, but more open), and holes 10-18 wind back around some baseball fields toward the pro shop.

You'll throw just about every shot in your bag out here. Big hyzers, placement straight shots, annys, and I even threw a couple of thumbers over blind hills. It was fun!

Each hole had a concrete teepad (or shared a sidewalk), mandos were clearly marked, and all the baskets were in decent shape or better.

Add in he fact that La Mirada has a pro shop, bathrooms, and another 18 holes on site... and you're gonna have a good time out here.

Summary:

- Concrete pads
- Nice baskets
- Pro shop
- Practice area
- Two 18 hole courses on site
- Variety of shots and lines
- Variety of distances
- Elevation!
- Well maintained park
- Fun factor!
Cons: My first gripe about the back 9 is the layout. It took me a while to find hole 1 (even with the map), and once I got going I found the actual layout differed from the map I had in my hand. This probably isn't an issue for locals who know their way around, but for a newbie out-of-towner like me... I was lost. Some of the baskets are close together so I had to figure out what target went with what hole, and this required me to walk ahead a few times to scout.

Hole 10 seemed out of place between the parking lot and the road. Another one (maybe 14 or 15?) was right up against the parking lot as well. One bad throw and you can smash a car pretty easily.

Finally the walk from 1 and 18 to the car is looooong. Had I known this before I started I probably would have parked closer, but it's a hike.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this facility is a must visit for any disc golfer in the area. Both the front 18 and the back 18 are incredible courses. Against popular opinion, my favorite was probably the front. It just fits my game better I think. Even so, the back is a monster. Park in the lot next to the tennis courts if you want to visit the pro shop, or maybe park in the north lot near the baseball fields if you strictly want to play the back. Have fun!

Great course, a moment of nature in LA

2-4    3/27/2017   4/7/2017
Review By: geodude
Pros: Almost nobody but disc golfers, a few walkers etc. Trees, hills, small valley that has a wow I am not in LA feel, clean park, grassy City park for rollers, clean park, variety of backhand and flick, one 'roller hole' ( hole 6, nice tees, free. Challenging yet doable for an older player like me.
Cons: No water fountains on course, bathrooms only at tee 4 and they were closed and kind of run down.
Other Thoughts: Loved it, played it 3 days on a row while staying in Garden Grove.on business. Locals told me I had to play this instead of the front course so I did. Will be back for sure. A hawk nailed a pigeon in mid-air at hole 4 right over head, Closest thing to an Ace I will ever see on that hole.

best for weekends to go backside

5+    3/22/2015   3/22/2015
Review By: bigdonuno
Pros: playing here on weekends is the way to go.
much less people in the way of shots
layout is great, all the tee pads are long, only a couple of them are on a sidewalk.
baskets are in great condition
multiple pin locations on every hole.

a lot of variety of shots, with many long range
not all hyzer bombs, so it challenges your accuracy
course and park is perfectly manicured
course moves well, most of the holes are close to the last basket
every hole has a sign and is marked for current location with tape
pro shop with plastic, snacks, drinks and maps
Cons: no bathroom in the back that is open
numbers on baskets are off by a number or 2
Other Thoughts: this course is historic! by far this is the best place to play in the area, 20 minutes on the freeway to LA or OC.

A full day of disc golf awaits

1    7/1/2000   7/14/2014
Review By: nwdiscgolfer
Pros: 2 full 18 hole courses onsite. Beautiful rolling green fairways, concrete tee pads, excellent local golf scene. Variety of shots and distance requirements multiple basket positions on every hole. Relatively dedicated disc golf with few park goers on the back 18
Cons: Some of the holes on this side are to close to street and just ask for trouble. Definitely an advanced players side do to those few holes.
Other Thoughts: Take a lunch break and come back for the front 18, what more can you ask for.

Awesome!!

2-4    6/8/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: Azpostal
Pros: Great layout. Good elevation changes. Nice grass and trees.Playing around the lake/pond was very cool.
Cons: First time had trouble finding a teepad, towards the end. Maybe 17 or 18.
Other Thoughts: I wish I lived closer! No course is even in the same league here in Phx area.

Catch you on the Backside

5+    4/12/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
Pros: The front 9 on the backside of LaMa is some of my favorite SoCal golf. There are plenty of elevation changes, trees to challenge your lines, and distance to challenge your arm. It flows smoothly and is very well maintained. In general I think the majority of the Backside at LaMa is a more picturesque than most courses.

I like that the backside is more secluded than the front. There's never really a crowd so often I can throw my entire bag on quite a few baskets.

The proshop is great and has a good disc selection (when they get new shipments in). There are facilities readily available.
Cons: They changed the layout by removing the original holes 1 and 2 and splitting a couple of the longer holes in half. I think 5 and 15 might be the ones they cut in half.

I understand why this had to be done for safety reasons (children's playground near basket 2), so it's not that much of a con.

If you're someone who can throw a par or +1 or +2 you'll be alright, but if you're somewhat new or don't quite have control of your shots then a few holes are going to present very challenging approaches. You may end up throwing into a crowded parking or a street. These are holes even a seasoned golfer knows can be trouble.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new 15 which plays just beyond the softball field fence because there's a lot of ball players and cars. The hole itself is easy, but it's a very busy area.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the visit. If you have a full day, or can jam through in a half day, playing all 36 at LaMa is well worth it.

1    1/11/2014   1/31/2014
Review By: Schanen11
Pros: -Elevation changes add another dimension on many holes
-Wide variety of holes require different types of shots
-Trees add some challenge, especially on holes 7-9.
-Using drains in the fairways as OB markers adds another layer of challenge, especially playing #4 as an "island hole" with the whole right side of the drain down the fairway as OB.
-Usually not as busy as the front course
Cons: -FLOODING. Not as apparent on the back 18 as it is on the front, but under the trees between #3 and #4 fairways often has an inch of standing water.
-Holes 11-14 are a little boring.
-Hole 5 and the hole that wraps around the ball field have been shortened to accomodate the loss of the original #1 and #2. Those holes were the only LONG holes on the course and were fun to play.
-Navigation can be tricky. Bring a map.
-Bathroom between holes 3 and 4 is NEVER open.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing this course when the front is jammed up. It's (back 18) not a top notch course but the 2 courses here are definitely among the best in the LA area.

1    11/30/2013   11/30/2013
Review By: saintsfan200
Pros: - Good Use of Elevation
- Trees in play on many holes
- #9 and #16 were my favorites
- Longer holes
- Signs and pads are ok, most holes are easy to find
Cons: - #1 and #2 no longer exist
- While there is good use of the land west of the parking lot/baseball fields, holes #11-15 are fairly weak (Long, open, relatively flat)
Other Thoughts: I'd recommend parking in the lot by the baseball fields off Foster Rd. and starting on #16, then 17, 18, on to 3-10. And skipping 11-15.

Excellent course!!

5+    9/17/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: tommyUnitas
This review was updated on 9/24/2013
Pros: Excellent hole variations!! Variety of shots needed. Makes for some challenging rounds. Some elevation changes, lots of shade and grass. Cool locals. Drinking water and restrooms available, as well as a pro-shop. Some nice tunnel/hallway type shots. I enjoy bird-watching, and see a lot out there (swallows, woodpeckers, black phoebes, doves, orioles, forktailed flycatchers, robins and who knows what else). All baskets and tee pads are in good shape. Hole markers with nice hole diagram at each tee box. Easy layout to follow.
Cons: No longer any par 4's. A few holes play near a parking lot, so errant shots could hit cars. I've stepped in a few squirrel holes and almost turned my ankle, good thing I wear high top hiking shoes.
Other Thoughts: I play here all the time, and I love it. They've recently moved a few tee boxes away from sidewalks, evidently for the safety of pedestrians. Holes 1 and 2 no longer exist. We now start on what used to be hole #3. 1 and 2 have been replaced by splitting the old par four 7th into two par 3's and same with the old par four 15th. The back 18 is much less crowded than the lakeside 18. There's long holes and a few short holes, maybe an ace waiting to happen? I rarely start on hole 1, usually warming up on the back 9 with my start and finish being there. This course is always worth playing!!!

1    6/5/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +holes 2,4,5,6,7,11,15
+several long holes
+several blind shots
+good variety of open shots, tunnel shots, shots around trees
+good use of OB
+pro shop
Cons: -some danger with shots near street
-par info on signs is wrong
-non-discgolfers all around
Other Thoughts: if I had to choose one to play, I'd pick back 18 just because of the increase in distance and difficulty.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5