St. Augusta, MN
Hidden Lake DGC Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #18 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #18 Long Tee

Someday (soon), perhaps the best course in MN

5+    3/21/2012   3/22/2012
Review By: djschnabel
Pros: From the beginning...
Great map and sign at the beginning. Scorecards (Ball Golf-like).
Practice basket
Dual Tee pads on every hole.
Great Signage at each Tee Pad.
Directions towards the next hole.
Easy Flow, no back-tracking (except for hole 9).
Legit Par 4's (and 5's?)
Elevation.
Trees.
Prairie.
Water.
Tight Fairways.
Open bomber holes.

This course reminds me of what I thought about Blue Ribbon Pines, in it's infancy. I've played it about 2 times a year for the past few years. Pars are possible on each hole, but a four is often appreciated. The roughs are just that = rough. This has to be the most challenging course I've played, as there are only maybe 2-3 'easy' holes, and when you hit them you are ecstatic even then with a birdie. Signature hole #15 has you throwing 400+ feet across the lake, anhyzer or hyzer, it's available on this hole.
Cons: Thorns. Buggy at times. Thick, thick, rough.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. As said, this is similar to BRP when it just opened up. I think this course has a few more years before the rough here is as forgiving as it's become at BRP, but with that being said, it forces you to play smartly. You will play for a 4 at times, even with three smartly placed shots. That's okay. This course is rarely visited in the St. Cloud area, and it will force you to use and make every shot in your bag. My only real gripe is that on some holes (6,11, 13) it forces you to land in a small area which will take much more luck than skill. As the course improves, I think these holes will be more easily played, but I enjoy the fact that they are as difficult as they are. I've seen the caretaker (I don't know what else to call him) spreading chips and grooming the course. There is a lot of care into this course now, and it will only get better with age. If you are an out-of-stater, this has to be number one on your must play courses in St. Cloud. Others will allow you to feel good about yourself (lower scores), but this will challenge your manhood.

St. Cloud's Finest (easily)

1    3/18/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: J Blaze
Pros: I've played quite a bit of disc golf at the High Bridge Disc Golf Mecca in Sconny and let me tell ya: this course would fit in there perfectly. It's like a cross between the Granite Ridge course and the Woodland Greens course at HB. Every single hole is a complete challenge and utterly beautiful, to be honest.

It is very challenging, mixing precision and power at it's finest. The rough is so thick and dangerous....you need to have every wit with you on every shot. Is that a pro? Could be a con if you are a rec player, looking to have a fun

We did not see one other discer or group of people whilst playing. A huge plus.

It was easy to find every hole, even easier after snapping a photo of the map on the front sign on my phone.

This course is now the course I think of when I think of the ultimate challenge in Minnesota.
Cons: Need better fairways, wider.

Cement tees maybe? one there a pretty nice, though

Other Thoughts: I rank the St Cloud area course like this now:
Hidden Valley =4.5
Millstream= 4
Riverside=3.5
Calvary=3.5

all others about AVG

Not For The Weak Of Heart!

1    7/24/2011   8/24/2011
Pros: Warning! This course is not suitable for:

Youth or
Causal Weekend Players or
Course Baggers or
Girlfriends/Wives or
The Feeble/Infirmed or
Players Who Aren's Seeking the Ultimate Challenge.

Seeing how I resemble most of the these, I have determined that this course was definitely not designed with me in mind.

Now that we gotten that over with.

The PROs. The course ranks right up there with Blue Ribbon Pines and Kaposia in both it's difficulty and challenge. If you are a strong intermediate player or better, you need to get out here and throw yourself against this course and it's length, it's tight fairways, it's sometimes narrow little windows and it's treacherous rough and blind baskets. The over the water shots, such as # 17, require the guts of a burglar to hit a miniscule (20' X 20') window at about 250'. Any slight miss splashs down in the swampy waters, forever to be swimming with the gators and whatever the hell else is lurking below the brakish waters here.

The course starts out with an great course map and a mailbox with professional "St. Augusta" scorecards. The baskets are DGA with the red numbers. The Natural-gravel teepads are not the best feature here.
Cons: Gravel/natural teepads need to be improved with either patio blocks or concrete for this course to take the next step. So many blind basket especially early in the round. Misquitos-Ticks-Bugs! Brackish-Ugly-Swampy water is challenging but not enjoyable or beautiful by any means. The course is basically flat.
Other Thoughts: This course is an easy 5 in terms of it's challenge. It's one of the maybe 10-20 hardest I've played (out of 375) in terms of it's challenge/difficult nature. But most of that difficulty was due to it's extremely long tight fairways with imprenetrable roughs, blind basket placements and technical throws over swampy waters. The course was most definitely way, way over my skill level. I concede that. What I find here, is a course that is going to appeal to a very limited percentage of the disc playing population. That being those younger gung ho, intermediate or better players, looking to really challenge their manhood. And advanced to pro players will find it to be one of the few courses around to really put their their skills to the test. Good luck and enjoy yourselves men. I can't say that I really enjoyed my experience here.

CHALLENGING but fair

5+    7/28/2011   7/30/2011
Review By: Double Helix
Pros: Bring every shot in your arsenal. Technical and long, this course will intimidate and dominate. A rare combo of length and precision, this course will test the best. Nice baskets and a great layout, Hidden Lake will make you pull out your A-game if you want to keep it anywhere near par (54). Good upkeep from the park staff and local players. Not a lot of play so it's almost private style.
Cons: No concete tee pads (which I would expect fron a course of this high caliber). Bugs in the summer. Brutal rough - stay in the fairway. Floods in heavy rains. Not for novice or beginners at all.
Other Thoughts: The most challenging course in the state and maybe top 5 challenging in the region (if not the country) in my opinion. Focus and technique are key. I'd play in the semi-early spring or after the frost in the fall to avoid the bugs. Definately worth the trip for more seasoned players. You will be improved and impressed after a round here.

St. Augusta National!

1    5/16/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: joe po
Pros: Most of it has already been said, but the effort that was put into desinging/building this course was excellent.

Great Challenge- this course is super intimidating from the tips. Still a great test of skill from the short tees. Lots of tight shots, but I didn't have such a tough time with the woods. Thought there was plenty of room to work with in the woods. If you nik a tree and kick into the woods, you definitely will pay in blood. I also managed to get tangled up in barbwire on #3. However, this course is so amazing I didn't even care!

Signage - professionally done! Great course map by pakring lot. Scorecard is well done, too! Best scorecard I've seen at a free course.

Tucked Away - I love out of the way courses in the country. Keeps the traffic down, and gives you a sense of being away from it all. Hidden is quite the reality. Once we got deep into the course, we found ourselves wondering were we were, definitely had a sense of being lost... the good kind of lost.
Beaufiful area - go see it.

Practice HOLE - not just a practice basket, a practice hole with tee pad. Found right by the parking lot, pad is by the fire hall.

Friendly staff - two guys were out mowing and hauling out cut wood. The older gentleman mowing came up to us on the practice hole and offered some advice. He chuckled alot when discussing the difficulty of the course. The younger guy hauling out wood helped us navaigate 9 to 10. One of my drives nearly took his head of when appeared around a bend, but he just laughed it off.
Cons: ....the map on the scorecard could be more detailed.... maybe some more trash cans, and a outhouse on course...

not alot to complain about.
Other Thoughts: Championship caliber course! This track blows everything else in Cloud out of the water. I've played just about every "great" course in the state and this is definitely a top five track. I just hope it gets the respect it deserves, keep it clean, keep it nice!

Great St. Cloud Area Course

5+    2/4/2011   2/4/2011
Review By: kogr0601
Pros: This course has a large variety holes with multiple tee boxes. Hole #15 is the best, its a long shot over the lake with a medium sized gap to hit on the other side to get a shot at the pin. If you don't hit the gap you'll probably get a 3,4, or 5 but if you do you can get a 2 or 3 depending on where you end up. Ending up in the lake isn't that bad either as long as you get somewhat close to the shore on the other side. I've had to walk in there a few times and have been able to get my disc back. Since the pictures of that hole have been posted the gap has cleared out a little making it more manageable but its still difficult to hit.
Cons: I'm not really a big fan of going off in the woods through thorns to get discs, I played this course a lot fall 2010 and my arms got covered with scratches from all the disc I through in the brush. In my opinion there needs to be more clearing of the low brush, maybe like a happy medium between the way it is now and Riverside. The brush really isn't that big of deal though just an annoyance. St. Augusta parks dept will probably keep clearing it. Foot traffic helps too.
Other Thoughts: Don't wear sandals! There are red ants all over the place here and they bite. They get pretty bad in some places in the middle of the summer and if you take your time you'll get attacked. wearing shoes solves this pretty easily.

Expert Course

5+    5/24/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: Mopbrothers
Pros: I love the variety of holes on this course. The scenery is beautiful and the walk from hole to hole is fun (unlike Riverside). This is also a cool place to disc hunt if you're a total nut about having more discs.
Cons: This is a very difficult course for any player. There are tons of trees and thorny bushes everywhere. There is one hole where you have to throw over a lake. There's also a lot of bugs.
Other Thoughts: If you like the majority of wooded disc courses and difficulty doesnt scare you, go ahead and check this out. If you've never played disc golf before, go to Calvary or somewhere easier.

A grueling deathmarch of the best kind!

5+    4/15/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: When I'm looking for a challenge from a "local" course, this is where I go. Usually I ended up swearing at least once per hole, I usually ended up bleeding from more than one spot. A brand new course shows its youth, in years to come it can only improve - they have a great thing going here.

-Variety of holes. Each hole is a new challenge. Wooded technical holes, long doglegs (a good variety of left and right) 2 is a difficult dogleg left 4 and 5 are long dogleg left shot; narrow "thread the needle" wooded fairways, 11 and 13 are incredible tight fairways; wide open long bombs, 7 is a beautiful 711 foot downhill bomb, with the wind i could rip it about 450, 9 is a long 670 foot uphill run; Water beatifully comes into play on a few holes, 12 and 13 cross a swamp (doesn't really come into play, unless it's a bad toss), my heart always skips a beat when I walk up to the tee of 15, I have to convince myself that I can do it it's an amazing throw across the lake, 16 plays across a swamp, and then 17 I'm sure is a wonderful hole during normal water levels, but when I was there it was nearly impossible to play, completely surrounded by water except on the right side it was blocked by an impenetrable thicket.

-Map/Scorecards. Beautiful map at the beginning with a mailbox full of score cards (the best looking scorecards I've ever seen, all they need to do is put some sponsors on it to make some $ for the course!)

-Practice Basket

-Map and Scorecard at the start, nothing like being provided with a wonderful scorecard with a map on the back to help with navigation along the way

-Relatively Quiet Compared to the other courses in the area, Hidden lake is usually much less crowded and visited by more serious players as it is so difficult, not many shankers find their way here.

-Navigation Signs, Though some signs were only cardboard stapled to a tree, the signs were quite helpful in directions to the next tee, even between 11 and 12 (put on your walking shoes) as soon as I felt like I had been walking too far, I would notice a sign that said I was still on the right track (after what seems like a mile, I finally made it to the 12th tee box).

-Challenging. This is a draw for many that want to get away from the St. Cloud courses, and this also keeps out the riff-raff of the local college students.
Cons: -Tee Boxes, the gravel tee boxes were more like sand boxes when I played, mostly the were playable, but on a few holes I found an alternate place to tee off from, I need to protect my knees. Hopefully something is done about this soon, this is my biggest gripe about this course.

-Brand new, Built in 2009 this course shows its youth, with many stumps yet to be cleared, some rough cut fairways, and temporary (hopefully) navigation signs will all improve with age.

-Not for Beginners, this would not be a fun place to learn the game.

-Multiuse park, I only put this in the con section because I had to wait for others enjoying the area a couple times (personally I think it's great that disc golfers and other reacreationists can survive in unison in such a beautiful park).

-Water, not really a con in my mind, I think it's a beautiful use of the water, but, it is only a matter of time before I lose a disc on this course if I continue to play.
Other Thoughts: Of all the courses in the area, I would recommend this one to anyone that loves the game of disc golf (not beginners). It is a beautiful, fun, challenge with a great variety of holes and by the time I reach the end I always feel accomplished, like I survived the gauntlet. This one is worth going out of the way for.

Favorite hole:
Number 15, This hole is in the back of my mind the entire round, I'm looking forward to it, I'm dreading it. As I approach the tee my heart begins to thump, it's a challenge not to let my mind get the best of me as I let it rip. It's a beautiful shot, I can only imagine that there's hundreds of discs at the bottom of that lake.

Fairly new to disc golf

2-4    9/28/2009   3/11/2010
Review By: fixed1313
Pros: This course is probably the best course in the St. Cloud area. I have only a couple of years into disc golf and have only played courses in the St. Cloud area but this one is by far the most dificult course I have played. At the same time it is also the most entertaining due to the changes in elevation and scenery. I look like the noob that I am when I play here but it forces me to improve my game.
Cons: You will be looking for discs if you are not spot on with your throws. Bugs are bad later in the summer. Water crossings if you are a noob.
Other Thoughts: This course was only opened in 2009, it will get better with use. I feel this course has the potential to be a championship course in the future. It has the makings of a great course so please bare with the growing pains. If you have suggestions please contact the city, the web site can be found online. I do work for the city but not on the park side of things. I have been trying to get this for a few years and I am glad to see it come to life.

Very good course

1    11/14/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: stevep
Pros: The course is well laid out with good elevation changes and good use of the ponds. It is a difficult course that you need to be precise on your shots. Very nice piece of land. The course is set up well.
Cons: Several of the holes have no real fairway. There should be a way to get to the basket, even if it's tight, that's fine. This is the only reason I didn't give it a higher rating. Could easily be fixed.
Other Thoughts: I didn't go into a detailed review because the other review is very detailed and covers almost everything. I think this could be one of the best courses around if they cleaned out some of the smaller trees that are in the fairways. They need to have a way to get to the basket. If a few of the holes were fixed, it would be a championship quality course.