Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: dalenoel Hole #6 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #6 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Nice course, I guess

1    10/19/2017   10/19/2017
Review By: Christopherj
Pros: 27 holes
Many unique shots
Nice wooded area
Cons: Baskets not that great
Needs better signage between holes
Other Thoughts: Thus wad a nice course. I thought though considering the 16 dollars in fees my wife and I paid to get into the park and play that the course would have been better. The baskets were old, and signs between holes would be nice. Its a good course, but I've played plenty that were better for less money.

Typical Michigan Disc Golf

2-4    8/5/2017   9/26/2017
Review By: mr_ruxbin
Pros: Clean, well marked, nicely kept course. Long tees for the pros, shorter tees for the novices.
Cons: None, really. I like this course a lot. It can be somewhat easy to lose sight of your disc on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Wish the Metropark didn't gouge you for $10 to enter, otherwise I'd play here more often.

Get the annual MetroPark pass for this

2-4    4/29/2017   5/1/2017
Review By: MisterJ
Pros: Aesthetic - The course isn't overly beautiful compared to some around the country, overlooking lakes or rock croppings. But with all the other things this Metropark has to offer (since you paid to get in anyway), it is difficult not to say it is aesthetically pleasing with wildlife.

Challenge - RHBH will definitely find this much more difficult than RHFH or LFBH. But the first 1 to 16 holes are tricky but not so challenging, with a couple of the pro tees more challenging. Those first 16, I would say, it is difficult to birdie them all, but not that hard to par or better with either a good drive or good approach. Holes 17 to 27 are why I say this is a challenging course. Overall the whole course has some elevation change, and the majority of the challenge is with how tightly the baskets are tucked right, which is behind deep woods. I was debating with whether Challenge for Black Locust was pro or con, as many people I know play 1-18 and don't see the more difficult 19-27, but I think it's a pro.

TeePads/Baskets - Like them a lot, no issues for me. 4 concrete slabs deep on most.

Signage - Talk about signs, most courses that have dual pads have 1 marker just at the closer tee. But here, you'll find signs at both tees telling distance and map. It's nice.

Fun - If my wife, and kids can make it thru the whole thing, it's gotta be fun. Usually they are good for 8 to 12 holes, but instead of them walking while I play, they played on thru. Lots of chances for aces when you find your line, and you get a bit lucky there isn't a stray twig hanging down to alter the shot a couple hundred feet down the run. You're always racing to the next basket to see if you just may get another birdie or get even luckier. Now I won't even go into the other things around the course to do while in the MetroPark, but that adds to fun too.

Locatability - Who can't find a metro park? That's easy, step 2 is getting your hands on the map of the park and getting to this course. Everyone in the area knows about this place, and can tell you how to get here, but it's pretty easy, and maps help, park rangers, I would not be scared to get lost and not find. You may drive a long way, but you'll get there.
Cons: Variety - Not a huge variety for such a large and well planned course. But there are some limitations. There is a big downhill (1 of them), a couple holes that start higher and throw downish, but most are flat and partially to fully wooded. Most of the time you'll step up and say oh, another sidearm throw and the basket is behind the rough tucked up in-between trees.

Congestion - Because this is a well-known, and very good course, it gets busy. Even with all the fees. Worse yet, some courses you can skip a couple holes to reduce wait times, and so you would look to another hole to start, not so much here with the size and woods. And the groups can get big, and there can be a lot of people too. But remember, we're all DG'ers, so they're great people, so sometimes congestion is good stuff too. Meet someone new, or learn something you didn't know, watch somebody throw.

Maintained/Bugs - I haven't see them spraying for bugs, and never was invited to the controlled burns like other parks. I also didn't see the DNR guy out with a weed-eater trying to keep some of the grass-rough to less than a half a foot, or stray branches that grew in the throw lanes, or removing those picker vines. But this adds to the charm of being at a MetroPark DiscGolf course. Having said that, the course is clean, lots of benches and garbage cans, love the pickle design on one of the course signs, and if I see garbage here, I'll pick it up.
Other Thoughts: Whats holding it back from higher rating - I would go a little higher on this course if a few holes changed it up a bit. There's one hole, 17 I believe, where the basket is in a stump, love it. But do more, like add large rocks / patterns of them as obstacles of sorts. Add some major uphill action, there are hills, take advantage, just switch it up. I wouldn't dare say boring at all about this course, but nudge it up from a 4.0 to a 4.5 with more variety.

Kid Friendly - It's a metropark and there is a ton to do here besides DG. But for the disc golfing, kids will like it, mine did. With as rough as the rough is and mosquito's, you may want to choose the timing, and kids could get discouraged, but I would put this on the list for kids.

Older/Less Active Player Friendly - It's a pretty long course, with some hills. But it's more the rough and length of course I would worry about for these folks. If they tire or need to leave, it's not an easy out. This may not be ideal for them.

Rookie Friendly - Yes, Rookie's should like this place. Working on that sidearm is always good, but have a spotter for that disc. But I'm betting there will be more than a few shots that will really get a rookie feeling good.

Average Player Friendly - I think your average player will absolutely love this place. As mentioned, those first say 16 holes, there are lots of chances with a good drive you could be thinking aces, or cherish some nice putts. Either way, I think you'll be jones' for more and wanting to do this course again because there was that one tree, or that one stinking branch, if it wasn't there, man...

Pro Player Friendly - Out by yourself, I am not so sure, it may be a bit too easy for long stretches. But with a group, to cheer and you to cheer them and walk and talk and be at this great setting, nice. Some technical shots, or a little luck because of how this tree has grown up and branched or a few of them have. Depends on the pro, if you're in the area grab a friend of a local, it will be fun.

Last Point - I don't work for these guys but if you're needing gear or food, Holden's Party Store is really close to this, and they have a wide variety of discs, plus the food they make is good too, we always stop by, it's on the way for me. Also, and just found this a couple months ago, just 10-15 minutes away there is a Play It Again Sports in Novi/Northville. They were finally open when I went that way, and I was shocked, large assortment of discs, but also used stuff at a good deal. I'd say stop by and check these out if you're tired of Dunham's, Dick's, or actually want to put your hands on a disc in a store (I do 95% of my shopping for discs online too)

my favorite metropark course

1    6/4/2016   4/30/2017
Review By: TeebirdDan
Pros: lots of Elevation starting on hole 1 ,epic downhill that requires dead strait drive to land in the fairway. some holes are a little short and easy but there is still pleanty of cool challenging fairways 19 is another exceptional fairway throwing off a steep hill seems the last 9 of 27 is the hardest.
Cons: can get really crowded , green fee on top of metro park fee .
Other Thoughts: despite the fees i really love the metro park courses and the metro park concept this whole park is outstanding .

Beautiful, but unforgiving

1    6/19/2016   6/19/2016
Review By: dwindacatcher
Pros: Great extra large cement tee pads. Great looking holes. Well kept and plenty of trash bins.
Cons: The overwhelming majority of shots are left to right. And not just a little. As a right you either need a very flipped disc or a forehand. This applies to tee shots and many approach shots. Many pins are tucked to the right of the green.

VERY unforgiving ruff. It's thick and there is a lot of vines and small plants to hide discs.

Mosquitoes, but what wooded course doesn't have them?
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. Bad shots are made much worse with the pin placement and underbrush, but playing a tuff course will make you better. Forces you to think differently and try new shots.

Also, remember as a metro park your state pass won't get you free parking. If you don't have a metro park pass it will be 10$ to get in plus the $3 to play.

Also, the people that play here are very nice and return discs. The counter had a stack of discs people had brought back and the disc I lost today the person actually called me. To far of a drive for me to go back to get it, but in 16 years of playing it's the first time anyone has ever called me on a lost disc.

pretty nice course

1    4/14/2016   4/14/2016
Review By: TXDiscDude
Pros: Large sized course. an 18 hole and an extra 9.
Good mix of lefty and righty shots.
Easy to Navigate.
Extra large tee pads (my favorite)
Pro shots also have tee pads
double chained baskets.
Trash cans at almost every hole.
Cons: A ton of people backed up at hole 1. Parties were about 10 people per group. So its a slow course, but was still pretty fun playing with a big mix of ppl.
Cost $3 to play which isn't bad, but $10 to park is kinda steep.
Other Thoughts: It would be cool if there was another good hole to start at other than 1 and 19.

One of my favorites

2-4    5/7/2016   3/11/2016
Review By: Poncahotas
This review was updated on 5/30/2016
Pros: This course is a very popular one in the area; and for good reason. This is solely based on the first 18 holes, I have not had a chance to play 19-27 yet.
EDIT: I went back and played through the bonus holes. They live right up to how the rest of the course plays. Really well-done, it pushed the course over the top for me and now I call it my favorite.

- Relatively clean, usually don't see trash laying around
- 2 tees for every hole
- Well maintained grounds
- Nice variety of open space vs. wooded area, as well as technical vs. distance holes. Right off the bat you're greeted with a top-of-the-hill tee that dares you to heave it straight into the valley. A few more of these longshots are split up by shorter forested holes that require meticulously-planned gap shots. Or you can just rip it and hope that luck is on your side.
Cons: - Money. It costs a pretty penny to get into the park if you don't have a state metropark pass ($10 a trip), and then $3 per person to golf for the day.
- Since it is a popular disc golf course, it can be pretty crowded sometimes. However, everyone's really chill and will let you pass no problem if you're blasting through the holes behind them.
- This field can retain water, and some spots can get pretty muddy
- The foliage gets really dense in the summer time. I spent 20 minutes looking for a disk right at the 1st hole after an errant throw, so be careful
- A lot of the holes are just gradual right curves or straight lines with a right cut at the end. It feels like it lacks creativity at times. RHBH players better be on their anhyzer game if they're planning on throwing hard drives.
Other Thoughts: Honestly this is my favorite course I've played on so far. I've only been playing for a year or so, but this course just makes for a fantastic time.

What I have been missing.....

1    6/19/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: mball1684
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: - Very clean & well kept up
- Challenging for the RHBH player
- Lots of birdie opportunities (But you have to execute) your shots to get them.
- It's in a beautiful metropark
- Practice basket & restrooms!
Cons: - Mosquitoes can get bad at times (Deepwoods Off!)
- Can get kinda backed-up/Busy but that's the game!
- Quite a few blind tee shots and approaches, playing alone could be tough.
Other Thoughts: Fun & challenging holes for every style of player. This course is something that I have been putting off for a while...but never again! The holes do favor a sidearm or lefty maybe 60% of the time but I don't mark it down for that. It's just that much more challenging!

Solid fun course

1    6/2/2014   6/2/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Starting off beautiful park, has amazing views on the drive in and tons of other draws as well. If I could have spent the day in the park I would have.

Parking lot is large, but still pretty full. Pretty popular course it seems.

Two large port a johns near the entrance, good thing too since I pulled up Ina suit and needed to change(or be the best dressed golfer ever).

The man at the ticket booth was very knowledgeable and gave me a map and a good rundown of the course. Much appreciated from an out of towner.

The holes were quite varied with two placements for ever tee. I played mostly the longer tees except when there was a marked possibility of losing a disc( old had 3 discs in my travel bag). There were a lot of nice angles that were challenging and a lot of fun to pull out shots I don't use every day. Used some short thumbers,forehand rollers and even a jump putt. Overall quite varied and a lot of fun to play.

Locals were friendly and I got offered more beers and waters on the course than I have in any other two hour period.

One guy was grilling after his round and gave me an ear of grilled corn!

Just a great time overall.
Cons:
One of the few cons was almost every available surface was tagged, I almost wrote "stop writing on everything!" On a tee marker... But then realized that would be counterproductive.

There is a path of beer bottle caps on one hole which is cool looking, but little things like this keep it from having a pro quality aesthetic.

The only thing about the course itself was the fact that a ton of the holes end right lefties and flickers(like me) probably love this course but if you play RHBH your probably going to tire of throwing turnover shots.

Other Thoughts: A very fun course for a casual round, I had a great time playing the widely varying holes. All the different looks and nicely maintained parkland, they do a good job here.

I played in intermittent rain and it was still this good. I would recommend if your in the area trying it.

Home course

5+    10/18/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: jswoods1984
Pros: Very nice layout, good flow when it's not packed, met a lot of good people out there over the years. Gives the great opportunity to practice a variety of different shots.
Cons: Does get crowded a lot of the time. Lots of littering and again, lots of punk kids that are just there to party and don't respect the sport or the course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6