Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: dalenoel Hole #19 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #19 Short Tee

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
 tight fairways, rolling hills, long grass and sharp flora

2-4    10/11/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: compn
This review was updated on 2/25/2012
Pros: big course with elevation. love that elevation. my legs were a bit sore after 18. beautiful new long tees. baskets and chains were all in working condition.

friends both liked it.

holes 19-27 are long holes. lots of distance scares off the weenies.

UPDATE---
the quarry nextdoor must have screwed something up, now after it rains there is a GIANT WAIST-DEEP LAKE on the side of hole 2/3.
--END OF UPDATE
Cons: for a course in the middle of the woods, it sure doesnt have a lot trees on the fairway. lots of sun on the new holes.

most holes surrounded by tall grass, which wouldnt a problem if the holes also werent mostly blind shots.

those black locust trees have thorns, i've gotten stabbed by them in half of the rounds i've played. BEWARE OF THEM TREES.

made my mom pay $2 to walk the dog with us.
Other Thoughts: course would be a solid 4 if the pay-to-play wasnt such a pain in the ass.
----------
after playing this new course i got very nostalgic for the old one, so i went to play the old one.

i finished playing 6 holes of the old course on the lake side of the road, not interfering with any of the new course (old holes 1-3, 15-18). ranger rick told me to get lost, that 'people werent supposed to be over here'. no problem for me , as i was tired as hell.

i guess paying the park fee and the disc golf fee wasnt enough to be able to play/walk the old abandoned course. a true shame the way they are handling this whole affair.

Upgrade over the old?

2-4    7/28/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 5/17/2012
Pros: Brand new course so everything is marked and well layed out. This course offers both wide open "field" shots and some technical holes through the original woods. Not very busy, but we played the first five holes in a monsoon, which everyone has to try at least once. It was awesome!

***UPDATE***
Course has had a lot of time to break in and it is progressing nicely. Great signage throughout is still standing; good to see our fellow DGers respecting the land. Pay to play I'm sure comes into play here as well. This course has become as flooded with folks as Cass Benton!

Locust really challenges you to hit your lines. From the bomb off of tee #1 to the tunnel shot on #18, errancy will be punished. It is challenging without ruining your fun factor.

Now, the bonus 9 are hard as hell. Seriously, they should be par 4's. Some impossible lines to follow through these long and winding holes; also some thicket shots through Sherwood... BE PREPARED FOR THESE HOLES. They are almost worth a play just by themselves - these are on another level from the rest of the 18.
Cons: We only got to play 21 of the 27 holes because we lost the daylight, which was upsetting because the last few holes looked like a great challenge. I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get to travel back through the tunnel under the road and play the other side at all. I figured they would have kept a hole or two on the other side. The bugs weren't too bad when we played but that was most likely because of the storm, so bring some spray (we even used some).
Other Thoughts: I gave the original Kensington course a 3.5 because I couldn't rate it equal with Hudson Mills or Rolling Hills. Those courses are just better. I was very excited to play the new course, and I really love what they've done with the new land. These holes were the most fun to play. The "redesigned" holes form the OGC were OK, but they still had the same feel about them, which was disheartening. Moving a pin location over two feet from where it was does not make it a new hole. Overall this is a great course that is designed well to offer as much variety as the land will allow. Recommended.

***UPDATE***
Black Locust is really starting to warm on me. Each time through I like it better than the last, and I find myself wont to come back. Now on par with Rolling Hills/Hudson Mills in my book as one of the better courses in the Metro Area. DO IT TO IT!

Love it

2-4    7/26/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: discin248
Pros: New course so all new pads
Good maintenance I've seen them blowing off the pads both times i've played
Cons: Lack of garbage bins so there is some litter at a lot of the holes
Pay to play but i guess that covers maintenace
lot of lefty holes only a con for rightys
Other Thoughts: Nice long shots, good terrain, miss the old course but like the new one just as much, would have liked to see some water hazards though

O My God

1    7/27/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: discinboogs
Pros: Lots of long distance shots, tough pin positions, I like the new tee-signs. Tunnel course didn't have ANY. Front 18 I could enjoy all day.
Cons: Lefty course without a doubt. Not balanced what-so-ever. Lots of poison ivy. I'm not allergic but pretty much everyone else is. Could definitely use some trees removed so maybe I can get a line at the basket. Every shot that I was able to get around the corner was shut down soon after by a tree off the fairway because the lane was impossible righty and I ended up with quite a few bogeys after some hard work out of the schule. Back 9 is like impossible. It is a MUST to bring a friend otherwise discs are BYE BYE guaranteed. Front 18 is great except they moved the baskets of the good holes and didn't move the baskets to the shittiest holes that they kept.
Other Thoughts: It is all FH and the designer should re-think a few of the holes to keep the RHBH'ers coming back. As of now I will only come back if I have no choice in the matter, which is never. Love the long shots, hate the really rough rough everywhere and the need for a steel elbow to make it through all those FH shots.

New Kensington Course

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: rcd1649
Pros: Much more challenging than the old course. Nice tees, basket placement.
Cons: Sidearm almost every hole.
Other Thoughts: I agree ninety percent with the first reviewer only I would rate the course higher, very well done if unfairly biased towards sidearm shots. I am sure over time they will change some of the basket placements to even this out, once they do this course will rise to a 4.5 in my eyes.

southpaw

2-4    7/24/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: - Hilly, scenic landscape that changes often.
- Good large cement tees, new tee signs, scorecards available.
- 27 holes.
- Short and long tees on most.
Cons: - Pay to play now.
- Will scare off many 'casuals', both a pro and a con.
- You WILL lose a disc, so don't take your favorites.
- Many long, blind as can be shots where you cannot watch it fly for most of the way and have to trust you know your disc very well, then walk around in tall grass or rough for half an hour searching for it, even though it was a good shot and landed 20 feet from the basket, but how could you know because you can't run faster than you can throw and you're playing alone with no spotter, right?
- Quite possibly the most heavily biased course in Michigan. Favors LHBH or RHSA shots at least 50% more than it should for an even, fair mix. You must be able to sidearm if right handed.
- Lots more poison ivy than I can tolerate.
Other Thoughts: The old course was a 4 to 4.5.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >