Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #2 (Taken 7/2008)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    10/30/2019   10/30/2019
Review By: Breh
Pros: This course has the most iconic and signature holes I've probably ever seen. From hole 1 with a double mando up to a platform green all the way to hole 29 top of the world. This course can create amazing scoring separation, with every hole being amazingly constructed. Keep your disc flat you can do well however easier said then done. 29 holes will take you all day but with not one bad hole out here that's a plus. Like I said so many iconic shots I can go on and on. The kitchen hole I5, and many more great shots, will have you throwing every which way and every disc in your bag. Beautiful tee signs with hole nicknames on most/long enough tee pads when you need them on big holes, and mach x baskets that catch well just don't miss weak side. Great mix of elevation and hole distances. Navigation is super easy as most holes pads are right by last hole without much walkouts. Pro shop on site with disc for sale and friendly help. Saftey nets on the areas that need them. To me this course is challenging and I love every aspect of it, not many courses leave you saying wow but you will always remember playing this course and the holes here
Cons: There's 29 holes here but there is a 8a and 26a might confuse some just play it as 29 and it flows great. Couple of the fairways cross fairways with each other ...some Saftey concern for that reason. Hole 20 I think it is by the clubhouse crosses fairway with 21, and the pin position by the road is really bad and shouldn't ever be there. This course will take a long long time plan for it you don't come back to parking lot until hole 19 I think. Rollouts are a huge factor hear, and I'm sure you've all heard the saying you got DeLa'd try to land flat I like the death greens and to me not really a con. The cliffs on the side of some of these holes are insane and dangerous again I like it if you miss fairway you should get punished however this isn't great for new players families or older people if they go down there.
Other Thoughts: Parking is only 2 dollars and worth every penny. Some massive uphill shots like hole 2 and 24 I think it is bring lots of water hard ground to walk on can give you big skips and rolls keep that in mind on your shots

DeLa Love

1    6/8/2019   6/9/2019
Review By: Chuck Reed
Pros: Challenging course with opportunities to make birdies. Locals are friendly.
Iconic setting. 29 holes!
Cons: No maps.
First timers need help from a local to locate the pin
and the next tee in some cases.
Small parking lot.
Other Thoughts: A destination course, if you're in the area, make the effort to play here! I already want to go back.
It's on my top three list.

Can't Forget the DeLa

1    8/4/2018   8/15/2018
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: - Where to begin. Its Dela!
- No better feeling than launching it from Top of the World.
-Friendly Locals
-Get in Shape playing here
-tests every shot in the bag
27 holes and none seemed repetitive
-Gravity! (Hole 11, I think) is a hole I would put in my top 10 all time.
Cons: -Cluster of Holes that start the round are too close together. Was an issue at some other courses in the area as well (Golden gate Im looking at you)
- Guy running the trailer was surly and kinda rude. I wanted to get some Dela stamped discs as souveniers. His window was open but told me to buzz off he was closed. Ok dude, whatever.
Other Thoughts: ...due to originality and if I ever went solo my favorite MC would be me.

Day 4 of 12 day DG trip.

Holy Balls! DeLaVeAgA! Just driving up to the course you could feel the history. The anticipation was palpable. We parked near the trailer and went to work. DeLa was ours to be had!

I pared the first few and thought to myself - "yeah I can hang with the big boys". ...and then proceeded to go 10 over. Womp Womp. Lost my favorite G* Destroyer on 12 or 13. Green with a bunch of stripes my daughter poly-dyed for me. If you find it let me know!

DeLa is not for the timid nor the weak. you have to commit to your shots and execute or else pay the consequence. I am a better player after playing these courses even if I don't play well. That is the mark of a great course to me. Enjoy the challenge and test yourself. its not always easy but your game will improve on your local 18 after days like August 4th, 2018.

Friend I was with almost aced Top of the World. That was a highlight as good as anything i've seen ever.

Fantastic Course, Well Maintained, Active DG Community, Thumbs Up All Around

1    7/25/2017   7/25/2017
Review By: Treeplant
Pros: - Beautifully maintained park with great hole layouts and multiple pin positions.

- Disc golf only park that's tucked in behind a golf course, so very little interference from the general public, though we did see a couple of what appeared to be hikers.

- Good concrete pads and signage, well maintained.

- Good length and challenge to most of the holes, not a whole lot of gimme Par 3s.

- Good mix of elevation and left/right bends that let you use the full range of throws in your bag.

- Although there are some nasty spots to lose discs, for the most part you will not be in danger of losing discs if you're able to stay on or close to the fairway. Rolling way off line or grip locking off to the right can put you off a massive hill, but it's not like the fairways have long grass or are lined with thornbushes that make small misses hard to find.

- Great little shack that sells a limited selection discs and snacks in the parking lot. A good place to go for info on the course or for info on the surrounding disc golf community, which sounds awesome.

- A few mandos, but they didn't overdo it with mandos or OBs when designing the course. They used the lay of the land to create the challenge, which is really great.

- Benches at pretty much every hole is awesome, especially for someone like me who doesn't carry a stool around. A lot of the tee pads were shaded as well, so waiting on other groups wasn't nearly as painful as it can be at other courses.
Cons: - Without a course map, can be a little confusing to find the next tee.

- Fairways are tight together in spots, people in our group were almost hit twice in the one round we played. It's completely fine, you just need to keep an eye out.

- Busy course, I was told it can take a very long time to play 18 or 27 holes at peak times.
Other Thoughts: - The golf course you drive through on the way into the disc golf course also has baskets, which can be played for a fee on certain days of the week. Just google the Delaveaga Golf Course phone number and call the pro shop for info.

- It's worth taking the time to look ahead on a few holes. there are some blind shots and some pin placements where going past the pin can roll you off a painful hill.

- We played this course because we were told this was one of the best courses in the state and a couple of people said it was one of the top courses in the world. It is an absolutely fantastic course that's well maintained with a couple of neat views, but I was expecting a little more myself because it had been hyped up so much to me. Was worth the drive and I really loved playing it, but it was all Par 3s and there wasn't anything about it that completely blew me away. Absolutely nothing wrong at all with the course in anyway but don't go in expecting every hole to have breathtaking views or staggering elevation drops or incredibly challenging unique Par 5s etc.

- One of the best courses I've ever played.

- Get there early to beat the heat and the crowds!

One of my all time favorites

5+    7/17/2017   7/22/2017
Review By: KMBreith
Pros: Tee pads in mostly good condition, tee signs accurate, and baskets are always on the move
Great hole to hole variety: up, down, left, right, and everything in between
"Top of the World": 500+ ft downhill shot with a view of Santa Cruz and the Pacific Ocean
Small pro shop with nice employees, snacks, drinks, and discs for sale
I meet awesome people
Cons: All par 3
Not enough garbage cans
Crowded on the weekends when it's nice out (obviously)
Lacking signage around the course (pay attention to tee sign for next hole, or ask!)
Other Thoughts: Overall one of my all time favorite courses! While there may be a few things that could use improvement, I truly believe this course to be a model for others.
I will continue to come back to this place for as long as I live!

What a place!

1    11/26/2016   4/9/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Beautiful place.
The combination of challenges is incredible.
The tunnel shots are some of the toughest I've seen.
The mountain shots are amazing.
Cons: It's a little scary to have discs flying at you from seemingly nowhere. There are nets in places to help, but I heard "FOUR" a lot.
Other Thoughts: I drove 45 minutes one way to get here and it was well worth it.

DeLaveaga Park

1    12/9/2016   1/14/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads with notches carved across

Has tee signs with locations of the various basket placements

Has a bench at every tee pad if I'm not mistaken

Has multiple basket placements for most holes

Has some mandos

More wooded than open fairways with doglegs and elevations - which will be challenging to the casual player

Park is exclusive for disc golf

Nice scenery

Well-maintained

Porta potty
Cons:
Course design and flow could use improvement as there are some holes that have intersecting fairways

Long 29 hole course can be demanding and intimidating to those not ready for a challenge

Baskets are hard to locate on some holes - need flags or bright paint

Some holes require blind shots - recommend a spotter

Many opportunities to lose discs abound here via rollaways, blind shots, tree catching - recommend backup discs

Needs more next tee signs - recommend a course map for the first-timer

No variety in pars - par 87

Course can get crowded at times as it's popular with players

Pay to park but worth it
This a nice, challenging 29 hole course in Santa Cruz that I enjoyed playing while vacationing out here. I would have never known about this course if it wasn't for Central Coast Disc Golf - thanks guys! I probably would have had more fun if it wasn't raining on the Friday morning that I played. In fact, I was bummed to learn that the baskets for holes 2, 17, 25, 26, 26a, and 27 were removed due to drainage projects and area rejuvenation until March 31st. Making the best of it, this course is a hard one to play while raining. Losing your grip on throwing wet discs can be frustrating enough where there are plenty of crooked trees on tight enough fairways to deflect into a nearby ravine. Or maybe it's the approach shot that hits one of the many exposed tree roots and rolls away down the mountain. Or perhaps the death putt that doesn't find the chains but the abyss instead. After playing this course, I understand how Dela became a verb. After watching the pros play this course from the Steady Ed Memorial Masters Cups, I have profound respect for them more than ever. In my opinion, the course falls short of being perfect. As listed in my cons, number one con for me is the intersecting fairways for some holes. I have played almost 100 courses at this time and only a handful of them have this con. With a park this large, one would assume that there wouldn't be any intersecting fairways. The Mach X baskets were in great shape to play with but most are hard to spot from the tee pad with the trees in between and with all the various basket placements. Some of the holes could have used more next tee signs to direct flow - thankfully I had my course map from DGCR to refer to throughout the round. With the course having varied elevations and lots of trees, some holes such as holes #12 and #15 require blind shots. Many opportunities to lose discs abound here via rollaways, blind shots, tree catching so one should prepare to part ways with a disc. No variety in pars as the par is 87 (29x3) - definitely a technical course where many holes are challenging enough to par despite their distances with some being arguably tweeners. The tee signs appeared to be old and could use updating but I didn't list this as a con - the old signage is somewhat appealing and gives this course character if that makes sense. Playing in less ideal conditions on that day, I saw very few players braving the elements. I understand how this course can be crowded though given how challenging and fun this course is to play. If you're in this area, you should play it as it's very unique.

New Pay to Play Course on the Ball Golf Couse

5+    8/3/2016   8/4/2016
Review By: Redline4j
Pros: All the pros have been mentioned in other reviews.

I would like to add that they have added 18 holes to the ball golf course and are soon to open them to the public. The DG will play on the ball golf course concurrent to th e ball golfers. As of the date of this review, 8/3/16, I was told they are still a few months out from going live. They have played a couple of tournaments on the ball golf course and permanently placed 18 baskets. I can't wait to play the ball golf DG course.
Cons: Poison Oak on the existing DG course. Stay on the fairway, and poison oak is not much of a challenge, but stray a bit off course, and BEWARE!
Other Thoughts: The course club has done an excellent job keeping this course up and improving where necessary. Mult pin placements make for a different course each time played.

Awesome course!

1    3/30/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: JBrew012
Pros: Great mixture of fairly open, long holes as well as tough shots with obstacles.
Cons: Some of the holes were difficult to locate from the tee pad.
A few of the correct tee pads were difficult to locate.
Other Thoughts: I saw that this course was extremely popular, so when I was on a road trip in the area, I had to give it a go. It was a blast. There were some open shots, but some technical shots as well. The great thing about the technical shots though is that the woods on either side are clear enough on the ground that you can easily spot a disc if you make an errant throw. Good course for beginners and more advanced players. Fun course!

Respect the DeLa

2-4    3/21/2015   3/23/2015
Review By: Skwirly
Pros: -Nice new MachX baskets in each hole
-Large cement teepads with good grip on most holes
-Great variety of holes, very few seem similar
-Challenging, some may find it too difficult but I thought it was just right, not for beginners.
-Great views of Santa Cruz and the surrounding forest, not just on the signature Top of the World hole
-They sell discs at the golf pro shop on the road coming up to the course. They also have a shipping container set up at the course where they sell discs and they guy running it was very nice and knowledgeable.
Cons: -A few crossing fairways, which really bothered me since it's such a large course, it seems they could cut it down to 27 holes and avoid these crossings, but at the same time it might end up leaving a long walk between some holes.
-At least one teepad that was very small.
Other Thoughts: One thing I don't consider a con personally, but could go either way for others was the extreme elevation on a lot of holes, this is definitely a good hike. I enjoy the exercise and playing in Northern California that's usually the norm. The crossing fairways really bothered me, but I'm not sure what the best way to eliminate them would be. I went on a Saturday midday and it wasn't too busy, but we did have to wait on those in front of us a few times and for somebody to shoot on the crossing fairways. Overall this course lives up to the hype. You have to play it smart, know how to shape your shots and use the spin of your disc for good placements. I tried to be brave on a couple holes and ended up in the canyons along the fairways. I didn't lose any discs, but I gained a nice poison ivy rash. The poison ivy is easy to avoid if you stay on the fairways or at least don't go too far off them. The Kitchen and Top of the World holes are in my top 5 holes played and they're on the same course. I've played other top of the worlds but they pale in comparison to this one.

< Prev 1 2 3