Arvada, CO
Bird's Nest Disc Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #19 (Taken 8/2008)
3 / 225ft.   3 / 225ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Nasty Nest. Home Sweet Home

5+    6/20/2017   6/20/2017
Review By: ZachTuthill
Pros: Concrete tees and tons of hole placements, including several alternate and tournament baskets.

Holes of every distance and shots demanding every type of throw.

Designed as a Disc Golf park.

You can frequently find John Byrd puttering around and he's always down to shoot the breeze, if not throw a round with you.

Wildlife. A family of Golden Eagles inhabits trees on the North border, and I've seen Baldies and several varieties of hawk as well. I've seen Fox, Coyote, and even a Tiger Salamander retrieving a disc from the "lake." I've never encountered a rattlesnake, despite it seeming like prime territory, and do not believe they live here.

Cons: Weather. In the windswept western suburbs, storms move quick. The Nest is a MASSIVE course, and if you don't pay attention to those sketchy clouds above Boulder, you'll be running half a mile at a full clip trying to protect your iPhone from getting wet.

This course eats discs. Johnny B does his best with the grass, but most of the time it's pretty long. In addition to this, discs here frequently hit and roll up to 60 feet in any direction, regardless of how it was coming down. The result is that even skilled discers who think they know where a 350 ft shot landed might find it 20 minutes and 50 feet later in a sage bush.

Navigation. If you don't know the course, I can see it being tricky. The sheer length of some holes and distance between tee pads can make you question your target. Random bonus tee pads and arbitrary spare baskets probably don't help.

People know about it now (see below).
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, and I tried not to be biased. But here's my experience with the course I've played the most. I grew up on the nearby westwoods golf course, and in 2005 we stumbled upon this raw, unfinished idea of a disc golf course on a massive and barren piece of desert that the city didn't care about. The appeal for us was to use the secluded parking lot to hook up with our girlfriends and smoke hookah and such. Eventually, however, we purchased discs and decided to learn the game here, which in retrospect toughened us up and helped our game. Playing Bird's Nest was basically committing to a couple hours in scorching heat getting beat up by the course. A course designed by a man with a lot of ambition, few resources and a wicked game. We loved it then and still do.

Although upgrades and expansions were painfully slow, they did indeed happen, and as of 2017, Bird's Nest is a Mecca for tournaments, families, massive groups, etc. While I wholeheartedly support the mainstreaming of disc golf, I can't help what my friends and I are. And what we are now at Bird's Nest are the guys discreetly discussing how to politely play through your family. The guys who, unimpeded, could manipulate this course to fit any time constraint or player skill level. But trying to keep a round fluid while simultaneously playing through less skilled players on every hole is tricky. I've found myself scratching my head after two hour rounds that have somehow stil felt rushed. Bird's Nest now has the funding, attention and equipment needed to set up a quality experience for pretty much anyone now, and John is working hard to make that happen. Now that the public is aware of it, tournaments are being held almost weekly, and the city even boasts about it on its website. This course is an example of disc golf becoming part of Colorado culture and recreation, and I adore that.

But another part of me misses playing 36 holes in 95 degree heat and and only encountering one person the entire time. He had no idea this course existed and just happened to see the sign headed west on 64th.

All changes and bias aside, I highly recommend this course to anyone living in the metro area, and anyone passing through. Bird's Nest is only getting better, and if the price of fame is traffic, I'm cool with that.

12 years later

No signs, high grass and cacti, Oh My.

1    6/12/2017   6/18/2017
Review By: enragedmullet
Pros: - baskets in decent condition

- plays close enough to a loop

- there's the occasional bench and trash can, and a port-o-john at the parking lot, as well as a kiosk/donation box near #1

- nice mix of distance and good use of available elevation
Cons: - inconsistent tee pads - some are concrete, some are rubber pads, some are natural.

- inconsistent signage- most holes are just a post w/ number. one (15) has an actual diagram and info. after 18 you're on your own.

- navigation - A map is a necessity the first time out and even with it I got turned around a couple times. Luckily there was a helpful local out also. I also couldn't even locate 25-27. It can get a little confusing as some of the fairways get a little close to each other and, as it's a plain w/ few trees, some of the baskets for other holes are visible near the one you're aiming for

- I played in early June and the brush was getting high enough to hide discs very easily. Couple that w/ the cacti that's present and things can get downright prickly.

- not a great variety in shots needed or open bombs vs technical shots. Most are grip 'n' rips.
Other Thoughts: a lot of mndiscg's review from 2014 still seems pretty spot-on for me personally. That said, I feel like in a different season the course would be completely different - maybe even fun. As it is though, w/ limited shade, high temperature, high grass, cacti, and confusing initial navigation, this course was a challenge to say the least. Bird's Nest kicked my ass my first time here but I think it's definitely worth repeat trips. I can't wait to try it out in winter. Not for the faint of heart though, and I wouldn't call it a beginner's course

#1 is a fun top-of-the-world-ish shot near the only water that could possibly come into play. 9, 14 & 15 are also nice holes w/ good distance making good use of the trees in the area.

Fun course

1    4/6/2017   4/6/2017
Review By: sjroesinger
Pros: Well marked boxes (until 19)
Varied holes
Practice basket and driving range
Cons: Holes 19+ were hard to follow/not marked
Lots of cactus on 19/20
Other Thoughts: There was no water when I played, so losing a disc wasn't a risk, but could be if wet

Bird's Nest

5+    2/11/2017   2/11/2017
Review By: Williamburrows
Pros: -Course is built on a large area
-Friendly locals
-Variety of short and long holes, wooded and open, flat and elevation changes
-27 Playable holes
-2 basket practice area
-Scenic open space park
Cons: -1-18 holes are marked, but no signs with distances except 15
-19-C have lots of cactus and tall grass. Easy to lose discs on these holes and step on cactus.
-It can be easy to lose your way to the next tee and walk to the wrong tee pad. Specifically 5 to 6 and 13 to 14. Hole 17 basket is hard to see and many play back to 1 on accident. 19-24 and A,B,C are even more confusing and not marked well if at all.
Other Thoughts: I would give The Nest a higher rating if the holes were better marked with signs stating distances. I really enjoy playing this course, but I'm not even sure if the hole I play as A is actually C, and the one I play as C plays back to one of the 2 practice baskets. The Bird man does his best with the upkeep of this place, I just wish there was a millionaire disc golfer who would throw some cabbage at this course for signs and maintenance to make it just a little better. This could be a 5 star course.

2-4    7/9/2016   7/10/2016
Review By: Parataxis
Pros: Good mix of shots for a front range course.
Fun use of trees later in the course.
Cons: Can be easy to lose a disc on some holes.
Can't say I love the first 8 or so holes.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you donate! It's pretty amazing that this course is entirely volunteer designed, built, and maintained. It's also pretty close to Phenix Disc Sports which is... amazing.

Good shoulder season course

5+    5/28/2016   5/28/2016
Review By: PaddyBudz
Pros:

Multiple Pin positions from short to long

Good mix of distance and elevation

27 Holes

-Doesn't get too crowded, good for early morning/evening rounds

-right next to a dog park
Cons: Wind - with it being right up against the foothills it can get windy

Soupy - The course is in an open space/flood plane so during the rainy season and mid spring when it is wet the course can and does flood from time to time making certain holes unplayable

lack of signage - it looks like at some point in the past there were t-box signs showing pin positions and distance but they wore out or were vandalized and tore down, now there is no signage and it is all LOS or just knowing where stuff is from playing before

navigation on the top 9 - non-existent, so unless you've played it before you won't know where to go

grass can eat discs when it is long

wide open, so you can throw sky high shots without much penalty
Other Thoughts: Like other reviewers said even though APEX puts their name all over it they don't do anything for it. John Bird (the designer and course manager) does everything from mowing, to moving baskets to other course maintenance. So if you want the grass mowed and play the course more than once or twice a year throw a few bucks in the donation box.

1    5/21/2016   5/21/2016
Review By: Beardface
Pros: -Long Course
-Varied Shots
-Lots of Fun Obstacles
-No Pedestrians/Multi Use
-Relatively Intuitive Layout
Cons: -Can be Crowded
-Easy to Lose a Disc
-Potential for Marshy Wet Areas
-Lots of High Grass
-Holes 19+ need some serious love
Other Thoughts: I played this course for the first time today with no info except a cell phone photo of the map at the kiosk near the parking lot. The course flows pretty well if you take a second to orient yourself between holes, and has some interesting shots throughout.

I spoke a little while with the course manager, John Bird, and learned that this course is entirely maintained by donations. Grass is mowed when there is enough money to by a few tanks of gas and sharpen the mower blades. Most of the cons every review listed would be improved through more funding, so I encourage you to donate!

Decent disc golf course in Denver area

1    7/23/2015   7/23/2015
Review By: ryyedogg
Pros: This is a good 27 hole course that is used strictly for disc golf. With all the tall grass and vegetation, it is pretty clear where to go for the next hole by how the course is mowed. The course has a good mix of downhill, open, and wooded shots. The tee pads are nice and concrete for effective drives.
Cons: Tall grass and vegetation on most holes can force you to waste time looking for your disc. Watch out for cacti if you do end up looking. The area around tee #3 can get wet and muddy being the low point. The course could use signs to help guide people the right way. Holes #19-27 do not have concrete tee pads so it can be difficult to navigate.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the better courses in Denver since it does have a good variety of holes and you don't have to deal with any pedestrians getting in the way.

5+    6/13/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: 00greenwj
Pros: 27 holes

long shots with lots of variety

Cons: poorly maintained, currently covered in waste high grass that eats discs. barely playable.

cactus everywhere on the back back 9
Other Thoughts: Hopefully it gets mowed soon. might be best played in winter.

Rat's nest

1    6/3/2015   6/3/2015
Review By: Rowick
Pros: Its a bit more entertain albeit a lot more frustrating than watching grass grow which is pretty much all the maintenance that goes into it

A lot of different holes and a lot of different lines to take on most holes

Could be a really good course like 3.5-4 rated if the people whose job it is to matain the land pretended to care about doing so
Cons: I could go on for days about what a pain in the neck it is to play on 40 acres of thigh deep grass, but I will assume most people reading this already know that

No tee signs just a pole with a numbed sticker(that a tee sign could be very easily attached to) but a lot of sings saying keep out most of which seem to be right where you need to go making this probably the most unwelcoming course I have ever played after I lost my 4th disc on hole ten all of which would have been easy to spot of the course had been mowed anytime in the past year I was done I will stay in Aurora and play the better courses here

Other Thoughts: I don't think that all DG courses have to be pristine but I feel like we should at least try to have a fairway of sorts at least on some holes I live in Aurora which is a little bigger but a lot poorer town and some how we keep our course mowed I guess people in Arvada just don't want to spend money on something that isn't a status symbol

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8