Middlesex, VT
Wrightsville Beach Share
Uploaded By: philvil Hole #6 (Taken 8/2012)
4 / 162ft.   4 / 238ft.   4 / 328ft.   4 / 381ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Approach

Weekday after work fun

1    7/22/2019   7/28/2019
Review By: Rainbowjon
Pros: decent mix of shots and terrain. 4 tees per hole. front 9 holes more flat in the woods. back 9 were more up and down hill shots with a couple of flat areas mixed in.
big parking area plus the hidden parking lot off route 12 just up from entrance.
cost of 4.50 is decent for 18 holes
decent traction on the course despite alot of pine needles on course when it rains

Cons: really wet when it rains. some of the holes being so flat do gather alot of puddles. There is granite steps that you can walk on. wear decent footwear
Other Thoughts: overall a good woods course. mixture of hole lengths and shot varieties needed is a nice touch.

Wonderful

1    8/2/2018   8/2/2018
Review By: david sunoo
Pros: Great fun course , has a little wonderland feel to it. With 4/5 tee positions it's great for the pros and beginners , having this beautiful beach to jump in after was way worth the 4$ each it cost us. Nice bathrooms changing rooms a small shack to rent discs and buy drinks. I really enjoyed this course.
Cons: Gravely small not flat tee areas. Honestly this is the only problem of the course I think, slightly uncomfortable tee areas.

Incredibly Fun Course

1    7/28/2018   7/28/2018
Review By: Jakenewcomb44
Pros: Super fun course. Makes you feel like a pro on some holes. Almost all the holes are woods holes, and some are really short, but none are too tight to be a pain in the butt. Some great chances to put up some good scores, maybe even an ace or two. A couple of holes are very scenic.
Cons: A little short in spots. I started playing on the white tees because they were the middle tees on the first hole and I usually will play middle tees if three tees are available. As I worked my way through the course I quickly realized that I should have been playing blue, if not gold. It's a short course, and not really that tight. If you have any ability at all, play the gold tees.
Other Thoughts: Wear appropriate footwear on this course as there are some steep grades to traverse.

You need to play here!

1    7/23/2017   8/22/2017
Review By: schenckc13
Pros: It's a great course with a lot to offer all player and all abilities. Super aesthetic and fun. Tons of different shots; ups, downs, rights, and lefts, and even a glorious water hazard with an awesome view of the lake. The woods are great, not too tight, and the open fairways let you rip some drivers!
Cons: Tee boxes could use some updates and the course weaves in and out of some holes which isn't great, and there's a break between the front and back half with the parking lot in between, but that really doesn't affect the overall pros of the course! Other than that it's awesome!

Love at First Sight

1    9/21/2016   12/14/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:

I fell in love with this course and pretty much the whole state of Vermont. This casual 18 hole course plays up and down through the woods next to the lake. I love that this disc golf course was located right next to the beach. I was lucky to play this course a beautiful and warm Indian Summer day. I played this course as part of my 12 States in 12 Days disc golf road trip.

I used bullet points for those that don't want to read the entire review.

Challenging fun in the Woods
This is a fun 18 hole course that plays up and down hills in the woods next to the lake. While it is not Championship level golf, there is still plenty of challenge to be found in these woods. The design makes great use of the elevation changes. There are some short ace run holes and even a couple of par fours. The longest tees can be played by any advanced player while the forward tees are perfect for newer players and youngsters.

Four Tees
Nearly every hole on the course had four different tees. Each tee area is clearly marked with color coded wooden stakes. The Gold tees were the longest, followed by the Blue, White and Red. The front on the tees are also marked with a front foot board. Most of the Gold and Blue tees had graded, gravel tees.

Two Targets
Technically, there are two targets on most holes, there are traditional yellow DISCatchers target on every hole as well as bucket targets on many holes. The bucket targets were made by painting a yellow "band" on the bucket and placng it upside down on a four by four post.

Casual Fun
Compared to the Smuggler's Notch facilities, this place is very informal. This course had a fun and relaxing "barefoot" vibe. There was nothing fancy here, except a super fun round in the woods. The course offers plenty of challenge, but it was laid back at the same time. It is not designed for big arms looking to throw far. Even if the Gold Tees are not Championship level disc golf, they will challenge experienced players to keep in the fairway. If I lived nearby, I would spend my entire summer discing in the woods and hanging out at the beach.

Navigation
I was worried that without maps and tee signs that navigation would be a challenge. However, the course is very easy to navigate. No fancy tees signs, but each of the four tees are well marked by color coded wooden stakes. All the tee marker stakes were clearly labeled. There are next tee signs hanging from the bottom of all the targets.

Well Maintained
Even though the tees were natural, they were well maintained. The course was clean, free of garbage and vandalism. There were some areas of the course that were getting a little shaggy, but that is understandable this late in the year. I was impressed the bucket targets don't get tagged or stolen. Not all ritzy like the Smuggler's facility but casual, fun and enjoyable.

Compact Design
Even though this is an 18 hole loop course, it has a nice compact design. There is very little walking to get to the next tee. The course ends right back where you started at the parking area.

Pay to Play
This is a public park, but it does charge a fee for the beach and a dollar extra to add disc golf. The non-resident fee was only $3.50. The parks where I live charge $8 to $10, so this was a bargain for me.

All 18 in a Row
The first tee is located right off the parking lot. The course winds out and about for 18 holes. Once you tee off on Hole 1, you don't return until you play all 18 holes. Hole 18 finishes next to the beach shack/pro shop, restrooms and parking area.

Restrooms
There were restrooms/changing rooms next to the first tee and the beach shack/pro shop. There were no other facilities on the course. Since the course winds through the woods, there are plenty of opportunities for privacy.

Solo Play
I had no problems playing on my own. Since the course is fairly short and well maintained there is no need to have a spotter. There are only a few areas with super rough, rough, so there is very little risk of losing a disc.

Kids, Carts and Strollers

I would say absolutely yes to kids, but no to carts or kids in strollers. Carts and strollers might have a tough time navigating the narrow paths between some holes along with all the rocks and roots. Bring your kids along to play. Since there are four tees on every hole, young players can play along from the forward White or Red tees. Plus the beach is right here. This is a great place to spend the day with everyone in your family.

Friendly Staff
The guy working at the Beach Shack/Boat Rental/Pro Shop was friendly and helpful. He was very casual and laid back just like the disc golf course.
Cons:
Natural Tees
While the gold and blue tees have been leveled and developed with gravel, if you have trouble playing on gravel tees or natural tees, this could be a con for you. I think having four separate tees for each hole outweighs the lack of more developed tees.

Pay to Play
While not a con for me, some folks think disc golf should be free. It is only $3.00 for residents and that includes admission to the beach. If you don't like the beach, you will still have to pay. Many parks where I live, charge $10.00 just to enter, so this seemed like a bargain to me, and the beach was a bonus!

Kayaks and paddleboards for rent
I like that this course is on the lake and next to the beach. If you don't enjoy playing next to lakes or spending time on the beach, you might not find the experience as enjoyable. I rented a Kayak when I completed my round. My feet were getting a little tired and it was a beautiful day at the beach and the reservoir. What a wonderful way to experience more of Vermont.

So Many Options
There were so many course options available in Vermont. I am very glad I chose to play at Wrightsville Beach. This course was recommended to me by a disc golfer I met while playing the courses at Smuggler's Notch. He specifically mentioned Wrightsville Beach was a fun course and he was definitely correct. Wrightsville Beach was a great contrast compared to the glamorous resort courses.

Better than Black Falls
This course would be very comparable to Black Falls, only more fun. Black Falls and Wrightsville DGC are casual alternatives to the fancy resort golf at Smuggler's Notch. However, if I could only play one or the other, I would choose Wrightsville Beach over Black Falls for the fun factor. Throw in the fact that Wrightsville is easier to reach, closer to civilization and other courses and it is an easy choice. I felt like I was trespassing in someone's back yard at Black Falls. My opinion is obviously clouded by my love for Wrightsville Beach. To be clear, Black Falls would be more challenging and Black Falls provides more shot variety, and Black Falls actually has tee signs on every tee. So why do I love this course more? If you are not a cut off jeans and barefoot on the beach kind of person, throwing at the bucket with the yellow stripe, you might not enjoy Wrightsville as much as I did.

Vermont is awesome
Vermont is beautiful from top to bottom. I started my 12 States in 12 days road trip in Vermont. I am so glad I took the time to spend several days here before heading to the other 11 States. Playing disc golf and driving across Vermont was one of the highlights of my 12 day disc golf adventure - actually one of the highlights of my life. One of the things I love most about disc golf is it gets me out into the woods and close to nature. Getting to experience the nature of Vermont up close and personal was an amazing experience. I can't wait to come back to Vermont again.

Rating
Five discs for fun. Five discs for location. Five discs for having four sets of tees. Extra credit for having a dual bucket course. It is a five disc design if you are an average player. The fact there are no signs and gravel tees brings the real world into my love affair with this course. So very close to a five.....

Wrightsville

1    9/24/2016   9/24/2016
Review By: 2 Chainz
Pros: Long drives, variety of elevations throughout the entire course made for enjoyable playing. Woods were cleared and easy to navigate. Tees and chains were well marked. Really enjoyed the course layout and the reservoir with rolling hills. Not a lot of tall grass to lose a disk in. Easy to get immersed in the playing and surrounding scenery.
Cons: The sign at the course clearly said $2.50 and when we went to pay the guy said $3.50. Worth the price, but the increased price gave a bad first impression. Also the yardage was not marked on any tee.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course but it is hard on a college budget and won't be able to play it every weekend.

Wright on

5+    7/8/2016   7/8/2016
Review By: Knowuh
Pros: Good variety on this layout, up, down, left and right, all shots are utilized in the design. There is a fee but it's like 3 bucks, basically a donation. The course plays on a beautiful piece of land around the day use area and never gets old to me playing it regularly. It's a low impact walk to play so multiple rounds are friendly. Plenty of parking, a great beach for a hot day swim and a shaded picnic area also make Wrightsville an all day spot.
Cons: There are a few par 4 holes that skilled player and pros will find to be more like long par 3s. Holes 11, 12 and 13 seem like filler holes to me, they are tiny and feel out of place on an otherwise stellar layout. A few tee pads are short for a good step-run up. The park closes at dawn and there is a gate so afternoon rounds can feel rushed. There is a hidden parking spot before the main entrance that locals use to avoid the gate closing and play out of season but new visitors may have trouble finding the first tee from this lot.
Other Thoughts: Bring a lunch, swim trunks and discs and make a day of this park. There is a small disc selection for sale on a picnic table by the park booth.

I Could Play This Course Over & Over!

1    8/7/2015   8/13/2015
Pros: The "Beach" is a blast. It's a lovely little recreational course, well maintained, with four sets of clearly marked tees. They are by order of difficulty, Golds, Blues, Whites and Reds. The Reds definitely play as a beginner level. The white I would call a Pitch & Putt. I'd say the Blues would be considered a decent Recreational level. The Golds would be a harder Recreational Level, maybe some of them play at an advanced level.

The course design is probably it's greatest strength. It features such a range of holes from uphill-downhill-short Ace runs to more open and then hysers to annies. There are so many lovely fun holes to play here, I just couldn't stop smiling. It just makes you want to come back and challenge yourself on each one of the different tees.

The amenities weren't over the top super like Smugglers Notch-Brewster Ridge course but they were way more than adequate. The tee pads are crushed rock. They seemed packed pretty well. I think they varied in size depending on the tee color. The signage was OK but not the most informative around.

There were lots of holes that I like really liked. So many fun little ACE runs and clever little hyser throws and great anhysers, too.

The park has many other things to do with a swimming beach, ample parking, picnic facilities, restrooms and the reservoir for boating.
Cons: I can see how wet it might be on this course. However, there are quite a few bridges and walkways built over the more marshier areas.

The gate is locked at 8 pm sharp. I'd love to keep playing sometimes when there's still light.

$2 or $3 to play seems cheap and well worth it.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful and enjoyable course is just a joy to play. Challenge yourself against different levels of difficulty with the four different tees. I really don't think I'd ever grow weary of playing here. It's so lovely, the design is creative, all those Ace runs. Definitely a course I'd like to ship back to Washington with me!

Some good, some bad

1    8/3/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: overkill
Pros: About 6 to 7 holes were cleared, well maintained and fun to play as far as layout etc ...
Cons: The rest were seriously overloaded with mud between the tee and the hole making it very difficult to traverse.

Great Course

2-4    9/21/2014   9/23/2014
Review By: JabbaTheFunk
Pros: This course has a lot of fun holes that vary in their difficulty. Elevation plays a role in a lot of the holes which provides a challenge. There are four different tees (Gold, Blue, White, Red) for each hole which allow you to choose which difficulty you would like. Attached to the bottom of each basket is a wooden arrow pointing to the next tee which is very helpful. The course is cheap to play and well maintained. Some holes have excellent views There is also league play there which consisted of a good group of people and was fun to play.
Cons: The tee pads are gravel and some of them could be are not in the best shape. Some have divots and some are a little short. There are no signs at the tee pads to show the hole layout or the distances which would be nice.