Middlesex, VT
Wrightsville Beach Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #11 (Taken 9/2014)
3 / 56ft.   3 / 82ft.   3 / 116ft.   3 / 117ft. Par / Distance:

Love at First Sight

1    9/21/2016   12/14/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:

I fell in love with this course and pretty much the whole state of Vermont. This casual 18 hole course plays up and down through the woods next to the lake. I love that this disc golf course was located right next to the beach. I was lucky to play this course a beautiful and warm Indian Summer day. I played this course as part of my 12 States in 12 Days disc golf road trip.

I used bullet points for those that don't want to read the entire review.

Challenging fun in the Woods
This is a fun 18 hole course that plays up and down hills in the woods next to the lake. While it is not Championship level golf, there is still plenty of challenge to be found in these woods. The design makes great use of the elevation changes. There are some short ace run holes and even a couple of par fours. The longest tees can be played by any advanced player while the forward tees are perfect for newer players and youngsters.

Four Tees
Nearly every hole on the course had four different tees. Each tee area is clearly marked with color coded wooden stakes. The Gold tees were the longest, followed by the Blue, White and Red. The front on the tees are also marked with a front foot board. Most of the Gold and Blue tees had graded, gravel tees.

Two Targets
Technically, there are two targets on most holes, there are traditional yellow DISCatchers target on every hole as well as bucket targets on many holes. The bucket targets were made by painting a yellow "band" on the bucket and placng it upside down on a four by four post.

Casual Fun
Compared to the Smuggler's Notch facilities, this place is very informal. This course had a fun and relaxing "barefoot" vibe. There was nothing fancy here, except a super fun round in the woods. The course offers plenty of challenge, but it was laid back at the same time. It is not designed for big arms looking to throw far. Even if the Gold Tees are not Championship level disc golf, they will challenge experienced players to keep in the fairway. If I lived nearby, I would spend my entire summer discing in the woods and hanging out at the beach.

Navigation
I was worried that without maps and tee signs that navigation would be a challenge. However, the course is very easy to navigate. No fancy tees signs, but each of the four tees are well marked by color coded wooden stakes. All the tee marker stakes were clearly labeled. There are next tee signs hanging from the bottom of all the targets.

Well Maintained
Even though the tees were natural, they were well maintained. The course was clean, free of garbage and vandalism. There were some areas of the course that were getting a little shaggy, but that is understandable this late in the year. I was impressed the bucket targets don't get tagged or stolen. Not all ritzy like the Smuggler's facility but casual, fun and enjoyable.

Compact Design
Even though this is an 18 hole loop course, it has a nice compact design. There is very little walking to get to the next tee. The course ends right back where you started at the parking area.

Pay to Play
This is a public park, but it does charge a fee for the beach and a dollar extra to add disc golf. The non-resident fee was only $3.50. The parks where I live charge $8 to $10, so this was a bargain for me.

All 18 in a Row
The first tee is located right off the parking lot. The course winds out and about for 18 holes. Once you tee off on Hole 1, you don't return until you play all 18 holes. Hole 18 finishes next to the beach shack/pro shop, restrooms and parking area.

Restrooms
There were restrooms/changing rooms next to the first tee and the beach shack/pro shop. There were no other facilities on the course. Since the course winds through the woods, there are plenty of opportunities for privacy.

Solo Play
I had no problems playing on my own. Since the course is fairly short and well maintained there is no need to have a spotter. There are only a few areas with super rough, rough, so there is very little risk of losing a disc.

Kids, Carts and Strollers

I would say absolutely yes to kids, but no to carts or kids in strollers. Carts and strollers might have a tough time navigating the narrow paths between some holes along with all the rocks and roots. Bring your kids along to play. Since there are four tees on every hole, young players can play along from the forward White or Red tees. Plus the beach is right here. This is a great place to spend the day with everyone in your family.

Friendly Staff
The guy working at the Beach Shack/Boat Rental/Pro Shop was friendly and helpful. He was very casual and laid back just like the disc golf course.
Cons:
Natural Tees
While the gold and blue tees have been leveled and developed with gravel, if you have trouble playing on gravel tees or natural tees, this could be a con for you. I think having four separate tees for each hole outweighs the lack of more developed tees.

Pay to Play
While not a con for me, some folks think disc golf should be free. It is only $3.00 for residents and that includes admission to the beach. If you don't like the beach, you will still have to pay. Many parks where I live, charge $10.00 just to enter, so this seemed like a bargain to me, and the beach was a bonus!

Kayaks and paddleboards for rent
I like that this course is on the lake and next to the beach. If you don't enjoy playing next to lakes or spending time on the beach, you might not find the experience as enjoyable. I rented a Kayak when I completed my round. My feet were getting a little tired and it was a beautiful day at the beach and the reservoir. What a wonderful way to experience more of Vermont.

So Many Options
There were so many course options available in Vermont. I am very glad I chose to play at Wrightsville Beach. This course was recommended to me by a disc golfer I met while playing the courses at Smuggler's Notch. He specifically mentioned Wrightsville Beach was a fun course and he was definitely correct. Wrightsville Beach was a great contrast compared to the glamorous resort courses.

Better than Black Falls
This course would be very comparable to Black Falls, only more fun. Black Falls and Wrightsville DGC are casual alternatives to the fancy resort golf at Smuggler's Notch. However, if I could only play one or the other, I would choose Wrightsville Beach over Black Falls for the fun factor. Throw in the fact that Wrightsville is easier to reach, closer to civilization and other courses and it is an easy choice. I felt like I was trespassing in someone's back yard at Black Falls. My opinion is obviously clouded by my love for Wrightsville Beach. To be clear, Black Falls would be more challenging and Black Falls provides more shot variety, and Black Falls actually has tee signs on every tee. So why do I love this course more? If you are not a cut off jeans and barefoot on the beach kind of person, throwing at the bucket with the yellow stripe, you might not enjoy Wrightsville as much as I did.

Vermont is awesome
Vermont is beautiful from top to bottom. I started my 12 States in 12 days road trip in Vermont. I am so glad I took the time to spend several days here before heading to the other 11 States. Playing disc golf and driving across Vermont was one of the highlights of my 12 day disc golf adventure - actually one of the highlights of my life. One of the things I love most about disc golf is it gets me out into the woods and close to nature. Getting to experience the nature of Vermont up close and personal was an amazing experience. I can't wait to come back to Vermont again.

Rating
Five discs for fun. Five discs for location. Five discs for having four sets of tees. Extra credit for having a dual bucket course. It is a five disc design if you are an average player. The fact there are no signs and gravel tees brings the real world into my love affair with this course. So very close to a five.....

Wrightsville

1    9/24/2016   9/24/2016
Review By: 2 Chainz
Pros: Long drives, variety of elevations throughout the entire course made for enjoyable playing. Woods were cleared and easy to navigate. Tees and chains were well marked. Really enjoyed the course layout and the reservoir with rolling hills. Not a lot of tall grass to lose a disk in. Easy to get immersed in the playing and surrounding scenery.
Cons: The sign at the course clearly said $2.50 and when we went to pay the guy said $3.50. Worth the price, but the increased price gave a bad first impression. Also the yardage was not marked on any tee.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course but it is hard on a college budget and won't be able to play it every weekend.

Wright on

5+    7/8/2016   7/8/2016
Review By: Knowuh
Pros: Good variety on this layout, up, down, left and right, all shots are utilized in the design. There is a fee but it's like 3 bucks, basically a donation. The course plays on a beautiful piece of land around the day use area and never gets old to me playing it regularly. It's a low impact walk to play so multiple rounds are friendly. Plenty of parking, a great beach for a hot day swim and a shaded picnic area also make Wrightsville an all day spot.
Cons: There are a few par 4 holes that skilled player and pros will find to be more like long par 3s. Holes 11, 12 and 13 seem like filler holes to me, they are tiny and feel out of place on an otherwise stellar layout. A few tee pads are short for a good step-run up. The park closes at dawn and there is a gate so afternoon rounds can feel rushed. There is a hidden parking spot before the main entrance that locals use to avoid the gate closing and play out of season but new visitors may have trouble finding the first tee from this lot.
Other Thoughts: Bring a lunch, swim trunks and discs and make a day of this park. There is a small disc selection for sale on a picnic table by the park booth.

I Could Play This Course Over & Over!

1    8/7/2015   8/13/2015
Pros: The "Beach" is a blast. It's a lovely little recreational course, well maintained, with four sets of clearly marked tees. They are by order of difficulty, Golds, Blues, Whites and Reds. The Reds definitely play as a beginner level. The white I would call a Pitch & Putt. I'd say the Blues would be considered a decent Recreational level. The Golds would be a harder Recreational Level, maybe some of them play at an advanced level.

The course design is probably it's greatest strength. It features such a range of holes from uphill-downhill-short Ace runs to more open and then hysers to annies. There are so many lovely fun holes to play here, I just couldn't stop smiling. It just makes you want to come back and challenge yourself on each one of the different tees.

The amenities weren't over the top super like Smugglers Notch-Brewster Ridge course but they were way more than adequate. The tee pads are crushed rock. They seemed packed pretty well. I think they varied in size depending on the tee color. The signage was OK but not the most informative around.

There were lots of holes that I like really liked. So many fun little ACE runs and clever little hyser throws and great anhysers, too.

The park has many other things to do with a swimming beach, ample parking, picnic facilities, restrooms and the reservoir for boating.
Cons: I can see how wet it might be on this course. However, there are quite a few bridges and walkways built over the more marshier areas.

The gate is locked at 8 pm sharp. I'd love to keep playing sometimes when there's still light.

$2 or $3 to play seems cheap and well worth it.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful and enjoyable course is just a joy to play. Challenge yourself against different levels of difficulty with the four different tees. I really don't think I'd ever grow weary of playing here. It's so lovely, the design is creative, all those Ace runs. Definitely a course I'd like to ship back to Washington with me!

Some good, some bad

1    8/3/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: overkill
Pros: About 6 to 7 holes were cleared, well maintained and fun to play as far as layout etc ...
Cons: The rest were seriously overloaded with mud between the tee and the hole making it very difficult to traverse.

Great Course

2-4    9/21/2014   9/23/2014
Review By: JabbaTheFunk
Pros: This course has a lot of fun holes that vary in their difficulty. Elevation plays a role in a lot of the holes which provides a challenge. There are four different tees (Gold, Blue, White, Red) for each hole which allow you to choose which difficulty you would like. Attached to the bottom of each basket is a wooden arrow pointing to the next tee which is very helpful. The course is cheap to play and well maintained. Some holes have excellent views There is also league play there which consisted of a good group of people and was fun to play.
Cons: The tee pads are gravel and some of them could be are not in the best shape. Some have divots and some are a little short. There are no signs at the tee pads to show the hole layout or the distances which would be nice.

A Great Course @ a Great Facility

5+    8/27/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: jspring
Pros: +Lots of pros! The course is simply fun to play and asks players to throw many different shots, right, left, long, powerful, short, and with touch. Good blend of uphill and downhill shots and open and tightly wooded. A mix of easy Par 3s that are "must gets" with difficult Par 3s where a 2 would gain you a stroke on the field. There are also three Par 4s out there that add to the variety of this enjoyable course.
+Hole 3 and 14 are beautiful signature holes that blend seamlessly with the land they are on. Near perfect design IMO that makes it seem like the land was forged for this purpose alone. #3 is one of my favorite holes in all of disc golf.
+The course is part of a locally run, multi-use state park. This means it gets great maintenance attention. Everything looks crisp and buffed out when I play. It also means there are other non-DG users. This is a PRO because the course is designed so well that I haven't seen any issues between disc golfers and other park users. Well done, smart design.
+This is a course with 4 tee pads on every hole (some times shared) which is a system I love and believe is a great help in growing the sport. Reds for beginners, whites for intermediates, blues for advanced, and golds for pros.
+The other amenities the park provides are great. Really nice beach for swimming. Great reservoir for boating. Picnic tables and pavilions for outings and tourneys. Great parking. Bathrooms are there too.
Cons: -Tee pads are not great, but not bad. They use a nice mix of crushed stone that packs well when maintained. Some need to be made slightly larger and some need to be re-leveled and re-packed. I have seen them in great shape and not so great shape so I think it depends on the proximity of prior maintenance. The pads are very playable, but just could be improved.
-Closes at dusk. Sometimes I have felt rushed because the attendant locks the gate. I get why, its just not a Pro when you are traveling to get there and need to be out or get locked in.
-There are a few design quirks but they only a few! Hole #1 is super beautiful, but a tweener. I think it is supposed to be a Par 4. That is the case on a few of the par 4s. There are also a few holes where lanes aren't clearly defined. You are left wondering what the correct play is when there are lots of small gaps. Potentially a pro, or non-con for some players, but IMO there should be a fair lane that gets you a desired result on every hole. I'm thinking about Holes 5 and 17 here. Very nit-picky as I don't dislike those holes, but think a few tweaks would improved them immensely.
Other Thoughts: This is a course I play fairly often and never get sick of. Lots of fun shots that will inspire you to come back and play, or to throw more discs.
Very friendly staff and course designer!
Cheap! Definitely worth the small fee to play!
Consistently improves through time. I know that feedback is taken seriously and acted upon. I expect it to earn a 4.5 rating from me someday soon!

fun course

2-4    8/18/2014   8/26/2014
Review By: discrun
Pros: I thought this was a really fun course to play. There are a few holes that are a bit short and some throws from the golds are a bit tight but all in all still really fun. I like courses like this to help build players confidence. very beginner friendly.
Cons: inconsistent tee boxes. not al are level and they vary in size.
Other Thoughts: I think if they put some time into the gold tee boxes and thinned just a few trees off the tee pads this would be a stellar course

Great Time

2-4    8/18/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: rcj333
Pros: When you are in central VT you typically hear about Smugs, North Calais, Center Chains etc, But Wrightsville is a great course in its own right. Maybe not as long as Brewster Ridge or North Calais, It is a fun and interesting course that will appeal to a wide range of skill levels. Good use of terrain and great mix of holes. Very well maintained with nice gravel tees. Played from Golds and Blues and had a great time. Mixed experience level groups will have fun as all 4 tees are well marked and in site of each other.
Cons: Getting from hole to hole is easy if you pat attention to the little arrows on the baskets. You miss that you may get confused. Tees on occasion felt a little short, but not a huge deal. Also signage was a little light. I like basic idea of where the hole is and distance. All these were minor cons in my book.
Other Thoughts: The crew there does a great job of keeping this course in great playing condition. Plenty of other stuff to do at Wrightsville as the beach is right there, they have bbq stands, and you can rent boats. You really can make a day of it with the family and friends

Great course, almost free

1    6/29/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: polishedmarvel
Pros: Nice variety, well designed holes, beautiful walk around the course, multiple tees to adjust difficulty.
Cons: It's 'pay to play' which isn't my favorite, but $5 for 2 people is less than I spent on gas getting here :)
Other Thoughts: If only it were closer to Burlington...