St. Paul, MN
Kaposia Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Beautiful park for a disc golf course

1    8/16/2017   8/25/2017
Review By: psychodaddy21
Pros: Only my second time playing in the Minneapolis area and was pleasantly surprised upon arrival of this park. From the parking lot you can see a baskets that have maintained greens and open areas with very large trees. Tee signs are old and worn but I appreciated the nicknames for each hole (ie..Promethius Minor) Enjoyed the use of the rolling terrain, river valleys, large trees and nice tee pads. Pro shop has discs and drinks.
Cons: Course flow was not the best even though the tee signs showed direction of the next pad. I couldn't find hole 18 and ended up playing 25 instead!? Pay to play was expected and honored. What wasn't expected was to have a lot of good putts splash out due to the old, tired baskets. The guy in the pro shop even made the comment that others in the community have made this complaint.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the "Cons" steer you away from playing this nice layout and beautiful park. Playing alone wasn't the best and I would suggest finding a local for your first round. The disc golf scene in the MN is amazing and you guys certainly have some of the best courses in the country- my fav is Bryant Lake!

1    5/23/2017   5/29/2017
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This course is located not too far off I-94 and is a super fun course to play. The baskets are Mach 3's that are all in pretty solid shape and caught just fine. The are alternate pin placements on a number of holes with single tee pads. The tee pads are all nice, level concrete pads that serve their purpose just fine. 26 holes which is awesome. $5 pay to play all day. I believe they said that that's good for the Valley too. That is also a fantastic course. The flow is pretty good for the most part but there are a couple tricky spots. They offer a nice scorecard/map at the pro shop that I'd highly recommend for first timers. With this it was a non issue navigation wise. There is an awesome mix of different shots required here. The tee signs are nice and show everything you would need to know. Well done with these. There is some awesome elevation here too. 19 is a crazy tough uphill hole. 20 is too though not to the extent of 19. 22 is a cool blind downhill shot. There is a good mix of distances as well from 179 ft. up to 615 ft. This is just an all around super well designed course. The pro shop trailer has a great variety of discs. Tons of different brands to choose from.
Cons: As I mentioned above without a map this could get really confusing in a few spots. Namely 8 to 9 (cross the road and head south). 17 to 18 (Follow the path slightly north then to the east). and 24 to 25 (cross the parking lot heading east then you end up walking down 25's fairway to get to the tee and play back towards the lot). As mentioned in some other reviews, the pads are a little on the small side. This was a non issue for me but is worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a course that is worth a visit if you're nearby or even to go out of your way to play. $5 a person is standard for pay to play nowadays and this course is worth every penny. It's not quite a 4.5 but I'd say 4.25 is closer to what I'd actually rate it. This is just a really well done, challenging course that any true disc golfer will love. Highly recommend. I don't understand any of the negative comments from other reviews. This is a course anyone would love to have as their home course. This course is as fun as VQ and close to BRP. The twin cities have their s*** together as far as disc golf goes and this is one of the best here. Just a fun course man. don't overthink this.

A fun time

5+    7/1/2016   8/19/2016
Review By: Bitter Mouse
Pros: Nice selection of different holes, solid elevation changes, tight woods holes, distance holes and so on. You will test your bag and shots.
Cons: The course flow is not fabulous, with a fair amount of walking between some holes.

2-4    6/30/2016   7/1/2016
Review By: redvinesfrolf
Pros: -Baskets and tee pads all very serviceable, although tee pads aren't standardized in size.
-Tee signs are very helpful, especially in locating the next hole if you're forward-thinking like that.
-Great elevate used in both directions. 19 is absolutely torturous (uphill 60+ feet) while 18 and 22 use downhill terrain to open up cool views. The rest of the course uses the subtler topography very well.
-From a purely disc golf standpoint, I think this is one of the best courses in Minnesota. Tons of variety and design interest and you will need many different shots to score well. If the aesthetics could catch up to the course itself, Kaposia would be five stars easily.
-Often not very crowded
Cons: -Signage doesn't do enough to keep you on track without prior knowledge. Tee and basket signs are fine until 17 (whose basket is labeled 16, I believe) and gets crazier from there. Scorecards are a necessity, but aren't always available.
-Benches and trash cans could use an upgrade
-Navigation is a mess for now. My first round here, I played 17, ventured a ways down the correct path towards 18, but didn't go far enough and assumed it was for hikers or something since no signs pointed me down there. I played 25/26 like 18/19 before finding out about the correct layout. I feel like I was not the first person to make this mistake.
-Some spots are prone to flooding. Each time I've been here (after no rain) the area in front of 4's tee, the path between 11 and 12, and the path to 26 were either underwater or very soggy. Small price to pay, but something to keep in mind.
Other Thoughts: Kaposia is so close to being an elite course. It feels like it just needs a little more money to clean up some of the bad spots. New benches, trash cans, and signage (along with a small reroute) would do wonders. Personally I think it would make sense to send players down to 18 as the first hole and then route it as such: 18-24, 1-17, 25-26. That way the course would flow better, since you couldn't miss the back 8, and 25-26 wouldn't feel like a slapped-together addendum separate from the rest of the course. Anyways, Kaposia is still a must-play in the Twin Cities, especially for top-level disc golfers.

Get Your Birdies Early...

2-4    4/21/1995   1/21/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
Pros: From the 5th hole on, this course is one of the most amazing I've ever seen. Densely wooded, full of tunnel shots, and fairly well balanced between left, right, and straight shots, Kaposia also offers breathtaking elevation changes and well guarded greens.
The creek that is in play on the 18th hole is almost worth the visit alone.
Cons: The only real con is the sort that con men play: the first few holes WILL trick you into believing you've stumbled upon a fairly easy course that you can drop a -10 on every time you play it (especially if you are a lefty and start out with a few birdies as I did).
Don't be fooled. This course is challenging for the walk alone.
It's not at my very top level because the first few holes don't compare to the rest, but those holes are not to be dismissed and they did give me a chance not to be totally destroyed by what is one of my all time favorites.

Super fun, could use updating.

1    9/21/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Kaposia is an older 26 hole course in the southeast portion of the Twin Cities, and relatively close to the aiport.

Concrete tee pads on each hole. They're plenty grippy and wide, but could stand to be a touch longer. Some of the tees are showing their age, though. One tee per hole.

Decent DGA baskets, all mounted well and caught well. Some holes have multiple pin positions. A good job is done here with pin placements. Plenty of chances to roll away or get caught up in some shule close to a pin. Well done.

A lot of nice, rolling elevation. Combine this with lots of trees, and you get tons of really fun, technical shots. This is definitely my favorite type of golf.

Tee signs are adequete. More on this below.

Great distance variation here, especially with the undulating fairways. I never got a repetitive feel here. There's holes around 200', and some close to 500'. Well designed, especially for this being an older course. You'll use most of the discs in your bag at some point on this course.
Cons: Navigation is wonky, to be polite about it. I played with somebody that used to live on this course, and we still had issues with navigation, as holes are added/taken out regularly. You can VERY easily skip holes and not even realize it.

This place gets busy. We were there very early morning, and by the time we were done, the parking lot was pretty full.

P2P. $5/day. It's a nice course, but being P2P, it feels like it should be nicer. Compared to places like Bryant Lake, BRP, and VQ in the area, it's kind of dumpy.

As wooded as this course is, you never get that "secluded" feel. Several holes have a busy highway next to them, and there's a road that goes down the middle of the course. It's not bad, but it's noticeable.

It would be cool to see dual tee pads, just for replay factor.
Other Thoughts: Even with the negatives above, this place is a blast to play, especially if you're throwing 'em straight that day. Lots of technical, a few chances to bomb, lots of fun!

I'd love to give Kaposia a 3.75, but with some of the cons listed above, it just doesn't feel like 4.0 territory to me. Definitely worth the spin if you're in the area, even with all the other great choices around.

Guy in the Shack

5+    10/19/2015   10/23/2015
Review By: kingscoach
Pros: Challenging summer layout, technically demanding.with very few gimme birdies.
Back holes feature extreme elevation change
Old trees in an old park give this course a sense of history
Local backlash against pay to play keeps the waits way down
Cons:
-Number one complaint is finding your way around. Particularly on the backside. Tee signs aren't numbered because the layout changes for the winter. Worn trails often lead in the wrong direction and it's possible to play 19 holes and not realize you've missed the back eight.

-Pay to Play hours are inconsistent, sometimes the shack isn't open when you expect it, and vice versa.

Honor box new this year doesn't give you a way to identify that it's your money in the box, no proof of purchase

-Very little running water on the course. Only drinking fountain is near the parking lot and doesn't work too well.
Other Thoughts: This is my spiel when golfers are playing KP for the first time.
1. Holes 4-8 all run paralell to one another so after holing out you have to turn back and veer right to find the next tee. The trek from five to six is particularly long.
2. Same deal between 10-11 and 14-15 but turn back and veer left.
3. After 17, backtrack to the right and descend the trail into the ravine for hole 18 OR continue forward to 26 to avoid the back nasty, perilous holes AKA best eight holes on the course.

18-26 often go unplayed and can turn a trip to Kaposia into a soul crushing catastrophe. But whipping through them at par feels like a 6 or 7 down. 19 and 20 have a combined 110 feet of elevation change straight up, and with 18 holes under your belt just getting to the top of the hill feels like a win.
Last two holes are really out of the way require a lot of up and down backtracking.
Even though I''ve been working in the shack all summer I tried to keep this objective. Hope you find it helpful if you're playing KP for the first time. As always,
May the course be with you

First impression

1    10/3/2015   10/8/2015
Review By: Tmcalist
Pros: Well kept course, has a pro shop and some very interesting lines.

I gave this a two rating because I definitely felt like there were way more cons than pros. First time to play this course and because it was a championship course I was excited to play it. Now after playing it, I see why it is considered a championship course, because you have to be a freaking pro to do decent here. The course does have some cool score cards, which by the way you need for the map because you will get lost without it.
Cons: Where do I begin. The signs, might look good but they lack the key elements you actually need on a sign i.e. PAR and HOLE #. Really, the two important elements of a good posted sign for a hole and this course is missing that.

It was hard to find the next hole and tee pad. The signs they do have pointing you in the right direction were near impossible to find.

You must be a pro to play here. I am rated 881 and I shot 18 BIG at this course and this website gave me a rating of 901 which is crazy to me. I was all over the place hitting trees and having a hard time just to drop out of the rough. The rough was very unforgiving. Some holes are super narrow and several if not most felt like they were all blind shots, not able to see the basket from the tee which is very frustrating. $5 for 26 holes, sure is not a bad deal, but after playing The Valley, I would definitely prefer that course over this course any day. This course was super challenging and almost to the point where it was no longer fun. By hole 17 I was wishing that it was only an 18 hole course.
Other Thoughts: I would not necessarily recommend this course. I have heard they have tons of tournaments, outings, minis and even grill outs here which would be fun, but there are way more courses i'd prefer to play over this. If I go back to MN, I will choose a different course to play before I go back here.

1    8/9/2014   9/12/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -very large park with great land for disc golf
-lots of fun shots, tons of variety over 26 holes
-design makes great use of the land and terrain
-great mix of more open, park style holes and tight, wooded holes
-makes great use of lots of elevation changes, from subtle to drastic
-a few water hazards
-challenging lines and pin placements
-friendly locals, big local scene, lots of tourneys
-plenty of parking, pro shop
Cons: -navigating the layout is confusing. the park is well worn and there seem to be trails leading each direction after some baskets. the map and numbered tee signs are a huge help. there are also some long walks between holes.
-erosion seems to be taking its toll in some areas of the course. hopefully the locals are planning for the future of the course.
-holes 25 and 26 are so separated from hole 24, i didn't even realize they were there

-not really a con but for my own curiosity i would like to see the original 18 and the tournament layout. it would be cool if that could be marked on the map.
Other Thoughts: Kaposia is a really fun course with a lot of history. Despite the fact that it is showing its age in some places, it does not play like an old course at all. You will be surprised if you come here expecting 1990's par 3 golf. There are lots of tough holes and the average distance is about 350'.

The land is perfect for disc golf. The terrain ranges from semi-open, park style holes (1-4, 8, 11, 21, 23-24, 26) to heavily wooded tunnels (5, 13, 14, )and everything in between. I really like how the variety is spread across the course; all the wooded or open holes aren't in one spot. The elevation in the park is subtle in some places or drastic off the tee in others (18, 19, 22) and there are plenty of dangerous greens and roll away opportunities. I especially liked the tight tunnel on hole 5, the green area on 8 with a big drop off behind the basket, the elevated tee shot along the creek on 18, and the blind, downhill hyzer on hole 22.

Kaposia has a wonderful, "classic" feel to it despite playing more like a longer modern course. The course's age does show in a few places: the old tee signs from previous layouts you see occasionally, the erosion present in the hilly areas, well worn walking paths in the woods that are not always paths to the next hole, etc. I'm happy that this course is pay to play and I hope that the money goes to continuing the upgrades and face lifts that keep this 25 year old course enjoyable to play and looking good.

As a side note, I really would like to know what the original 18 looked like and I'd also like to see the tournament layout and long pins.

This was the only course I got to play on my brief stop in the Twin Cities and it really made me wish I had more time to play some other courses. Kaposia has a little bit of almost everything and does it pretty well. The trimmings are a little ragged but the golf is excellent. It may be a bit punishing for less experienced players but AM2 players and up will love it, especially if you like a wooded course.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Must play when you visit St. Paul.

1    7/1/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: Barefooter
Pros: Clean well kept coarse.
Fun golf with several memorable holes.
All the things that have been said before.
Cons: $5 bucks a day is a touch high.
No honor box.
Summer camp can get in the way on 18.
Other Thoughts: This the 4th coarse played by my wife and I on our summer vacation. It was exactly what we expected from the reviews here. It is only 15 minutes from our Aunts house, I imagine we will play it again. Quality coarse.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6