Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #4 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #4 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

1    6/12/2018   4/30/2019
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Nevin is a highly technical woods-focused course that epitomizes everything I expected to find in the Charlotte disc golf scene: demanding and uncompromising lines, smartly-used elevation, and long multi-stage holes where careful placement from shot to shot to shot are all crucial for success. At the same time, there's some welcome variety here: a few more open holes on the back 9 give you the opportunity to breath a bit, while still requiring technically precise placy to succeed. The course lets up just enough to prevent the kind of grueling (but rewarding) experience I had at say Renaissance Park, while still maintaining a focus on advanced-level play in the woods.

The best holes here combine elevation changes with tight but reasonable lines that allow for some flexibility in how they're approached. Shot versatility like forehand/backhand flexibility can be hugely helpful but is not strictly necessary owing to smart design. 16 was a highlight for me: it requires hitting a tight window that opens into a downhill slope with a landing zone bordered by OB on the left and treeline on the light. It's a well-conceived and challenging hole with a rewardingly technical shot off the tee that still requires a strong finish to capitalize on. Not all of the holes here are so well-rounded, but many have such wrinkles that elevate the course beyond it's-good-because-it's-long-and-tight.

The two sets of tees do a nice job of maximizing playability while maintaining the core experience of technical wooded golf.
Cons: Nevin is a bit more one-note than Renny Gold and Hornets Nest owing to its more exhaustive focus on tightly-laned longer holes in the woods. This is noticeable especially from the long tees, which are every bit the par 70 ascribed to them, and more often than not focus on particular shots from drive to approach that are at best modestly adaptable to one's game. This stylistic consistency could become repetitious for some, especially as a slightly off day can lead you to be scrambling from the woods for the majority of your round. The rough is far from the worst I've ever seen, but it's unforgiving and not especially conducive to recovery shots.

Beyond this critique, the most I can say is that Nevin's style is a bit more lunch pail than HH or Renny: it's beautiful and exceptionally strong but not quite consistently spectacular. It doesn't reinvent itself as consistently as those or other such best of the best courses that I've played do. Still, this is hardly a complaint: it's a darn good course as long as you don't mind playing in more confined spaces.
Other Thoughts: Of the three big Charlotte courses I've played, I would rank them Renaissance Gold > Hornest Nest > Nevin. But that's hardly to say that Nevin is a consolation prize: it's a destination course in its own right, if not quite as flashy as some of the best out there. I envy these Charlotte disc golfers and the options they have at their disposal on a daily basis.

Not for the timid

2-4    10/9/2018   10/25/2018
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This course has a nice mix of short, moderate, and longer holes in which elevation is present. Its a wooded technical course but there are a few holes where you will need to throw a driver to maximize distance potential.
Nevin is a course where you will want to place your shots and be accurate as well. This is a course that will test your physical abilities as well as your mental capacities. There are a few holes in which roll aways are present, hole 3 comes to mind here, so running that putt adds a nice extra bit of pucker factor.
Dog leg left and right playing holes are accounted for here and the lines on this course are super sweet. As stated you will want to stay in the fairway as much as possible because this course is pretty tight and pitching out can sometimes provide its own set of challenges.
Cons: As previous reviewers have stated any cons for this course are a bit nit picky:
The walk from hole 18's basket to the parking lot, depending on where you park obviously, can be a tad long.
Also some holes can get a bit sloppy with the elevation so footing might be an issue for some players.
There is a walking path that is present on a couple of holes but on 15 especially you need to pay attention and make sure walkers aren't coming around the corner before you throw.
Other Thoughts: was lucky enough to finally make it to the Charlotte area for 2018 Am Worlds this summer. I've known that the Charlotte area has many stellar courses to play and Nevin didn't disappoint. The course was in phenomenal shape for Worlds and this is a course that I would highly recommend to anyone while there were in the Charlotte area.
I really love this course, even though it got the better of me during competitive play at 2018 Worlds. However I can give a courses its props for being an outstanding course that offers a great technical challenge. I would come play this course again in a heartbeat if I'm ever lucky enough to get back to the Charlotte area. There are holes here to air drives out like 12 and 14 but for the most part this course will improve your mid and putter game. I can't say enough good things about this course. If you are ever in the Charlotte area and you enjoy playing quality golf then Nevin is the place for you. As time goes by I'm certain Nevin will age nicely. Charlotte is lucky to have such a quality gem like Nevin for their and the disc golf community's enjoyment.

Date: 11/5/2018 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for your review.
We parked by hole 9 for Am Worlds because of the shelter and practice fields for warmup. The normal parking lot for hole 1 AND 18 is about 150ft from hole 1 barely more than a turbo putt away.

Nevin

1    6/29/2018   7/2/2018
Review By: dndelli
Pros: I remember first hearing about Nevin around the time it was established, but I avoided it because for the years in that time I wasn't living in Greensboro it's been on the other side of town and its reputation as a soul crusher. This past Friday i finally heading out there with a buddy, after work, to check it out and I must say I am both upset and happy I waited so long to play there. I'd like to think I've matured as a player who knows when to show restraint and play accurately these days, but I missed years of playing at this incredible course! Stan really outdid himself this time, and all the effort that has gone in to fine tuning the course to make it have better flow and consistency since then was clearly visible. While I wish I could check out the original product, I'm glad my first experience was what it was.

For years, two of my all time favorite courses we're Angry Beaver and Hornets Nest. If those two courses could have a baby together, it would probably look a lot like Nevin. Like AB, players who focus more on accurate placement shots, instead of throwing a crush towards the green, will be rewarded and you tend to feel more secluded than many other Charlotte courses. But like HN, you're playing through an incredibly beautiful park, with a few nice open shots around thick trees.

None of the holes felt repetitive and a variety of shots are seemingly forced here. The elevation the course had to offer was all used really well, and the rough never seemed to be all that bad. Even when I launched my drive well past the basket on Hole 7, I didn't feel like I was getting torn up looking for my disc the way I would at Eastway or RL Smith. I also found a sewage cover back there, and really appreciated the fact that the course wasn't built with then in the fairway the way many, many courses around the state tend to do. Happy ending, I found my disc!

Overall, the course is really just an example of wooded golf at it's finest. Varying width of fairways, length, shapes with just a couple of open holes in the middle to keep you sane. I loved how Hole 16 played up against an OB Creek, giving the course just enough water in play to keep things interesting.

The course features Innova baskets on every hole, a practice basket, great tee signs, distance markers on the longer fairways, and nice and long concrete tees for both the short and long tee positions. Both tee positions seem like they will provide a challenge, but neither of them seem like they are ever unfair. Since we played after work, we only had time to play from the Reds, so I was happy that the short tees were there. Fortunately, like other Charlotte juggernauts, there is no lack of benches or trash cans. Giving plenty of room for respite on this beast.

This course had some truly memorable holes the whole way through. Not a single one felt like filler, and the course managed to continue to top itself as it played on. Hole 18 was truly a masterpiece, and is an epic way to capstone an incredible course!
Cons: Any cons that can be found with this course are really nitpicking, but I will mention them here anyway:

There should probably be a sign that directs players towards hole 13 near 12's basket. That was the only time I got turned around, at all. I'm sure there was an arrow at the tee sign, but until then navigation had been a snap so I wasn't paying attention for this.

To me a perfect, ideal layout would be able to incorporate a figure eight so there is a resting/exit point at hole 9, near your starting point - Nevin doesn't have this, but I believe the correct choice was made when prioritizing quality hole design and course flow over this. Plus there seemed to be restrooms around Hole 13, which is fine!

I would love to see the tee signs have painted rings on them. Red or blue bands to signify which tee you are at, both on the shared tees. This is something Patriot DGC in Kernersville did along with bag holders, and I think it was a very nice touch. (I told you I was going to be nitpicking!)
Other Thoughts: After taking a two year break from playing disc golf, I have been playing a lot of courses lately, many of which I am playing for the first time - some I am playing after they've received small redesigns. I had high expectations when I made my way to Nevin because of its high rating here on DGCR - and I was still blown away!

I am going to rate Nevin at a 4.5, for now. This is the first time I will be rating a course on DGCR this high, and I think it's definitely warranted. After playing a few more courses, I may even decide it's too low of a score. But for now what I can say, is that it is crazy for me to think that Renaissance, Hornets Nest, and Nevin all exist in the same city. There are even neighborhoods in Charlotte where all three courses are within a 6 mile radius, which is insane. Any of those three courses would be a destination course in their own right! There are many quality courses in the Queen City, but it sure must be nice to live on the west side of Charlotte as a Disc Golf fan!

Favorite Holes: 7, 12, 16, 18

Date: 7/5/2018 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review. Get out and play the longs. It was designed long and shorts added to speed up open pace of play for 2012 worlds. -Mark

One of the top courses in Charlotte

1    3/18/2018   3/24/2018
Review By: bdupree
Pros: I've only been playing now for just shy of 2 years, so I'm really still a beginner. I use DGCR to pick out new courses on good weather weekends around the Charlotte area. Reading about Nevin here, I shied away from it for a long time. It was less than 20 minutes from my house, but I played at all of the others near be more regularly. Robert L. Smith is probably the one I've played the most. Within just the first four holes at Nevin, I was already blown away. This is both the nicest condition and the best layout I've played in the area.

This course is very well signed. I think I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 baskets where I finished that I was not completely sure of where the next hole was. You can usually find the foot path rather easily for those next tee pads. Trust me, I know the best advice is to carry some kind of map... either have a PDF image available on your phone or go old school and print it out. The holes have plenty of trash cans and benches.

I hardly saw any stray trash throughout the course. That is a pet peeve of mine. I could tell quickly that someone has been doing a great deal of course maintenance (most likely CDGC), because the fairway areas were extremely clear of debris and downed limbs. All of the baskets were in good shape, too.

By far the best aspects of this course have to be the flow of the hole layouts and the absolute challenge it poses for a beginner. Sometimes, you have to challenge yourself. If you're looking for that, play Nevin! There is a great variety of left and right doglegs (and double-doglegs), many uphill and a few downhill. There are a handful of dangerous basket locations, perched on the side of a hill with high potential for roll-away putts. I had my share of those. I've actually played a lot of Charlotte area courses, and this may be the first time I have seen yardage markers along the fairway. This reminds me a lot of all the regular golf courses I play which have 200/150/100 yard markers on holes. Nevin has them mostly on the longer par 4 and par 5 holes, and you will find them on trees as small white signs.

The par 4 and 5 holes are pretty long and challenging, but I would still say they are very fair from the short tees. I was able to par #5, which truly gave me some hope on this round that ended up being a train wreck. I had so many doubles and triples, it was really humbling for a beginner. The funny thing is, I can't wait to go back and play it again.

I think this course layout has a great balance between having longer holes but yet some wider fairways. On the shorter holes, the fairway narrows down a lot on some of them. I can really appreciate the thought that went into the layout. My hat is off to Stan McDaniel, Mark Huether & Matt Keatts. Great job, guys.
Cons: I struggle a bit to come up with any cons, but I did find the routing for the last 3 holes a bit confusing. I was playing the short tees, so when I got to #16 I really never figured out where the short tee pad was located. I walked to the right from the long tee pad as signage said, and then I hit the paved walking path. There was a tee marker sign post there, but it looked like somebody made off with the short tee hole marker and map. I took a left and went down the walking path and found a sign on the path itself on a wooden fence showing the hole number and yardage, but also saying this was NOT the location of the short tee. I just went ahead and played from there, which was OK. The #17 long tee was marked well, but there was no signage from that point leading me to the short tee. I did figure out where it was up the hill on the right, and then at the same time I found the #16 short tee basket. It was all white, unlike all of the others on the course. From the #17 basket, signage leading to #18 was missing. It wasn't too hard to spot it across the park road and up a hill.
Other Thoughts: This course is simply challenging, and it is a good workout on top of that. If you are new to the game and want to push yourself, definitely go play here. Regardless of that, I have to say this is a MUST play in the Charlotte area.

Nevin Park DGC

1    4/22/2017   5/9/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads for all tees

Has excellent tee signs

Has distance to pin markers throughout

Has many benches throughout course

Has next tee signs posted throughout - easy to navigate

More wooded than open fairways with doglegs and elevations - which will be challenging to the casual player

Water comes into play on some of the holes but they aren't really a factor in losing a disc

Challenging, long course with variety of pars

Nice scenery

Well-maintained

Quiet - had whole course to myself on a Saturday morning

Free parking at multiple locations

Restrooms
Cons:
Walking path cuts through on a couple of holes - one can expect some delays on a nice day

Aside from the course already being long, some may find the long walks between holes as a con but I feel that there's good separation between them as the layout makes most of the terrain

Long course can be demanding and intimidating to those not ready for a challenge

Parking can be limited if ball games are playing
This a nice, challenging tournament-quality multi-use 18 hole course in Charlotte that I enjoyed playing on a Saturday morning while vacationing out here. After locating a parking spot near the practice basket, I was quite surprised that I had the whole course pretty much to myself that day as I didn't see any other players throughout my round. This course is probably one of the hardest that I've ever played. It's not a course you want to bring a novice to. The woods can wreck your score if you don't have the control. I believe hole #7 has a gap of about 4 feet to drive through. Hole #8 gives you the lefty or righty line to take afterwards. There are a few open holes where you can rip the drives out. Hole #15 is strange in that I almost threw into a couple of walkers coming around the bend on the path. Hole #18 is a nice finishing hole with the valley and a creek at the bottom that can change a player's standing at the end of a round. This is a long course that has good separation between the holes and I didn't mind the additional walking on top. This is a phenomenal course and definitely a destination course that made my day after I played here.

1    3/17/2017   3/20/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 8/18/2017
Pros: Nevin is one of the best courses I've played. It's a true must-play, destination course if you are visiting Charlotte. I imagine if I lived in Charlotte, I'd play it often. I've only played 7 or 8 Charlotte courses so far, but I can say that if you have time for only one course in Charlotte, I would recommend Nevin (with RL Smith being my back-up).

Pros:

+ Very long, technical course that will challenge players of all skill levels.

+ Excellent variety in hole layout, elevation, green areas (many death putts), and types of shots.

+ Several par 4's and 5's. These holes were not just "longer par 3's," but true par 4's and 5's with tricky lines to ideal landing areas, then tricky lines to the greens. Just outstanding long hole layouts.

+ The park is very peaceful, wooded, aesthetically nice. This is what disc golf is all about.

+ Excellent navigation with next tee signs, flags marking hidden baskets, etc.

+ Good baskets.

+ The tees were the proper size and no issues with cracks in the concrete, uneven ground, slick spots, etc.

+ Despite being a very wooded, technical course, there are a few open holes. Obviously, being a big arm is extremely helpful on this course, but even noodle arms like me will love it and have the opportunity to shoot close to par IF you're able to throw accurately.

+ Despite the challenge this course throws at you, I thought it was very fair. The only hole that I thought was over the top was the 900+ foot par 5. *However*, the close tee on that one is about 400 feet closer, making it a par 4.
Cons:
- I can't say I have any cons, to be honest with you. This is what disc golf courses aspire to. I'm not giving it a 5.0 because I don't think it was as memorable as the 5.0 course or a few of the other 4.5 courses I've played, but it truly is an outstanding course and I don't think I would change anything about it.
Other Thoughts: Make plans to bag this course. You won't be disappointed.

Date: 3/22/2017 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for your review. I believe that you must have played shorts. Next time in Charlotte play the full course for max enjoyment. There are 3 par 5s on that layout!

Beastly, but addicting

5+    10/10/2012   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This is another one of Charlotte's best courses. This course is an intimidating monster. It requires a lot of powerful yet elegant throws that really test the precision of your game. The course is carved out of the woods and getting off the fairway can be dangerous, but I'll be damned if this course isn't one of the better courses I've played. It's an extremely well balanced course that really requires you to focus and buckle down on your shots. Good drives allow for conservative approach shots, but bad drives require incredible recovery shots. Take your time, be patient, and definitely don't let the discs air out.
Cons: Bring a towel and some really grippy shoes. If it's rained recently, the course can get sticky and the tee pads can get slippery. Beginner players will find this course to be extremely difficult, but perseverance is key.

A beast of a course.

5+    10/24/2015   10/24/2015
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: I've waited quite some time to review this course, playing it many times before finally writing a review. Most times I've left this course frustrated, and didn't want that to reflect in my review, but as my skill has improved, and my appreciation for this course has grown, I"m finally getting around to reviewing it after a successful, rewarding (but tough and frustrating..such is Nevin) round.

This course has it all. Long and winding Par 4's and a 5. Tough narrow winding holes, open long bomb shots, a double Mando hole, and the shorter painfully narrow wooded holes that reward an accurate drive. Several holes have multiple routes to the pin, which give the thrower a chance to choose between high risk/reward or the safer alternative.
Even a few fast greens that can ruin a nice approach with a quickness. This course will test every shot in your arsenal, and can really highlight any weaknesses.

The beginning of the course (from the shorts) starts out "easy" and is a nice way to warm up for what comes with the rest of the course, allowing you to hopefully get a few strokes down on the impending difficulty of the remaining holes. Although the rest of the course is often a challenge, it is absolutely fair, and not overly impossible. Accurate, well thought out shots should yield a par with no problem.

Although the course is longer than most courses, the variety in distances and pars is a refreshing change from the common all par 3 courses.

The signage is in great condition thanks to the recent Masters tournament. Color printed signs show the hole number, par, distance and layout. A nice touch, greatly enchancing the overall rating of the course for me. Once you've reached the basket, most holes have adequate "next" signs leading the way to the next tee pad. Navigation, for the most part, is a breeze!

Trash cans, or bags at most tees

Concrete tee pads are all a uniform and adequate length, and all in decent shape. No cracked pads, or too short lengths. No worrying about your run up.

The practice basket is nice! In the shade with a variety of different "in the circle" shots to warm up with. Around trees, some elevation, and again, in the shade. A perfect place to wait for the rest of your group to show up.
Cons: It's hard to find many obvious major cons for this course.

The biggest thing keeping this course from being higher than a 4* to me is the creature comforts or amenities here. Although there are benches and trash options at most holes, the benches are often a bit rough around the edges, or have graffitti, and the trash cans lack some visual appeal. The bags hanging from trees at the tee pad, although convenient for trash, aren't a flattering option.

The new hole 16 layout can be confusing. There are TWO short 16's. One plays to the same basket as the long pad and is a proper hole, on the same level of the rest of the course. The other short 16 is it's own separate fairway and basket, and is an easy chip shot dogleg left, not of the same caliber as the rest of the course.
Confusing, but I do have to give credit. Both options have the beautiful, color Tee signs, accurately depicting the hole...

There's plenty of parking, but it can get crowded quickly as the parking lot is close to the ball fields. On weekends, there are often games going on in the fields, and plenty of people filling up the parking lot.

The bathrooms are a bit far from the course, except hole 12,13 (I believe)
Other Thoughts: Bring your A game, every shot in your repertoire, and your walking shoes! This course can chew you up and spit you out if you're not careful. But when played well, it is one of the most rewarding and challenging disc golf courses I've every played. You need short accuracy, long accuracy and everything in between.

Although a fantastic, championship caliber course, I would not recommend it for newer inexperienced players, or introducing someone to the game, as it can be discouraging instead of inspiring.

A true gem of the Charlotte DG scene. Championship quality. Highly highly recommended advanced level course and oh so close to 5*

great course to play

2-4    8/30/2015   8/30/2015
Review By: shinbone11
Pros: this course will test your mental game. You better bring your A game to this course. Great lines that work great with choice of your disc( just find that disc that works with the lines) You have a couple holes that you get to open your arm up as well as Hyzer shots, Anhyzer shots. there are a lot of birdies out there on this course just make sure that your shots are on place and on a good line and you are rewarded well. get off your line or pick the wrong disc, than fight for par really enjoyed this course not only would I play it again, but would recommended it to friends
Cons: Not for a first time player, get some experience before heading to this course but this course will make you a better Disc Golfer the more you play it.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing this course disc used most was my Buzzz as it was a lot of placement shots for me. as I said before I could see me out on this course once or more a week,It could only build up your game as a disc golfer.

The King of Charlotte

5+    7/26/2015   7/29/2015
Review By: LastPageDG
Pros: This is my absolute favorite Charlotte area course. Nevin will bring out your best and worst qualities of your game. You get somewhat buttered up on holes 1 through 3 and then the survival game starts on holes 4 through 9. Holes 4 and 5 are designed for players who can bomb with accuracy or place a mid or fairway driver in the middle of the fairway. Pretty much the whole front 9 focuses on accuracy and smart play. Hole 7 is one of the most intimidating par 3's you'll encounter with a TIGHT gap off the box and a super death drop directly behind the basket.

The back starts with a decent birdie opportunity and on holes 11 and 12 you get to stretch the arm out with a few big pulls. 12 is an absolute beauty with a tee shot that takes you from a wide open bomb to a left turn in the woods. Hole 14 also gives you a chance to rip one but you'll be throwing through a double MANDO. Finishing out 15 though 18 gives you birdie and a couple of eagle chances as well.

You have a nice putting green to warm up on and parking is plentiful. There's no bathroom by the practice green but this is a huge complex and there are bathrooms throughout the park.

Nice sized concrete pads provide plenty of room to tee off and they are all in decent shape.

One more added bonus is the courses proximity to other amazing courses in the area such as RL Smith, Hornets Nest, Sugaw, Eastway and it's not too far from Renny.
Cons: Very few I noticed. The drop zone pad on hole 14 is pretty rough as far as pivoting on your throw and it's a little short.

The signage is a bit old and a little deceiving on some holes but it's not terrible.

Crime CAN be an issue although I've personally never had an incident, but hey, that can by anywhere you go.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is a beauty and you get some good scenery on holes 13 through 15 as you pass by. There are plenty of food options close by with it being close to I85 it makes it an awesome course to plan for any Charlotte trip.

Date: 7/30/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review! Just noting that you seem to be commenting on the short layout since 16 is like one of the hardest holes and 1 long is difficult as well. Either way, thanks again.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6