College Corner, OH
Disctractions DGC Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #1 (Taken 11/2012)
Hole #1B Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Glad to be DISCtracted!!!

1    6/29/2017   6/30/2017

Directions: 4.5
Parking / Access: 5
Other Thoughts: Shade: 5
Facilities: 5

Played while on vacation had this course in wishlist for three years. Finally had the chance to throw it and of course injured my back in a tourney 5 days before getting to throw here. Wonderful course enjoyed the experience. Will return one day to experience it on a healthy note.

Better Every Year

5+    6/13/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: FlintAC
Pros: -Recently updated and clearly labeled navigation/signage
-More and more brush/trees being cleared out each year makes the course more playable but still difficult
-Challenging shots due to tight lines and narrow windows carved out between tree-lines.
-Mature trees and elevation changes
-Mowed fairways.
-A and B Tees
-More trash cans and less trash on the ground
-Baskets clearly marked with red paint.
-Shaded course keeps it on the cooler side all day long.
Cons: -Some Tee signs don't have yardage and a bit shoddy.
-Course is a constant work in progress, and its always changing gives it an inconsistent feel.
-There are bout 6-12 too many trees on most holes that, if removed, would transform it into a more reasonable (but still quite challenging) disc golf course.
-BRING BUG SPRAY
Other Thoughts: Thanks to all the hard work being done by those managing the course. I know you do it for no pay on your own time, so I truly appreciate the improvement of the course over the past few years.

Disappointment

1    5/20/2017   5/29/2017
Review By: Bushman71
Pros: Holes first couple holes
Cons: Holes 6-18
Signage
Other Thoughts: On the first hole my mouth was watering, down hill, tight lines and good length. I really liked the course on the first 5 holes but starting on hole 6 it was putter hole after putter hole. (Except for hole 18) the course felt rushed and very little thought in to hole design. Property has potential but maybe a more expiereienced course designer could bring out that potential. I've seen a lot of changes were made to the course so I do give props to the guys doing the work, its not easy. However if you do it right the first time you will spend less time doing it and more time playing it.

Much Better Lately

2-4    10/30/2016   10/30/2016
Review By: RBRONN01
Pros: There has been a lot of work done to this course this year. I had really thought it was a joke then. Following the first 6-7 tees, it looked like someone hastily finished the rest of the course and moved on to better things. The signage was poor, fairways were tight or nonexistent with some really nasty rough, and it was impossible to navigate the course without a map.
Now, the course looks so much better. The fairways are clear of much of the thorns, honeysuckle, and other weedy brush that made this course nearly unplayable. The additional baskets are awesome, and every hole as multiple tee pads so that two rounds feel like two different courses. Hank has done a real nice job!
Cons: Some of the baskets have absolutely no line from the pad. While I'm sure this is part of the design to make it difficult, some of the shots you are basically throwing a disc into a wall of trees hoping to get lucky enough not to hit one until it has traveled 150'.

course updated

5+    9/27/2016   9/28/2016
Review By: Tyguy
Pros: The whole course has been cleared of honeysuckle/weeds so any mis throws are much easier to find and new lines to take that wrent possible before. Baskets have been painted orange so they are much easier to find from the tee. This course has been completely turned around since I last played it in May. #5 bastket moved to a rhbh hyzer. I talked to one of the designers heading the clean up and he informed me that they are adding alternate pin placements soon. If you didn't enjoy the course in the past because of the overgrowth, take a look at it now, you will be surprised.

5+    11/28/2015   11/28/2015
Review By: bangtailsaints
Pros: Beautiful, challenging course. Tons of big beautiful trees. Lots of high risk/reward shots. This course will make you a better golfer by making you concentrate on hitting tight lines instead of just gripping and ripping it. Two tee pads and 2 pin locations for each hole. The course designer Hank (sweetee's disc golf) has poured his heart and soul into this course and it shows. Well worth the drive from wherever your coming from. Camping and the resort to stay in while there. Course maps available in the lodge.
Cons: The only con is that there aren't more courses like this one!
Other Thoughts: One of my favoites. I'd put it up there with mt.airy and idlewild!

A little slice of the Northwest, here in the Midwest

1    5/23/2015   6/2/2015
Review By: numbernine
Pros: If at the end end of the day, this course is anything, it is definitely hard. It's a technical, shot shaping master work , set on a resort, in the middle of the woods by a beautiful lake. Truly, I can't think of a better place to be playing disc golf. That's the summary. Now on to the specifics.

Targets - The baskets are new and catch wonderfully. no vandalism or rust happening on any of the beautifully placed targets yet.

Tee pads - there are two tee pads on most holes. There might even be two pads on every hole, but we only played from the A pads. All of the pads we played from were level, well thought out concrete launching areas for our disc golf pleasure.

Shots - From sweeping anhyzers, to giant, downhill hyzer shots, to tunnel bombs that require pinpoint accuracy, this course almost has it all. I love the idea that I can't just take a small bag to a course. You need everything you own for this place.

Signs - There are signs there, but not the best ones I have ever seen. However, there are signs that explain each shot and show you where the basket is relative to the hole. They could be better, but I am listing it as a pro, as they are there. There are also signs on every hole that show you where the next tee is. I see that other people say that navigation is tough on this course, and I don't find that to be the case. Snag a map at the cabin, and then follow the "next tee" signs around"

The x factors - Lots of elevation changes on the front nine, and some of the back. Maybe some of the most beautiful shots that I have ever seen. Old growth pine trees that stand as sentinels on many baskets.
It sits on a resort property and it's still free to play!
Cons: Finding the start of the course was harder than it should have been. Find the the little group of trees with basket 19 under it, and head into the woods from there. There needs to be a sign or announcement board or something there to show you where to go.

The signs need a lot of work. In some cases, the signs are hand drawn and don't really give a ton of information.

The course is rough in some places. I am assuming that the resort maintains a lot of the work. There were places on the back, in the woods, away from the walking trails where it looked like no one had been yet this year.

The course is in the middle of nowhere. It's interesting that this would be a con, but we thought about this as we were in the Cincy area playing; This course is a road trip for almost everyone that wants to play it. And because of that, I wonder if there are almost no locals that care for this course.

Other Thoughts: This place is supposed to be 27 holes in the near future. I am super curious to see it get there. Because while this course is an hour and a half from where I live, I would totally drive there to play a lot.
to be super honest, I find this to be one of the better courses that I have played in Ohio. I don't hear it hyped up enough, but I really did love my experience here.
If you need a technical challenge, go here and play!

Hueston, we don't have a problem

1    2/7/2015   2/8/2015
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Beautiful scenery
2) Elevation changes on front 9
3) Concrete tees
4) Ace runs
5) Foot bridges
Cons: 1) Signage in certain areas
2) Navigation in certain areas
3) Repetitive at times from B tees
Other Thoughts: Scenery: 4/5
Difficulty v Fun factor (5/5 is best mix): 3.25/5
Tees: 3.5/5
Signage: 2.5/5
Navigation: 3/5

Tip: As soon as you see the lodge, turn right at the first opportunity into the parking lot and stay to the far right of the lot. The practice basket is underneath some pine trees. You'll see where to go from there.

I played the B tees, which are the shorter tees, so my review is based upon the B tees only. When I go back, I will play the A tees and update my review accordingly.

The whole course plays in dense, mature forest. The first 7 holes are on incredible property. There are fairly significant elevation changes here. Hole 1 is probably one of my favorites. It plays downhill and you get a nice view of the lake in the background.

After hole 7, you cross the road and continue with hole 8 on the other side. The whole rest of the course is on this other side. The property isn't quite as impressive here...not as many elevation changes, and it plays away from the lake and the lodge. That said, it's still peaceful and gorgeous back in there.

The concrete tees are adequate, although I found myself at times wishing they were a little longer, but that's probably because I'm 6' 5". They should be just fine for a normal sized individual.

The tee signs started out being very uniform and consistent, with giant full color metal on poles with maps, tee numbers and distances, but started to degrade as I got further into the course. After I crossed the road, some tee signs consisted of a permanent marker on a wooden pole. Some signs had no distance. One thing that is consistent are the "Next Tee" signs that lead you to the next tee for both the A and the B tee. This was very helpful for navigation. That said, I still recommend bringing a course map because I noticed myself whirling around just looking for the Next Tee sign on occasion. As it turns out, bringing a course map was also helpful because on the map is a notice that "Holes 23-27 serve as holes 14-18 until phase 2 of the course is completed." I wouldn't have known that little fact and would've been very confused had I not had that map. They have handwritten the proper tee number next to the printed number on several of the signs, but it would've been confusing as hell without the map.

The course has a lot of ace runs for a densely wooded course. In tandem with this statement is the fact that many of the targets are straight ahead from the tee, which made the course feel repetitive at times. To its credit, even though the targets were straight ahead a lot of the time, you have to go around obstacles to get there, which create the illusion of a dog leg. There's still plenty of challenge for a beginner/intermediate player from these tees, which is the target audience for these tees. I can't wait to go back and play the A tees though, because it appears from the map that there are more turns from those tees.

I found myself wishing that they had been able to incorporate a couple of water holes. Holes 2 and 3 have their tees down by the water. I wish that at least one of those were reversed, with the target by the water. It's a shame that there's a giant lake right there, but it's not even a factor at all. Even so, it's still fun to play the way it is.

I gave the course an average of 3.25/5 over all the areas. I'll make it 3.5 just because I liked the setting so much and in anticipation of playing the A tees next time.

Yeah Buddy!

1    6/22/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: RlemontW
Pros: I loved the layout and the fact that they did not remove many trees. Completely in the shade, great on a hot summer day. With a little tender care this can be an AWESOME place to play.
Cons: A little damp but expected after the rain we had and that the course is completely in the shade. After the 7th hole I think it was the postings for each hole was missing. The post was there so someone drew the path on the post.
Other Thoughts: Ran into the guy that is taking care of the course. Nice guy very talkative. Seems passionate about making the course better. Says in a couple of months it will be more to his liking but still a ways to go. He wants to cut more but is not allowed.

Troll's Review

5+    8/30/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: Around Miami U. where they uninstalled a course recently..
18 holes
wooded and shaded
right in the park, by the lodge
it has it challenges, but nothing "disc fearing"
Neutral course, wont favor right of left handed players.
Cons: No mix up in the lay out, at all... just walking in the woods. No grass anything...
Other Thoughts: If you've ever played with Hank, you should not be surprised by this 18 hole super wooded course he designed. I first met him in 1991 at Winton woods. Super beast, we watched him drive old scorpions across the baseball fields. He had great control too, and then, of course, he doesn't miss a putt

< Prev 1 2 3