Galena, OH
The Player's DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #10 (Taken 9/2011)

LOTS of Fun!

1    6/22/2016   7/5/2016
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Variety. It is, after all, the spice of life, and The Player's has it. Long holes where you can let it rip, short holes where you'd better hit your line -- heck, even the in between holes are a lot of fun. Variety includes shot selection, too - and I used every disc in my bag and pretty much every shot I have (or think I have).

Challenging: The variety would be nothing if the course was a yawner. It didn't kill me (I shot +2 first time playing it, so I was kinda happy), but it DID punish wayward shots. Even on the longer holes, you'd best hit that line, or you're going to be in a bit of trouble.

Scenic: This is an absolutely beautiful setting for disc golf. #7 especially is worth a picture or two (BEFORE you throw that disc into the water, not after lol).
Cons: Navigation was kinda hard in spots, but that's probably the newb in me. I usually like to follow people when I play a new course, but the locals were courteous and let me play through, so I couldn't follow them to see where the next tee was. Not usually a problem, since there are markings on the baskets to point you in the right direction, but I could have used a little more help heading to 8's tee pad.

Other Thoughts: I don't like to mention tight fairways as a con, since I don't really view them that way, but I will warn you here -- the back nine is TIGHT. There are lines there, but they are narrow, and if you miss them you're losing a stroke or two to par. I left plenty of strokes behind the day I played (and a couple of discs, too!), just because I missed my line by even a TINY bit. While there are some long holes here, throwing for power isn't going to give you a good score if you're not accurate. Throw it where you want it to go, and you'll be fine.

1    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: philio37
Pros: Scenic
Good Variety (Distance, Location)
Clearly Labled Tee and Pin Locations
"Next Tee -->" signs
Cons: Very dangerous water hazards (not for beginners or the un-"clutch")
Too many small trees and obstacles to hit
Other Thoughts: Very enjoyable, but it can easily discourage

Great Ohio Course

1    8/8/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This was a great course. There was a great variety of holes in length, complexity, and variation of dogleg right and left. The course flowed pretty easily too. The pin of one hole is close to the teepad of the next one, and if they aren't obvious there are signs. This is a huge positive.

The fairways might be considered slim by some, but I really liked the challenge. The growth on sides of the fairways weren't overcrowded or thick with weeds of shrubs, so if you miss the fairways you should be able to find the disc pretty easily.

I also really enjoyed the course layout at the park. Others mentioned this, but it is really great to have the course designed in a figure eight pattern. Also, it is great to have open plains, deeper woods, and water coming into play all on the same course. You'll have both skill shots and ones you can grip and rip.

Finally, the environment was great. It was a pretty crowded park, but it never hindered my play on the course. Good to see a lot of people out on the lake on Saturday afternoon. Also, since the water comes into play it is nice to play alongside.
Cons: There are a few cons here that kept this from a 4.5 rating.

- No benches and trash cans along the course with and consistency.
- Bathroom facilities are not well maintained and the one at the beginning of the course could literally be the grossest bathroom I have ever used.
- No maps or scorecards available. Each hole has a map, but there was no big map at Hole 1 showing the course layout.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a nice course. Good layout, nice scenery, concrete teepads, professional baskets, and no fee to play.

Work on your accuracy first....

5+    7/27/2010   7/28/2010
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: Great mix of shots; 18 concrete pads (from the longer selection); good use of water holes (2 over water, although water is potentially in play on 6 holes); mostly wooded, so nice shade in summer months; tight fairways but they offer a chance; pretty easy to navigate; not a long round time-wise; recently mowed and well-maintained; one of the courses in the 2010 PDGA Am Worlds; plays well for locals, as to really get this course you have to play it multiple times; never seen a crowd; hole 6 turns into a beautiful hole as you approach the pin...in fact, there is a fair amount of nice scenary with sailboats and jetskis.
Cons: If you are a little bit off, you will hit a lot of trees (but again, even though some holes are very difficult, there is a fairway); in the wet season, there is a bit of a flooding issue (not enough to make it unplayable, but count on getting muddy. I won't play it at all next spring); can be frustrating playing in the woods so close to water, as an unlucky strike on a tree can send you into the reservoir; lack of trash cans, benches, water, and updated signs.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my house, so therefore the course I play the most. As an "experienced" Alum Creek player, take this advice: throw as far as you can WHILE STAYING ON THE FAIRWAY, and be aggressive on the water holes! Ive seen more lost discs from timid throws than anything else. As far as a road trip, this is not that course, but it is a fun addition to the growing central-Ohio scene. Considering this course went into the ground last November, it is in excellent shape. And for my money, it is the most difficult "Columbus" course (maintained by MOODGolf, not CFDGC).