Oak Grove, KY
War Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: tblass1 Hole #3 (Taken 4/2019)

Solid

5+    11/22/2012   11/27/2012
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: War Memorial park is a really nice park altogether. The teeboxes with every war America has been involved in is pretty cool. The course requires most of the shots, I threw hyzers, anhyzers, a roller, and forehands while I was playing. There aren't "a lot" of trees, but they're well placed and make for some tough drives. The mando on #5 is difficult and I think helps out with the hole. I'm usually not a fan of mandos but these weren't bad and i actually enjoyed them. They had good tee signs, pads, and the baskets were in good shape.
Cons: Not a very good mix up of holes. I think there should be a few open holes on a course and this one only had one. Some of the holes got repetitive and it seems like you're playing hole 1 a few times. Also a problem with finding the next tee. The toughest one is from 3 to 4. If you finish 4 just walk straight and a little right and you'll find the teepad.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a pretty good course. With a few next tee signs I would have given this a 3.5. Other than that a good job was done with the property and what was had to work this. I gave this the same rating as North Drive, just 20 minutes away from it, but it's really better. North Drive is like a 2.8 and this is more like a 3.2. I wish I could give it a 3.5 but I just can't.

solid course

5+    12/10/2011   9/3/2012
Review By: Andrew_Wilson
Pros: This is a nice well kept and clean course. It uses everything that the area has to offer making you throw accurate shots because of the trees. Concrete tee pads and tee signs are also great
Cons: The course just doesn't have that much challenge other than the tight shots on some of the holes it just has a bunch of short to Med length holes nothing good and long and it doesn't force you to use a bunch of shots you could stick with just backhanding the whole game if wanted
Other Thoughts: Even though it doesn't challenge it still is a great course very clean and that's a great thing. This is a great beginners course

At War with the Wind

2-4    2/22/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great Shot Design. Almost all of the holes used trees perfectly in order to force particular types of shots. Some of the holes had multiple options, but it was clear that certain shots were desired by the designer. Turnover... flick... hyzer... s-turn... etc.
- You have to Throw Shots. For an open course with reachable pins, you really have to throw shot to get birds. Nothing is freely given.
- Ends Strong. I value courses that finish on a strong hole, rather than a "let's just get back to the car" hole. Hole 18 was fantastic: 350 peninsula hole surrounded by OB with a fair gap and aesthetically pleasing look. Way to go!
- Close to the Border. I was at a conference in Nasheville and had a half day break. Because this course was so close to the Tennessee border, I was able to bag a new state and play a decently fun course. If the course had been further north, I might not have been tempted to make the trip. (State #18 for me).
Cons:
- I don't really know that there were any cons. The course had decent tee-pads, great tee-signs, great baskets, decent flow, a real nice mix of shot requirements, etc... The only real con would be that it isn't really "championship" level - but, not all course need to be.
- Overall. I played War Memorial twice. It wasn't that I had so much fun that I had to play it again... Actually, quite the opposite. I was kinda ho-hum about it. But I had time to kill, so I went for a second loop. Upon playing the course a second time, I began to see the little intricacies that actually make the course pretty decent. Even though the course is wide-open, the holes require you to throw good shots to get birdies. Plus, the wind will test you.
- My Score: the first round I shot a miserable -2. The second round I shot a -10 with a bogey and missed birdie putt.

Great Course!

2-4    12/25/2011   12/25/2011
Review By: hoyle7780
Pros: Located close to interstate
Very well maintained
Nice Tee Signs
Concrete Tee's
Nice flow
Not very crowded
Good parking
Nice area

Played this course a few times while in town & was very impressed, My 10 yr old son & I had a blast. Short enough a newer player won't get frustrated, challenging anough a aqdvanced player will not get bored.
Course also has street level lights placed throughout the course allowing for night play (SWEET!)
Cons: Some holes can be a little confusing the first time around on wich basket to throw @ but nothing a semi-intelligent person couldnt figure out.
Some holes might interfere with others that are in play if the course is a little crowded.
Other Thoughts: Great course. Reccomend stopping & checking this one out.

Enjoyable Round

1    2/23/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Very well marked and there is a map on this web site.

Tee pads for every hole.

Very nice well kept wooded area.

Good use of the trees.
Cons: A Mando is not a good course design.

The course may be a little short for the good players.

Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course and will play it again next time I am in the area.

My favorite hole was #2, yes I got the birdie with a very nice roller that landed under the basket.

Make sure you read the map going from #3 to #4, that was the only hole I even needed a map to find the tee box.

Great for a quick game after work

5+    1/2/2011   1/17/2011
Review By: Corbie
Pros: Easy access from Highway and Town; Great course for a laid back thrower. Not very crowded. Has trees, but no underbrush. Very hard to lose a disk on most holes. There is plenty of parking. The way the course is laid out is very clear, with tee signs at every tee. The way the course was designed around the trees was put to good use.
Cons: No obsticals other then trees. The restrooms are a long way from the golf course, and they are closed in the winter time. There is a possibility of losing a disk on hole 4 through a drain cover.
Other Thoughts: Not a very tecnical course and like I said it is pretty laid back and well taken care of. The walking path around the out side edge is lite, so you are able to finish up your game even after the sun goes down.

Quaint but Local

1    9/20/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: James4Chelsi
Pros: Accessible: Right next to Fort Campbell, KY. 3 minutes from Gate 7.
-Great beginner course: Wooded but clear of underbrush, minimal obstructions but enough to start on/practice.
-Nearby mini playground for loved ones to pull kids away from course.
-LARGE PARKING: No problems in parking away from anyone, and still being able to see your car at all times.
Anyone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of a town or city come here - it's like a small grove of tress and some baskets to throw at...
Cons: Tight Squeeze: 18 holes in what should be 9. The holes are basically toe to heel, where one ends, the other starts.
Little challenge by way of obstacles.
-Not sure of local players maturity... most were very casual and professional, 1 group of people were obnoxious teens. I'll update after next visit to gauge atmosphere again.
Other Thoughts: Overall, great for someone like me. Very first course for me, sparse population, no parking problems. And there ARE bathrooms no more than 150m away. Wish the local town or Army base advertised about this place or held more public events to raise awareness of the sport!

boring course

1    9/1/2010   9/19/2010
Review By: Jenn
Pros: It's disc golf, an opportunity to throw at the baskets.
Cons: couldnt hit a tree if you tried, all baskets are wide open, and all flat land. You spend half the time trying to figure out which basket to throw at.
Other Thoughts: very lame. good practice for throwing because there are no obstacles.

Thanks for a great afternoon

1    4/18/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: Badbub
Pros: Grounds are in excelent condition. The weather was nice today with a slight NE breeze which held my disc up nicely on the longer uphill shots. Very nice layout and distances were just right for me to get plenty of birdies.
Cons: Lots of traffic from non disc golfers unknowingly getting in harms way. My disc was picked up by several people and thrown back to me. One person even wanted me to throw my disc so they could catch it. All in fun. I let them know they wouldn't want to try catching this disc.
Other Thoughts: All said, it was a fine day.

Relaxing and fun

2-4    2/20/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: peabody
Pros: Nice pads and new baskets in a very clean park with no strenous walking means if you come and play this one you will have fun.
Some holes are easy but there are some that have lots of trees smack in the way and you have to navigate your way around them. A couple of mando shots and some out of bounds paths make easy holes not so easy.
Cons: No restrooms. Same look on most holes. No elevation changes and people are walking the walk paths. There is a grate on one of the holes where your disc could go into if it hit just right.
Some of the fairways are too close to each other.
Other Thoughts: HB did a good job here putting 18 holes where there is only room for 9 but this park will help spread the disc golf experience to young and old.
It's only an hour from Cedar Hill and 7 Oaks in Nashville so when the locals need to spread out a little after practicing here they have good courses nearby to choose from.