Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #18 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #18 Approach

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

1    10/6/2017   10/9/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: There seems to be a pretty wide range of opinions on the Angry Beaver, with many Trusted Reviewers saying it's one of the best, while a couple of others "not so much." I fall into the "not so much" group. Reposado wrote the review that most closely aligns with my rating, 2.5, and experience on the course. Give him a read.

+ It's one of if not THE most challenging course I've ever played. I say that as a con in addition to a pro. It's a con in that I really didn't enjoy it at all. It's a pro in that I believe the challenge of the course is the most important piece of the rating. In the Angry Beaver's case, it's a 10 out of 10 on the challenge, 1 out of 10 on the fun, and the rating washes out in the middle.

+ I've played the Eager Beaver many times and think it's highly enjoyable, especially when playing with my sons or newbies to disc golf. It might actually be the perfect course for that, in fact. Hole 1 at the Angry Beaver starts out right next to its Eager brother and is very short and downhill. Hole 2, likewise, is straightforward enough and short. The basket is on a ridge right in front of the pond. These two holes were fun, but that's basically where the fun ended for me!

+ Good baskets and tees.
Cons: The Angry Beaver was way too angry for my liking:

- As I mentioned in the pro's, holes 1 and 2 were fine. But on hole 3, the Anger starts. It's a blind shot over or through an absolute jungle of trees and underbrush. It's a short hole and a spike hyzer or tomahawk probably gets the job done, but as a first-timer on the course, I didn't want to blindly throw my disc that way towards the road! Oh yeah, the basket is right by the road entering the disc golf section of the park. To me, this hole is a big safety hazard, especially for people who haven't played the hole. You can't see the basket, you can't see where your disc lands, you can't see the road, you can't see oncoming traffic, and there's a jungle of mess you have to walk through. Why?!?!

- I mention the underbrush on hole 3, but it's bad in spots on other holes too. We somehow managed not to lose any discs there, but it was a miracle.

- Maybe the course has seen better days, but it's in need of some TLC now. There were several missing tee signs. Navigation was impossible in the middle of the course. And it appeared that some tee signs were no longer accurate. (Renumbered?) We somehow got off track and skipped a few holes just because of the lack of signage.

- I don't want to just recap Reposado's review, but I agree with it word for word on the length of the course, the 90 degree turns, and the layup after layup nature of the course. All of these aspects of a course can be good, but for hole after hole after hole it's just brutal.

- Upkeep and aesthetics were not good. I mentioned the underbrush. There was also a lot of trash. The course would also be a lot more fun, in my opinion, if a few more trees were taken out.
Other Thoughts: I know I'm going to get some "Not Helpful" votes on this review because it's pretty negative and also out-of-step with most of the other ratings. To detractors, I'll just say that it was my first and only time playing the course, no one else was on the course when I played (which is sort of a telling sign that maybe not many people like it), and I had no direction when the navigation became impossible. I would hazard a guess that if I gave the Angry Beaver another shot, I might appreciate the challenge more and actually enjoy the round (maybe). But not living in Charlotte, with so many other phenomenal courses in the area, the chances of me playing here again are next to nil. (Don't @ me!)

To me, reviews are important because they help you make wise decisions on where to play when other tracks are available. Reviews help you determine your opportunity cost for playing a course. I'm an intermediate player and not living in Charlotte. If you're an advanced player and do live in Charlotte, I imagine the Angry Beaver is an OK option for you. If you're a beginner or an intermediate player...or coming in from out of town with limited time to play the fantastic tracks in Charlotte...I can't imagine choosing to play the Angry Beaver instead of one of the many other courses here, including the far less challenging, far more fun, newbie-friendly Eager Beaver.

Home Course

5+    5/22/2017   5/23/2017
Review By: adamwn9
This review was updated on 10/2/2017
Pros: -Starts off with a few birdie-able holes - if I can't birdie one of the first 4, I'm probably not gonna be anywhere near par
-As people have mentioned before, risk vs reward is definitely in play here - I am playing for par on nearly every hole, I think the best I've ever done is 5 over
-Pads and baskets are both in fine shape - pads are cement, so they can get slippery if it has rained recently though
-Great mix of long and short holes - short ones aren't easy either, they're either tight/wooded or have plenty of obstacles
-Plenty of obstacles that make it fun - trees everywhere, pond behind 2, road OB on 3, creek that comes into play on a few, swamp thing on 5 - none are impossible to avoid, but I usually find or get close to one per round
-Pretty wooded after 3, which makes it a bit cooler on hot days
-18 is a pretty huge hole to end on, which I like
-I noticed yesterday that there are a few brand new looking benches that have been set up very recently
-I don't think the navigation is that confusing - you do have to cross the road after 1 and 3 but that's about it
Cons: -Terrible signs - a few holes have nice signs just like Eager, but most have zero information on the pad. Some have yardage written in permanent marker that looks bad.
-Trash - there are so many trashcans around, yet there are still beer and water bottles everywhere - I usually end up picking up something every round

Other Thoughts: I love this course. I've played it at least 50 times in the last 3 years and I haven't gotten bored of it. It is never too crowded, but there are always people there. It definitely needs some maintenance, which has happened recently (2 and 8 look great now). It also need signage in a bad way, if it had proper signs I would give it a 4. I think it's just as good, if not better, as RL and Hornet's Nest, but both of those courses have great signs.

Risk/Reward in its purest form

5+    8/10/2012   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This course is a well laid out course that allows you to disconnect from all distractions and really focus on your game. The course will play par if you play fairly conservatively and have good control of your throws, but you will not find birdies easy to come by if you don't get more aggressive. You run the risk of playing disc plinko when you get into the woods, but without the risk you wont find any birds.
Cons: The course is tough and it can be easy to lose a disc when playing. Stay focused and objectively approach every hole. You may need to get muddy if you get off the beaten path, the creek comes into play quite a bit.

NEW Map Uploaded

1    7/6/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: DavidNC
Pros: Very fair course with high risk/reward factor. This course is not like Nevin in that if you play this one conservatively, there will not be many birdie opportunities; or, bogeys for that matter. Go for it and you run the risk of either pinballing into some tough woods or splashing into the creek that is present on many holes. Hole 8 comes to mind right away with the basket on a slope leading into the creek. Hole 11 is another where the creek guards the basket, requiring an almost perfect approach shot. The woods here are much tougher to play out of than the Eager side; and, the creek, though dry in many spots right now (just because we have not had much rain lately), is deep and nasty. Hole 2, well . . . I know about the pond behind the basket since I have lost many a disk playing the Eager side. As other's have mentioned, that hungry pond is only about 20 feet or so behind the basket, with a rather steep bank into the pond. Chances are, if you overshoot the basket, I hope your disk floats or scuba gear will be needed. And the growth in front of the green does not lend itself to a very large landing zone. All said about the Angry Beaver, if you "go for it" and place your shots well, there are many chances at birdies here.

Because most of this course has a nice tree canopy, it can be enjoyed a bit more on those real hot summer days.
Cons: Not really a negative; but, on hole 3 the foliage seems to have choked off both the left and right preferred flight paths. It appears that the best way to approach this one is to just go over the trees (some of which are quite tall). Miss the tee shot and the disc will end up in some very tall brush.

The biggest negative on this course is exactly what almost every other reviewer has mentioned in the last few years; and, that is navigation. The course has undergone many changes since its inception and the documentation and signage has not kept up with those changes. Most of the front nine pretty much flows as it always has, until one gets to hole 8, and then the adventure begins. I personally took the risk of playing the course on my own (it was 6:30 AM when I started) and even with all of the notes other players have placed on various websites, had a few problems with the back nine, primarily with holes 13-15. There were enough notes about the new "S" hole 8, could see the new 9 & 12 baskets from the tees, and another reviewer updated the signs for 10-13, which helped immensely.

I have taken the liberty of creating an updated course map and posting it to this site (hopefully the map will be approved since the maps posted there now are very outdated and will get you lost in a hurry). As I played this course for the first time, it also seemed in some ways, the course is becoming neglected. Vandals have taken their toll on some of the signage; and, we could all do a better job of cleaning up the trash. Perhaps this is just me; but the Eager side has had new signage for a few months. It could be a financial thing and new signs are coming; I can only hope this is the case and CDGC is not abandoning it. We already lost Hornet's Nest, don't want to lose another.
Other Thoughts: The front nine has better chances of losing a disc in deep brush. If you place a disc in it, please be midful of snakes and ticks as you look for it. The back nine, with the exception of the 18th, is pretty much all wooded.

I am going to go out on a limb during this review. I was once critical of the CDGC on a review and got roasted over the coals for it; mainly because I did not word things well, and because everyone's sensitivity meter seems to run way too high nowadays. We here in Charlotte have hosted the World Championships and have many players of all abilities taking road trips to our area just to play our wonderful courses. Elon provides the opportunity for someone to play 54 radically different holes in one location. If we are to be sensitive, this is an area where we should all direct our energies. If CDGC is going to link to DGCR, it must be mindful of keeping the documentation up to date, lets all do a better job of picking up after ourselves, and keep our courses the best around. It is always the little things we take for granted. Most of our courses are free to play. I just came off of a road trip where most of the courses I played required a fee to play (at least the nicer ones did - maybe the fee is one of the reasons the courses are nicer; not sure).

5+    9/8/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: GilStroder
Pros: Great course that offers a great deal of challenge and requires a shot from your whole bag. Love this course and how deep in the woods it is. You can really disconnect and play some solid disc golf. However you must be precise or you can be getting bogeys every hole pretty easily.
Cons: Course upkeep. I have been going every week recently to clean trash and I am the one who wrote on the 8 tee pad where the pin is actually located... I have also cleared dead trees that were just making the course unattractive. I did not however make any whole easier or harder...just routine upkeep.
Other Thoughts: Favorite course in charlotte behind winget and I have played them all.

Angry Beaver

5+    8/27/2015   8/28/2015
Review By: MonkeyGrass
Pros: Challenging, tight woods course. Not too long, but long enough to give every player a challenge. Clean course, nice tee pads. Benches or chairs at nearly every tee. Good variety of holes, from a couple ace-runners to a couple 800' par 5's that will truly test your accuracy and distance. Well rounded course that needs to be played a few times before truly appreciating it!
Cons: What they did to hole 8 is a travesty. The original 8 was a great par 4 down the creek. Adding another 200' and a curly-Q with a ridiculous mando doesn't make the hole any better - just longer and more frustrating. Signage is still not correct on the back 9, and can get a bit confusing if you are playing the course for the first time.
Other Thoughts: This is a very "mental" course. It will challenge you and if you are hacking thru the trees hole after hole due to a lack of driver control - you will truly understand why it's called the "Angry Beaver". If you can avoid the head games, keep your focus and play smart, this is a very fun course and one that will keep you coming back for more!

Could be great

1    3/30/2015   3/30/2015
Review By: TheIncredibleHuck
Pros: Beautiful area, professional level OB and course structure. With proper signage and directions could be one of Charlottes top 3 coures.
Cons: Really got turned around at hole 8. 1-7 plays pretty self-evidently. Without a map or dgcr on mobile web you will be lost on this course guaranteed. Some signs are simply drawings of cupcakes or flowers. The only reason this course should make you angry is the lack of instructions. Bewarned...do not attempt to figure out the course blind, it must be a locals only type of info as with the proper signage this could be a 4.0-4.5 rated course. Without it you will simply be angry.

Beaver Damn!

1    1/8/2015   1/12/2015
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Really a testament to how you can control your disc through tight lines in the woods.

It starts out friendly enough with holes 1-3 being prime short birdie opportunities. They are fun and interesting but are more like the Eager Beaver course than the remainder of this one. Just be careful on #2, a very short 180' hole - but don't overshoot, as there is a pond hiding behind the pin which (apparently) won't yield your disc. It's not intuitive to find tee #2 or 4 except they have kindly painted arrows with numbers on the pavement to show you how to navigate this tricky part.

Then the work begins as you head into the woods where there are many par 4 & 5 holes (only two of which are in the open - 5 & 18 - which are very refreshing but STILL have great peril along the edges), but you will be better served to take some power away on the long holes in the woods, or you will be suffering many pitch-outs. The long woods holes primarily make you turn a dogleg successfully to set up for your next shot. I found this course to be similar to Nevin but seemed more intense than that course.
Cons: When I finished playing my round here I was the angry one! Angry at that Beaver that did not chop down enough trees for his dam. Actually, I felt mentally drained. I liked the challenge, but just felt the difficulty level drained some of the fun.

Some specific points of contention:
Hole #8, as Reposado mentioned is kinda ridiculous. It used to be two separate holes which seemed that they may be better as two holes instead of one. Now, it is a twisty, climby, heavily wooded with lots of OB and very long mess. I scored a par on the hole but felt I hadn't played it well. It just seems like an afterthought.

Perhaps this is just a first-timer's woes but some of the long holes in the woods seemed VERY picky on placement with a mix of poke and hope (yes you, holes 8, 10, 15, 16). If you land just slightly off the edge of the fairway or come up a bit short in distance, you will be punished heavily without a decent line on your next shot.
Other Thoughts: Granted, this course will be a sharp learning curve on your first play because you don't know where your landing zones are yet, and you will also be walking up fairways to spot the pins. That said, I am intrigued to try this course again as there are some interesting elements.

This course is really best played if you can swallow your pride and put most of your power game in your back pocket for a majority of the course . If you can't have this mindset, you may have a VERY frustrating experience. But if you have more of a placement game in mind, you can probably shave some strokes and stay out of trouble.

Make sure and play the Eager Beaver while you're here. It's a nice easy companion to warm up or down from this course.

2-4    7/24/2013   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: This course is angry indeed! Here are my pros:

1) The variety on this course is astonishing. After the first three holes I found myself wondering, what's so angry about this course? I remember starting 2, 2, 2 and thinking this course was going to be EASY. I could not be more wrong. Its not everyday you play a course with a 158 foot par 3 and a few holes later play a BRUTAL 821 foot par 5. The variety of the distances on this course was off the charts.

2) Great baskets and great teepads. The tee signs were homemade but they did the trick.

3) Usage of water - I love courses that incorporate water hazards and Angry Beaver has a few holes where water comes into play. Hole 2 would be one of the easiest holes in Charlotte if not for the lake that is just long of the basket. A 158 foot hole is not hard but when you have a lake 20 feet past the pin that is screaming to engulf your disc you think twice about what to throw at the basket.

4) Hole 5 - this hole is just a treat. Its super challenging but fair. I love the twists and turns on this hole and it just screams UNIQUE. The area in front of the basket and to the right of the fairway near the green, if played as out of bounds, adds a whole new element to the hole.

5) One of these holes is not like the other - Hole 18! This hole is literally like nothing on the course. It is so different from everything else on the course that it makes it a great hole. Even though its a long, difficult hole with danger everywhere (deep woods right, creek left) it actually feels like a breath of fresh air after the wooded holes. This is a great hole with a great green that offers risk/reward shotmaking.
Cons: Here are my cons for Angry Beaver:

1) Hole 9 - unfortunately this hole is one of the few things wrong with this course. I don't like "forced" par 4's. To me a forced par 4 is a hole that looks like it should be a par 3 but then the designer does something to turn it into a par 4. Hole 9 has a very difficult, uphill tee shot to a tight landing area. That wasn't the biggest problem to me (though I hated the out of bounds on this hole). The biggest problem was the fact that the hole then dove more than 90 degrees to the left and kinda curled backwards into the woods just to turn the hole into a par 4. The hole unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth because it could have been a decent par 3 with a different pin location. Its just one hole, though, so don't let it spoil the fun.

2) The back nine became a bit too repetitive for me. I am okay with wooded par 4's that have bending fairways but 11, 14, 15 and 16 all just roll together in my head. These holes struggled to have an identity in my mind that differentiated themselves from the other holes on the back nine. It just felt like I was throwing a 250 foot shot to a landing area and then watching the fairway bend one way or the other. I would have been okay with one or two of these holes but it felt like too much in my opinion.

3) Hole 8 - this isn't a huge con for me because it wasn't too bad but in my opinion this hole just had a little too much luck for me. I know they have it listed as a par 5 but I remember throwing a drive on this hole and it was not a good shot and it crashed through a lot of trees and ended up really good. I then remember throwing another drive a few days later on the same hole and thought I had thrown a perfect shot it and ended up out of bounds. Its just a finicky hole in my opinion.

4) I am not a huge fan of artificial OB. If I throw in the water then that's a penalty. But having areas on the course that are not hazards marked as out of bounds does bother me. I can understand mando areas being blocked off, etc, but I think a better design will allow that kind of stuff to be avoided.

5) I refuse to knock any course for being hard, unless its unfair. This is course is NOT unfair. However, this course is exhausting and not the funnest course to play. I don't think it was designed to be super fun but this course reminds me of Idlewild or Iron Hill (albeit on a lesser scale). Its a gold level course and is meant to be one of the more challenging courses out there. Don't expect to come play this course and smile. Expect to play this course and be drained. This course is not for the feint of heart. Charlotte has many options so if you want something easy walk 500 feet and play the Eager Beaver course.
Other Thoughts: This course holds up to its name very well. It is very angry! That doesn't mean this is a bad course. This is a very good course that really challenges a player. Once again, Charlotte proves itself to be the mecca of disc golf. I have truly never seen so many 3.5 to 4.0 disc golf courses in one area. Angry Beaver is one of the harder courses in the area and will challenge every part of your game -- especially your mental game!

NOTE: I will admit that if I could give this course a 3.75 I would give that rating to this course. I feel like its not a 4.0 course but is somewhere between a 3.5 and a 3.75.

Soaked by the Angry Beaver

5+    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: cth0mps0n
Pros: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area but first a disclaimer: I live next door to Elon so convenience has some bearing on my opinion. It's a very difficult course but is generally a fair challenge. I play it about 5 times per week and never get tired of it. Lots of variety from (a few) short birdie holes to several "just-get-me-outta-here-with-a-bogey" holes. Very heavily wooded- might want to leave the soft plastics in the trunk. A series of creeks wind through several holes along with several retention ponds. Moderate elevation changes but nothing of major consequence. It's long, no way around it. For a reasonably adept 4-some I would expect 2-3 hours to get around the loop. Multiple tees on numerous holes give you a lot of options for changing it up as desired. Trash cans, benches and the like are adequate and there are restrooms in two of the buildings at the park. One of the only courses that you won't hear people worried about their car being robbed! The adjacent short course is nice for a leisurely warm up or to lick your wounds after a rough day at the Angry Beaver. Great community of regular players, too!
Cons: The only hole I take issue with is #8. It's not that long for a par 5 but there is a creek that will make you question physics as it eats up every shot that isn't thrown perfectly. You can miss dead right and somehow go OB left. There are three 90+ degree turns on the hole with a sucker pin above another creek to finish you off. I've seen a lot of decent players take a 5-over par on this hole alone. A few holes demand identical shots even if the holes appear different to the eye. You'll need your anhyzers if you are a RHBH thower. The course can also be very, very muddy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: It feels like you need raw distance here, but that is a mistake. This course will heavily penalize errant shots so focus on accuracy instead. Watch out for snakes in the warm months- there are a tons of them out here! Mostly harmless, of course, but will still scare you when you realize a copperhead or moccasin is at your feet!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5