Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #5 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #5 Fairway: Dog leg left exit

a bit too angry

1    11/16/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's tough. It's long. It's challenging. It's tight, woods golf in the Carolina tradition. The angry beaver will drag you down over eighteen holes and spit you out exhausted and beaten down.

There are some nice holes here, starting with 1, a downhill tunnel that forces an extremely straight throw to the pin.

There's a ton of variety with shots moving to either direction and a decent amount of elevation on many of the holes.

Also, if you like forced layups, this will be the best course you have ever played, because they are featured on most of the holes.
Cons: But hard does not not necessarily mean good and Angry Beaver is a good example why. While there are courses that are both challenging and excellent, this is an example of a course that was toughened up to make more difficult while ruining anything that was good about it.

A perfect example of this is what has happened to hole 8. The old 8 was probably the best hole on the course, with a long fairway over a meandering creek. It only needed a few trees removed on the approach to make an excellent signature hole. Instead, it was combined with hole 9(a bad hole with a too severe curve) to make the new 8. It's probably the worst hole I've ever played. It's shaped like a damn question mark. Unless your goal is to play courses shaped like sentences, I can't see you liking this change. It's harder, I guess, but only because it's a ridiculous hole in an artificial shape. This is an absolute disaster of a hole design which has warped the entire course in the name of difficulty.

There are an absurd amount of ninety degree turns here. The course encourages placement on drives, but only so that it can make the majority of drives a forced layup. I stopped counting the sharp turns on this course but none of them increase the fun here. It's a groanfest of sharp corners.

When the fairways don't require layups, they are typically overly long shots. This is evident in some of the new tees, where they are lengthened just for the sake of length. 5 is a good example of that. It's not a fun hole. It's just long.

Long can be good. But after a dozen holes of ugh, long is really bad. For a ton of people it will be a tiresome course full of holes that don't really make sense as disc golf holes.

The biggest problem is how much the course drags towards the end. The holes are long and there is little memorable about any of them. For the last last third of the course, I was more weary than excited. That is accentuated by the similarity between most of the holes and laying up to a ninety degree turn seventy feet down the fairway is extremely frustrating for the sixth time.
Other Thoughts: In many cities, I'd advise checking out the Angry Beaver. It has a lot of good qualities. But in Charlotte, there are a lot better uses of disc golf time.

Do what boss?

1    10/10/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Rob Martin
Pros: Type of difficulty for some holes were unique such as:
Hole 1 - needed very controlled downhill slope shot.
2 - Blind basket, hyzer over briars, pond and slope away in 2 directions.
3 - Another blind hole, OB behind.
Tight, wooded remainder for most of the remainder of the course.
Cons: If the review is meant to be the *current* condition, this course frustrated the bleep out of me. It is in the middle of a redesin. Some of the new holes will be great, others - at this time - just didn't make sense.
Other Thoughts: In general, I'm not a lengthy essay reviewer. I submit a review primarily to balance a Course Rating if I believe it is skewed high or low to the 95+ courses, 15 states I've played so far. At the time of this review, the course was a 3.83 rating. I was disappointed in it.

5+    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 7/2/2018
Pros: I am updating my review because after years I got to head out to Elon Park and check out the Angry Beaver again. I moved away from Charlotte for a few years, and before doing so Angry Beaver was one of my favorite courses, even though it chewed me up and spit me out pretty much every time. Going in this time I knew I was going to focus more on splitting the holes up into chunks and trying to chip away at the layout. When all was said in done, I remembered why I used to love Angry Beaver so much!

The course has concrete tees and Innova DISCatcher baskets. Short tees were added to two of the holes in 2012 for the PDGA World Championships. It seems like a few more holes may have had this benefit during the redesign. And I saw a sign for one more Long tee that did not currently exist, but there was clearly an opening for it. (DGCR did not have any differing layout info for that hole, so I assume the sign being up is just premature.)

This course will challenge many players both physically and mentally. This is not a beginner course. It was meant to put Advanced players to the test. Intermediate level golfers with big arms will have a good chance to being punished here if they try to rely on that arm, instead of playing smart, accurate golf. The course uses the terrain of the park as well as it probably could and features a lot of holes where you need to hit specific landing zones up and down the fairway if you want to score well. The course is designed in a a way that it tempts you to go for it, but you really just need to play solid golf.

The first three holes are pretty simple holes, but they are also unique. Hole 2 has a very fast green with a lake behind it and Hole 3 is a huge spike hyzer over a lot of trees. But they all still feel like they would almost fit on this courses brother, the Eager Beaver. Then you cross the road to Hole 4, and the beaver starts bearing its teeth.

The course has many memorable holes, some of which have been redesigned - but still manage to keep the same feel of the original layout. Holes 8 & 9 were tweaked/combined into a monster hole, which is just as beautiful as it is challenging. Many of the holes make use of the elevation the course has to offer which adds a lot of variety and hidden difficulty.

There is a decent amount of water in play here, from the lake to the many creeks, and that is always a plus for me. It adds to the scenery, to the difficulty, and to the intimidation factor of this course. I also enjoy playing near water, because the air seems to be fresher.

Other than Hole 2, Hole 3, the second two-thirds of Hole 5, and Hole 18 - the course is primarily wooded. Luckily there are plenty of benches to stop and take a breather if the courses demaning nature is taking its toll on you. I noticed a decent number of trash cans and not a lot of litter, but didn't keep great track because I typically just pack my own trash out.
Cons: The signage here is downright sad! It seems that Charlotte is constantly in a cycle of having one of its amazing courses in a state of poor signage. I swear if every course in Charlotte was signed up the way Hornets Nest is right now, they would all have much higher scores here on DGCR. I wasn't planning on playing Angry Beaver after my round at the Eager Beaver, but I met a guy who was downright insulting the course for its signage. He wasn't the only informant I had on the signage. I am not sure if I had played the course when it had seen better days, signage-wise, but I didn't have trouble making my way through the course. I guess if you rely soley on a tee sign to show you the shape of a hole, and refuse to walk the hole to see where the basket is, this course might crush you.

There are some areas where the rough is pretty tall. Looking at you Hole 5! But the course was honestly not that bad when it came to rough, it has definitely cleared up over the past decade. Even the OB around Hole 5, is nothing like Eastway tends to become in the summer time.

I wish the amenities were better at Elon in general. Or I wish I knew where they were. I have never been able to locate a restroom or water fountain here - so I always make sure to bring my own water. (Except for my last trip here. Whoops!)

The parking here can get tight, because the lot is not all that big, and there are two courses.
Other Thoughts: I think that Angry Beaver is criminally underrated right now. When compared to other courses in Charlotte, I would put AB in a tier just below the Big Three (Renny G, Nevin, and Hornets Nest), but with a little work it could go toe-to-toe with them. Which is not at all a bad place to be, the fact that those three courses already exist in the same city is pretty insane to me, but this course has always been up there for me - but for some reason many players seem to turn a blind eye to it.

I am going to keep my rating for this course at a 4.0 - and assume that the signage issue will be corrected when the CDGC gets done making the preparations for the 2018 Amateur World Championships. (Elon will not be a part of the rotation, unfortunately.) If the signage was better, I think this course would have a better reputation. It is challenging, but it is not an unfair course. If there were one or two more open holes like Hole 5, or if the course layout could have been shaped to allow for a figure out design - I think this course could score higher. But 4.0 is already a super solid score, and the land given to the designers just didn't seem to permit either of those. I will always enjoy the mental fatigue I feel when I realize I am only on Hole 12 of AB, and there's plenty of bite left in this course.

If you try playing Angry Beaver and are finding it too difficult, hop over to Eager Beaver and give it a go. Just remember if you go much further past Hole 3 or 4 - you are gonna feel locked in.

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 15 18

My review

5+    2/10/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: johngrond
Pros: Long, sometimes tight, mostly wooded. This course has challenges for all! Accurate pars, IMHO. One of the tougher courses in the Charlotte Metro...
Cons: Multiple curves sometimes called for, which I, as a moderately skilled amateur, get beat up on. I can throw a hyzer flip with decent distance, but some of these holes require a pro arm to par. #5 in particular stands out for that. Again, this is just my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoy this course. I don't score here nearly as well as I should, but I love it as much as any course in Charlotte.

Rain makes me angry

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 5/10/2018
Pros: -Great park with a gymnasium, place for fishing, game room, trail for walking, playground and TWO disc golf courses!
-This course at Elon seems to be worked on a little more than Eager Beaver because it has benches and trash cans unlike Eager Beaver.
-I like how this course gives you an opprotunity to score well on the first three holes, once you get to #4 you are like "This must be the hardest on the course." By the time you are on #5 you are thinking "How did this get here?!?!" Do not let the first three fool you because it gets tricky really fast.
-Great mix of holes here. It has elevation used pretty well, a few dropoffs, holes 200+ to 800'+, doglegs, and a few open holes but it's mostly wooded.
-A few short tees from worlds because some holes (particularly #5) can be a lot of trouble. I didn't mind playing the long tees though, I parred #4 but I did blow up on #5 because of terrible approach shots. The hole isn't so hard if you really throw hard.
-On this course, I have two favorite holes, #10 and #16. #10 is a straight downhill tunnel shot par 3 over the creek. Once you are over, the approach shot is pretty open. It says that it's 268' but it think it's about 305', it PLAYS maybe 268'. #16 is a slightly downhill dogleg left par 4. I threw a 320' hyzer and got an easy birdie even though I was in the woods, it's not bad if you are short on this hole, but it isn't pleasant if you overthrow. With that said, I think #2 is the most memorable along with #5.
#2 is an uphill 158' par 3 with the lake 5' behind the basket. I liked the design over the vegetation. It was a bit like #15 at South Mountain, except this hole isn't steep downhill. It's very easy to throw past the basket and land in the water just like an overthrow on #15 at South Mountain will get you in the DEEP woods. #5 was also memorable, it's the longest and toughest on the course close to the road. The big mound is close to it, some people wish the tee for #5 is on the mound.
-Very scenic walk in the woods. Very pretty course! It's VERY well maintained and very well taken care of. I enjoyed the beauty of this course, it's a pretty walk in a nice little forest. It was raining very hard when I played, I felt like I was in a conferous forest. A very pretty one.
-Water is used very nicely around the course. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind it really.
-Both of the finishing holes end close to the first holes. On both courses. The first tees are both close to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot, just keep going past the white baskets (which are the baskets for this course.) and keep driving, just follow the road.
-At Winthrop University, it has two courses. It doesn't have teesigns that say which course you are playing. It doesn't have teesigns period. This place has teesigns that say angry beaver, and eager beaver on the teesigns so you know which course you are playing. The baskets are also different colors. The Eager Beaver baskets are yellow and the baskets on this course are white. The course kiosk is close to both first tees as well.
#18 was a great way to finish. It's an open dogleg right par 5. It was an easy par for me because I just threw three drives 250' and that left me with a short approach shot. It's long but if you throw decent drives down the fairway, you won't get worse than a bogey.
-Plenty of arrows pointing you to the next tee.
-Lots of uniqueness here. Hole 11 stands out in my mind. It's a deuceable par 4 that's downhill and over the creek. Fairway is tight.
Cons: -When it rains, the fairway (or trail) leading to #3's basket is wet. Bring your old shoes and expect to get dirty because if your disc goes down #9's dropoff, you literally have to jump down six feet into the creek to get your disc. This course is VERY muddy. Do NOT play in the rain. I'm serious! I was extremely happy with my score of +10 in heavy rain. Discs will slip out of your hand and you could have a crappy shot. I had plenty of them.
-The vegetation on #3 is out of control! #2's didn't bug me because it's uphill so you can see the basket, plus it's very short. #3, you can't see the basket from the tee, I lost a cheetah on that hole. #3 wasn't a bad hole but the vegetation is horrible.
-The OB can bother you, a lot. This course has penalization written all over it. It wasn't the water that bugged me but this course has plenty of ropes that if you go past, you are penalized and some people won't like #9's island green rule. The teeshot is narrow and the trees cna give a nasty kick. If you go over the water, you are fine. I ignored the OB today because it was raining.
-#9's teepad is too small, so is #17's. Not the appropriate length for a teepad with holes almost 300'.
-Once again, too many OB stakes. There are stakes past 6's basket that aren't needed, the 8th hole in general is bad. You have to have a ridiculously accurate shot and poke and pray off the pad, not to mention that the ditch is OB. Not just the water part of it.
Other Thoughts: -I loved this course. It was very interesting and very scenic. I would have had a better score if it wasn't rainy today. I enjoyed this course anyway. Every hole is interesting in it's own way. This is the advanced level course at Elon but it's more forgiving than Nevin and Renaissance. It can still frustrate you. I got frustrated because of the rain which really bumped up my score.
-If you want an ace here, it can happen but at Eager Beaver, you have a bigger chance in an ace. #1-#3 can be aced and #13 could possibly be aced as well. #13 is an uphill ace run that goes into the woods. Some people think it messes with the flow of the course but it's a nice break from all the difficult holes you play is what I think about it.
-A warning here would be that OB isn't light. I lost two discs here. The course is scenic but you need to keep your eye on where the disc lands. Particularly #2 and #3. Those are the holes I lost discs on, and if you go into the water on #2, your disc is gone.
-This course doesn't really have a signature hole. Every hole here, you can either love it or hate it. Every hole will save you or hate you, #16 made me. #5 and #6 hated me. I double bogeyed them both.
-I loved this course! It's easy to navigate, it's pretty, the holes are all fair. None of the holes here are unfair, none of them. Some of them are very tough but none of them are really over the top for me. The OB may be irritating at time but none of the holes should really make you furious. The rain did though.
-Tell me if you want to know more.

Angry Beaver

1    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: tsaksa13
Pros: The course has a very nice layout. Some short technical shots and some open long shots. Big range of hole lengths from 200 ft to 800 ft. The stream is OB for some holes makes it a bit harder. The course was very clean and clearly marked from hole to hole.
Cons: The retention pond on hole 5 can be a loss of a disc so be careful where you throw.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played from difficulty to cleanliness to layout.

Great course

2-4    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Disclaimer: I only played the worlds layout.

There are solid concrete tees here and sometimes long tees. I love how the course starts with three birdie holes and then begins to get difficult. It's great that the first three holes are all treacherous greens. Even though they are short, they are not gimmies. Hole 4 is a great forced straight shot with ob on either side of the fairway. Hole 6 is a demanding placement par 4 that is very tough to stay clean on the skinny fairway. 7 is a solid dogleg right par 3. 8 is a good par 4. Even though the hole is only 380' a 3 does feel like a birdie here. Off the tee there are two defined gaps split by a large tree. Anywhere left or ricocheted left here will be OB. It is a tight twisty fairway and at the green there is more OB behind the basket. Hole 9 has a unique shaped fairway. It is a left turning horseshoe that goes up and back down. The drive plays up and over OB making it like an island hole. Again, you will need a gut check as you decide whether to run your putt or not. Hole 10 is a good downhill, tight, tunnel shot. Hole 11 is a great dogleg right par 4. Hole 12 is tight and doglegs left but has a tricky angle to it. Hole 13 is a solid uphill hole. Hole 15 is solid left turning par 3. Hole 16 is solid left turning par 4. 18 is an awesome finishing hole. It is a par 5 with a generous fairway to rip some drives on. Enjoy the finish.
Cons: Hole 5 from the short tee was too easy of a birdie for me. I could just throw two 250 foot hyzers and drop in my 3. It was not worth going for the 2 with the OB so I found it a boring hole. I have not played it from the long tee. Some small branches in the middle of the fairways seemed flukey and unfair when I played there.Hole 14's drive is really short and boring to me. It is a par 4 where I throw two putters to get to the green which is not very fun. Hole 17 feels exactly like hole 7 to me as it requires the same line.

The short par 4s are repetitive to me. Just not what I prefer.

Slightly Irritated Beaver

5+    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Angry Beaver is a very tough course that compliments the eager very well. Much like Nevin this course is about contol and can you throw accurate shots.

There are a few holes where you can bomb like hole 5 short pad and hole 18 but beware there is O.B. or thick woods nearbye.

I love how the course rocks you to sleep as you start because 1 2 3 &4are so straight forward and then you get to 5 and it starts getting tough.

The worlds layout took out my least favorite hole in Long 5!

The fact that there are two completly different courses on this property has to be the biggest Pro
Cons: The biggest con for me is this course just isn't memorable after about hole 10. It seems to get boring. While I do like the holes for the most part they just never really stand out in my mind.

It can be confusing to newcomers which course is which because the first few holes of angry arnt very long so theyre thinking" man I can do this" then holes 4 and 5 hit them hard. We had a group behind us on angry carrying ultimate discs and they had found there way onto the wrong course. They ended up giving up after hole 7

Confusing transitions for first timers. Hole 1 to 2 is marked but still a long strange transition and several places on the back 9 are confusing with multiple tees nearbye

There are a few places that I feel the OB can be a bit much such as hole 8 and the random OB creek halfway down hole 10.

No benches and very few trashcans which leads to litter.
Other Thoughts: Angry beaver is a serious challenge. The style of play is just like Nevin in that it's all about placement off the tee. This one is a tough course so bring your A game if you are traveling through. I definatly recomend this one!

Ouch!

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: There are some absolutely spectacular holes on this course. The design on the course is good and it makes really good use of the stream that runs through the park. This is a huge park with a second much easier course there for the newer players. There is a very good viriety early on, but this fades away as the round goes on. Hole 18 is rather epic and even though I triple bogied it, it was still memorable in a good way. There are some really nice benches. Nice tee pads. Some of the baskets are aging a bit but for the most part they are still in very good condition. There are sports fields and I am sure more than I saw in the park. There is a very nice parking lot specifically in the disc golf area. The tee signs are really good and for the most part it is easy to find the next hole. This course is really all about the challenge.
Cons: The biggest con here for me was how the course started to feel repeatative about halfway through. Most of these are the holes that a long through tight woods with a dog leg one way or the other. So many of these holes I was just plain sick of them by the end. A bit more creativity would have made this course a 4 easily. Some of the OB lines are ridiculous, especially hole 9. Island green? Isn't it bad enough that you have to hit a tiny gap? There are a few walks from one hole to the next that might be a bit difficult.
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend taking a map with you simply because there are a couple of long walks and poorly marked trails from one hole to the next. It looks as if they were well marked recently and just simple use by people who don't care or respect the course have made it not as good as it was. If you come to play this course, I would plan on playing the shorter easier course afterwards just so that you get your good feelings back. This really is a tough one and one I would not reccomend for newer players. This course does compare with some of the top courses in teh area, it really is just about that simple lack of creativity to holds this course back.

Upset Beaver

2-4    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: ssittler
Pros: With all the courses we have in Charlotte this is definitely a gem in the crown.
I'll call it the Upset Beaver now however because it's been shortened for the World's event. It was definitely Angry before, but the shorter holes increase the pace of play and provide some Anger management.
The first 3 holes give you a chance to get under par. After that, it's up to you to score because the course gives nothing.
Most of the course plays in the woods so you'll need to hit lines, mostly with midrange discs. I can't remember a single hole where max driver would have been appropriate. That said it's a great challenge.
Cons: This is petty but there are not benches on every hole. I'm getting older so this is now something I notice.
Other Thoughts: A great venue for everyone when you consider both the Eager and Angry Beaver.