Martinsburg, WV
Poor House Farm DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #2 (Taken 9/2016)

< Prev 1 2 3
wooded with thick rough

1    8/7/2017   8/7/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Pros: - a couple of really fun holes
- elevation change
Cons: - thick rough
- navigation can be tricky
Other Thoughts: Poor House Farm is a mostly wooded course with a lot of elevation change. There were a couple of holes that I really enjoyed, including some fun downhill shots. However, the course could use some work as the rough and the undergrowth is very thick. There were a couple of holes where we would get to our drives and think, "thank goodness we didn't miss left" because there was a drop off that we couldn't see from the tee and very thick rough. And as cool as the huge downhill teeshot on 18 is, I feel very fortunate to still have that disc in my bag.

I played this course while traveling through the area, and would consider playing it again, but if you are considering playing this course be careful because it would not be difficult to lose a disc on this course. And bring a map because the navigation can be tricky in a few spots.

Get Rich at the Poor Farm House

1    6/11/2017   6/21/2017
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Poor House Farm is a wonderful mid-range course. With some wonderful views and one long stroll through the woods, this was a fantastically delightful round of disc golf.
- The course has a great beginning, a picturesque middle, and a signature closing. As for the rest of the course? It all felt eerily similar, and yet, it's still fun.
- Holes #2 &3 are both upshot layouts, leading you up the hill where you'll spend the next 14 holes. #4 is an excellent hole: a slight downhill layout at 251 feet (short tee) with OB all along the left side. I had a great view of the sunrise over the fields from here.
- Most of the course plays in fields that are shielded by woods on both sides of the fairways. If you get off the fairway, you'll may be searching for your disc for a while and/or having impossible shots getting back onto the fairway. Normally that's a negative. Here it isn't simply because the fairways are extremely wide that you shouldn't have an excuse for missing it.
- Don't let the scenery fool you, though, on #11. There's an apple orchard running the left side of the fairway (it also runs along #14). In terms of narrower fairways, this is one of the tighter ones. Enjoy the great view of the orchard and the mountains beyond it. Just don't lose focus on your round.
- The wooded section of the course doesn't offer a lot of variety, especially on holes #5 - 10. It really felt like six straight holes where I was throwing a mid-range or fairway driver on each hole, with each one being a dogleg left or dogleg right. With those holes only ranging in length from 251 to 297 feet, you'll see why it'll start feeling repetitive.
- The wooded holes on the back 9 do offer a lot more variety. The terrain changes - more elevation is in play; there are tighter fairways; hole lengths vary more; and there's a greater emphasis on risk/reward tee shots. If you get lulled to sleep on the front 9, you better snap out of it, or you'll be in for a long back 9.
- Hole #17 was a fun, tight, short hole that looks tougher than it plays. It's a 211-foot tee shot over a narrow fairway to a slightly raised, small landing area. My tee shot landed on the wrong side of the landing area, but when I got to my disc, I realized I only had a 20-foot putt for birdie. This is a well-designed hole that's the precursor to the grand finale.
- I hate to say this course is all about one hole, but #18 is truly a notch or two above everything else here. When the future NBA star is dominating opposing players a foot shorter than him; when the future NFL running back is scoring 7 touchdowns a game on his varsity team, you tend to notice the disparity. What you have at Poor House is a sharp downhill, slightly dogleg right layout. The x-factor here is the thick, unforgiving rough that runs along the fairway. If you start your tee shot too far left in hopes of sweeping it back right, good luck finding a disc in that thicket. I've played downhill closing holes before that are steeper, longer, more visual. I've yet to play one with the risk/reward factor and high 'lost disc' factor as this one. It's the simple brilliance that makes this hole stand out.
- Course is completely isolated from the rest of the park. The setup of this park, and the walk towards the first hole is one of the most enjoyable, scenic setups I've played. You really get the sense of small town pleasantries with its design.
Cons: The biggest negative here is the redundancy; the monotony; the redundancy. Holes #5 - 10 really all looked and played relatively the same. The thick woods, and wide fairways, created the same look six consecutive holes.
- There is a discrepancy on correct lengths from the tee signs vs the online maps. At times, the tee signs seemed right; other times it was the online map. Most of the times the two distances were essentially the same. Other times, they were far apart.
- The walk down the hill on #18 is a bit tricky. If the ground is wet, this walk could become adventuresome. Just be careful and wear good shoes. A lost disc and a fall on #18 would really put a damper on a round.
- It would have been nice to see more variety in hole lengths. One longer hole - a par 4 or par 5 - would stand out. Even a short, ace-run hole would stand out as something different.
Other Thoughts: - My first round at Poor House is like watching the Usual Suspects for the first time. The entire experience is solid; but, the giant plot twist at the end lifts the entire experience. Now that I've played here once, I'm worried future outings will feel like 17 holes worth of Stephen Baldwin and Kevin Pollak, just to find out that #18 is Keyser Soze.
- This course was right up there with my favorite short to mid-range courses played. The fact you can navigate the course, and shot a good score, even without throwing any distance, is a nice change of pace.
- I played this course early the morning after playing Woodshed and Whippin' Post. Parks and Rec says the course opens at daylight. It was light out by 5:30 in the morning. Standing on the first hole, teeing off at 6:05 in the morning was a great experience. Finishing a round, and back in my truck by 7:15, now that's how you start a day!
- This is a course that you'll probably score a whole lot better the second time around. Once you figure hole layouts, expect big improvement. At least that's my rationalization my less than stellar round.
- I'd play this course again. For a 'simpler' course, this was a fun one. It achieved its goal of being an exceptional shorter course. I wish more courses were as well executed as this one.

Rough

5+    5/19/2017   5/19/2017
Review By: Bum-Bum
Pros: Awesome course when manicured.
Cons: Course is in rough shape and hard to play even in the short position
Other Thoughts: Beginner and intermediate players should probably stay away until cleaned up.
Advanced and pro players will find it very frustrating to play right now.
Lost 2 discs in rough within the circle and 1 30 feet from tee pad from my errant drive.

An unpolished gem

1    9/30/2016   11/6/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:

This 18 hole course highlights the tranquil and rural beauty of West Virginia. This rustic course offers a variety of technical holes with ever present elevation changes. It was nice to catch a glimpse of the nearby hills and the sprawling orchards while playing through the lush wooded landscape. With a little more polish and attention, this course could be a shining gem. I played this course as part of a disc golf road trip covering 12 states in 12 days. This was the only course I played in the state of West Virginia.

I used bullet points for those that don't want to read the entire review.

West Virginia Beauty
I really enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere at Poor House Farm. This is truly a very beautiful glimpse of West Virginia beauty. From the big beautiful barn that overlooks the parking lot, you take a short walk over the stream and bridge to the first tee. The view of the nearby hills are stunning and you can catch a glimpse several times during the round.

Challenge and Reflection
This was one of those technical wooded courses where you realize after a few holes that you need to think about your shot selection to score well. While this course does not require big distance, it does require accuracy to score well. I really appreciate it when a course awakens and challenges the competitive side of me. In addition to being a good challenge, this course also had a super fun and funky laid back vibe. I enjoy it when a course presents a peaceful solitude that makes you want to relax, take in and enjoy all the unique beauty that surrounds you.

Tees
The tees were ample brick tees that were obviously professionally installed. Except for the tee on Hole 18, which is still a natural tee, the brick tees are holding up very well. There is gravel placed around a few tees to prevent mud. Nearly every single tee had a table, bench or logs for seating.

Tee Signs
The basic tee signs only provided the par and the distance for each hole. The signs gave no hint if the target was right, left or straight. There was no information about the direction next tee. This course demonstrates the value of including a small map on a tee sign. As usual, I forgot my map and didn't have my phone. Without a map, and these basic signs, navigation was very frustrating. Luckily for me, some local player used a Sharpie to add an arrow on each DISCatcher band to show the way to the next tee.

Technical Challenge
This is not a championship course, but it will certainly challenge the average player to stay in the fairway. If you have reliable straight shot, you will be able to score well. While it may not require a large variety of shots to score well, the course terrain does offer plenty of variety. I thought the holes along the orchard were both challenging and beautiful.

Maintenance
The course was in great shape when I played in early fall. The grass was still fairly short and the rough was not too rough. Except for Hole 18, all the tees were all in good shape. Holes 5 and 6 were were missing tee signs. I also played the course in the rain and after it had rained for a few days. Since the fairways are mostly grass there was very little mud and a little erosion noticeable on the fairway of Hole 3.

Navigation
Don't be like me and forget your map. While the map here is not that detailed, it can surely help you to know if a hole is going left, right or straight and the general direction of the next tee. There are sometimes three different trails leading away from the target, so don't forget to check that target one more time for the Sharpie arrow before you make your choice.

Most Deer Ever!
I think I saw at least 50 different deer on this course. I am not exaggerating. I would see 8 or 9 run one way then follow a path and see another 6 or 7 running in the other direction. I saw at least three different herds hanging out in the fairway that didn't seem to mind me playing through at all. The more I played, the more deer I saw here and on the apple orchard next door.

All 18 in a row
Once you leave the parking area, you don't return until you have played the entire 18 hole loop. While the course is not terribly long, it is a long walk up and down the hills in the woods. Be sure to bring all the water and snacks you will need to make it through the round. Don't forget to be respectful and pack out your trash. Keep this course clean for all to enjoy.

Bugs
Perhaps it is because I played in the rain, but I didn't notice any bugs or biting things while I played.

Kids, Carts and Strollers
Only bring the carts and strollers if you don't mind pushing your rig up and down grassy fairways. Older kids could certainly walk along. Kids with some skills would be able to play. You won't return to the parking area until after you play all 18 holes.

Restrooms
There was a full service restroom facility with electricity and running water located off the parking lot on the way to the first tee. There were no other restrooms on this rustic course, but there are plenty of opportunities for privacy during the round.
Cons:
Navigation Issues
This private course should consider investing in better tee signs. Not being able to tell where the target is or the direction of the next tee can be frustrating when playing a new course.

Photos
The photos on DGCR must be from the day the course was created. They show logs and brush and extra trees in the fairways. I played in September while the trees were full and the fairways were plenty wide and clear. I will upload as many new photos as I can to show how this course has matured and that the fairways do exist.

Lost discs
It could be possible to lose discs over the property line on the orchard holes. There were a couple of blind holes where players will want to pay attention to the landing.

This course rates very high on the good vibrations scale as it offers such a unique experience. . This was a genuinely fun and challenging course that I wish I could play again. I would love to have another chance to get more pars and birdies. This course would rate much higher if it had informative tee signs and some navigation aids.

1    10/8/2016   10/11/2016
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: After making your way past the youth football fields and the reception hall and the fishing pond, the course sits in the wooded hills beyond. There is some nice elevation. Hole 2 is a short drive straight up the mountain, and hole 3 is a fun ace run down the other side. After this you're playing with more gentle elevation until late in the round.

This is an intermediate's course. The holes are mostly 250-300 feet, and if you can throw straight, you can shoot well here.

I only saw one other person on the course (a dog walker). It was drizzly, but I wonder if you always get to enjoy this much solitude.

Tee pads are brick and pretty solid (as bricks tend to be).
Cons: Navigation isn't easy with multiple intersecting paths making it difficult to tell where the next hole is. There are a couple signs pointing the way, but not on most holes. Even with the map it wasn't always easy.

It shouldn't be too hard to avoid the rough, but the rough is very thick if you do shank one in there.

The tee signs indicate distance and nothing else. Although the holes aren't long, the basket is often not visible from the tee.

Hole 18 is a tragedy. A fun bomb down a steep hill (think intermediate ski trail steepness) is ruined by the fact that the basket isn't visible and could be in any number of places. I had to throw a succession of dump shots until I finally saw it behind a clump of bushes at the very bottom. Someone really overthought this. It still would have been a great hole if the basket was straight down the hill.
Other Thoughts: For such a rural area, I'm glad to see a good course with pretty nice design. It's not a bad place for any beginner or intermediate player, and even better players will enjoy some ace runs.

5+    6/15/2016   6/27/2016
Review By: Lflynnalbqnm
Pros: The course is a basic course good for beginners.
Cons: The course is in dire need of cleanup. I first played on Memorial Day weekend and the course was barely playable. I've tried to play every Monday since but the course is barely recognizable with all the vegetation and overgrowth.
Other Thoughts: I would be more than willing to help with cleaning up this course if a cleanup date is set.

Spend More Time Searching...

5+    6/6/2016   6/7/2016
Review By: IllustratorVir
Pros: There is a good mix of elevation and hole layout/direction. The holes all have teepads now that are in pretty good shape. The scenery is very pretty and there are restroom facilities and a nice practice field near by.
Cons: Summer is here and the rough has grown, it is a nightmare. On many of my more recent trips I spend more time searching than I do playing. If your disc does not land in the fairway, be prepared to search or lose plastic.
Other Thoughts: I have been coming to this course fairly frequently over the last year or so. But that has pretty much stopped given the dense rough and lost plastic. There are other courses within 20-30 miles that are better constructed and punish your score, not your bag.

West Virginia's most under rated coarse

5+    8/28/2015   9/6/2015
Review By: James McGirr
This review was updated on 9/11/2015
Pros: On any given hole there is at least 30 feet of uninpeded air space through out the fairway. The course has the appearance of being heavily treed.Through out the coarse Fairways were very fair off the tee
Cons: If you can throw a disc over 375 feet you could over power the coarse.If you go into the ruff alot of sticky things stick to you.
Other Thoughts: I really liked the coarse. It looks difficult at first. than you look closer. There are real fairways here even if your throw isn't totally on your intended line. Your throw ends up some were down by the basket. I really liked this course and have played alot of disc golf courses.It does require accurate throws but not total persision.

Po Boy Sandwich

1    5/2/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 technical holes playing through rugged wooded mountain terrain. 16 of the tees are nice pavers and holes 17 and 18 were natural tees. There are basic signs around the tees. Good mix of holes playing straight or gentle turns left or right with varying distances and elevation changes. There is some OB on the course to add to the challenge. Lots of fun short holes and hole 18 caps it off throwing a monster downhill shot. Benches at all the tees. Bathrooms by parking lot.
Cons: As a traveling player, navigation and signage are the biggest cons here. There are tee signs at the tees, but some are mounted and others are laying around. The rough can also be a menace. As I was searching for an errant disc on hole 4, a couple nice semi-local players helped in the search and found my lost disc, and I asked to join them since I hadn't played here and they were happy to show me around and they knew navigation is tricky here.

Only one big loop of 18 holes back to parking lot. Course might be a little rough for rank beginners and too tough to hike the elevation required for other people. Course is also a bit short in length for pro level players.
Other Thoughts: The Poor House Farm DGC is set in the mountain and woods behind the rustic farm house. You pass the pond and go over the bridge of the creek to get to hole 1. There was a wedding going on when I played here and the closest parking lot was closed, and I had to walk the long way around the farm house.

Hole 1 starts out with a nice flat 50-60' wide fairway although there are woods on both sides and a creek on the left that I found on the first drive of the day. Then Holes 2 and 3 play quite a bit uphill. Hole 4 was a nice little valley shot. Holes 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 alternate gentle turns and elevation changes. Holes 12, 13, 14, and 15 all play slightly uphill and varying degrees of straight to slightly RHBH hyzer lines. Holes 16 and 17 are different than the pictures, I forget which one was the short island hole over a valley, but I really liked that shot. There is a bit of a walk downhill to hole 18, then you have a steep downhill bomb and the basket was blind to the right at the bottom of the hill, protected by trees and large rock formations just before the basket and the creek 40' behind the basket. It feels weird to throw out above the trees instead of down the swath of trees that was cut out for the fairway, it's just that steep!

Overall Poor House Farm tastes like a Po Boy Sandwich, it's a fun solid little technical course for most players. It's not a course that would go too far out of the way to play, but if in the area bring a map or meet a local, stay in the fairway, and have a good ole time here.

Not for the weak....

1    12/7/2014   12/8/2014
Review By: seanyboyhoward
Pros: Awesome entrance to course. If you are someone who likes elevation change this is a course for you. All variety of shots, ace runs, technical shots, up hill, down hill..etc. The course is a great hike, especially the first 4 holes. Use of property is pretty good, lots of fallen trees on holes which i enjoy. Teepads are in great shape as well as baskets.
Cons: As stated in other reviews the signage is poor. With the multiple trails and the course having a map at each hole would be very beneficial. The signs pointing to next hole, perhaps a different color than green they were hard to see.

Also I went when all the brush around the course was dead but I can see how in full foliage it would be terrible.
Garbage cans, just put a few out on the course. There were beer cans at certain points, just a few cans to keep it a little cleaner.
Other Thoughts: This was a fantastic course. I would recommend it to anyone in the area. I had a great time playing.

< Prev 1 2 3