Nashville, TN
Two Rivers Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 12/2016)

Share URL:

Closest Course to the Grand Ole Opry

1    7/3/2017   8/16/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.151 Rating) My first experience on a Tennessee Course.
- EASY GOING - One of the better aspects of Two River Park is the laid back feel. No hazards and little overgrowth. There are also birdie opportunities for rec players. Skilled players will be able to shoot low and make a few ace runs. Lots of opportunity to air one out for players maxing at 400 feet, if that's your thing.
- FORGIVENESS - The odds of losing a disc due to an errant shot is near impossible. Misguided shots are generally not further punished within this very lightly wooded layout.
- NAVIGATION - Adequate with a download of the course map on DGCR. I did not see a course map on site, but even without a downloaded one, you'd eventually figure it out. The openness helps with locating next tees, however the hole signage and also downloaded map don't help enough to stop first timers from playing to the wrong basket on a few holes. I personally threw to the wrong basket 3 times, even with the map.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Not a beginners course per say or an advanced level course, however Two Rivers does manages to provide a prefect middle ground with the one set of tees. The forgiveness as stated above, is great for beginners and rec players. The fairways are long enough on a few holes for advanced players and the few obstacles that are here will make a skilled player work for it on several holes. However, upper advanced players and pros will come away unchallenged.
- QUICK PLAY - For its length, it plays fairly quick. I did my round here solo in under an hour. I think this will translate to two hours for a group of four seasoned players.
- MAINTENANCE - The grounds appear to be constantly mowed, trimmed and manicured. I don't recall seeing any trash on my visit.
- NIGHT GOLF - I think Two Rivers would be an ideal night golf course. Spacious fairways, only a few areas of overgrowth and no water hazards in play.
- LOCATION - Located literally like one mile from the Grand Ole Opry music hall, resort and mall.
Cons: No major issues with Two Rivers but it scored average to below average in all five of my reviewing categories (Fun Factor, Character, Uniqueness, Raw Difficulty and Raw Beauty)
- UNIQUENESS - Way too many open plays. There are at least three holes without a single tree in play (8,14,18). 13 of the remaining 14 holes I'd classify as lightly wooded, and only one hole, number (4), I'd label as a moderately wooded hole. There are no water plays, doglegs and or pockets to skip into. There is only one good bender on (4) if basket placement (A) is used. Only one par 4 on (3) if basket placement (C) is used.
- ELEVATION NOT FULLY USED - Just about every hole has some elevation to it. Nothing all that major, maybe 35 feet max on any one hole. Two Rivers however, has way more available than is currently used. The site has the potential to perhaps work in a 50 foot elevation tee shot on (14). I read on an earlier review that a redesign in 2011 reduced much of the elevation here. I understand that some players will struggle with navigating elevation but I personally would prefer that a couple shots use the maximum the site allows.
- CHARACTER - Fewer amenities and comfort items than I was expecting. I was not impressed by the hole signage. Very poor in its artistic description. The old signage behind these posted over images appears to have been much better. So it was a bit of a head scratcher to think that an item like this downgraded over time. Probably the next biggest thing missing is seating. I also didn't see a practice area. There were however multiple basket placements typical of older established courses.
- TEES - A few of the pads are carpet. For the remainder that are concrete, several are in need of repair and they are very much on the smallish side.
- CHAINS - Mach 3s that are very much starting to show their age.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - Seasoned players who are able to throw 300 feet should have no problem breaking par on this course. Advanced players should probably be able to go several down. Very few shots require you to shape your shot and baskets can typically be attacked from multiple angles.
- SPACING - I found myself deep into other fairways. It's not that there's inadequate room, it's the absents of bordering tree lines and the constant paralleling of hillsides that allows misfired discs to head way off course.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Perhaps it was the time of year I played, but I did not find the course to be vibrant. For what few trees and shrubs that were here, several looked to be on the verge of death. I saw massive branches that were downed in the fairways that I passed through. By all means, Two Rivers is nowhere near the worst course out there in these terms, It's just a touch below average compared to the 149 courses I've hit as of this review.
- TIME WAITING - I played at the break of dawn and still found myself waiting for a few morning joggers and walkers. Five or six holes have a walking path in play.
- WIND - I lucked out, hardly any wind the day I came out here. But considering the openness, I'd bet that it's a common occurrence out here.
Other Thoughts: I forgot my bag on my trip to Nashville, so I had to run this one with three new discs I purchased in town. I see Two Rivers being an adequate rec course that probably also makes it into the rotation of many area players. Not a destination course, but if you're from out of town staying at the nearby Gaylord Opryland Resort, you can slip away early in the morning and knock this one out before your wife even knows you were gone. True story.

frustrating experience

1    9/26/2015   10/4/2015
Review By: ssimmons
Pros: this is a nicely maintained park. the terrain and trees make for some fun and challenging shots.
Cons: There were some tees missing signs and there are extra tee boxes so I had a difficult time finding the right tee and basket at times. A couple holes I guessed wrong. Most of the signs that were present had an extra paper in the display that covered information related to the hole - distance and direction. there weren't many people out but I did have to watch for some on the path. I can see this being a problem on a busy day.
Other Thoughts: This has the potential for being a great course if a little time was put into maintaining the course not just the park.

5+    3/6/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: Not too much to brag about here. There are baskets here, that is always good. People new to the game can throw a good round here without climbing up and down hills now that there has been a remodel of the layout. Nice practice spot where you don't have to worry about losing discs. Also for the locals this is a great place for practice ripping on the old pad and pin positions that were very long and downhill.
Cons: The bad thing is that this place is usually very crowded with non disc golfers making it hard to shoot a round without distractions and holdup's. With the new layout there are lot of the same shot back and forth along the sides of the hills. There are several dangerous tee locations as well. Not much shade, hardly any trash cans, no benches, etc. Least favorite of all Nashville courses by most locals. They have managed to destroy a great course in my opinion. It's a shame too because this was one of the only courses where you could come rip your driver with full power and get the full potential out of the disc down those awesome elevation changes that they hardly use anymore. Out of towners will have a tough time of trying to find their way around the course. Hole 1 is by the main entrance by the road by the way. Signs are clustered and confusing now.
Other Thoughts: I used to play here often after a round at Seven Oaks to get some major elevation rips out there. I used to kill it here before they made it even easier. Sure walking up those hills was tiresome but the shots at the top back down were unlike anything we had here in Nashville. Now they barely use the great elevation changes here. Instead of shooting down an awesome hill you are shooting across back and forth. Still hot and shadeless and walking back and forth, just not getting that awesome shot. Used to have concrete tees, accurate signs, and awesome shots. Now none of the above. On an early morning if no one is there I still go and play the old layout. It can still be done with a couple of minor changes. 18 is one of the only shots like there used to be. I will miss 14 from the top of the hill forever.

I guess I see what they were trying to do with the remodel. Due to the shared park with non disc golfers there were some very dangerous and sometimes annoying situations. Throwing a blind shot down on 3 to see an angry biker coming up around the hill that you almost killed was never good. New players were always complaining about the hills so it hardly got played and they were probably trying to increase traffic. The climb was worth it for the shot in my eyes though. The higher the climb the more fun the shot. I loved seeing my discs fly farther than they ever had before down those rolling fairways.

There used to be a 10 percent window of the year that I really enjoyed playing here. Early fall when the wind and sun were not so bad and the children were at school. Now I hardly have the urge to go at all, unless I know that no one is there and I can shoot the old school route.