Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 12/2016)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
And Now For Something Completely Different

1    4/27/2019   6/5/2019
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.604 Rating) A top tier Nashville area course
- RAW BEAUTY - Standing on tee (1) and looking down fairway, I knew right away that this was going to be an awesome course. Some of the most photogenic holes in all of Nashville. Hole (9) is one of those holes where I think most players will drop their bag the first time through and stand in awe. The tee shot on (9) is a heavily wooded valley shot over an occasional wetlands area and it finishes in some jutting bedrock. Easily the signature hole for this course and perhaps best shot looking tee shot in the metro area. The last 3 finishing holes are all beautifully manicured heavily wooded lines. A great way to finish a layout. Overall, Sharp Springs is right up there with best looking courses in Nashville, along with Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks and Cane Ridge.
- UNIQUENESS - For a par 54, the variety is outstanding. A nice mixture of heavily wooded and openish holes. Holes twist every which way and there are several nice looking down shots. Hole (13) is a very unique play where the monster arms can throw a power flick up into the wind and sail it over the 75 foot tall trees. Whereas us mortals have to try and hook it threw a small gap. The biggest omission is the exclusion of a true multi-play hole. Although some of pin placements felt like short par 4s.
- CHALLENGING - This is not a cupcake course. Lots of shot shaping opportunities, and the magicians among us will be pleased. Also a few power plays, with one hole even requiring a 500 foot bomb. Seasoned Recreational players will rarely break par 54 out here. IMO the challenge aligns best for those between a 900 and 950 rating and it requires a balance of power and finesse. Hitting some of the lines out here will be exhilarating and the challenge was personally rewarding to me as an Intermediate level player.
- CHARACTER - Solid basics and a few extras. To start big course map and community board near tee (1). Nice sized concrete tees that are 5 feet wide by 10 feet long. Well built tee signage and with pin placement indicators to the numerous extra basket placements. Navigation was sort of a mess in a few spots during my play, but the course was wrapping up construction around a few holes so I gave it a pass. Baskets are DISCatchers in great shape. Benches are at a majority of the holes and there's tee shading at most as well. The only item I truly wished the course had was multiple tees to make the course more user friendly. This in turn would also provide additional play options.

Cons: Other than my displeasure with a few lines, an all around solid course.
- DESIGN OF A FEW HOLES - A few unrealistic lines IMO. Hole (10s) tunnel shot is near impossible to birdie without a long throw in to both basket placement B and C. Hole (16s) far pin placement is asinine, and it will require the disc to be carried to make it to the basket clean.
- OVERGROWTH - I spent a significant amount of time searching for errant discs. Even a few of the early open holes had tall grasses to swallow up discs. A group of 4 could spend over 30 minutes combined searching.
- POISON IVY - The poison ivy was heavy in several spots on my appearance. I don't take off rating points for this, but come prepared if you are not immune. I wish I had worn pants. Probably snakes and ticks too which is typically of the wooded courses in this region.
- LOCATION - The course is tucked deep into the park.
- LACK OF ELEVATION - I personally was expecting more considering the other courses in the region. less than 25 feet on any one hole. Still better than 90 percent of the 110 Florida courses I've played.
- TIME PLAY - Considering the amount of searching, this course could take an exceedingly long time to play. Perhaps 3 hours for recreational foursomes. Solos probably at 90 minutes.

Other Thoughts: Sharp Springs is definitely one of the better Nashville area courses. I've now played all five of the top rated DGCR Nashville courses and personally have it as the 3rd best. Not too far behind both Cedar Hill and Seven Oaks. I do have it just ahead of Cane Ridge, but I have a feeling that Cane has now leaped ahead as well, as my review for that course was early in its development. Sharp Springs unfortunately only has the one set of tees, so it's not going to appeal to newer players thru novice level. However, seasoned players from outside the area will likely be highly entertained with the mix of power plays, fun ace runs and technical mischief.
- JUSTWIN - I threw win new DGCR member and good friend, Justwin. We worked together in Austin TX at an architecture firm and we routinely played at Wells Branch DGC after work. It's funny to note that we both became avid course baggers after resigning from our position at that company.
- CONTRUCTION - I did not take off points as I believe its completed as of this review posting. I had to play some object golf on a few holes (7,8,9,10). I parked the signature wooded water clear shot on (9) and had my playing partner stand over the pole hole for my 12 foot birdie try. Pretty sure we played hole (12) to the practice basket
- NAVIGATION - I gave it a pass. Hard to be critical with construction going on at the time.

Relaxing beauty.

5+    10/16/2016   10/17/2016
Review By: Msouders13
Pros: Quiet, can be a parking lot full of cars and you might not see another person on the course. Great, varied terrain, water shot if you want to (sometimes it plays slightly unfair depending on the pin position as overhang trees can too easily swat discs in the water) but there is an alternate tee/pin if you don't. Just a nice course. Deserves its 4 stars.
Cons: Some holes are really hard to 3 let alone birdy.
Other Thoughts: Slowly becoming my favorite course in middle Tennessee. Always improving and just a good layout/mature area.

One of TN's bests

1    8/15/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: 3Throws of the Condor
This review was updated on 2/18/2018
Pros: Great variety of holes long/short left/right uphill/downhill open/dense woods. A bad shot at any time can cost you your par with few exceptions. Multiple basket locations ( all have 2 except #6 and quite a few have 3) but single tee pads (which I prefer). Each different basket location makes for a completely different hole instead of just adding 50-150 ft. to the original hole. The courses is very well maintained and basket locations get rotated regularly. Most of the more open holes have corn fields bordering them which is not much of a hazard except mid to late summer when the corn is 8 to 10 feet tall like it is now 8/22 . There are also alternate holes for #3 and #9 for players who want to avoid the water. You can easily play this as a 20 hole course if you want to. #9 in the "A" position is probably considered the signature hole for this course although I really like #1 and #10. I'm a Sr. Grand Master so not much distance so best I've ever done here is 58 plus 4. Configured to its most difficult only excellent players would be shooting under par on this course consistently. If your in the Nashville area make it to this course you won't regret it. There is a little gas station/convenience store (Gils Market) that sells discs near park entrance and is very supportive of disc golf. Two new holes 15a and 15b deucable but errant tee-shots can easily turn into a 4. 15a has concrete pad 15b is natural at present. also have added 2nd practice basket so you can easily make this a 22 or 24 hole course with very little walking between holes
Cons: Need benches at the holes that are missing them. The skeeters can be really bad although 2016 has been unusually calm on that front.
Other Thoughts: Looks like they'll be adding 2 more holes to the original layout. Hopefully an additional 18 hole course can be added.

Extremely challenging. Broke me mentally a few times.

5+    7/13/2016   8/14/2016
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Sharp Springs is an extremely challenging course offering a ton of variety. It has it all: woods, open bombs, water carries, multiple pin placements, and even alternate holes for the beginners to avoid the water. The original baskets have held up the test of time and catch well. There is new signage throughout the course.

The rock formation on hole 9 creates a fun ace run. The corn creates and out of bounds line for several holes during a tournament and league play.
Cons: Slight elevation.
Hole 16 is a poke and hope in the long positions.
Hole 6 had to be moved making it a straighter shot due to players trying to retrieve discs from the neighboring turd factory.
Other Thoughts: I heard a rumor the baskets were going to be replaced by new Prodigy baskets. Ugghhh. It'd be a waste to replace the current baskets. That could downgrade my rating in the future.

My new double with Cedar Hill

2-4    8/5/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros:
- The available land is quite varied, and the course design makes good use of the topography. There are open holes, wooded holes, water holes, cornfield holes =)

- Good variety within the layout. Holes didn't feel repetitive.

- Large concrete teepads, in good shape.

- High quality baskets.

- Very nice signs which include distance and topographical map of hole.

- Multiple possible pin placements allowing for variety between rounds (which appears to be a staple of Nashville courses, but not everywhere so definitely worth mentioning)

- Alternate teepads for the water holes.

- Flow from hole to hole was good, no trouble navigating the course as first timers (once we found hole 1 lol).

- Practice putting basket

- Big field to warm up the arm before your round

- Course loops back around to the parking lot after hole 11.

- The park it's located in was attractive and looked to be well maintained. Course has been nicely mowed both times I've played it. The entire course looked well taken care of.

- Has some memorable holes, most notably the water holes.
Cons:
I have to get pretty nit-picky to find negatives about this course. Here's the worst I could come up with:

- Not much elevation change available here. There's one long downhill hole, but mostly it's pretty flat.

- Some of the open holes could have been a bit more imaginative in their design in order to create better risk/reward scenarios.

- No pars. Evidently no one in Nashville believes in the concept of par, because every course I play has all these varying pin placements in all different distances, with no varying pars. Example: if position A on hole 10 (276 ft) is par 3, there's no way that position C (420 ft) should be par 3. "Everything is par 3" is a copout. Ball golf doesn't do that, and disc golf will be held back as long as this mentality prevails.

- I wouldn't have minded a little more length. Or perhaps just more baskets in the long positions.
- This is my 2nd favorite course in Nashville behind Cedar Hill. It will likely become my regular doubleheader on my trips down there.

- Truth be told, I would have rated this course a 4.25 if I could have. I like it better than other course I've given a 4.0, but I don't like it quite as much as other 4.5 courses. Waffling between the two I decided to go with the higher number because I feel it's current 3.93 aggregate rating is a little too low.

- I've played this course twice this summer and haven't had any trouble with insects as some others have mentioned.

- Others have also mentioned some very thick rough, which I also hadn't noticed. The fairways are not tough to stay on. They aren't punitively narrow. That being said, I wouldn't bring a newer player to this course. There are better beginner courses in Nashville.

- Cornfields! It's funny the things that amuse us, but this was the first course of the 40 I've played with cornfields on it. It was kinda neat, kinda gives it a little different feel. (I'm sure this point would not apply to visitors from Iowa).

Variety in Nashville

5+    4/5/2014   4/9/2014
Review By: tampabay
Pros: Variety - I feel like every hole is so unique at this course. There are only two or three that felt similar. I love the different feel of every hole. I also enjoy that they have a lot of the trademark holes of a good course, the long bomber, the tight woods, the water hole, the downhill hole, a hole where you have to go over the top.

Woods - I love wooded courses and this one seemed to have just the right amount of woods. I really enjoyed holes 16-18 and I felt they had true fairways but they were still tight. This course does a good job of having long challenging holes, (1&2 in the longs, 16&17).

Location - Part of why this course is awesome is because they picked an awesome place to put it. This course is at a multi-purpose park but I can't think of any holes where there is any interference. Very well designed. Teepads/signs are all very good. The land the course is built on is just beautiful.

Difficulty - The difficulty on this course is varying, and I really appreciate that. A perfect example is hole 3. There is an alternate that plays over water that is a fairly short shot, but you have to make a gap or your disc will fall in the water. 3a however is probably only a 200-225 shot but it has such a tight fairway, albeit a very clear one, that it is a challenging 3. There are also plenty of holes that are long, wooded, and even a hole that forces you to go over the top. It has it all, woods, water, tight fairways, doglegs, distance, elevation.
Cons: Traffic - I don't know if this is fair to list as a con, but this course is always packed. There is only one other course within about an hour and this one is always slammed.

These are the differences I'd need to see to give this a 4.5-5, I think this is an incredible course.

Distance - I'd like to see a few wooded holes that were a little bit longer. I really liked the wooded holes but I wish they had a few more long tight tunnels.

Alternate pins - There were a few, but I wish they had more alternate pins that changed the hole completely. For example, hole 1 has alternate pins but it just makes it a little bit harder with the same starting shot. I enjoy the alternate pins they do have but I'd like a few more that were a little creative.

Mosquitoes - There is literally nothing the course can do about this. I'm leaving this purely as a warning.

Other Thoughts: My cons are very nit picky. I would give this course a 4.25, I wish it was a little bit longer and had a few changes, but I love this course. Very good course, second best in the Nashville area in my opinion (Cedar is #1 in my book). I think the local club has done an amazing job with this course. Very very good course. I also agree that it could have a little more elevation, but I think they do a great job with what they have.

A must play course

2-4    2/1/2014   2/11/2014
Review By: Vibramterraius
This review was updated on 4/9/2014
Pros: Parking area is good. The course is well maintained. Tees are some of the best in the area. Holes are adapted to most skill levels offering some short and some long throws to be made. Multiple basket placements makes it more fun to play.
Cons: Popularity of this course means that it can be very busy especially on weekends. Signs some are good and some are just not good. Can be a bit confusing to find the next hole. Some areas are almost too thick to wade through if you land in the rough.
Other Thoughts: Target 1: Throwing a decent anhyzer here will get you set up nice for the next throw where you could birdie.

Target 2: Though it is pretty much a straight inline throw if you hyzer here it can get you into trouble and make the disc hard to locate.

Target 3: Over water requires a decent hyzer throw some canopy can interfere you'll need waders if your throw don't make it. There's an alternate target non-water here too.

Target 4: Open throw here but as the seasons progress and foliage thickens hyzers will send you into a field of mess. Anhyzer too.much and your into rough wooded area. Distance driver is good to throw on this one.

Target 5: Target B requires a well placed anhyzer to reach it. If you makea bad throw here the rough isn't what punishes you as much as the trees blocking the way. Fairway driver or good midrange throw can set you up for a birdie.

Target 6: Allows you to throw long but much like #5 a hyzer will land you in the field which isn't a good place to be as the weather warms. Anhyzer can put youover a fenced area which make disc recovery a memorial experience. Distance driver good choice here.

Target 7: Begins open and abruptly funnels into woods with the target placed just inside the wooded area. Distance driver or faiway driver can reach this one but has the disc spins down trees come into play too.

Target 8: Well wooded targets although basically two paths to both target placements if you are going for the shorter distance then use an understable midrange and take the same path for the longer target.

Target 9: Big over the water throw likely the most challenging target on this course. Large rocks guard the face of the target. It gives an appearance of being.fairly open but there is enough wood and canopy hazards to interfere. Some times the deep sink hole here is without water other times its like a pond of mud. A flat stable throw with a distance driver will get you there but expect a birdie at best or use alternate tee.

Target 10: Distance or Fairway driver will reach here. Targets require holding a slight hyzer line. Just enough wood to deflect a disc that strays of line.

Target 11: Mostly open dog leg right with target unguarded as well. Off the tee to the right is woods and runs opposite and parallel to #10. Gravel access road is part of the fairway here too. Some use rollers here others keep throwing. Either way an anhyzer is needed to reach the target.

Target 12: An island of trees and rough guard the shorter distance target. The longer target is more open. Distance drivers work well here. Setting the throw to hyzer or follow the line of a gravel access road which curves along the right side of this target will help you get to the shorter target. Using a driver going left of the island with an slight anhyzer throw is a better choice for the long range target.

Target 13: Thirteen has a sharp dog leg right which requires a throw through a funnel of woods on each side of the fairway. The trees are tall so going over them is not really an option. Add to this that the.distance to the funnel area requires a disc to break early into an anhyzer. Some choose to try to cut over the edge of the right most trees. Others try to place the disc at the mouth of the funnel the use the second throw as a birdie attempt. Yet many try to work through with an anhyzer. The best throw I've witnessed here was using a slight anhyzer but throwing higher towards the left side of the funnel. This allowed the disc to slow and breal early into an anhyzer which glided through the funnel and onto the fairway on the otherside. It left the thrower with about a 50 ft. Putt to the target.

Target 14: Mostly open and straight. Distance or FW driver can reach.

Target 15: This is a favorite of many. An elevated tee offers a great throwing view to a wide open to the shorter target. You really get a graphic look athow your disc reacts when you throw as the complete unobstructed glide can be observed. The longer target offers a par 4 is only obstructed by the small island of tree in the middle of the fairway and just behind the shorter target. Use your snipper disc and let loose on 15.

Target 16: Narrow fairway that begins open then doglegs right and the target becomes more wooded. Requires a good throw with an anhyzer to get you in range of the target. Using the first throw to set up for a better approach throw is a.safe bet.

Target 17:
Straight and narrow fairway that is well wooded. Use of a distance driver with slow hyzer should land the disc close to the target.

Target 18: The final target again is well wooded and using an understable driver that glides late into a hyzer can find it's way home.

Really there are too many good points to this course to even focus on the negative ones. Overall it is an excellent course to play and offers a fair enough challenge to keep you coming back for even more fun and depending on how your throw is the day you play it can issue some punishment as well.

Forgot how great this course is

5+    10/23/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: Declarkus
Pros: Multiple pin placements w/ great signage, well maintained, great variety, benches on every hole.
Cons: Located in a swamp so it can be soggy at times, and the mosquitoes in the summer keeps me from coming here all the time. I actually think they're attracted to deet.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course. I rank it #2 in the Nashville area to Cedar Hill. There as been a lot of work done since I last played a year or so ago, and its really improved footing and appearance. Its a challenge, but its fair.

Troll's Review

1    10/15/2013   10/17/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 18 holes
multiple pin placements
Long warm up hole/practice basket
Well maintained
Great lay out and landscape, mix up, open to woods, to hills, to water, great design
privacy
great scenery!
Water hazards
Cons: Not much to say, I guess on the first hole, there were some large vines that looked like they were being preserved, but, I feel that it could be eliminated... its killing the trees, and eventually will die too..
Other Thoughts: This was my favorite in Nashville, still no Mt. Airy!
I know that some people(where I live) don't like the reviews I give.... Well, take a trip to Nashville. I compare courses to the whole world, not just my locality. Obviously, with Nashville's 3 to 4 different disc golf clubs, plethora of great courses... Its sad to say but Cincinnati is lacking behind

Big Brother of Rutherford Counties Barfield Course

2-4    7/22/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: The Uncle
Pros: Long yardage holes, Mach 5 baskets in good condition, well maintained, great mix of long, short, wooded, open, and difficulty.
Cons: Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos. Unfortunately its been bad the 2 times I have played but apparently is better in the fall or early spring.
Other Thoughts: I tossed some plastic in a tree that required me to use about 20 mins to get down and I was overwhelmed with bug bites and it ended my round as soon as it started. I'll be back.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5