San Marcos, CA
CSU San Marcos DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #3 (Taken 1/2016)

< Prev 1 2 3
Not a Good Time

1    5/15/2020   5/15/2020
Review By: endermetal
This review was updated on 6/14/2020
Pros: CSU San Marcos is a free to play course that plays around and within the university campus. Holes 1-8 and 16-18 are situated on the outskirts of the campus while the middle holes play near the quad.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, there are only a handful of courses open in San Diego county. I was pleasantly surprised to find this course not only open, but basically empty when I played on a Friday afternoon. (Edit: I'm not certain if the course is open or not. While the baskets were installed and I didn't see any signs saying the course was closed, I noticed the SD Aces website lists it as closed. My apologies if the course was technically closed when I played.) I initially planned to play Kit Carson, but I found there were several large groups playing, and I surmised it would have been difficult to maintain appropriate social distance at Kit Carson.

There are a few notable positives to CSU San Marcos: The baskets are still relatively new and great catching Innova Discatchers, the teepads are evenly poured concrete, and the signs are colorful infographics. Otherwise, there's not many positive things I can say about this course.
Cons: Holes 1-6 were unplayable because of 4 foot weeds growing everywhere. If you're going to play these holes then good luck! Locating your disc on a shanked drive would be nearly impossible. The weeds were overgrown on some of the teepads, making a run-up difficult.

Navigation was difficult, which is putting it mildly. The course map I found on the CSU website was outdated, so I had to use a YouTube video for help... and even with the visual aid, navigation was still a problem, with many long walkouts between holes. (UPDATE: There are QR codes you can scan on the tee signs to bring up an interactive course map. I, unfortunately, overlooked this...)

Most of the holes are extremely beginner friendly with minimal challenge or creative shot-shaping required. I ended up shooting a -7 while skipping the first 6 holes, and I'm an intermediate level player.

Hole 15's basket was pulled and I was unable to locate the new position. The original hole 15 seemed like a fun, albeit dangerous shot, so I understand why they removed this hole.
Other Thoughts: CSU San Marcos feels like a shoehorned disc golf project; the terrain does not lend itself well to a disc golf course. Several of the holes were unplayable. I did not enjoy myself.

I was able to find street parking on Industrial St and was able to save myself a few bucks by walking a few blocks instead of paying for parking at the campus lot.

Only with serious renovations, upgraded landscaping, and a course redesign would I consider checking out this course again. It pains me to say this, but this is the worst course I've played in San Diego County, and I've played a majority of them.

2-4    8/2/2019   8/25/2019
Review By: Nate32
Pros: CSU San Marcos DGC is a 18 hole disc golf course located on the CSU San Marcos University. The campus is beautiful but some of the holes are interesting. Tee pads are great made out of concrete and are looking great. Tee signs are very colorful and very easy to see. Some of the holes do have rubber tee pads though. Baskets are Discatchers and are looking great.

Hole 9 is my favorite hole just because it is a very fun downhill backhand hyzer shot. The Quad holes are very fun little technical shots that play in the quad. Hole 11's tee box was removed and put in a different location.

So this course does get maintained on some of the back holes there is a back basket on hole 13. I came there once and it was in the first position. I came a second time it was in the back position. So its not like they are just keeping it in one position.

Hole 15 was removed. I think they removed it due to people almost getting hit because there are walkaways to classrooms cutting right over this hole. This hole I kind of wished they kept though. That hole looked very fun in the picture. The new hole 15 was placed on the side of the parking lot. This hole is fun but the old hole 15 was much better.

Hole 16 is a great little short hole right on the back side of campus. Hole 17 is the same thing but watch out for rattle snakes. Hole 18 is a great downhill shot that plays right to the basket.

Hole 1 was replaced because of construction but I do not think they bothered to replace hole 2.
Cons: Map is very key on your first time playing because some holes are very far a part from each other. Also there were rattle snake warnings on the first tee which makes it seems like there are a few. I would stay away from the rocks on the first 3 holes. The second hole was removed by construction. Although I could see the basket in the construction site and it was overgrown by some weeds.

Some of the landscapers were mowing the grass so I had to skip one of the holes. Hole 14 is overgrown on both sides with these nasty bushes that will eat your disc. I almost lost one of my discs in that bush. Unless you absolutely pure the gap.

Hole 17 is a little more overgrown and I believe the basket is blind but I cannot remember. Some hedges on some holes need to be cut. It is a VERY long walk back to your car. I kind of wish they designed this course as a loop. Although, I do think this course is for the students to play in their free time on campus.
Other Thoughts: Although this course is somewhat interesting I do think it needs some work. Various rattle snake warnings on the back side and front side makes it seem like there are a couple roaming around. The course map is very helpful on your first time there. VERY far walks in-between holes.

For example Hole 8 is nowhere near hole 9. You have to walk up to get to the entrance circle then walk to the tee. Not very fun on your first time there.

Although the pictures are a little old this course has gone through a landscape phase. They have made some big changes to how many trees and bushes there are now.

My favorite holes are the quad holes. These holes are very fun unless school is in session. Then this course can get busy.

2-4    8/2/2019   8/5/2019
Review By: Pierparknut
Pros: -This course winds its way throughout the campus of California State University, San Marcos. There's quite a mix of holes, from open shots without a worry in the way to short, tricky holes right in center campus.

-Excellent hardware: concrete tee pads, Innova Discatcher baskets, and full color tee signs displaying each of two hole locations as well as a QR code linked to the interactive course map.

-It's a nice walk. Holes 6-8 play next to the athletic fields, and holes 9-14 traverse the central part of campus. The center-campus holes are a great spot for a college student or a nearby resident to get in some quality short-game work.

-Holes 16 and 18 are the best holes on the course. Both are downhill RHBH hyzer shots in the back section of campus, behind the parking garage. They are great holes to run several times in hope of an ace.

-The first seven holes, while void of obstacles, range from 200-400 feet. Sometimes, having nothing in the way is a challenge in itself as there's no frame of reference to dial in your distances.
Cons: -This university is only 30 years old and is continually evolving. After reading past reviews and then playing the course, it's clear that several holes have been re-routed and several more have been compromised over time. For example, hole 1 has been moved and hole 2 is currently closed due to construction of a new foot bridge over Barham Drive, hole 15 has been moved next to the parking garage, and hole 11 now requires a straight up and down shot due to the giant agave plant growing right in front of the tee.

-Holes 10-14 are serious safety concerns when college is in session. There's a rule against sharp-edged discs on these holes, but all it would take is a slight misfire or a concealed pedestrian to cause an accident. I was not particularly impressed by the awkward shots required on these holes.
Other Thoughts: -I highly recommend using the interactive course map. Navigation is not intuitive and there are many long walks between holes (Parking garage to hole 1, hole 6-7, hole 8-9, hole 14-15). Thank you very much to whoever keeps this map up to date.

-The first seven holes could really be improved by planting a couple dozen trees. As-is, every hole can be attacked with a spike hyzer. However, the university may plan to eventually develop this property.

-Don't visit with the expectation of playing the full 18 holes. Holes 1-6 and 15-18 are the only holes that are reliably playable, and consequently play over rough, barren terrain. Holes 7 and 8 are probably off limits during sports games, and holes 10-14 play through areas with heavy foot traffic. Weekend evenings and school breaks are the best times to play.

Short course in college

1    1/17/2015   2/11/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Variety of distances. Back ten holes are well kept. Front 8 is good distance. Good tees. Hole signs are good. Back 10 is well lit by the campus. Good for beginners. No one plays it so you can play fast if you know where to go.
Cons: Front 8 is not well kept. Back 10 is very short. Some holes are hard to find. Some hole signs are missing. Located in college so there is a large risk of hitting people. Going from hole 8 to 9 is confusing. Front 8 lacks trees. The layout of the course differs from the map at the number 1 tee. (hole 16 was moved to where 17 and 18 are. Plus other differences). Some tees are just two markes on the side walk. (Hole 15 is hard to find).
Other Thoughts: Front 8 is located down by the baseball feild. Back 10 winds through the campus. Good course to play if you go to college here. I would recommend playing Kit Carson park instead.

A Tale Of Two Courses

1    3/30/2014   3/31/2014
This review was updated on 7/8/2014
Pros: THE CSU San Marcos DGC seems more like two distinct courses. The first eight holes and the last three play through these dusty, , wide open wind swept fields using nothing but length as an obstacle. The middle holes of the course are squeezed into the inner parts of the campus quite cleverly making for some quite interesting although short ACE possibilities.

The course features DIScatcher baskets, great tee signs featuring colorful maps, PARs, distance, etc. The tee pads on the field holes are concrete although maybe a bit short. On the campus holes, you're mostly teeing off from sidewalks although they are in some places cleverly marked with these little round SCU San Marcos markers which are inbedded in the sidewalks.
The campus holes were my favorites featuring many fun little ACE runs. # 9 was a simple little 201' downhill shot. # 10 is a 153' uphill shot requiring an anhyser throw. # 11 is just a 128' ACE run when there are no co-eds blocking the throw. # 12 sign says it's 264' but I think it's much shorter. The basket here sits right in the middle of probably the campus' most popular lawn gathering and meeting spot. # 13 is a 163' uphill ACE run while # 14 is a great 178' throw just waiting to be ACED.

Then you come to the signature hole on this course, IMO, # 15 is just a simple little flick/touch shot over a railing, 141' to a basket kinda hidden behind a tree. You can throw a simple little tomahawk for a birdie or an anhyser around the tree for the ACE attempt. Fun little throw!

The course then ends with 16-18 on the far side of the parking garage. # 16 has been re-located due to the construction of a new campus building due to open in fall of 2014.
Cons: The open fields holes fairly boring. The terrain here is ugly. There's a sign at the beginning warning you to watch out for rattlesnakes.
Holes 7 & 8 are closed when there is a track meet in progress.

The campus holes 9-15 would be nearly impossible to play when students are present. I played on Sunday morning and no-one was around. It also might have been the Sunday of spring break.
Other Thoughts: This is actually not a bad little course for a college campus. It would expose a lot of students to disc golf. I'm a little worried that exposure might just be drilling one in the forehead with an approach shot of the campus holes. I sincerely hope the San Marcos student disc golfers are considerate players and are willing to skip holes when students are present. I'd hate to bypass # 15 anytime. I love that little toss!

fun time

1    3/14/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: hyper_hippo18
Pros: -has fun short and long holes
-beautiful scenery
-fun if you are a student there
Cons: -def not good during school hours
-some of the short throws feel useless, like why even put a hole here
-should have a beer start location sign
Other Thoughts: had a great time. could play thru twice. pay to park on campus or risk towing by ralphs...which ever. overall a decent course.

Undy Run at CSUSM

5+    5/16/2012   11/8/2012
Review By: Spmurphy23
Pros: This is a great course for begginers because there are some shorter baskets. It is also free and in beautiful San Marcos where the weather is great. I love playing here in the late afternoon because it sits up on a hill and the view is great. Also it's fun to play during the California State Universities do their annual undy run. 18-25 year old women running around the campus in their underwear. Didn't play well but the view was great!! :)
Cons: It is a little on the easy side which makes it a little boring sometimes. It's hard to access too because it is on the University and parking is bad,

Putter/Midrange holes

1    10/20/2012   10/23/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
Pros: Nice baskets and beautiful campus. I only played the campus holes (holes 7-16). Layout is pretty easy to figure out, but a map may be recommended to play the other holes located on the outskirts of campus. This would be a great course to take a beginner out to or to work on your midrange/putter game (most holes less than 200 ft). Most holes should be birdies for the intermediate to advanced player.
Cons: As an intermediate player, I found these holes to be too short (most holes less than 100-150ft range), which didn't keep my interest. Keep in mind I only played on the holes located within the heart of the campus (which is still a majority of the course). There are a couple of longer holes located on the outskirts of campus. Also you have to pay for parking on campus.
Other Thoughts: Overall I would not go out of my way to play this course again. However if I lived nearby I would definitely come here to improve my midrange and putting game. Another thing me and my friends ended up doing was shooting from other spots besides the official tees. You can get creative and come up with some interesting "unofficial" tee spots (throwing from longer spots, going to the 2nd story of buildings and throwing off, etc...get creative). Since we played at night on a weekend, we had the entire course to ourselves and were free to do as we pleased. The campus is lit at night, but a flashlight is recommended if you decide to play in the evening. Since I didn't want to pay for parking, I parked at the CVS located across the street from campus and walked in. It was another 5-7 minute walk into campus, no biggie. I've read its advisable to either play here at nights or on the weekends to avoid the student crowd and this is probably due to the fact that a majority of the holes cut through campus. Worth checking out at least once if you're in the area, otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to play this course.

Fun course to play

2-4    3/12/2011   6/26/2012
Review By: patdb23
This review was updated on 7/25/2018
Pros: The Discatcher baskets and signs are new and look really nice. Open course with a few obstacles on a college campus. Fun course to play with friends while traversing around the campus. Really like some of the shorter holes to test out putter control tee shots.
Cons: n/a
Other Thoughts: Thank you San Diego Aces.

Mixed Bag

1    7/6/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - Scenic course that winds through the campus. Definitely a change of pace from your average public park DG course.

- Fairly simple navigation with good tee signs and good tees.

- It's a fun course for beginners with the potential to introduce the sport to thousands of potential new disc golfers.

- Good use of obstacles and elevation where available.

- Baskets are new and in great shape.
Cons: - Some of the holes are super short, however if you approach 9-16 as putter only it can still be interesting.

- Major safety concerns with the campus holes. Holes shooting over stairways waiting for a student to round a corner. It is acceptable provided everyone uses putters or round edge mids but if some newb trys to throw a katana 150' around a blind corner they can have a serious problem.

- It lacks the wow factor to bring me back, but I'd still play if if I lived close.
Other Thoughts: It's a fun change of pace to play on a college campus and it is a good opportunity to give the sport more exposure.

I appreciate the work that went into putting a course here and I love the DG vibe in this area, but I'll probably stick to the other courses nearby.

< Prev 1 2 3