Fall Branch, TN
Harmon Hills Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 12/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Good, not spectacular

1    8/13/2019   10/13/2019
Review By: Trilogy4
Pros: The property is beautiful.
The "extras" such as the tire basket are fantastic.
The farm dog was great and loves to play fetch.
Cons: One of my fondest memories is of the dog, not the course.
A lot of distance shots to set up another distance shot or a routine upshot.
I threw very few lines.
Kinda boring other than being aesthetically pleasing.
Other Thoughts: I've played many of the "top courses" on the eastern side of the U.S. (maple hill, idlewild, Winthrop ropes, new world, etc), and this course just simply doesn't measure up. That may have been the issue with my experience. My expectations could have been too high. Whatever the case, the course wasn't great to me. It was good (hence I rated it as such), so dont think it's not worth visiting. Just also dont expect elite unless you are prepared to feel let down.

Just to reiterate where it stands in my rankings (for those that plan to travel for destination golf), I will be headed back to maple hill and that's a 10 hour drive for me. I'll also make the 7 hour drive to idlewild again. I will not however, be driving 3 hours back to harmon hills at any point in life.

1    5/23/2019   6/3/2019
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains (do the Appalachians have foothills? I'm going to say yes), the 27 holes have some big distance and big elevation.
The course is mostly wooded but pleasantly ducks in and out of the forest with more than a few wide open areas. I can't remember any holes that didn't have trees come into play.

There are several holes that have some Houck-ian design elements, turning what could be two or three fairways into one epic, multi-shot hole. Hole 6 starts shooting out of a wooded gap on a hill and requires a straight shot to avoid an errant fade into the woods to set up a shot around the corner and up a steep hill. Then it's over a plateau into another narrow gap to hit a basket maybe 100 feet into the woods. It's a 720-foot monster.

Hole 10 is a fun open blast down the hill to land on an upslope on an upslope. You then have to manage a shot over the hill to set yourself up for a left-to right approach to the basket. Fun, tough hole.

Navigation from one hole to the next (as opposed to navigating a particular fairway -more on that in a second) was pretty easy.

On a Thursday before a holiday weekend, I had the course completely to myself.
Cons: Doglegs. Normally this would be a "pro" for me. When used well, they add some nice flavor to the course. But the designer here fell in love with the dogleg and never got over it, even when the dogleg said, "You need to move on! We can't be together anymore! I'm in love with another designer!". I can only think of two or three holes out of the 27 where I could see the basket from the tee. It got old. It felt like a comedian who heard people laugh and then just kept telling the same joke.

Lost discs. I spent over 45 minutes looking for discs, and I was generally staying in the fairway. The owner was mowing when I played, and it probably would have been a little better the next day. But it wasn't just the grass in the fairways, but the thick weeds lining nearly every fairway (or the 3-foot tall grass that popped up next to or in the middle of fairways). I know there is no way to weedwhack this sort of property, but I have never spent so much time looking for discs after good drives.

Navigation. The holes are long, and many times I threw my drive and then couldn't tell where I was supposed to go next. The hole 6 I mentioned earlier? Case in point. It was really tough to tell where my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots were supposed to go.

Tee pads. They are concrete, but narrow and fairly short.

The final 9 are a little underwhelming after the front 18. Some of them are very good holes, but they felt repetitive.
Oh, and there are a couple U-shaped holes on the course. I've never played a U-shaped hole I enjoyed. Holes 13 and 27 are garbage holes. It's disappointing to finish on a hole like that.
Other Thoughts: As of this writing, I've played 8 of the current top 10 courses (and 15 of the top 25). If you're like me, you've spent many evenings dreaming of when you'd get to travel to the specific part of the country that would let you play those courses ("when am I going to be passing through Knoxville?"). This course is not a top 10 course, and at no point did I consider giving it a 5.0. So many courses have left me blown away in a way that Harmon Hills didn't quite. I believe a highly rated course should be able to stand up to some honest feedback, even if it's an overall great course (and it is).

Enough criticism, though. This is an excellent course with some imagination and challenge. I coupled this with a trip to Great Smoky Mountain National Park and am glad I did on both accounts.

Harmon Hills DGC

5+    9/24/2017   5/6/2019
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Everything about this course is amazing!
Cons: No real cons for this course, just some small areas where improvements could be made. Maybe with new tee pads and more informative tee signs.
Other Thoughts: Harmon Hills DGC... if you have heard of this course and haven't played it yet, what are you waiting on? This is East Tennessee's true gem. As home of the 2017 USWDGC, this course lives up to all the hype. There are 27 Holes on this course, all with concrete tees and tee signs. This course has the best mix of literally everything you could ever ask for in hole designs. Beautiful scenery, professionally designed course, and a huge test for your skills... at any level of play! One of the most impressive things about this course in my opinion, is the fact that each of the 9 holes end at the same area. You can play 1-9 and start/finish where you parked. You can play 10-18 and start/finish where you parked. And you can play 19-27 and start/finish where you parked. This shows how well the course was designed and you will notice that on every single hole. If you live anywhere near East Tennessee, don't waste anymore time without yourself having played this course. If you are well outside the area, this is still definitely a course you need to add to your bucket list! Do yourself a favor and make sure you play this course! If you want to see this course on video, check out the playlist of videos below...

Farm Discing Is The Life For Me...

1    10/3/2018   10/3/2018
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 1/12/2019
Pros: Beautiful rustic hilly private mountain farm course. Every hole here has elevation changes, some with multiple elevation changes. The course features mature trees and a good variety of hole types and lengths (though it leans towards the long side). The concrete tees were better than expected, and the tee signs were adequate. The course offers a healthy challenge and will appeal to those of mid to higher skill levels. There are plenty of benches to take a break on. There are Gnomes on the course judging you. There are other cool features like the disc golf sculpture by hole 10.
Cons: Sure, the course could use some updates, like new tees. The rough is tough in spots. There are blind basket placements. The grass was wet and a little tall when we played it. But these nags are minor and should not dissuade anyone from playing here, except for new/rec players and those of weak constitution, which might want to avoid this course anyway. There are a few red tees sprinkled around, but most were not in or were hard to find.
Other Thoughts: This is an epic level course that could be a five if it wanted too. It's a private course though, so they can do whatever they want. Thanks for the privilege of throwing here. Well done!

Good restaurant alert: The nearby Rooster Robs has some of the best home cooking around. It will remind you of having dinner at grandmas house.

The old man who can beat you up

2-4    7/14/2018   7/15/2018
Review By: blake833
This review was updated on 6/9/2019
Pros: Harmon Hills has been on my wish list for a long time, and it did not disappoint! This is one of the most unique courses I've ever played, and loved that it was three different nine hole loops. Each loop was pretty unique, especially the 19-27 final nine.

Holes 1-9 were probably my favorite. Big open shots around hills and patches of forest, through big openings in the woods on a couple holes too. Of the three loops, has the highest par (34, while the other two are at 33), but feels so much longer than one stroke. Holes 10-18 were on the other side of the house on similar land, and also make excellent use of the rolling hills of Harmon. The Final Nine are the tightest and most technical as they chew you up and spit you out in the woods across the street. But they also, have some incredible holes.

There are features on this course I just don't think I've seen anywhere else. Valley shots are one thing, but craters in the forest are another. The long par 4s and 5s were more exciting than on some courses where it's just a length problem (don't go there you guys). There were a couple signs on some of the longer holes that helped you figure out which way the fairway went on blind throws, which really helped.

Some 27 hole courses, or even most courses over 18 holes, really make me grateful that 18 is the standard. Harmon is the exception. There were a couple holes I did not like, but I with they were different rather than not there at all.
Cons: There is however a lot of room for improvement at Harmon Hills, and it's the fact that there is so much room for improvement that keeps it from being a 5.

The tee pads really need to be updated. Most of them are not big enough for a full run up needed on the big throws, and the ground isn't level enough to start off the tee pad. The hole signage was also terrible. I was lucky enough to play what I'm assuming is soon after a tournament while the temporary signs were still up on the first 18. Even then I couldn't figure out where the basket was going to be on some of these holes.

Most top-notch, best-of-the-best courses nowadays not only have phenomenal hole design, but great tee pads and signage. I completely understand why 10-15 years ago this would have been one of the absolute best in the country, and still is in many ways. But it's going to take using some of those course donations (to which I did contribute) for some higher standard pads and tees to see this course as one of those near-flawless 5.0 courses.

Hole 27 is one of the least satisfying finish holes I've played. The whole final 9 I thought was a little tight in some places (not just because of summer growth, but super small gaps 150ft from the tee), but 27 is just a big C shape. On my last hole, after a long semi-frustrating round, I want to let it rip. Or throw over some water. I want to see something nice to keep in mind as I leave the course. This one just missed that for me.
Other Thoughts: A total par of 100 is a long day. Be prepared to have some water on you, and pace yourself. It's totally worth playing each loop, but consider their differences when picking your order.

I would love to see Harmon Hills get all doll'd up with new pads and new signs with accurate hole maps and info. That would take the experience of playing some of the best holes on purely picturesque land to the next level, and really I think give it a new life. Disc golf is growing, and course standards keep getting raised in the modern version of the sport. Harmon Hills' holes seem to have been premoniscient of this growth direction, and it's time for the equipment to match the level of play this course reaches. I think that explains the difference in the course rating when you filter reviews for just Trusted Reviewers- it reflects just that little desire for polish, and poise. As of right now this course is the old dog that you love and is your companion. But it needs a bit of love to get back to show-dog status.

Exceptional Variety and Beauty

1    4/21/2018   7/12/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.305 Rating) A 27 hole, par 100 layout, that will entertain just about every veteran player in the game.
- UNIQUENESS - The hole to hole variety at Harmon Hills is almost unparalleled. Up shots, down shots, left hooks, right hooks, valleys, ridges, sinkholes and mounds. Heavily wooded and open and everything in between. The way the layout uses the mix of open fields abutted to heavily wooded areas is wonderful. Several tee shots start out wooded and play into an open field only to dive back into a wooded portion. Hole (6) does just this and it's also a 720 foot double dogleg par 5. This is the only time I've ever played a double dogleg par 5 out of 4,326 unique holes I've experienced. In addition, hole (6) starts with a down tee shot, then the next shot is up and the approach shot is back down again. Ie V\ , what an amazing hole. Hole (27) is another monster par 5 that's a 135 degree left turning hole. That's not a typo. The tee shot is down and then it levels at the middle portion only to rise up again. The hole is a continuous tunnel play and it's littered with large rock elements. The hole is only 636 feet long for a par 5, but making a 3 here has probably been attained by less than a handful of players. Harmon Hills will require the use of every shot in a player's arsenal including thumbers and tomahawks to get up the high inclines or to get out the woods from a bad ricochet. The only missing element on this 27 hole layout is water. There are some gouging creek beds on a few holes, most notably on hole (12), but it appears that they are all headwater creeks as every creek bed was dry on my appearance.
- SIGNATURE HOLES - Picking my favorite hole out here is like deciding on which hundred dollar bill to choose out of a stack of them. Between playing and posting this review, my favorite has already changed twice. Right now it's hole (17), but I also loved (1), (3), (6), (7), (11), (12), (14), (19), (24) (25) and (27). Yeah I know, it's a lot. As for holes I didn't care for, (8), (13), (22) which all have a bit of a hokey pokey element to them. All this stated, none of the holes have "blow you away" looks with epic elevation or killer water or amazing backdrop views. In my spreadsheet of my favorite 100 holes, I have hole (17) at 53rd.
- RAW BEAUTY - Piling on the before mentioned pro, the overall beauty is top tier. I can count the number of course I've personally ranked higher on these terms on one hand. I came to Harmon Hills about two weeks too early. The tree buds were just starting to pop on a few tree species. For those that love beautiful courses, I would recommend showing up during the first week of May. I'm not sure when peak fall foliage is in these parts, but that would be another ideal time to show up.
- CHALLENGING - This course requires a great mix of power, precision and shot shaping. Course management is also major key in shooting low. Players that continually go balls to wall, will be punished. I had a goal of shooting an even par 100 as an intermediate level player, but I finished +1 on all three 9 hole loops for a total score of 103, with a couple mullies. There are some definite birdie holes for players at the intermediate level. The third nine reads as the most difficult where the par 3s average 370 feet and these holes are nearly fully wooded. To shoot well out here, a player has to have a complete game. I think that a balanced 950 rated advanced player should average around par out here.
- CHARACTER - Some good stuff but also some work to be done. Seeing brand new color signage for the front 18 was a surprise. Unfortunately they are the vinyl temporary type so they probably won't last thru the year. Most tees are shaded from the elements. If I recall correctly, there was seating on every hole. The baskets were adequate MachVs on the first 18. (Not sure what happened, several recent reviews noted Prodigy). The final 9 woods portion were DISCatchers. There's a practice basket, although located too close to the parking area. The scorecards have a course map on them and they were a life saver for navigation. These are located at tee (1). There's a fridge on the house deck with cold water and there's a porta potty. As for missing items, proper tees and signage for the final 9.
- MAINTENANCE - The front 18 was trash free and completely mowed.
- LOCATION - Although a ways from every city of size, the course is less than 10 minutes from the interstate 81.
- DONATIONS WELCOMED - Harmon Hills is not a pay to play private course. However, anyone that plays here and doesn't throw at least a few bucks into the donation bucket is not a person I'd want to throw with. It's remarkable what the owners have done here without a park's department budget to work with. Please do what you can to support and thank them for their efforts.

Cons: A couple capital investment issues and preferential items.
- TEES - This really is the only item here bringing down the score I've given. The only three wooded courses I have rated higher than Harmon Hills are Rolling Ridge, Hobbs and Inverness. Harmon delivers just about every element these three courses have with the exception of the tees. The surface on many of the tees is questionable and the fact that the dimensions are 10 foot long by 3 foot wide at front and 5 foot wide in the back is very much subpar for even the courses I've rated at the 3.0 level. If Harmon Hills wants to stay as an elite level course it's going to need to address this. I figure it takes about 1 cubic yard of concrete to deliver a championship quality tee. That's roughly forty-five 80# bags, and it will make a 4 inch thick, 5 foot by 13 foot pad that widens to 7 feet in the back. Just for the concrete that's $220 dollars a pad or $6000 for all 27 holes, yikes. However, this is what is takes to stay top tier. Worrying about footing or being dissatisfied with footwork spacing will take away from the experience for many players today.
- SIGNAGE FINAL 9 - Without the scorecard with course map image, navigating (19) thru (27) would be extremely difficult. Other than numbered baskets, there really aren't any navigational aids.
- FORGIVENESS - The first 18 isn't overly punishing to errant shots. There are some good thicket areas not to throw into, but there also lots of thinned out areas as well. The same cannot be said of the final 9. It's a completely different animal with lots heavily wooded tight tunnel fairways. Lots of rocks to damage plastic on as well. On (27) I ricocheted hard left 75 feet in and spent the next 3 shots trying to get out by cutting the corner. Note, although I didn't see any poisonous plants during my April round, this course looks like it could be an offender
- DISCONTINUITY - The final nine is located across the street. More of a note than a con however.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - I personally wouldn't bring a beginner out here or anyone with less than 50 rounds in the bag for that matter. This course was designed for those that have been around for awhile. No beginner I know wants to slog around trees and overgrowth for several hours.
- TERRAIN - IMO, I thought the course was somewhat cart friendly. Probably not the best course for those with knee or joint pain. Perhaps playing just the first 18 and skipping the final 9 would work for those with these issues.
- PARKING - A gravel and natural grass parking lot, and as noted, the practice basket should be moved farther away.
- TIME PLAY - Harmon takes the cake on long rounds, so players need to plan accordingly. This one took me just over 120 minutes solo, the longest of any course I've ever played. I could see a group of four seasoned players playing all 27 in 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Other Thoughts: Harmon Hills is one or the more unique experiences I've ever had. I've never played anything close to a par 100 course with this many special par 4s and par 5s. It's truly a showpiece course that will continue draw in adventurers from all over the eastern United States. I only met the owner Aaron briefly on arrival, and in that short time I could tell that he is fun-loving hospitable owner who's continued to carry the torch for Jerry Harmon. A big thanks to him for his contributions to the sport. As for the course, I have currently placed Harmon Hills as the top course in Tennessee. I've played 6 of the top 10 rated Tennessee courses as of this review and have also researched the others I haven't played. I've concluded that my feeling on this won't change any time soon. Yes, there are some substantial lacking aspects at Harmon Hills, such as tees, signage and a refinement of the final 9. However, there are also killer aspects at well, such as beauty and variety that would blow away many of the higher rated course I've played. Harmon Hills is truly a destination course for the region and beyond.
- NAVIGATION - The scorecard map is a little hard to read, so even with it I still spent an additional 10 minutes walking around aimlessly, mostly on the back. Seems like an easy cheap fix with a few more navigational cues, especially on the back. If scorecard maps are not in the box, I personally would not advise playing the final nine blind.

A Dilemma : Hole Quality vs. Infrastructure Quailty

2-4    4/22/2018   4/22/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: If ever there was a place to consider the quality of the individual holes versus the overall quality of the course, this is it.

To begin with, Harmon Hills offers 27 outstanding holes of disc golf, arranged in three, 9-hole loops. The variation in hole distances is remarkable, from a 177' shorty out to 720' with great distribution of everything in between. At a par of 100 for the 27 holes you can see that there are plenty of par 4 holes and even a couple of par 5's.

The first 18 holes play over beautiful rolling hills with endless combinations of woods and open ground. Many holes begin over open ground and play into the woods, or begin and end in the woods and play over open ground in the middle. Some holes are mostly wooded but nothing extremely tight.

The final 9 holes are across the road in a less hilly but completely wooded area, with much tighter holes. Quite a contrast from the original 18.

Straight shots? Check. Gently curving shots to the right and left? Check. Doglegs? Tunnels? Check and check. Open greens, lightly guarded greens, tightly guarded greens. Check, Check, Check.

The elevation on the course deserves special mention. They've made great use of the rolling hills and you are presented with majestic downhill shots, across the valley shots, over the rise shots, and straight uphill shots. Throw in a creek and a couple of sinkholes and you've got all of the elevation you'll ever need!
Cons: I've had the opportunity to play the Selah Ranch, Trey Texas, and Harmony Bend courses all in the past 5 months, and they have set in my mind what a Top-10, 5-rated course looks like. And while the number and quality of the holes themselves here at Harmon Hills is as good (or in some cases better) than those courses, the rest of the experience does not add up. Why:

Tee Pads - The tee pads are narrow, short, and extremely rough concrete pads. They do the job, but the texture is so extreme that it borders on unreasonable.

Signage - I was lucky enough to play the week of a tournament, and the first 18 holes had temporary signs with enough detail to be useful. The permanent signs that were in place (on only some holes) were very crude and did not give much detail regarding the hole layout itself.

The final nine holes had no signage or markings at all. No tee signs, no basket number, no next tee arrows, nothing. To say that my first time through on the back nine was frustrating would be an understatement.

Navigation - While there were no "next tee" signs the well-worn trails from hole-to-hole made navigation simple. However, with the long holes be prepared to walk forward, and in some cases WAY forward before you drive to get an idea of where you are going.

Scorecards - The provided scorecard has spots to write your score for 27 holes, and some tiny, difficult to read maps. No hole distance or par are included. The maps are so small and the hole numbers so tiny that I had to take it home and look at it under bright light to decipher the maps.
Other Thoughts: I'll be the first to admit that my experience is from the perspective of a travelling disc golfer playing a course for the first (and second) time. While the holes were great the signage issues made my initial round something of a chore, especially on the final 9. Had I reviewed the course after that initial play I'd have been thinking along the lines of a 3.5.

But I played it a second time a couple of days later, and found the experience much more rewarding. I spent less time trying to figure out where to throw and where to go, and more time enjoying the fantastic variety of holes.

I am awed by the amount of time and effort this course must require from the owners. The mowing task alone is simply enormous, not to mention the overall maintenance of the remainder of the course. Hats off to these guys and please, PLEASE, make the donation when you play.

In the final analysis I don't think that this course is on par with the other Top-10 courses I've played, but those courses are newer and built in a different era and to a different standard. I was torn between a rating of 4.0 and 4.5, but ultimately bumped it up based on the amazing variety and quality of the holes themselves and the recognition that the signage is a non-issue to folks who play the course more than once or twice.

Getcha’ some Appalachian Goodness!

1    12/31/2017   1/10/2018
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2018
Pros: Beautiful rural course set on rolling hills, just minutes from the interstate - yet miles away from it all.

• Variety: Phenomenal. Harmon's 27 holes run the gamut, offering all you could want. The first 18 range from sparsely to well-wooded, with most falling into the moderately to well-wooded range. The final 9 (across the street from the house) are decidedly well-wooded, and really challenge you to hit your lines. Love the range of distances here. Lots of holes where distance can help, but not stupid long, so even my noodle arm didn't feel completely overmatched. Wonderful mix of fairway shapes and shots. Nothing felt cliche or filler.

• Challenge: Excellent. A recurring theme is a tight window off the tee, playing to a relatively open landing area, leading to a gauntlet of trees between you and the basket. Slopes can really make you pay for missed putts or poorly placed approaches. Depending on time of year, and your distance off the tee, some holes may not be too challenging until your 2nd or 3rd shot. But if you've got a cannon, aim it carefully, or the only thing you'll destroy is your score. Great venue for tournaments. 1-18 are a nice but fun challenge. 19-27 take no prisoners.

• Elevation: Best of the Best. The topography figures prominently on the majority of holes and really hit the mark for me. Superbly employed, it comes into play every way you could hope for: uphill, downhill, gulleys, crests, rollaways, slopes. Ranging from moderate to magnificent, somehow it's ever-present, without feeling overpowering. I've played courses where repeatedly dragging my carcass up and down plain kicked my ass (Iffy Hollers & Carly's Playground come to mind). But this Grandmaster didn't feel at all gassed after 27 holes at Harmon (probably helped that it was 20°F when I played).

• Fun Factor: Phenomenal. Had a blast, and thought the discplay here was out-freakin-standing.

• Aesthetics: Excellent. Rolling hills, lush fields and woods combine for a beautiful setting with a boatload of scenic holes. I may have been cheated by my timing, because I bet this place is absolutely stunning in the spring/fall.

• Memorable holes: Excellent and more numerous than I'll list.

#6 Downhill off the tee, turning to the right, to a landing area below. Then you to the left for a long, uphill finish. Big Arms can throw a monster S-shot that if properly executed, will get them where I want to be after my 2nd shot.

#12 Slight downhill off the tee to an open landing. Next shot plays over a creek through some sentinel trees, with the basket quite a bit further behind them.

# 14 Downhill tee shot thru a tight window, to a landing an open area that plays mildly uphill to nicely guarded green.

• Equipment: Very good. All 27 holes had decent concrete tees and great baskets. 1-18 have nice tee signs, next tee markers where necessary, and new, green Prodigy baskets with the hole # on the band and flags on baskets obscured by elevation. None of that was present on 19 -27 at this time. 19-27 has yellow Discatchers... easy to spot in the dense woods, but please number them. Scorecard w/map near 1st tee.

• Routing/Nav: Good (with definite room for improvement). Three, distinct nine hole loops start/end near the owner's house.1-18 went very smoothly, thanks to good signage, fairly intuitive flow, and the fact that the baskets were numbered, (confirming you indeed spotted the proper basket when you had walk a fairway). Finding your way through 19-27 is quite a bit tougher because there's no signage (yet?) and the baskets aren't numbered. Even though 19-27 are on the scorecard/map, I thought I played to the wrong basket or missed a hole a couple of times (but that never actually happened).
Cons: Cons: most of the cons relate to things I mentioned above, but they're valid.

• Plenty of long, blind holes means lots of scouting ahead to find baskets. Really didn't get to me, but you can't blame anyone for thinking it sucks when the holes are as long and hilly as this.

• 19-27: These holes really need signage. And $10 worth of 3" black, vinyl hole #'s on yellow bands would be a big help (about 50’ a piece at Home Depot)... https://www.homedepot.com/s/3...mbers?NCNI-5.

• Truly appreciated the map on the scorecard (final 9 would've been a complete bear without it), but the hole #'s printed on the map are minuscule. If you wear reading glasses, you'll need 'em for the final 9. I'm being totally serious here. The good news is you don't need the map for 1-18, and you can snag your readers out of your car on your way to #19.

• Tees were decent, but on the small side, and some were a bit rough...but none struck me as bad.
Other Thoughts: A destination course, without doubt. If you like disc golf, Harmon will put a smile on your face.

I played New Year's Eve, so pretty much all the leaves were on the ground. I'm certain some of the holes I describe as sparsely wooded don't feel that way come June, and I'm sure the final 9 can be a real beat down during peak growth.

No doubt my "fun-factor" rating is inexorably linked to the fact that fairways weren't as tight, and missing lines not as punitive as in the summer. Other's mentioned a prevalence of poison ivy... again, a non-factor for winter. Just some things to consider when planning your visit... but plan your visit!

1-18 merit high marks for variety and challenge on their own, but I really think the increased density on 19-27 adds something missing (or at least not prevalent enough) in the original 18. Nice to see a course expansion add a missing design element, rather than adding "more of same, just because we could," which can make a good course feel repetitive.

I thought the posted pars were fair, but see how players throwing 400+ might think they're a bit generous.

All the hills and scouting mean you'll want to be fresh for this course. For that reason, I recommend making Harmon your first of the day.

Jerry Harmon: thank you for seeing what this could be and R.I.P.

Immaculate

5+    7/1/2017   7/1/2017
Review By: Shenley2
Pros: What can I say. Harmon hills is a gem of a disc golf course in America. 27 holes holes that are all different. Every hole has a unique and rustic feel.

It's one of the few places that is a disc golf only land. No parks, runners, passerbys to come in the way of your round.

Each 9 starts and ends by the house. You are with in a long jump putt of your car at the end of each 9.

Hole 1, 6, 12, 13, 26 and 27 are my favorites.

Seriously make time to come play this course. You won't regret it.
Cons: My only con is that the teepads are rough and the baskets are a bit aged. I think the course could use a bit of an updated makeover but this is being extremely nit picky.

2-4    6/7/2017   6/14/2017
Review By: DustBorne
Pros: -Pretty good variety on the first 18.
-Good place to play controlled golf.
-No gimmick holes to force 27 holes.
-Mostly thin undgrowth. Off-target shots are pretty quick finds.
-Well maintained. Grass was recently mowed and no downed trees/branches on fairways or teepads.
Cons: -Teepads need some work.
-Signage is often inaccurate or absent.
-You're often lucky if you can see the pin after two shots on your first round. It's not a fun feeling to have to throw twice before you can see the pin. There was a lot of time spent scounting/searching for baskets.

Other Thoughts: I visited this course when I was down in TN on a family vacation. It was an hour and a half away from our stay, and it was #4 on the charts on this website so it was definitely on my to-do list for this vacation. I played 1-18 twice and 19-27 once.

My overall feeling when I left was, "I'd come back if I was in the area, but I'm not aching to return here"

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7