Fall Branch, TN
Harmon Hills Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 12/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The old man who can beat you up

1    7/14/2018   7/15/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: Harmon Hills has been on my wish list for a long time, and it did not disappoint! This is one of the most unique courses I've ever played, and loved that it was three different nine hole loops. Each loop was pretty unique, especially the 19-27 final nine.

Holes 1-9 were probably my favorite. Big open shots around hills and patches of forest, through big openings in the woods on a couple holes too. Of the three loops, has the highest par (34, while the other two are at 33), but feels so much longer than one stroke. Holes 10-18 were on the other side of the house on similar land, and also make excellent use of the rolling hills of Harmon. The Final Nine are the tightest and most technical as they chew you up and spit you out in the woods across the street. But they also, have some incredible holes.

There are features on this course I just don't think I've seen anywhere else. Valley shots are one thing, but craters in the forest are another. The long par 4s and 5s were more exciting than on some courses where it's just a length problem (don't go there you guys). There were a couple signs on some of the longer holes that helped you figure out which way the fairway went on blind throws, which really helped.

Some 27 hole courses, or even most courses over 18 holes, really make me grateful that 18 is the standard. Harmon is the exception. There were a couple holes I did not like, but I with they were different rather than not there at all.
Cons: There is however a lot of room for improvement at Harmon Hills, and it's the fact that there is so much room for improvement that keeps it from being a 5.

The tee pads really need to be updated. Most of them are not big enough for a full run up needed on the big throws, and the ground isn't level enough to start off the tee pad. The hole signage was also terrible. I was lucky enough to play what I'm assuming is soon after a tournament while the temporary signs were still up on the first 18. Even then I couldn't figure out where the basket was going to be on some of these holes.

Most top-notch, best-of-the-best courses nowadays not only have phenomenal hole design, but great tee pads and signage. I completely understand why 10-15 years ago this would have been one of the absolute best in the country, and still is in many ways. But it's going to take using some of those course donations (to which I did contribute) for some higher standard pads and tees to see this course as one of those near-flawless 5.0 courses.

Hole 27 is one of the least satisfying finish holes I've played. The whole final 9 I thought was a little tight in some places (not just because of summer growth, but super small gaps 150ft from the tee), but 27 is just a big C shape. On my last hole, after a long semi-frustrating round, I want to let it rip. Or throw over some water. I want to see something nice to keep in mind as I leave the course. This one just missed that for me.
Other Thoughts: A total par of 100 is a long day. Be prepared to have some water on you, and pace yourself. It's totally worth playing each loop, but consider their differences when picking your order.

I would love to see Harmon Hills get all doll'd up with new pads and new signs with accurate hole maps and info. That would take the experience of playing some of the best holes on purely picturesque land to the next level, and really I think give it a new life. Disc golf is growing, and course standards keep getting raised in the modern version of the sport. Harmon Hills' holes seem to have been premoniscient of this growth direction, and it's time for the equipment to match the level of play this course reaches. I think that explains the difference in the course rating when you filter reviews for just Trusted Reviewers- it reflects just that little desire for polish, and poise. As of right now this course is the old dog that you love and is your companion. But it needs a bit of love to get back to show-dog status.

Exceptional Variety and Beauty

1    4/21/2018   7/12/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.305 Rating) A 27 hole, par 100 layout, that will entertain just about every veteran player in the game.
- UNIQUENESS - The hole to hole variety at Harmon Hills is almost unparalleled. Up shots, down shots, left hooks, right hooks, valleys, ridges, sinkholes and mounds. Heavily wooded and open and everything in between. The way the layout uses the mix of open fields abutted to heavily wooded areas is wonderful. Several tee shots start out wooded and play into an open field only to dive back into a wooded portion. Hole (6) does just this and it's also a 720 foot double dogleg par 5. This is the only time I've ever played a double dogleg par 5 out of 4,326 unique holes I've experienced. In addition, hole (6) starts with a down tee shot, then the next shot is up and the approach shot is back down again. Ie V\ , what an amazing hole. Hole (27) is another monster par 5 that's a 135 degree left turning hole. That's not a typo. The tee shot is down and then it levels at the middle portion only to rise up again. The hole is a continuous tunnel play and it's littered with large rock elements. The hole is only 636 feet long for a par 5, but making a 3 here has probably been attained by less than a handful of players. Harmon Hills will require the use of every shot in a player's arsenal including thumbers and tomahawks to get up the high inclines or to get out the woods from a bad ricochet. The only missing element on this 27 hole layout is water. There are some gouging creek beds on a few holes, most notably on hole (12), but it appears that they are all headwater creeks as every creek bed was dry on my appearance.
- SIGNATURE HOLES - Picking my favorite hole out here is like deciding on which hundred dollar bill to choose out of a stack of them. Between playing and posting this review, my favorite has already changed twice. Right now it's hole (17), but I also loved (1), (3), (6), (7), (11), (12), (14), (19), (24) (25) and (27). Yeah I know, it's a lot. As for holes I didn't care for, (8), (13), (22) which all have a bit of a hokey pokey element to them. All this stated, none of the holes have "blow you away" looks with epic elevation or killer water or amazing backdrop views. In my spreadsheet of my favorite 100 holes, I have hole (17) at 53rd.
- RAW BEAUTY - Piling on the before mentioned pro, the overall beauty is top tier. I can count the number of course I've personally ranked higher on these terms on one hand. I came to Harmon Hills about two weeks too early. The tree buds were just starting to pop on a few tree species. For those that love beautiful courses, I would recommend showing up during the first week of May. I'm not sure when peak fall foliage is in these parts, but that would be another ideal time to show up.
- CHALLENGING - This course requires a great mix of power, precision and shot shaping. Course management is also major key in shooting low. Players that continually go balls to wall, will be punished. I had a goal of shooting an even par 100 as an intermediate level player, but I finished +1 on all three 9 hole loops for a total score of 103, with a couple mullies. There are some definite birdie holes for players at the intermediate level. The third nine reads as the most difficult where the par 3s average 370 feet and these holes are nearly fully wooded. To shoot well out here, a player has to have a complete game. I think that a balanced 950 rated advanced player should average around par out here.
- CHARACTER - Some good stuff but also some work to be done. Seeing brand new color signage for the front 18 was a surprise. Unfortunately they are the vinyl temporary type so they probably won't last thru the year. Most tees are shaded from the elements. If I recall correctly, there was seating on every hole. The baskets were adequate MachVs on the first 18. (Not sure what happened, several recent reviews noted Prodigy). The final 9 woods portion were DISCatchers. There's a practice basket, although located too close to the parking area. The scorecards have a course map on them and they were a life saver for navigation. These are located at tee (1). There's a fridge on the house deck with cold water and there's a porta potty. As for missing items, proper tees and signage for the final 9.
- MAINTENANCE - The front 18 was trash free and completely mowed.
- LOCATION - Although a ways from every city of size, the course is less than 10 minutes from the interstate 81.
- DONATIONS WELCOMED - Harmon Hills is not a pay to play private course. However, anyone that plays here and doesn't throw at least a few bucks into the donation bucket is not a person I'd want to throw with. It's remarkable what the owners have done here without a park's department budget to work with. Please do what you can to support and thank them for their efforts.

Cons: A couple capital investment issues and preferential items.
- TEES - This really is the only item here bringing down the score I've given. The only three wooded courses I have rated higher than Harmon Hills are Rolling Ridge, Hobbs and Inverness. Harmon delivers just about every element these three courses have with the exception of the tees. The surface on many of the tees is questionable and the fact that the dimensions are 10 foot long by 3 foot wide at front and 5 foot wide in the back is very much subpar for even the courses I've rated at the 3.0 level. If Harmon Hills wants to stay as an elite level course it's going to need to address this. I figure it takes about 1 cubic yard of concrete to deliver a championship quality tee. That's roughly forty-five 80# bags, and it will make a 4 inch thick, 5 foot by 13 foot pad that widens to 7 feet in the back. Just for the concrete that's $220 dollars a pad or $6000 for all 27 holes, yikes. However, this is what is takes to stay top tier. Worrying about footing or being dissatisfied with footwork spacing will take away from the experience for many players today.
- SIGNAGE FINAL 9 - Without the scorecard with course map image, navigating (19) thru (27) would be extremely difficult. Other than numbered baskets, there really aren't any navigational aids.
- FORGIVENESS - The first 18 isn't overly punishing to errant shots. There are some good thicket areas not to throw into, but there also lots of thinned out areas as well. The same cannot be said of the final 9. It's a completely different animal with lots heavily wooded tight tunnel fairways. Lots of rocks to damage plastic on as well. On (27) I ricocheted hard left 75 feet in and spent the next 3 shots trying to get out by cutting the corner. Note, although I didn't see any poisonous plants during my April round, this course looks like it could be an offender
- DISCONTINUITY - The final nine is located across the street. More of a note than a con however.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - I personally wouldn't bring a beginner out here or anyone with less than 50 rounds in the bag for that matter. This course was designed for those that have been around for awhile. No beginner I know wants to slog around trees and overgrowth for several hours.
- TERRAIN - IMO, I thought the course was somewhat cart friendly. Probably not the best course for those with knee or joint pain. Perhaps playing just the first 18 and skipping the final 9 would work for those with these issues.
- PARKING - A gravel and natural grass parking lot, and as noted, the practice basket should be moved farther away.
- TIME PLAY - Harmon takes the cake on long rounds, so players need to plan accordingly. This one took me just over 120 minutes solo, the longest of any course I've ever played. I could see a group of four seasoned players playing all 27 in 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Other Thoughts: Harmon Hills is one or the more unique experiences I've ever had. I've never played anything close to a par 100 course with this many special par 4s and par 5s. It's truly a showpiece course that will continue draw in adventurers from all over the eastern United States. I only met the owner Aaron briefly on arrival, and in that short time I could tell that he is fun-loving hospitable owner who's continued to carry the torch for Jerry Harmon. A big thanks to him for his contributions to the sport. As for the course, I have currently placed Harmon Hills as the top course in Tennessee. I've played 6 of the top 10 rated Tennessee courses as of this review and have also researched the others I haven't played. I've concluded that my feeling on this won't change any time soon. Yes, there are some substantial lacking aspects at Harmon Hills, such as tees, signage and a refinement of the final 9. However, there are also killer aspects at well, such as beauty and variety that would blow away many of the higher rated course I've played. Harmon Hills is truly a destination course for the region and beyond.
- NAVIGATION - The scorecard map is a little hard to read, so even with it I still spent an additional 10 minutes walking around aimlessly, mostly on the back. Seems like an easy cheap fix with a few more navigational cues, especially on the back. If scorecard maps are not in the box, I personally would not advise playing the final nine blind.

A Dilemma : Hole Quality vs. Infrastructure Quailty

2-4    4/22/2018   4/22/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: If ever there was a place to consider the quality of the individual holes versus the overall quality of the course, this is it.

To begin with, Harmon Hills offers 27 outstanding holes of disc golf, arranged in three, 9-hole loops. The variation in hole distances is remarkable, from a 177' shorty out to 720' with great distribution of everything in between. At a par of 100 for the 27 holes you can see that there are plenty of par 4 holes and even a couple of par 5's.

The first 18 holes play over beautiful rolling hills with endless combinations of woods and open ground. Many holes begin over open ground and play into the woods, or begin and end in the woods and play over open ground in the middle. Some holes are mostly wooded but nothing extremely tight.

The final 9 holes are across the road in a less hilly but completely wooded area, with much tighter holes. Quite a contrast from the original 18.

Straight shots? Check. Gently curving shots to the right and left? Check. Doglegs? Tunnels? Check and check. Open greens, lightly guarded greens, tightly guarded greens. Check, Check, Check.

The elevation on the course deserves special mention. They've made great use of the rolling hills and you are presented with majestic downhill shots, across the valley shots, over the rise shots, and straight uphill shots. Throw in a creek and a couple of sinkholes and you've got all of the elevation you'll ever need!
Cons: I've had the opportunity to play the Selah Ranch, Trey Texas, and Harmony Bend courses all in the past 5 months, and they have set in my mind what a Top-10, 5-rated course looks like. And while the number and quality of the holes themselves here at Harmon Hills is as good (or in some cases better) than those courses, the rest of the experience does not add up. Why:

Tee Pads - The tee pads are narrow, short, and extremely rough concrete pads. They do the job, but the texture is so extreme that it borders on unreasonable.

Signage - I was lucky enough to play the week of a tournament, and the first 18 holes had temporary signs with enough detail to be useful. The permanent signs that were in place (on only some holes) were very crude and did not give much detail regarding the hole layout itself.

The final nine holes had no signage or markings at all. No tee signs, no basket number, no next tee arrows, nothing. To say that my first time through on the back nine was frustrating would be an understatement.

Navigation - While there were no "next tee" signs the well-worn trails from hole-to-hole made navigation simple. However, with the long holes be prepared to walk forward, and in some cases WAY forward before you drive to get an idea of where you are going.

Scorecards - The provided scorecard has spots to write your score for 27 holes, and some tiny, difficult to read maps. No hole distance or par are included. The maps are so small and the hole numbers so tiny that I had to take it home and look at it under bright light to decipher the maps.
Other Thoughts: I'll be the first to admit that my experience is from the perspective of a travelling disc golfer playing a course for the first (and second) time. While the holes were great the signage issues made my initial round something of a chore, especially on the final 9. Had I reviewed the course after that initial play I'd have been thinking along the lines of a 3.5.

But I played it a second time a couple of days later, and found the experience much more rewarding. I spent less time trying to figure out where to throw and where to go, and more time enjoying the fantastic variety of holes.

I am awed by the amount of time and effort this course must require from the owners. The mowing task alone is simply enormous, not to mention the overall maintenance of the remainder of the course. Hats off to these guys and please, PLEASE, make the donation when you play.

In the final analysis I don't think that this course is on par with the other Top-10 courses I've played, but those courses are newer and built in a different era and to a different standard. I was torn between a rating of 4.0 and 4.5, but ultimately bumped it up based on the amazing variety and quality of the holes themselves and the recognition that the signage is a non-issue to folks who play the course more than once or twice.

Getcha’ some Appalachian Goodness!

1    12/31/2017   1/10/2018
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2018
Pros: Beautiful rural course set on rolling hills, just minutes from the interstate - yet miles away from it all.

• Variety: Phenomenal. Harmon's 27 holes run the gamut, offering all you could want. The first 18 range from sparsely to well-wooded, with most falling into the moderately to well-wooded range. The final 9 (across the street from the house) are decidedly well-wooded, and really challenge you to hit your lines. Love the range of distances here. Lots of holes where distance can help, but not stupid long, so even my noodle arm didn't feel completely overmatched. Wonderful mix of fairway shapes and shots. Nothing felt cliche or filler.

• Challenge: Excellent. A recurring theme is a tight window off the tee, playing to a relatively open landing area, leading to a gauntlet of trees between you and the basket. Slopes can really make you pay for missed putts or poorly placed approaches. Depending on time of year, and your distance off the tee, some holes may not be too challenging until your 2nd or 3rd shot. But if you've got a cannon, aim it carefully, or the only thing you'll destroy is your score. Great venue for tournaments. 1-18 are a nice but fun challenge. 19-27 take no prisoners.

• Elevation: Best of the Best. The topography figures prominently on the majority of holes and really hit the mark for me. Superbly employed, it comes into play every way you could hope for: uphill, downhill, gulleys, crests, rollaways, slopes. Ranging from moderate to magnificent, somehow it's ever-present, without feeling overpowering. I've played courses where repeatedly dragging my carcass up and down plain kicked my ass (Iffy Hollers & Carly's Playground come to mind). But this Grandmaster didn't feel at all gassed after 27 holes at Harmon (probably helped that it was 20°F when I played).

• Fun Factor: Phenomenal. Had a blast, and thought the discplay here was out-freakin-standing.

• Aesthetics: Excellent. Rolling hills, lush fields and woods combine for a beautiful setting with a boatload of scenic holes. I may have been cheated by my timing, because I bet this place is absolutely stunning in the spring/fall.

• Memorable holes: Excellent and more numerous than I'll list.

#6 Downhill off the tee, turning to the right, to a landing area below. Then you to the left for a long, uphill finish. Big Arms can throw a monster S-shot that if properly executed, will get them where I want to be after my 2nd shot.

#12 Slight downhill off the tee to an open landing. Next shot plays over a creek through some sentinel trees, with the basket quite a bit further behind them.

# 14 Downhill tee shot thru a tight window, to a landing an open area that plays mildly uphill to nicely guarded green.

• Equipment: Very good. All 27 holes had decent concrete tees and great baskets. 1-18 have nice tee signs, next tee markers where necessary, and new, green Prodigy baskets with the hole # on the band and flags on baskets obscured by elevation. None of that was present on 19 -27 at this time. 19-27 has yellow Discatchers... easy to spot in the dense woods, but please number them. Scorecard w/map near 1st tee.

• Routing/Nav: Good (with definite room for improvement). Three, distinct nine hole loops start/end near the owner's house.1-18 went very smoothly, thanks to good signage, fairly intuitive flow, and the fact that the baskets were numbered, (confirming you indeed spotted the proper basket when you had walk a fairway). Finding your way through 19-27 is quite a bit tougher because there's no signage (yet?) and the baskets aren't numbered. Even though 19-27 are on the scorecard/map, I thought I played to the wrong basket or missed a hole a couple of times (but that never actually happened).
Cons: Cons: most of the cons relate to things I mentioned above, but they're valid.

• Plenty of long, blind holes means lots of scouting ahead to find baskets. Really didn't get to me, but you can't blame anyone for thinking it sucks when the holes are as long and hilly as this.

• 19-27: These holes really need signage. And $10 worth of 3" black, vinyl hole #'s on yellow bands would be a big help (about 50’ a piece at Home Depot)... https://www.homedepot.com/s/3...mbers?NCNI-5.

• Truly appreciated the map on the scorecard (final 9 would've been a complete bear without it), but the hole #'s printed on the map are minuscule. If you wear reading glasses, you'll need 'em for the final 9. I'm being totally serious here. The good news is you don't need the map for 1-18, and you can snag your readers out of your car on your way to #19.

• Tees were decent, but on the small side, and some were a bit rough...but none struck me as bad.
Other Thoughts: A destination course, without doubt. If you like disc golf, Harmon will put a smile on your face.

I played New Year's Eve, so pretty much all the leaves were on the ground. I'm certain some of the holes I describe as sparsely wooded don't feel that way come June, and I'm sure the final 9 can be a real beat down during peak growth.

No doubt my "fun-factor" rating is inexorably linked to the fact that fairways weren't as tight, and missing lines not as punitive as in the summer. Other's mentioned a prevalence of poison ivy... again, a non-factor for winter. Just some things to consider when planning your visit... but plan your visit!

1-18 merit high marks for variety and challenge on their own, but I really think the increased density on 19-27 adds something missing (or at least not prevalent enough) in the original 18. Nice to see a course expansion add a missing design element, rather than adding "more of same, just because we could," which can make a good course feel repetitive.

I thought the posted pars were fair, but see how players throwing 400+ might think they're a bit generous.

All the hills and scouting mean you'll want to be fresh for this course. For that reason, I recommend making Harmon your first of the day.

Jerry Harmon: thank you for seeing what this could be and R.I.P.

Immaculate

5+    7/1/2017   7/1/2017
Review By: Shenley2
Pros: What can I say. Harmon hills is a gem of a disc golf course in America. 27 holes holes that are all different. Every hole has a unique and rustic feel.

It's one of the few places that is a disc golf only land. No parks, runners, passerbys to come in the way of your round.

Each 9 starts and ends by the house. You are with in a long jump putt of your car at the end of each 9.

Hole 1, 6, 12, 13, 26 and 27 are my favorites.

Seriously make time to come play this course. You won't regret it.
Cons: My only con is that the teepads are rough and the baskets are a bit aged. I think the course could use a bit of an updated makeover but this is being extremely nit picky.

2-4    6/7/2017   6/14/2017
Review By: DustBorne
Pros: -Pretty good variety on the first 18.
-Good place to play controlled golf.
-No gimmick holes to force 27 holes.
-Mostly thin undgrowth. Off-target shots are pretty quick finds.
-Well maintained. Grass was recently mowed and no downed trees/branches on fairways or teepads.
Cons: -Teepads need some work.
-Signage is often inaccurate or absent.
-You're often lucky if you can see the pin after two shots on your first round. It's not a fun feeling to have to throw twice before you can see the pin. There was a lot of time spent scounting/searching for baskets.

Other Thoughts: I visited this course when I was down in TN on a family vacation. It was an hour and a half away from our stay, and it was #4 on the charts on this website so it was definitely on my to-do list for this vacation. I played 1-18 twice and 19-27 once.

My overall feeling when I left was, "I'd come back if I was in the area, but I'm not aching to return here"

Top Tier Course

1    5/4/2017   5/11/2017
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: Let me preface this review with my experience thus far in DG- Have now played 60+ courses in 14 states. I have now played 5 courses that were at least once in the top 10 on DGCR. I have designed/co-designed 2 courses. I regularly perform course maintenance at my local course that I designed. Highest pdga rating was a few years ago when I was less busy in life (925). l have won a few tournaments, but will never be "Pro".

Harmon Hills is located in the Northeastern corner of Tennessee. Lots of natural beauty and history in this area. Seriously, the drive had several pull off spots for scenic views, and they were great. As you know, this course is privately owned, and as such is a totally different monster in terms of course maintenance. They have to worry about not only cutting what has to be at least 50-60 acres of rolling land, but weedeat, take care of tees and the like. Serious hats off to the owners, and locals that are willing to do the work. That is a ton of work on a course of this length and caliber!

This course really has some opportunities for scoring separation. The long D guys get some bombers to throw. The very acurate guys get some nice pucker moments. Lots of elevation change for those that are familiar with how to play it. Just a great variety course.

Again the natural beauty. We loved the several opportunites to see some really cool rock formations. There is a cave on one of the holes. I think it is just to the right of fairway 12 that there is a cool scenic view of other local farms.

For me, the highlight holes were 1,2, and 10. Lots of great shots in between though.

It also looks like they are working on a tiki course? That would be a fun second round for sure.
Cons: Just a few negatives-

The pads will destroy your shoes. Somebody didn't understand the concept of a light broom finish. However, no slips the whole round from the pads.

Tee Signs- Basically, pay very little attention to the Tee signs. The only help they will give you is basically distance and direction. We had to scout several holes because almost every hole is a blind par 4. This was probably my biggest negative to the course.

Some holes had pin positions set that I would call halfsies. Hole 13 in particular was a heavily wooded, U-shaped par 3. I had a great tee shot and was pin high... still had easily a 120 foot upshot through dense forage.

You can't help this in the region... but Poison Ivy. Make sure to wear very long socks.
Other Thoughts: This is a can't miss course if you are in the region. Is it top 10 in the world? Going to have to say no. It just doesn't compete with Idlewild, Flip City, Holler, or Coyote Trace. Is it top 10 in the SouthEast? Maybe... but there is a ton of competition (Flyboy, IDGC, Charlotte courses). Top 10 in Tennesse? It has to be. This is my only TN course played thus far, but it has to be... if not the best course in TN. That isn't a demotion. Just where I believe it should be.

Again, it is definitely worth playing. Just probably not deserving of top 10.

Thanks again to the owners and locals that keep this course up. Make sure to leave a tip at hole 1 so that they can keep up with the mowing!

An embarrassment of DG riches

1    4/12/2017   4/14/2017
Review By: dr.chainslove
This review was updated on 1/9/2018
Pros: The reviews on this have been glowing and I anticipated 4.5 - 5.0 rating greatness. Harmon Hills exceeded my expectations and can't wait to return. The land here is incredible! You'll have huge elevation changes, boulders, sinkholes, ravines, light to dense woods, open fields, etc--all cleverly intertwined to make for some very challenging yet fair disc golf. I've never played a course with this much variety.

The owner Aaron (couldn't ask for a better host, btw) joined for a few holes and showed us the cave! He's unveiling ANOTHER 9 HOLES in a densely wooded hillside and he graciously guided us through. This section is all par 2 holes between maybe 80 and 150 ft. I found myself throwing lines I rarely encounter. The challenge here was still daunting despite the shortness. Oh, and you won't be shooting towards your typical basket. Instead, you'll find metal cylinders perched on PVC pipes (old CO2 tanks that look about the size of a 5 gal beer keg) that sound like a gong when you hit them. Very, very cool! This section is brand new and still may be undergoing some additional tweaking. Definitely check it out as a welcomed change of pace (take a hard right into the woods at the 11 basket).

UPDATE 7/11/17: made it back for another round. The aforementioned tiki course is getting more holes! Work is in progress knocking out some new lines further into this densely wooded area. Navigation in this section is still tough but the additions look great. I saw a few more tone poles getting a paint job on the front porch of the house. I wouldn't be surprised if they were expanding this section to 18 holes. One of the new holes has a tone pole mounted 15 ft up a tree, making it visible from a tee down the hill. This place just keeps getting better!

UPDATE 1/9/2018: The old Mach baskets on the front 18 have officially been upgraded to green Prodigy baskets! #10 tee has been widened. Tiki course still in the works. Navigation here still isn't clear but well worth a walkthrough.
Cons: For a solo first-timer without a map, this could be a frustrating tour around the property. Many baskets are blind from the tee. There's no signage on the 9 holes across the street. I was lucky enough to play along others that knew the way and could also help with spotting. Cell phone coverage may be limited here so, before you come, I'd highly recommend printing off the satellite image course maps in the links section.
Other Thoughts: I had the pleasure of playing a round with the reviewer below (Hi Marvin!) and another traveler from MI. Allow yourself plenty of time here. We got to 34 of the 36 holes in about 4 hours with the fading sunlight preventing us from getting to the final 2.

You can easily enjoy a few days here. Camping is available in a nicely arranged area down the hill from the house with a giant pavilion, solar panels for power, and a porto-pot. This now tops Bud Hill and Brown County Country Club (IN) for my favorite destination course. You'll also be close to other great courses in the tri-cities/ Knoxville area. To name a few(!): Warriors, Winged Deer, Panther Creek, Rotary, Cherokee, Kiwanis, Tommy Shumpert, Morningside, and The Claytons.

Be sure to show some love at the donation box by hole 1.

True destination course

2-4    4/12/2017   4/12/2017
Review By: BowlingGreenMarvin
Pros: *Excellent risk/reward layout
*Demands creative shots
*Distance and Technical ability tested
*Good tees
*Well designed signs
*clean of underbrush and garbage
Cons: *One (one) hole sign was missing, but it was an important one.
*Going up the hill on 16 is like hitting the wall during a marathon
*The dogs want to help
Other Thoughts: I rarely review courses and have been able to play well over 100 in many states. This one got my attention. It is in the country, wooded, beautiful and always surprising. While driving distance will definitely benefit, placement is much more important. A round with some practice shots is necessary in order to shoot your best score. You won't luck out on this course. I've not played a tournament here but I bet a 60 would warrant a 1000 rating.

If you're within 100 miles you should definitely make it to Harmon Hills.

Must play course

2-4    3/29/2017   3/29/2017
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: I'll keep it fairly short since it's well covered in other reviews. I've played here twice, both times mid-week, and I was amazed that I was the only person playing on both visits -- even though this is 5 minutes off the interstate.

Epic setting on beautiful private land; perfectly hilly with a nice mix of woods and grass. Great mix of holes (on the front 18) that are very fun to play and make good use of the terrain. True fairways on most holes with obvious and fair throwing lanes. Very well maintained.
Cons: Very minor things -- I don't like the teepads, which are short and very rough concrete. Navigation is pretty easy, although a couple of holes were missing signage.

Bigger - I really didn't enjoy the back 9 holes. Where the front 18 is incredibly fun to play, the back 9 is grueling. I think 7 of 9 were blind ... not blind like its hard to see the basket, but blind where you have to walk halfway down the hole to see the throwing line. Only a few holes where you can see much of the fairway from the tee, which means you don't get to watch your shot, and will be looking for your disc. No signage. Holes mostly on the long side considering the width and shape of fairways - i'd bet really low % of birdies on most holes. A chainsaw would improve the throwing lanes in many places. Very cool terrain with big rocks and hills.
Other Thoughts: I've played the front 18 twice and had time to play the back 9 on this visit. It might be because the front 18 is so nice, but I really didn't enjoy the back 9. The front 18 is fantastic and this is a must visit if you're travelling along I-81.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7