Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: Dr_killmore Hole #16 (Taken 10/2016)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Solid course with a few minor shortcomings.

5+    6/15/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: + Excellent mixture of open and wooded holes. While Eastway lacks the consistently technical lines of Charlottes more wooded courses, I find that makes it stand out. It compliments what the area has to offer very well.

+ Superb variety in hole length. Especially from the longs, this course plays longer than the average 18 hole course. This is something I specifically look for in a course. There are multiple 500'+ and 600'+ holes to test your distance. To me the length is one of the more notable features when you compare this course to the ones surrounding it. If you enjoy throwing long drives but you get bored by completely wide open courses, you'll love Eastway.

+ Certain holes feature very well thought out pin placements. #17 is perched on a steep hill that makes you think twice about your putt. #4 appears to be an ace run from the tee but anyone that's played Eastway will know to lay up, as it sits on top of a large, steep hill that punishes overshooting the pin. #8 is placed on a raised putting green ringed with a small rock wall, making the hole play longer than it appears on paper.

+ What elevation the land offers was utilized very well. In particular I really enjoy the downhill #2 followed by the uphill #3, especially playing the longer versions. #11 and #12 feature a slightly downwards sloping green that makes them play a bit shorter than their lengths suggest. #16 has a gentle downhill slope I've always enjoy, and lastly #18 long has a steep hill ~250' in front of the tee you'll need to throw over to have a good look at a birdie.

+ Tons of benches.

+ Great signage, save for a few vandalized tee signs.

+ #2-7, and #13-18 (Minus #17's tee) offer a fairly secluded experience considering how densely populated the area is. While #10 and #11 have you playing next to a busy road, you can easily forget the rest of the world exists on some of these holes.
Cons: - Has some thick rough in spots. If you hyzer out early on #2, you're in for a bad time. If you griplock on #12, you might not see your disc ever again. If you throw deep on #13, you'll slice your legs open trying to find it. Between this and the length, I think this course may intimidate someone just starting out at disc golf. I'd play it a little conservative your first time until you get a feel for the fairways.

- Multiple holes play over or near the park entrance road. Traffic isn't heavy enough that is a major concern, but playing near roads is always worth noting as a potential safety issue.

- Has trash issues. For some reason the trash cans here are often over flowing.

- Homeless people are sometimes sleeping in this park. This has never been an issue for me as they have kept to themselves, but its a sad thing to see. Kind of dampens my mood guiltily thinking about sociological issues when I'm out for a relaxing round of golf.

- Over the years I've come to feel Eastway can feel a little too open at times, which is ironic considering that's what drew me here in the first place.. 7-13 are pretty much wide open, as well as a few others, though they do play along a tree line with an OB road, so that helps make them more interesting.
Other Thoughts: Eastway attracted my attention early on, because when moved to Charlotte I was used to more open courses. Most Charlotte courses are heavily wooded, so when I asked for suggestions for more open courses, I was told to visit Eastway and Frank Liske.

Eastway is by far the more interesting of the two. I would much rather play it than Rotary Park, despite Frank Liske offering numerous opportunities to air out some distance shots. Courses that wide open get boring fast, while Eastway balanced the open bomber holes with shorter technical shots.

I think the stand out feature of Eastway, aside from the longer than average holes, is the sheer variety you'll encounter. Playing from the long tees on holes like #3, #9 and #14, you'll find great contrast between those and the shorter holes like #1, #4 and #17. You'll need a diverse arsenal of shots to birdie every hole, and will need to consistently hit your line. The course never comes close to feeling claustrophobic like some courses can that are densely wooded for an entire 18 holes.

I'd suggest pairing this with one of the numerous nearby 18 hole courses. Reedy Creek, Sugaw and Kilborne are all a short drive away.

This is a solid course that I think anyone above the beginner level would enjoy.

Pleasant Surprise in the City!

2-4    2/4/2017   2/6/2017
Review By: danmcdnc
Pros: This course to be honest is very fun, has some phenomenal holes, but ebbs and flows based on where you are. The first six holes are mostly wooded, and offer great variety and a challenge. Hole two is a monster and challenge if you play the long basket into the woods, approaching 600 feet. When you get to hole seven, you're on the road for the wide open, which is great for slinging it your best. Once you go back to 13 you're back into variety, trees, and what makes this course worth it. The pin placement on certain holes (2, 5, 15, 17) really makes for a few holes that are unique and you do not get at every course.
Cons: This course could honestly be split evenly into thirds, with 1-6 being mostly wooded, 7-12 just along the road and lacking variety, with 13-18 back to more trees. I know they had to find a place to get 6 holes in, but you're almost guaranteed to par on the middle holes without much fun or variety.

Be careful, it's not in exactly the best area of town, so just be aware. Also, there aren't many garbage cans in some areas. I feel like hole one should be hole seven so you play the open ones first before venturing into the wooded ones and get warmed up.
Other Thoughts: I live in Davidson and will drive a half hour to play this course, so that means something with Bradford, Robbins, and Bailey all within ten minutes. The look of the course and layout is very spread out and great for a longer round, and you wouldn't know you were right in the city based on most of the holes.

You get to throw your hardest on almost every drive, there are some more technical and narrow shots on a few holes, and this course won't beat you up much. I suggest making the trip into the city and hitting this and Kilbourne up if you get the time.

Different type of challenge in Charlotte

5+    8/13/2013   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This course offers a little different challenge than most of the courses around the area. There are a few more wide open throws that really let you fire the cannons. It provides a handful of technical shots that require more precision and careful strategery, but the course plays very friendly and is fairly forgiving. It's a great afternoon, get out and play.
Cons: Overgrowth can be seriously overgrown. It can get pretty hairy if the maintenance falls by the wayside. In these situations, discs can get lost very easily, especially by newer players. Take heed of the conditions of the course before making a trip.

1    9/16/2016   9/19/2016
Review By: hoppedup
Pros: Fairly easy to navigate without a map. This course makes good use of elevation changes, with holes 2, 3, and 16 standing out for me in this regard. There is a good mix of holes for lefties and righties and you might use every disc in the bag on this course. I actually enjoyed the tighter landing zones and 2 and 16, but probably because I made both.

The short and long tees offer a very different experience. I played the shorts because of my noodle arm and was never overwhelmed by difficulty. IMO, this is good course for less experienced players and seasoned veterans.

The Disc Catchers are in great shape and easy to see.

The course is mostly open but with enough obstacles to make it interesting. The rough on a few holes was pretty rough, so making your shot pays off here.

I liked the basket placement on 17. If you go for it and miss, you are going down a steep hill to throw back up at the basket.

18 had a really cool old forked tree right in the middle of the fairway.
Cons: This course was a little open for my taste usually.

7,8, and 17L throw over the road. It's pretty wide open though so no blind shots should be required.

After 8, what appears to be the next tee logically is actually 17L. Just follow the road and 9 is on the right. We also had to backtrack after 13, as we took a path over to 15's basket.
Other Thoughts: After everything I'd heard about how tight and technical Charlotte courses are, I was surprised by how open this course was. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though.

Harder than it looks

1    9/20/2015   9/20/2015
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: This course has a great variety of shots required. A touch of elevation change, unique and challenging greens, and plenty RHBH and LHBH friendly holes. The combination of wooded, open, and winding holes really challenges you to throw a wide range of different lines and often reconsider laying up instead of running for the chains. The risk to reward factor is high.

The course design upon initial inspection seems easy enough. Plenty of open long bomb holes, and not much in the way of tight wooded tunnel shots....I was wrong. The OB on some holes can be punishing, and really add strokes to your score. I can appreciate this aspect though, and really enhances the challenge of what would normally be a boring playing course. Lay up, or go for it?

I can't say enough about the design of this course. From the unforgiving OB (as evident by my scores here...), the wide variety of shots required, and the overal use of terrain available at the park. Very well laid out, and designed course. Not for the faint of heart
Cons: Unfortunately, as much as I loved the design features of this course, there were some unfortunate "cons" that brought the rating down.

The up-keep of this course seemed to be lacking compared to other well known Charlotte courses. There were trash piles where trash cans maybe used to be at the tee pads, and trash scattered around throughout the whole walk. Unfortunate...

After the trash on the course came the inadequate and sometimes missing signage. There are small wooden signs leading to the next holes, which are useful! But...they are hard to see in some locations, and non-existent in others. A course map may be useful, but as I've mentioned in some of my other reviews, I don't think should be required to easily navigate yourself through the course.

Most of the tees had proper tee signs, indicating the par and distance and providing a layout of the fairway, however there were several not present at all. Bummer

Missing signage and trash aside, I felt that there were a few holes, specifically on the back 9, that seemed hard just for the sake of being hard...Either no discernible clear line (#15) or Tiny landing zones/massive overgrown OB (#16). Creating obstacles or difficult fairways just to toughen the hole are sometimes necessary, but in my opinion, over done on this course.

The last, albeit minor, con for this course was the tee pad for hole #18. It seemed almost half the length of normal tee pad and made the tee shot difficult here.
Other Thoughts: Although my list of cons for this course may seem quite long, I still really enjoyed the challenge this course presented. It can take advantage of any weak area in your game, and can really punish mistakes. The high risk to reward ratio on some holes greatly adds to the challenge for me, and is a nice change of pace to some other more forgiving courses.

A big arm could be a big advantage here, as there are quite a few long open holes, but the lower power throwers shouldn't shy away from this course. Just be smart, and play smart. The OB may not look intimidating or challenging, but can really ruin a decent score.

Bring plenty of water and sunscreen as the course uses lots of the parks available realestate and is quite a long walk. Enjoyable! But protect yourself from the sun, and keep hydrated as a lot of the walking is out in the open.

A challenging course with some really great potential with just a bit of TLC. Would recommend playing here if you're near by, but I don't feel this course is quite up to the wonderful Charlotte DG standards

Fun but challenging

2-4    7/13/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: ncbrett92
This review was updated on 7/21/2015
Pros: A fun mix of open and wooded holes with a good mix of distance as well. Hole 2 is fun to just rip the drive and watch it sail. The fairways are for the most part open but if you get off line your chance at birdie or even par could be gone. All of the tee boxes are fair in size (other then 14). I like to play hole 9 from the longs to throw one par 4 into the course. The raised basket on 8 and 5 are fun and holes 1,4, and 12 have drop offs behind there baskets and 17 had a major drop behind it to make you pay big time for missing long.
Cons: The one major....And I mean major....Con I have with this course is the under brush and THORN BUSHES!!!!. I have played the course 4 times and I can drive 300-350ft and I won't risk 16 because I don't want to fight with all that crap to find my disk. The under brush is so bad that 2 and 18 long are almost unplayable if someone wanted to. the thorns are really bad on 13-16 to the point I left a disk on 13 to the left because I could even walk threw the paths that other golfers before me had made without getting stuck in the legs and arms. UPDATE:They cut back the brush on 2 long and 3 long is now playable but 16 is still bad and no work done to 18 long. 9 to the right is also pretty thorny too.

A few of the tee sings are missing for some of the holes.

The short tee pad on 14 is creative and it works just fine....unless it has rained.... then it is slick as all get out.

I personally don't like the lay out of 15.... there really is't a true line to hit you just kind of have to throw it and pray it gets threw somehow with that tree guarding the basket and the brush tight to the left and right.

Other Thoughts: I really do like this course I have't found anything else like it in the Charlotte area and a must play for sure. I'll be playing this course a good bit for sure but do to the underbrush and thorns I think you'll see me over at Killborne and Sugaw Creek more then this one.

Beastway

2-4    7/21/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: TOB3RT
Pros: This course is just absolutely amazing. I have played a majority of the courses within a 25 mile radius of Rock Hill, and it is definitely in the top 3, if not number 1. For starters, there is a "high-risk high-reward" on many of the holes. Hole 2 is one of the funnest I have played in awhile, due to the steep downhill slope and the danger of the left OB. Many holes incorporate this ideology when you have to throw over swampy, thorny manifestations of untamed growth, or you're surrounded by them with a tight, neatly groomed, fairway.

This course is playable for any level of disc golfer. The holes range from 200 ft to 440 ft (short tees) or from 250 ft to 656 ft (long tees). Be wary, however, because holes 2, 11, 12, 13, and 16 have really easy ways to lose a disc and, especially if it rained recently, almost impossible to get it out without the right equipment. If you do not have trust in your ability, I would definitely play it safe on these holes.

The course features: Concrete tee pads, DISCatcher pros, restrooms, a football field where you are able to test your drives, a park for children, and benches on almost every hole.
Cons: While the cons were few, they did skew my rating from a 4.5 to a 4. For starters, trash everywhere at the beginning of holes. There are a few trashcans, but it seems like the people who were there before us did not seem to care. There was a broken glass bottle on hole 2 smack dab on the tee-pad which is infuriating to see, especially if it was because of other disc-golfers.

Another big problem for me is hole 14. Hole 14 does not have a tee-pad. Instead, there is a white line painted on an asphalt road that no traffic comes onto. You walk a path to get to it, and as soon as you get on the road it should be right in front of you. It was a bit difficult to notice upon first playing this course.

The brush, for beginners, is really not easy to handle. The first time we went, we spent about 15 minutes on every hole with a great rough looking for our discs. We found them, along with some other discs with no ink, but it took a long time to do so.

Other Thoughts: The biggest con for me, although it cannot be helped by the park itself, is the ongoing construction outside of the park. Taking N. Tryon St is not the direction to go, due to the bridge being closed off. From N. Tryon St. I would turn on to E. Sugar Creek Rd and turn left at The Plaza. Once on to The Plaza, Eastway Dr. will be the first light. Take a left onto it and the park will be on your right. We did not realize construction was going on, and drudged through traffic only to be hit by "Road Closed" signs.

Lovely, well groomed course, that does not seem like it gets a lot of traffic. We were not waiting behind anyone nor was anyone waiting for us any of the times we played. Excellent course.

Beastway!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is pretty wide open but does play through the trees on a few holes. Some elevation in play & it is used very well! Nice, large concrete tee pads with alternate tee pads on some holes. These alt tee pads have very different looks from the short pads which I like! Some OB in play. Some wide open green grass & some tree lined alley shots. Good mix of long & short & left & right-handed throws! Hole 2 in the long is one of my favorites!
Cons: The rough is tall in some spots (you could lose a disc). The middle of the course can get a bit repetitive (open holes by the road). Lock up your valuables!
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 is a bomber in the long!! It's very pretty once you get up to the short pad with all the old growth trees in the fairway! This place is a good compliment to the many quality courses in the area. Definately worth the drive!

This is a "parky" course

5+    10/26/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Eastway is one of the nicer courses in the Charlotte area! Whats nice about this course is that a lot of the holes are OPEN! You can really strecth your arm on your tee shots. The holes that are in the woods are also nice cause the fairways are not so tight that your consantly hitting trees. Most tee boxes have benches and the tee signs are in very good shape!
Cons: The only Con I can think of is that on hole 17 somebody stole the basket! Sometimes you have to wait for cars to drive by cause some holes require you to throw over the road into the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is fun to play! Its great for beginners and pros! If your in the area and have time play the course you won't be disapointed!

Very Nice

1    5/26/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: A great mostly open course to air out some discs! Very cool place to play. Didn't expect this nice of a course for such a busy area. It's tucked away enough to forget that you are in between to very busy intersections!! A variety of challenging holes and some nice confidence booster holes as well. Very nice layout. It flows fairly well. Beautiful trees!! Very cool Huge Oak tree where a house use to be.
Cons: Some holes had over flowing trash bags. If I'd brought some bags I'd cleaned up some. Next time I'll bring bags.

Other Thoughts: A must play if you are in that area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5