Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: SpainKiller Hole #5 (Taken 11/2015)

Eastway: The Black Sheep of the Family

2-4    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 5/30/2013
Pros: Most of us in Charlotte have noticed by now that Stan McDaniel loves creating courses that make use of the philosophy "high risk-high reward". Eastway Park is definitely no exception. This course is very challenging because the fairways neatly cut out of a very dense pine forest that is surrounded by extremely thick, tall brush filled with thorns. The manicured fairways on the majority of the course provide a nice reprieve from the wooded courses we North Carolinians are accustomed too. However a few holes on both the front and back 9 will take us back to our roots- trying not to trip over tree roots (pun intended). Holes 2, 3, 9, 13, 14, and 18 all have long pads to throw from. (13 and 14 are not use in tournaments.)

However, people with big arms will really enjoy this course. The fairways are long, open, and for the most part clear and easy to see. Using proper equipment with DISCatcher Pros and concrete Pads, we can see that this course truly does belong in the Queen City. The park itself offers a soccer field you can use to warm up your drives, a restroom facility, a practice basket, volleyball court, and a nice playground for your children. This course is also less than 5 minutes away from Sugaw Creek and fairly close to Kilborne and Reedy Creek- allowing for a fun Saturday full of Disc Golf.
Cons: As I said in the above section, the roughage on this course is extremely rough. If you try to throw the green every hole, without complete control of your disc, expect to lose one (eventually). In the least be ready to check yourself for ticks when you are done playing. The long pads are a nice touch that beef of the difficulty for experienced players, but since 13 and 14 aren't used in tournament play, their extended fairways are generally overgrown and harder to navigate. If you choose to play Long, I would skip 13 and 14; not only are they overgrown from lack of use, they will make your round less smooth because they are both kind of out of the way. 5 Holes are played up and down the road that leads into the park, which provides a nice challenge, and sets up interesting shots. Unfortunately staying in close proximity to the road for such a long period of time becomes stale and breaks the secluded feeling a lot of the park benefits from. Hole 14 lacks a real short tee pad, and is thrown behind a spray-painted line (which can be harder to find for newer players.) There is also a distinct lack of benches and trash cans along the course. The combination of all these things makes me hesitant to give the course a higher rating. UPDATE: Just played here again, and there are a few more benches than I remembered there being. Due to this, I am going to give the course .5 points higher. Some of the brush can still be treacherous, but really the lack of trash cans along the holes hurts the most. Which is unfortunate since so many holes are easily accessible to empty the cans.
Other Thoughts: More work seems to be going into this park. I love the long open shots on a lot of the holes, and appreciate the change of pace from the course designer's general trend to keep things tight and technical.

Just like other courses in Charlotte, after my 3rd play-through, I have absolutely fallen in love with this course. This past round I didn't hold back as much because I knew the course better, and let my drives open up. Some of my drives were thrown a bit off my line, but luckily I was able to keep an eye on all of them so I didn't lose anything. (Almost did on 5, somehow overthrew the basket without hitting a tree.) I didn't like it as much until this last round, but 16 is probably my favorite hole on this course. If you have the distance and accuracy to park the green, it is super fun. (I wouldn't suggest going for it, unless you are fairly confident in your distance since the fairway is lined in thick brush.)

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 13, 16

Beastway

2-4    5/18/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: tater66
Pros: Long drives on many holes, very tight technical shots on others. This course really makes me think about how to play a hole, and then requires a good shot to stay out of trouble.
Cons: very hard to find discs that get into the brush, at least in the late spring / summer. Probably no too bad in the late fall & winter.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, a good mix of tight technical holes & bombers. Very challenging!

Worlds Road Trip

1    7/7/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Good tee pads
-Good Tee Signs
-Baskets are in good shape
-Good mix of hole types (RHBH, RHFH)
-Good use of elevation
-Interesting pin locations
Cons: -Wish there was more wooded holes
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I went on a little road trip with some friends right before Worlds. We wanted to play as many of the courses we could and get an idea of how challenging they would be. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. We played behind Catrina Allen, saw Michael Johansen practicing, and met Paige Pierce... As for the course, it was beautiful. A great layout of the area and use of the land. No hole was the same. Everything was different. I loved the use of elevation. I guess I have it a 3.5 because I was spoiled playing Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold, and Winthrop before I played here. It is still a great course and I highly recommend playing here if nearby.

Wide open and a great change of pace from other CLT courses

1    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Great tees, some short and long, but always with good signage
+ Great baskets, a couple with short and long, but we played the short ones
+ I doubt the course design was as effortless as it played, but it honestly felt smooth as silk
+ The fairways seemed excellently carved and I bet this would be a gorgeous course when the colors of the trees and plants are brightest
+ Some Charlotte courses make you feel claustrophobic with their tight butthole fairways, but this one was loose and generous
+ Only mild elevation change made playing this course quick and easy, but still a fun round
+ Signage made us laugh a few times because they showed the actual shape of trees and railroad tracks for the teepads
+ This course layout, generosity, and forgiveability really allows you to stretch your arm, utilize all your shots and all your discs
+ Memorable holes were #5, #15, #16, and #18
Cons: - Nothing really stands out as over the top awesome, but in a town with 14+ courses that's only a minor negative
- The stream on #6 is very deep in spots, so retrieving a bad throw could suck
- I really did not like throwing over and around the road mainly because people around here don't care enough to slow down
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course for a good round of golf. It doesn't matter than this course isn't over the top awesome with an abundance of woodwork and "amenities" so to speak. It has what it needs to be a truly solid course. The fairways are clear, even on the wooded holes, there's a little water, a lot of distance, and potential for satisfying rounds. This course has its place in Charlotte for sure. It is definitely a course to play for a change of pace from the rest of the crazy courses around.

Eastway for Beast Play

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Eastway DGC is a complete 18 hole course with plenty of wide open, long-ranging fairways. The park was nice and well kept, and the layout was well marked and easy to follow. The first few holes are reachable, but not right under your nose, and some have minor elevation changes. The middle and end of the course tended to be longer and flatter. Four holes offered long tees, working out of the wooded fringes of the park, and extending already lengthy holes. Most of the challenge presented is due to distance, as open tees allow great freedom off the tee in most cases.

The holes all had concrete tees, and good baskets, as well as signs and other transitional markers. There are bathrooms and trash cans at the parking lot, and park watch (security) was on the scene when we got there, not when we left.
Cons: Really not a lot to complain about, but lacking any truly remarkable features. The layout is good use of the park space, but does cross the street twice. The sparsely wooded park seldom forces a well placed, or highly technical throw.
Other Thoughts: Eastway park is a valid example of a good disc golf course, but with so many others in the area, it doesn't compare favorably in to me in most cases. I like airing out crushing drives as much as the next guy, but more is required to maintain my level of interest. Reminds me of University DGC in Clemson with better flow and scenery.

Sweetway

2-4    12/23/2012   12/23/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/15/2013
Pros: -Nice park in Charlotte with one heck of a course. It's course to Sugaw and Kilborne (which I'm playing tomorrow). It's scenic and the "open" course in Queen city.
-Nice grippy teepads. Maybe 9 feet long so you can have a natural run up.
-Great use of elevation like many previous reviewers have said. Particularly #2, maybe a 30 foot drop and #3 gains 25 feet but those are not the only holes with great elevation.
-Again, the course is open, today I had a few 300+ drives, one around 330' on #12. Maybe a few others. The wooded holes are #4, #5, #6, #17 and #18.
-Course has many standout holes, like #2, #3, #5, #12, #17 and #18. Two has a large drop in elevation, the fairway isn't cut all the way but it's not too bad if you give it a small hyzer, it only plays 201', if you can't get there then this hole isn't really for you. #3 is a short straight uphill ace run that requires a small hyzer, #5 is a tough downhill wooded par 3 that has quite a bit of OB, so you should have a 215' foot drive to avoid it, basket's on a platform. #12 is a very long open bomb slightly downhill, #17 is a sidearmer's ace run with a steep dropoff to the right, #18 is a well polished finishing hole with the basket behind a large "V" tree. Those are the extra good holes but almost every hole is fun.
-Two teepads on #3, #9, #13, #14, which is a killer, #17 and #18 which is also a monster. Long basket on #2 which is a slight dogleg right that goes into the woods.
-Practice basket by #1 by the parking lot, the baskets catch fine despite being a bit vandalized and beaten up a little.
-Nice variety of dropoffs like #8 and #17 and #5 is on a small platform, elevation changes, OB (Quite a lot), doglegs (#2 long, #6, #13 long, #14 long) open and woods.
-It's not as sketchy is it is considered, Sugaw and Kilborne are but when I play here, there isn't any trouble, homeless people don't hang around here and neither do rebels.
-Benches are on every or almost every hole.
-Plenty of restaurants that are pretty close like Wendy's, Bojangles and a few others.
Cons: -It's rough, when I played today, there was quite a bit of vegetation, particularly on #12, my shot was an anhyzer and if that happens to you, you better hope your drive goes a good distance, I went past it, which was one of my longest drives, yet again, my approach shot was blocked so I had to have a turnover shot which gave me a bogey.
-Course isn't AS sketchy but the baskets are beat up and vandalized a bit. Don't let it bug you too much because they catch great for baskets in just average shape.
-Yes, lack of anemities like trashcans. I don't know if the bathrooms are very clean either. All the litter around the course shows that there are not enough trashcans.
-Nope, not very beginner friendly, there is a large amount of OB on the course, and there are no mandos. Whatever is marked by orange flags, it's OB. #16 is a fun open, pretty long hole, the whole ravine is OB which some people will find inconsiderate, That's not it, this course easily has the most OB in Charlotte. I was okay with some of it and some I really felt like ignoring. If you think #9 at Sugaw creek's OB is overdone, wait until you see all of this. Forget it if you are a beginner, enjoy the game and play it when you can throw maybe 250'.
-Some holes, you have a chance in hitting a car and I don't like that #11 is very close to #10's fairway, I like the holes but it's a bit unsafe when there is a tournament and #18's front teepad is way too small.
-I don't like #6 a lot to be honest, it's a par 3 that's 249' that plays 286'. It's short but it's an uphill shot out of the woods with a dropoff to the left and to the right, you have a chance in losing a disc. Not a fan of #15 either as it has a very high change in losing a disc. It's just me though, some people find them fun.
Other Thoughts: Yes, the course has cons and some should be fixed but I never said don't play here. Eastway is great and it's the first course in Charlotte I played. On 11/11/11. I got maybe +16 over and today, I got a score that isn't too satisfying (+7) but I have fun when I play here. I'm going to disagree with people saying it's beginner friendly despite all of the OB and some of the distances but if you are at least an intermediate in the Charlotte area and have a chance to play it, then do it. It consists of very fun holes and it's a nice family park with a playground, GIANT field for football and soccer and mainly a fun course. The course flows well and besides cars running by, the course is safe because it doesn't go too close to the parking lot. Some courses will not be as safe for other locals there, the course doesn't seem to be crammed in at all. If you live in Charlotte, and read some reviews and find them positive enough, there's no reason not to play here, it's a very cool design. I saw last year because of the vegetation growing is a major issue sometimes, the course won't be playable in 2013 if it can't be enjoyable and if locals won't play it enough. I don't want it to become extinct, I love it. Play this course.
-Signature hole, actually there is more than one. #2 because it's a sick, straight downhill shot. #5 is probably the funnest wooded shot in Charlotte. Lots of OB but gimme a break, it's a fun risky shot over the OB. #12 is a grip it and rip it slight downhill bomb and #16 is a bit similar to #5 but it's open and longer. #18 from the long is an awesome +25 foot gain so it plays 669 feet. This is GOOD, GOOD GOLF.
If you don't find this review helpful, tell me why it isn't, send me a message and ask me about things you want to know more about, I'd be glad to tell you.

Its good golf

5+    8/9/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Nice variety of shots, great use of elevation, and a course that is rather open and is a good change of pace and complement to most of Charlotte's wooded courses.

This park doesnt have a whole lot of natural elevation but the park was at one time a horse racing track that built up the track and left some pretty cool drop offs. You can look at arial photos and still see where the track went (it starts at hole one and turns left towards 3's basket and around sixes fairway back to the road, and hooking up to 17s fairway and back around to hole one.)

For instance I think hole two and 16 are awesome. You have to know how to throw an accurate down hill shot that flys with grade of the land. However, if you are not used to throwing backhand hyzers or straight shots down hill, you will likely fade out OB or in some rough missing the landing area.

Holes 3, 4, 5, 8, 17, 18 (and a couple more) also use elevation along with OB very well to make a course that seems open and straight forward alot more difficult. Even though their are some significant elevation changes around these baskets; their is always a flat area on one side of the basket to aim at. While making your approach you have to decided where you want to land on the green to be in a good positon to putt. Just like in ball golf.

I like the openess and length of the back nine. It allows the player to pick differnt lines to get to the basket and not worry about clipping a branch/limb if you throw a shot that may be a few inches off line.

When manicured, this course reminds me a of a par three ball golf course. The grade of the land is really beautiful and blooming flowers make the course stunning.
Cons: More trash cans needed. Alot of maintenance required to keep the course looking good, especially if referring to the long course. Some of the holes on the long course have long transistions (holes 13, and 14) But in my opinion are worth the walk if the walk way is trimmed.
Other Thoughts: Some of the holes are close to train tracks and the road to enter the park. I think the roads are a nice use of OB, traffic is not really and issue. You may just have to wait a couple of seconds for a car to go by before throwing.

One for the big arms.

1    6/2/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Eastway is all about open; it gives you some wooded holes to balance it out but make no mistake, this course is the alternative to the wooded technical juggernaut that is Charlotte disc golf.

A huge plus for this course is that it can suit a wide range of player levels. Beginners will have fun because they're are very little trees in their way. More skilled players with distance have a chance to get out and let some shots rip.

The open holes are generally designed pretty well by adding some risk and making you think twice before just letting one go. There's OB and some thick woods lining fairways; as well as some well designed basket locations near OB and on the crests of hills.

There's not a ton of elevation out there but where there is it's used very well. Some of the baskets are on knolls to make you think about where you want to place your drive. Overall I'd say this is a placement type course and you won't find yourself worrying about hitting a gap like many other courses in the area.

The wooded holes out there provide a nice balance even though they aren't overly wooded themselves. You will have to shape a few shots to land in good position for a look at birdie.

7 holes have longs which is either a long basket or long tee.

The course flows well and it was pretty easy to find your way to the next tee.

Equipment - Teepads are concrete and appropriately sized in most cases. The baskets are in good shape.

Atmosphere - I played the course while it was getting ready for Worlds so it was very well manicured with lush grass. It's a nice looking park and when you get away from the road there are some very nice looking holes. There's some awesome looking trees out there. It has the city park/rolling hills feel to it.

The design is done well to keep you away from the other park activities.
Cons: Layout - Having so many holes run up and down the park road is a drawback. There wasn't much traffic when I was there but I could see it being a pain.

The wooded holes give balance but I wish a few more of the shorter holes were a bit more technical.

Part of the course feels a little repetitive and there's a lot of straight throughout the course.

14 long is imo ridiculous. To play down a tight gap for 300' with an island of OB there which is nothing more than a dead end road is an eyesore and bad design, the shorts on that hole work just fine.

Equipment - The pads on the longer holes need to be wider or more flush with the ground. Nothing is more frustrating to me than having to worry about stepping on to a teepad a few inches off the ground when I'm trying to bomb something and land close.

There's no signs or traschans.

Atmosphere - I prefer a feeling of solitude when playing dg and here you don't get it. A good many of the long open holes aren't great looking holes because they run next to the road. The immediate rough off of fairways is super thick.
Other Thoughts: I'd give this course a 3.25 if it was an option. If it didn't have the road running through the middle and gave you a bit more solitude it would definitely be a 3.5. The open bomber fun factor is why I rounded up instead of down. I enjoyed my round so it gets the bump up.

The course probably leans a little to open for most peoples taste but honestly I loved it. I've got a big arm and the chance to get out of woods for a round was a little piece of heaven.

Favorite Holes -

2 long - great downhill shot from the open in to the woods with OB running through it which gives great risk/reward.

3 long - really fun uphill shot in to a protected green that sits on a steep incline. if you've got the arm you can deuce it.

5 - best looking wooded hole on the course with a creek running through it and to the left of a rollaway green.

13 short - my favorite bomber hole, it has more eye appeal than the ones by the road.

18 short - beautiful tunnel shot with a Y tree right in the middle down the fairway; and the basket elevated so you can see it through the Y.

Holy Hell an open course........well mostly.

5+    6/1/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course can be one of the most beautifu courses in charlotte when it is groomed.

It is mostly open which is a nice change of pace

Really nice pads and teesigns.

There are several fast greens and OB that can cause headaches which balances out the openess of the course.

I like the few wooded holes that will test the accuracy of the player and have a "Survive to score" feel to them.
Cons: It can get a little rough at times during the summer. and become a disc eater.

There are no trashcans and the course can tend to get messy at times.

Directional signage could use a little help. The road can be busy at times and could be seen as a negitive to many however I find the OB factor to be worth it.

Other Thoughts: This course, when groomed is absolutly stunning and has some of my favorite holes in charlotte( 2 long, 17, and 18). It gives you a chance to air it out but with the risk of OB on almost every shot.

I definatly recomend this course to anyone visiting for a change of pace and the fact that its located withing a 5 min drive of 4 other courses.

Solid & Open

5+    5/15/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: curmudgeonDwindle
Other Thoughts: Course located in a multi-use community level park on Charlotte's east side, and plays out over largely cleared piedmont landform with utilities/water catchment earthworks. The park's main feature is a long entrance road, which parallels railroad tracks, and 7 of the courses' holes play out along this road. Due to the 'cleared' nature of this park, not only does this yield a different 'feel' from other area courses but, without a doubt, the time, expense and difficulty of construction was a relative 'breeze'.

The course is predominately sequestered from other park activities and the park's overall scale is large, about 90 acres, which yields substantial opportunities for future course developments.

Amenities and equipment are above average, overall, but the creek fords don't inspire the greatest confidence. Tee pads are inconsistent regarding their size. 15 of the targets are mounted at the standard height. Signage was non-existent at the time of writing, but routing is orderly; the only way-finding issues are minor and exist mainly in quickly finding long tee locations. Course does not have returning 9s, but does offer a nice 10-hole returning loop (1-8, 17&18).

Course should experience a high volume of play, as not only is it extremely 'play-able' but also players here experience some relief from the harsh technical demands of other area courses. Substantial play-affecting wind is a consistent factor here. Few real drainage problems extant 'in the short grass' even after above average rain events. Parking overflows into #7's fairway on busy park days and this park is busy.

Overall the course decidedly favors stable clock spin shot shapes from the tees, however this is balanced by the trouble (read: thick rough & ob areas) for poor fade control of same. Frequently even on straight holes, the tee is set to the side of the fairway which gives a stable clock spin shot shape 'more room' for play. Stable counter spin tee throws strongly favored on 'road holes' regarding ob (ob is on the left); 'road holes' equal roughly 1/3 of the course.

Course will reward conservative play with a strong emphasis on fade control. As is generally the case with courses in this area, there are high rewards for flat straight shots of up to 300' (re: iconic #4). Course uses terrain changes very effectively, blunting the relative uniformity of hole distances. In fact, only a single hole (on the short course) is flat (<2% slope) from tee through green. Eastway also offers 3 very enjoyable downhill tee shots in 'free' air (read: ace runs). Elevation changes are perhaps the single factor most important in creating a 'fun' course, with a returning challenge. Extensive roller play possible when turf is shorn (a roller on these days may be the best scoring option from the tee, which is an unusual feature for courses in this area).

Course is 'fair' in the following aspects: overall scoring chances, few blind holes/landing zones, and very open greens, however long throwers could overwhelm the back nine or the entire course for that matter. Some rough is extremely penal, not always in keeping with the size of the throwing error. Of note are the course's intentionally cleared bailout areas, all of which favor a fading clock spin shot.

Course displays good creativity in green locations and in the main, greens are exceptionally open. Half the greens are flat (< 2% slope) and the other half are either moderately sloped or feature lag-inducing drop-offs. As for spin receptivity, 10 are neutral and another 5 are more 'clock receptive'.

3 greens merit special mention. #5 is a tiny knob, surrounded by ob on 3 sides, which repels both spins, especially at speed. #8 is a clock receptive knob (from the tee), with steep drop-offs on 3 sides, and #17 is specially constructed to dramatically enhance the sheer drop-off along its right side. Reviewer appreciates this trend toward constructed features in disc golf, as not only do they improve the play experience, but also help mitigate safety and erosion issues (more foot traffic = need for more maintenance & more concern for safety).

The differences between the long and short courses consist in the lengthening of 6 holes. Four holes are directly extended and the other two become doglegs, one left and one right. The only potential 'design issue' would be the large ob area in the middle of long #14's fairway. This constitutes a blind carry of roughly 400', which some might consider 'unfair', but since only those wishing a greater challenge would play it, this issue is minor. Once one knows it is there, play decisions follow accordingly, as there is the opportunity to 'play it safe'. #18 long is a terrifically imposing uphill look from the tee.

Eastway is one of this area's most enjoyable courses because it is so open. Not only does it allow experimentation with the different dynamics of disc models in 'free air', but also there is plenty of wiggle room here to experiment with different shot shapes, especially created from the disc's angle, which is a rare offering in Charlotte, where the omnipresent design ethos can be quite suffocating. Conversely, if one's score is high at Eastway, one cannot blame it on the trees.