Raleigh, NC
Cedar Hills Rotary Park Share
Hole #1 Tee: Short, tight wooded hole. Drop off right behind the basket.

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3
Tough course but forgiving

2-4    9/23/2017   9/23/2017
Review By: Poster Nutbag
Pros: -Primarily tight wooded holes but there are also some nice open fairways to rip a drive into.
-The course is nested in a great park. It is clean and beautiful. The drive through the neighborhood to get here is always pleasant.
-I love the hard, rocky ground on most of the holes. It works well with skip shots.
-The roughs are not too dense so you are unlikely to lose a disc outside of the water hole. You can usually find some window out of the rough so shanking a shot isn't a par killer.
-I will keep playing this course to work on tunnel shots and elevation changing holes. I usually score higher here than I do at other parks due to the long par 3s with baskets heavily guarded by trees. I found myself with a lot of obstructed approach shots which is a nice change from some other courses.
Cons: -It seems to favor the right hand backhand player. I try to play left handed due to tennis elbow in the right arm but some of the dogwood left holes were too sharp to left hand anhyzer.
-Although the tee boxes are a short walk from the last basket, the course could use better signage to the next hole.
-Good chance of losing a disc on the hole with the pond. There isn't a good way to play around the way.
-There is often noise throughout the whole course from the tennis court, basketball court, playground, and baseball fields but you will get this anywhere
Other Thoughts: I would like to go swimming in that pond and find my Mako 3 and probably a hundred other discs! This is one of the only courses I have played where shooting under par seems like it will take work.

Better With Age

5+    7/9/2017   7/11/2017
Review By: DonkeyCopter
Pros: Location! What a great location for a disc golf course, centrally located in north raliegh.

Variety - Mostly woods, but you get wide, narrow, uphill and down, short and longish, doglegs, water.

Challenge - There is enough challenge to keep advanced players interested, yet the course is accessible enough for beginners. Solidly intermediate.

Signage has much improved over the last year, along with upkeep and litter maintenance.

Course tends to play differently in different seasons due to tree foliage.
Cons: During peak times, the course will get crowded, and the location is such that often there will be families with young children throwing frisbees. Some of the holes are near basketball courts/playgrounds and a softball field, so there is opportunity to hit pedestrians passing through to one of those attractions.

On days where there is a recreational softball game going, 11 can be unplayable due to kids/spectators playing in the fairway.

There is moderate potential to lose discs here in heavy underbrush or leaves in the fall. Poison ivy everywhere. Lots of mosquitos due to pond and creek that runs adjacent to many holes.

Some of the tee boxes feel a little bit short for a run up appropriate to the distance of the hole.

Moderate amount of litter, and the bag holders by the tee boxes seem to get vandalized often, rendering them useless.

There are 3 parking lots for this park which all sit adjacent to holes. It can be difficult to find the 1 tee if you mistakenly park in a lot that isn't the one by the 1 tee.

No big ravine tee shots, which are everyone's favorite.
Other Thoughts: There are no recent reviews on this course, so I figured I'd give it a go, as someone who has played hundreds of rounds here. I'm a relatively inexperienced intermediate player who averages around even par on this course, with my best score at a -6.

Despite this being an intermediate course, there are many ace-able holes here for the longer arm, 1, 3, 4, 6 (short position), 7, 10, 11 (blind though), 14, 15. This can make for an exciting round though none of these aces are easy to come by, and its adds additional replayability.

The flow of the course is good, and navigation is pretty easy without a map. Just don't miss 8 which is to the left and up from the pin of 7, it could be easy to skip on through to 9 which is through the tree line behind the 7 pin.

Holes:

1. Short slightly downhill and straight, moderately wide tunnel in woods. Pin just below crest of steep drop off. Don't go long, throw a putter or short midrange from tee. Consider forfeiting the ace run and throw a hammer for a higher percentage birdie chance.

2. Big crescent RHBH downhill hyzer. My best results come from using a super stable long driver and going high and hard on a flatter line, then letting a hard fade and hopeful skip park it near the basket by the creek.

3. Uphill and straight through a mostly wide wooded fairway. I like forcing a stable disc on a mild anhyzer (Thunderbird works well) with a fade left into the green area.

4. Short ravine with pin slightly uphill, and a big tree obstacle in middle of fairway. Good ace opportunity if you work a short midrange (stingray, leopard, putter) into a slow flip.

5. Longer uphill par 3. Go hard at the big tree at end of fairway with a stable driver (RHBH), let the fade bring you to basket. Takes a long arm to park this one.

6. Short pin position is an ace opportunity. Best results have come from using a stable midrange (Buzzz Ti) on a flat release and going to the right of the cluster of trees in front of the tee shot in the middle of the fairway. I'm not a big fan of the trees there, as they are so close to the tee that it can really cut off the line options.

7. Water! it takes 250 to clear the pond (slightly downhill) from the normal tee. Don't be tempted to rip a long driver or you'll end up in the woods behind the pin and have a scary putt downhill with water just behind the basket.

8. Blind dogleg right into the woods behind fenced in power tower. It's best to play this as an island green where not making it over the logs into the wooded area is a penalty. best results come from a RH flick using a very stable disc or anhyzer RHBH with an understable disc to get a lucky roll into basket area. This is a much tougher hole in Spring/Summer as going high enough to float into the green area will nearly 100% get caught up in the heavy tree line foliage.

9. Open uphill. Bombs away! Best results when pin is on the right side position is a low drive over the road that skips off the pavement into bounds. Don't flip it though, street is OB!

10. Basically no one plays the long tee here, so move up to the tee with the bench behind it. Downhill narrow tunnel, short position is an ace opportunity, long position is MUCH more difficult and nearly unfair as a par 3. I like to throw a pro Valkyrie here on medium speed to get a touch of hyzer flip.

11. Uphill hyzer, wide open with pin blind up in left corner by parking lot. Go low and hard when grass is short to get a nice skip to basket, or high hyzer towards the softball field fence.

12. Long downhill, wide wooded fairway. Keep it low because of the distance and OB road on the left side. I like my star wraith here.

13. Long uphill par 4 with a wide wooded fairway. just go straight and long or else you will have a long blind 2nd shot approach up the hill.

14. Short and slightly downhill with a pretty wide wooded fairway. Steep dropoff behind pin. Plays similar to hole 1, and a hammer throw can work well here too.

15. Downhill with a narrow tunnel that opens up to a wider space near basket. This is an ace run for a longer arm and is reachable with a midrange despite the distance.

16. Swamp hole, OB very much in play. Narrow tunnel with OB fence/creek on left, opening up to an area with a leafy tree that guards a hill that slopes up to the right, with the basket perched on top guarded by trees. A long flick could be the way to go here, but a RHBH will have a tough time getting in position to birdie.

17. Short dogleg left uphill with a very narrow tunnel of trees in front of the tee. Best results from using a stable driver thrown low on a hyzer angle and getting a nice skip.

18. From the long tees, its a medium width tunnel uphill dogleg left with a wide tunnel uphill approach. Getting there in 2 takes length and accuracy.

5+    4/25/2015   4/29/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 9/8/2017
Pros: Cedar Hills is a classic Raleigh course. Kentwood is a year older, technically, but Cedar is its bigger brother. It's a very challenging, but generally fair course.

+ Good variety of hole layouts and distances. I've played this course 80+ times and keep coming back. It's not boring or monotonous.

+ Good use of OB, both real (pond on hole 7) and manufactured (pretend water on 8, parking lot on 9).

+ Alt pin placements, so you never know what you're going to get when you play here. Holes 1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 16, and 17 have two pin positions. Rarely are the all in the front or back positions on a given day, so the course is pretty consistent in the challenge that it offers.

+ While I have lost many a disc in the hole 7 pond, I must say that it's a favorite hole of mine. It's one of the easiest, if not the easiest hole on the course, yet the water messes with your confidence. It's a great hole for ace runs. I haven't gotten it yet, but ONE DAY!!!

+ This is a very wooded, technical course. There are a few holes to really air it out (7, 9, 11), but basically everything else plays through woods. Most of the fairways are well-defined and fair. (Except 17, which I hate!)

+ Good mix of downhill holes (1, 2, 6, 10, 12, 14, 15) and uphill holes (3, 4, 5, 9, 13, 16, 17, and 18)

+ Two fun par 4's (13 and 18, from the back tees). Hole 10 plays more like a par 3.5 when the basket is in the long position.

+ Navigation isn't a problem at all. There are several holes where you can start, which comes in handy to beat the crowds. Besides hole 1, the most popular starting hole is 12, which is next to the parking lot at the back of the park, off the Spring Forest Road entrance. You can also start on hole 4 or 5, near the main entrance.

+ Other facilities at the park include a baseball field, basketball courts, tennis courts, and a playground. There are bathrooms, but they're pretty nasty.
Cons: Cedar is my current home course, but I can't overlook some of the flaws:

- The top flaw to me is some of the tees. Some are cracked or not the right kind of concrete. I hear that there are plans to update many of the tees in the near future. This is a fantastic idea.

- This is more personal preference than an unbiased observation, but I HATE hole 17! It's a short, uphill hole, but you have to hit a narrow gap < 20 feet from the tee. Other players who are more skilled than me might disagree and find this hole fair, but I don't!

- This is a popular course and often times there are lots of people playing it. (It's still not as busy as Kentwood.) I've never had much of a problem playing through though.

- If you like to play early mornings, like I occasionally do, be aware that the main entrance to Cedar has a gate that does not open until 8:00 or 8:30. If you play early, try the Spring Forest Road entrance. I've never seen that gate down.
Other Thoughts: Try out this classic Raleigh course!

Precision Needed

5+    7/1/2014   11/21/2014
Review By: Stable
Pros: Typical NC course that forces you to become precise and execute tight gaps. One of the oldest courses in the state and is really well put together for how small the park is. I enjoy playing course a lot and it has forced me to become more precise.
Cons: There have been reports of car break-ins around the park. Not a bad area but tends to have some hoodlums floating around.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy this course and recommend to anyone in the Raleigh, NC area.

Finesse over force

5+    9/26/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: 1Atom
Pros: Nice mix of shots with multiple tee pads, a few pin locations rotated monthly, and benches at every hole. New tee signs are are almost done getting sponsored and should enter the production stage soon.
Other Thoughts: I live near the course and check the pond on hole 7 from time to time. I can't promise I'll find your lost disc, but I'm always a gun for hire if you need someone to retrieve it.

Rough but solid

1    5/21/2012   11/29/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 hole course set mostly in the wooded portion of a seemingly heavily used park.
- Easy to find, plenty of parking, bulletin board/kiosk, pavillion, etc.
- Excellent use of the woods to create some fun lines, defined fairways, challenging throws, etc. - these holes were well thought out and provide a lot of variety
- A few open holes are mixed in letting you stretch your arm a bit, but they still have OB on the sides to consider, which is great - too many courses I feel have open holes where you can be 100 feet off-target and still be in bounds and have any easy look at your approach
- A lot of different shots are needed/encountered here - left, right, uphill and downhill - you need a wide arsenal of throws to score well
- Multiple tees on some (most?) holes create some variety
- I think some of the holes had multiple basket positions (only 1 basket at a time), but it was tough to tell without tee signs on most holes (see below)
- Concrete tee pads with solid footing
- Water in play on a couple holes (long pond throwover on one hole and a small creek near the OB line on another)
- Demanding - I like wooded courses that require finesse and this is definitely one of them - you need to be precise with many shots in order to succeed
- Some benches and trashcans - some sort of Boy Scout project over near holes 10/11 with an installed "bag holding post" and maybe there was more to it that I'm forgetting
- A few holes were real solid and fun - hole #2 was a fun downhill hyzer (RHBH) with a solid chance for birdie, hole #7 requires a 200 foot or so carry over a pond to the basket set just on the shore with trees guarding behind it, hole #8 plays as a RHBH anny using a power line lattice tower as a fun, change-of-pace obstacle, hole #12 is a fun, narrow downhill tunnel with an OB road punishing long drives, hole #16 has thick brush just in front of the tee and little OB fence along the left side with the pin tucked amidst some slopes and ditches in a more open area
- Basket #18 spits you right back near the parking lot, in view of hole #1
Cons: - After driving through the nice little neighborhood to the parking lot, I was surprised to find that this park felt like a run-down dump - dark, rough and shady
- Tee signs were mostly there (some completely missing), but mostly useless - too many of them were broken and busted up to be helpful - I had to walk up the fairways many times to see where I was throwing (baskets blend into the wooded background)
- No overall course map online or at the park - blind navigation was probably the worst out of any course I've played thusfar - no next tee signs that I recall - I think I blazed a new trail from basket 6 to tee 7 - walked in circles for 10 minutes after hole 7 looking for hole 8 and had to ask guys teeing off on hole 11 where the hell I needed to go - went on some crazy roundabout way over a bridge/walkway thing near the playground to find tee #17 (or maybe it was 18 - can't remember) - I know if a map is put up at the course, it may be vandalized, but at least get one online or try to have guides/signs at the baskets
- Footing was rough in some spots with stumps and roots tripping me up a few times
Other Thoughts: - Definitely some helpful folks in the area - ran into two guys and a dog early on the front 9 who pointed me in the right direction and recommended I get over to Buckhorn since I was in town for a few days - the guys near 10 and 11 easily helped me find my way as well

This was a very solid course design itself, but just lacked some of the things that make for an overall better DG experience. I suppose this is understandable if non DG-people are ruining signs, throwing trash, etc. which is unfortunate. If I'm ever back in town, I would definitely stop again, though.

Nice, fun course

1    10/16/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: SirMartin1st
Pros: Well designed hole layouts. Even though I much enjoy more open courses, this is a great wooded course. Going off the fairway does not mean going into over grown brush, stick, thorns, etc.. Which is great.
Like I said I loved the hole designs. The course was well maintained and was a good walk.
I had no problems parking and the course was not busy.
Cons: I am not a pro by any means. I do not have a PDGA number. I found the pars to be higher than the hole should be.
On a par 5, I drove it pin high just missed off the left. I had a putt for double-eagle but missed. I had a tap in eagle. Same problems on some of the par 4s. Easy to drive to the basket and I had tap in eagles.

My biggest complaint is the lack of directions of the course. I had a hard time finding the next tee box on several occasions and I could never find hole #8, just went to hole #9. They could simply spray paint a bar on the basket toward the path to next tee box. I have seen this done on other wooded courses.

I cannot blame the course or the local club but there is much vandalism and missing hole signage. Some holes I had to guess the dogleg, par, and distance. So I guessed par 3s and hoped the fairway was the right one. Perhaps paint the distance and par on the tee box.
Other Thoughts: I just moved to Raleigh and this course I feel is a must play. I will enjoy playing this course again and I cannot wait to see what its like in the summer.
I would defiantly recommend anyone to go play the course.

cedar me please

2-4    7/28/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: sharkking15
Pros: nice course
good variety of different style holes
works well around park
practice hole
Cons: mad amount of trees
watch out for roots
could use mor signage/markers
Other Thoughts: good course to challenge you, best to use overhand and side arm throws, careful for the pond, sont want to go in that water DIRTY!!! fun course to play when you have sometime off and eant to get away and let out some stress.

Cedars and Hills

5+    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 7/31/2013
Pros: Layout - I think there's a decent mixture of shots out there. On about half of the holes you'll need to the work disc in some manner with the rest being basically straight.

Many holes give you different options on how to attack the fairway by giving you wooded but defined fairways with a high canopy.

Some solid elevation changes on the course, a few areas that drop off quickly mid fairway and behind the baskets.

The course does a good job of creating risk/reward with the greens and basket locations, several baskets are near OB or sit right on the crest of a hill.

Some tricky OB placement on a few holes that can cause danger if you run at the basket.

It's not a long course but the longer holes are mixed in nicely to keep everything from being shorter shots. There's a few par 4's thrown in the mix where you'll need to place your drive in a good place to get an easier approach.

There's multiple tee pads on some holes and some holes have alternate baskets. The longer pads can really stress the accuracy of your shot or make you move the disc more.

I'd say the course leans towards more of a technical style but the course isn't overly difficult, you will need to place your shots really well to grab birdies though. Casual players should have a good time here and not be overwhelmed.

Overall from a strict design standpoint the course is really well done.

Equipment - The main teepads are concrete and pretty big. The baskets are older but most still catch pretty good There are benches and traschans throughout the course. Navigation isn't an issue because there are defined pathways and most basket to tee walks are short.

Atmosphere - The course is in okay shape despite its age, there is litter around the course but it's not that bad. You'll see everything from old trees to rolling hills and a small pond. The course does a good job of keeping most of the holes away from other park activities and pedestrians out of the way.
Cons: Layout - There's not enough mixture in terms of open to wooded. Many of the wooded holes are more of the defined fairway types but I like to have some longer bomb holes thrown in the mix.

About half of the shots are basically straight on. That's probably the biggest drawback to the design.

You play a few holes in close proximity to parking lots/park road.

Equipment - The signs haven't been redone in a long time and they should be; some just aren't there anymore The short pads are not high quality.

Atmosphere - The park is older and its age shows when you're out there. There's a growing erosion problem on some parts with a lot of exposed routes and in a way parts look run down because it's seen so much use. It's a really beautiful park in the fall but not one of the more pristine courses in the area.

The course gets lots of traffic, think about what time you go.

You're never really secluded out there and that's one thing I look for in courses. You're next to parking lots, playgrounds, ball fields quite a bit even though the course was designed well to keep people using those facilities out of the way.
Other Thoughts: It's a fun course and that's the biggest thing going for it. Really well designed but showing it's age. Needs some TLC.

Favorite Holes -

#2 - It's a big RtoL Fade shot down a tunnel that dumps down a hill. It's a fun and good looking hole

#7 - It's the pond hole and from the long tees you'll need a good drive to get it across and close. Watch out for putts coming back towards the pond.

#11 - Big hyzer on an open hole with OB behind the basket and woods on the left. Fun shot.

#13 - Up hill and long, probably the hardest hole on the course and you'll feel good with a 3.

#18 - Good finishing hole that requires a precise drive from the long tee to set up the approach.

One of my Favorites!

5+    4/10/2011   5/24/2012
Review By: jmitch
Pros: Love the mix of holes, some easy and harder.
Like how the course starts with shorter holes and gets longer to help me get going with a cold arm (get your deuces early!)
Nice throw over hold with basket close to water.
Cons: Some of the holes need some maintenance (overgrown).
Better tee pads

Other Thoughts: great course, I usually play there while I'm in Raleigh visiting family.

< Prev 1 2 3