The Colony, TX
Bill Allen Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: Marty McFly Hole #11 (Taken 8/2010)

Share URL:

Good course variety, Could use a little redesigns

1    12/17/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: araytx
This review was updated on 12/12/2012
Pros: Good variety of shots needed to score well on this course, not really righty favored or lefty favored (balanced) ... except that two very short birdie holes (#s9, 14) have a slight righty advantage. I liked that there were tee shots that the righty FH flick anny was a better choice than the righty BH hyzer -- made the course more interesting.  I didn't use it on #12 (played a layup and longer approach to get a 3), but next time I'll try that FH anny.  (My second round we had a lefty and after he anhyzered for the best drive of the day, I realized that.)  The protected baskets on #s4 and 9 should make you not take those birds for granted, so be aware.  It was early winter so no reeds on #6 and pond was low, so the shot across was more like 285.  #8 is a blind shot, I used a RHBH turnover both times so be sure to go very high and wide if that's your shot of choice.  Saw others try lots of shots there aka thumbers, spike hyzers, RHFH.

On #10 a lot or reviewers thought it was tough to deuce; I had long deuce putts (45-60) both times by going midrange anny up and over the short trees on the left.  The first one would have been parked but hit a low branch by the basket on the way in and rolled backward.  I think you would need pretty good accuracy to go straight at it.  #11 is a sick hole (see other reviews) -- at least one other option needs to be opened up.  My suggestion would be to cut a reasonable opening above, then center the tee box to equalize for righty/lefty.  #13 needs a huge RHBH skip shot, flick roller, or LHBH roller to get close, but the casual water was there when I played so deuces were basically out of the question.  When playing for a safe 3, no need to use a driver.  On #15 I got deep both times with a BH roller, first time was 75 feet away and nearly birdied on approach.  I had practiced this one that morning and the S shot seemed tougher to me.  #17 -- if you can't blast it over the tree line (like me) then be sure to finish to the left side of the opening to get a clear approach to the basket.  #18 I didn't like the straight line to the basket at all.  All risk -- if you get through it's a likely deuce, but if you don't,  a sure 4.  I played the layup through the right hand opening going around the OB water (along #17's fairway) for the easy 3.
Cons: Like others said -- no restrooms, and for a course in a neighborhood you really need them.  I didn't see this course's woods having thick enough foliage to overcome the lack of restrooms.  Troublesome designs on #s11, 12, & 18 which basically limit the thrower's options.  The ace run holes (#s3, 9, & 14) are way too short if all three can be reached with a putter by an average disc golfer like myself.
Other Thoughts: I played this course basically blind at a recent tournament, so please take this review as coming from an am rated around 900 playing it for the first time.  Overall I liked the variety and the way the design was intended to make use of all shots; I didn't like the three holes (#s11, 12, & 18) which seemed to me to be very impractical, either from the guess & hope throwing lines perspective or poor balance of risk reward perspective.

Saw 2 reviewers did not find my review helpful at all. Please send me a PM and tell me your thoughts about what could improve my review.

Great Course

5+    9/4/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: lajoie24
This review was updated on 12/30/2011
Pros: This is my favorite course in the area. It has an incredible combination of holes. You have ace runs on 3, 9, and 14 while praying to get pars on 10, 11 and 12. You'll have drives in the open, over trees and ponds, creek side, through forests, uphill and downhill. It never seems to be too crowded. The course is well maintained.
Cons: Tee boxes. Put some concrete in those tee boxes. They're currently some sort of decomposed granite/sand mix. Rolled an ankle on one of the holes. Since then, I'll drive off to the side of a few of the tee boxes because of the compromised footing
Other Thoughts: I would easily up my rating if they installed some concrete. Get out there anyways. You'll love it!

Great Course!

1    9/25/2011   9/25/2011
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Baskets are in great shape.
-Doesn't seem to be too busy.
-Great mix of wide open and narrow tree passages.
-Plenty of benches and trashcans.
-Great use of available terrain and water.
-In the middle of suburbia. Great for quick rounds after work.
-Plays fast. My group of 3 with a new player finished in about 2 hours with 2 groups passing us.
Cons: -No bathrooms. There is a portapotty at the parking lot.
-Difficult to navigate the first time.
-Gravel/Dirt pads. I am not a fan of them. However, they are well maintained.
Other Thoughts: Great course to bring someone new to the sport to. Wonderful mix of wide of wide open fairways to seriously narrow thread the needle shots. Gives them a taste of nearly everything the sport has to offer. Course runs fast for experienced players so it is great to squeeze in a fast round on the way home from work.

Nicely done

5+    6/2/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Youll use every shot in your bag, which makes it fun. Nice variety of distances for big arms and finesse players. Great use of the whole park. A windy day won't kill you here.
Cons: Long. Takes a while to play a round. The walk to play holes 4-9 is a death march in the heat. Watch for snakes, and I was attacked by bees here.
Other Thoughts: Strong, challenging course. Big boy course. Wish they would have just kept the old front 9 and put 9 more in the back. Love this place though.

Holy Guacamole Presto Changeo

1    5/16/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: Donovan
Pros: Wow! The change from an easy 9-hole course to a fun 18-hole course is impressive. The hard work really shows. This course has OB, water, a drop-off creek, open-holes, wooded holes, ace runs, protected baskets, some elevation, and a great layout. The variety of hole length and type of hole (woods, elevation, open, water) is really mixed. Playing this 18-hole layout for the first time was pretty cool. I was surprised often at what hole was next. It was not a predictable layout. That made it exciting. The baskets are great and the tee sign were excellent. The crushed granite tee pad "boxes" were actually great to throw on. I enjoyed this option, as they were not too slick and not too rough. Parking was great and there were plenty of trashcans along the way.
Cons: Navigation only get's you hung up a little now and then. Just look for the trashcans to find the holes that are a little harder to spot. BTW, when you get to the drop-off creek hole, you can walk around and cross a bridge just a little further down the sidewalk that is behind you. There are no rest room at this park, but the is a play ground that I am happy to say, doesn't come into play.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor here is high. This place is a great time. I am so thrilled with the constant changing of the type of holes, that it feels like it never gets boring. I wish this one was closer to home. I would be playing here much more often. I don't know who Bill Allen was, but it is a great memorial. He would be humbled by the work that was put into this, in his name! Kudos!

Very fun

1    3/20/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: Lorider680
Pros: -Great shot selection
-variety
-seclusion
-course map is perfect
Cons: -kind of hard to find
-the pond shot is meaty
Other Thoughts: This course is great. A disc golfer of any talent level will have fun on this course. Precision is needed on a few holes but possible. Everyone hates the tree on 1
F

2-4    1/22/2011   2/1/2011
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: EXCELLENT shot variety. From short to long, lefty, righty, straight, very tight, very open, and everything in between. This course has them all.

The fun factor is high on this course due to the variety.

Water is a factor on many of the holes which adds to the pucker factor.

Good Tee signs.

Large framed and packed crushed granite tee pads. Concrete is coming soon but in the mean time being these are better than a muddy hole.

Good flow that starts and finishes at the parking area.

The shot over the pond is one of the longer water carries I've ever played. You can either go for the birdie if you can throw at least 320' or you can lay up short and then throw over it for a pretty easy three either way. Good risk vs reward hole.

The thorny rough is such that it really rewards accuracy and punishes errant shots. Most throws that are not in the fairway will cost you at least a stroke.
Cons: No concrete teepads (but rumor has it they're coming soon). Not that big of a con since I'm from Austin where all our teepads are dirt.

After hole #11 you have to turn right to get to hole #12. If you go straight down the trail instead of going right you will come to #13's tee, so it feels like #12 was added as an after thought. Then you have a long walk back from #12's basket to the #13 tee.

No restrooms.

The water and rough may make this course a little frustrating for newer players. I played it in the dead of winter and it was pretty brutal. I can only imagine what it's like with leaves on the trees.
Other Thoughts: I played this course when it was an easy little nine holer and am pleasantly suprised by the redesign. Whoever was responsible really got this one right. I might just kick it up to 4.5 after it gets concrete.

1    12/27/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: TYVEK
Pros: nicely laid out course, good variety of shots, nice area and little to no litter.
Cons: deffinately needs concrete tee pads. it looks like the baskets were not assembled correctly because alot of them had the lower chain ring resting on the bottom of the basket instead of hanging freely like it should.

it also looks like the baskets are not all installed at the same height. it would be nice to see more brush removal.
Other Thoughts: all in all, i had a great time playing this course. since it is a new course it has some kinks to be worked out but all courses do. in a couple years i think this will be a fantastic course to play.

Something for everyone

1    12/7/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: riffraffrasta
Pros: -Just like other reviewers said, big variety. Tunnels, Wide open, long short, dog legs, obstacles and hazards.
-Challenge vs. reward is good. Good use of land.
-Good signs, detailed and not vandalized.
-Fairly easy to navigate
-Trash cans
-Crushed rock/dirt tee pads.
Cons: -Tee pads are going to need maintenance soon.
-No restrooms (at least that I saw)
-I'm sure it can get pretty bad after a hard rain
-Drainage areas smell
-Kind of trashy (which is sad because there are A LOT of trash cans.
-The scorecards and maps were gone
-The tree on #1 (dumb)
Other Thoughts: Great course in a neighborhood park. Great place to work on your all around game. Distance, accuracy, finesse and shot choice. Windy days could be frustrating but it was not an issue the day I played. I live in Dallas so the drive is a little far and it is tucked back in a neighborhood pretty far from any major highways. I will definitely play this course again and hopefully soon. Well worth your time if your in the area or close by.

Great signage!!!

1    11/5/2010   11/5/2010
Review By: memphisrider93
Pros: I loved the layout of the course incorporating a nice creek a couple little ditches and some water. The signage is AMAZING!!! Every other turn you would have a sign pointing to the next tee. The tee signs are very good also with having the next tee box on it and having good accurate representation of the hole layout.
Cons: Some of the holes have real poor routes such as 11 and especially 12 that has a very wide S as the route that is near impossible to get through. There are a few nasty spots on the course where I encountered some snakes.
Other Thoughts: I would really like to see a Tournamet held out here. I would love to see some good scores out here.