Lakewood, WA
Fort Steilacoom Park - Northwest Share

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun course mostly through woodsy area

5+    1/6/2021   1/13/2022
Review By: PHDParrot
Pros: A lot of fun holes with interesting elevation change elements. Good course design with lots of open space. Great natural terrain to walk through. Relatively tough to lose a disc. Good parking and fairly easy access. All around solid course.
Cons: Not much of a practice area. Couple of the wooded holes are a little too wooded. Good enough to be a nice destination course but no aspect of this course will blow you away.
Other Thoughts: Proximity to SE course is a plus. BIG trees in the hole 1 area.

Very Good!

1    7/3/2020   7/7/2020
Review By: royvin
Pros: -Some nice elevation change, especially holes 1 and 16
-Great mix of fairway shapes and distances
-Most baskets have a metal arrow under the cage pointing in the general direction of the next tee pad
-Maps at each tee pad with hole number and distance
-Long concrete tee pads
-Attractive and well maintained
-4 Practice baskets and an open field next to the parking lot
Cons: -Hole 12's tee pad location
-Beginners will need to bring a spotter, but this really isn't a beginner course
-I was confused at a couple points as to how to get to the next tee pad, but it didn't take too long to find them
Other Thoughts: From reading previous reviews, it sounds like this course has come a long way- and I believe it! It was fun to see a couple old style baskets out there and to imagine how much has changed over the last 30 years.
I really enjoyed the beauty and variety the NW course offers. I crave downhill throws and #1 and #16 were certainly satisfying. Also throwing across the pit at hole 11 was fun and there is a nice set of stairs to walk down.
I didn't like start of hole 12. You are forced to hit a small gap with sizable drop-offs to both the right and left and even a great drive can't reach the green due to the stiff right turn uphill. I'd prefer to see the tee pad at the base of the hill- it would be safer for those walking up from hole 11 and it would still be a fun hole.
But overall this was a great round of 18 and I highly recommend this place for serious disc golfers.

1    3/27/2019   3/27/2019
Review By: Breh
Pros: The northwest course is a great compliment to the southeast. It's a pretty wooded but fair 18 hole course. Hole 1 starts off by the roadway on a very fun downhill throw. This course has great elevation change, with one signature hole I think it's hole 11 or around that a super fun downhill throw. Great mix of distances with couple par 4s thrown in. There's a couple birdie chances but also holes you can get in trouble. Even with being wooded course finding disc isn't to hard as it's in pretty good shape. Good mando signs and fair fairways. Nice tee pads and okay tee signs. Overall a fun challenging course for sure worth the play.
Cons: First timers might get confused as hole 1 isn't where you would assume. Take a picture of the course map on the kiosk board. There's what I'm guessing our old tee pads around make sure you play the holes with tee signs as all but hole 12 have one. The walk from hole 4 to 5 is confusing hole 5 should be a 500 and some foot par 4 if you're playing the pro tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Outside of getting turned around a few times this course is great not many complaints all besides a couple our good holes. For sure worth the day trip to play all 3

Another high quality course at Steilacoom

1    1/6/2019   1/23/2019
Review By: Schreuds2.0
Pros:
-Very Nice tee areas, signs are helpful and clear, tee pads are well kept concrete
-Fairways are very well kept, nothing is overgrown or hazardous. The one strange thing was a abandoned cabinet in the middle of an open area, not sure what that was all about
-Roughs are in great condition too, they are trampled to perfection so that they are accessible, but penalizing.
-Elevation is where I believe this 18 beats the SE 18, this course has the same amount of elevation, but, it is used far better.
-Trees: this is a wooded course, and so the trees should be used well, and, they are
-Very pretty park, one of the nicer settings you'll play disc golf in, I mean, it isn't like a national park or anything, but much better than some.
-There are a wide variety of shots on this course, I didn't get to play all 18 holes, but I played about 15, and had I played all of them I think I would have thrown just about every disc in my bag.
-This is one of those courses that seems like an institution, one of those that has at least one guy there whenever you come to play. It isn't really anything special in terms of design, but it definitely feels like a part of the community, which is super cool.

Cons:
-Basket visibility, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, grey Chainstars are hard to see in the woods, I played as the sun was setting, so that was an added wrinkle also.
-Navigation is a little tricky here too, I spent about 5 minutes looking for hole #1, I'm sure locals have no problem though.
-I didn't see any OB cords like I saw on the SE course (I assume those were OB cords) and I think this course could stand to be improved from the addition of a little OB
-If there is anything that might keep this course from 4 stars, it's the equipment, Chainstars just aren't very good Baskets, and I know that's kinda a lame reason to not be this courses biggest fan, but they just don't cut it.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course, I think it is just about as good as a single set of 18 tees and 18 baskets could be (in terms of design) but there are some factors that pull it down.

Top 3

5+    3/8/2017   3/8/2017
Review By: Kastled5
Pros: In top 3 of Washington courses:
1. Well designed with a variety of difficulties -terrain, distance, elevation, and signature natural obstacles. Every shot will be tested.
2. Beautiful grounds
3. Up-to-date baskets
4. Championship level: top pros compete here every year (see FSO on YouTube)
5. 2 more courses on location and 5+ layouts between all 3 courses.
Extra: this course naturally protects players from the elements, though a few holes are obviously affected to add difficulty to the few open longer holes.

#1 of the 3

1    12/26/2016   12/29/2016
Review By: PNWTurnandFade
Pros: Good verity of hole shape, length, and elevation changes.
Decent signs
Great tee pads, some extra long. I have an extra step in my run-up that necessitates me starting off the teepad but I didnt have to on some of these.
Hole 11 was especially fun, not a long hole, just over 300, but it drops about 6 stories down into a wooded ravine, very fun, I played that one twice.
Holes not too crowded, not packed into a small space.
Arrows on baskets pointing to next tee-pad.
Cons: Could use better signs on the course to help navigate, I did get lost on my first time. The locals pointed me in the right direction. I did miss one or two holes though. Hole 1 is hard to find.
Other Thoughts: Of the three courses this is my favorite, it's not close to my house but I am willing to drive the 30 min to it every once and a while. Would recommend. When it looks like your gps is taking you to the Golf course just trust it, it's not confused, the disc golf course is right next to the golf course. The first course you come on is the south east course, then you go up the hill and you have the 9 hole course and this course. Hole one playes down the hill into the woods on the north side of the parking lot. Walk back down the road you drove up about 20-30 yards to see the teepad on the left. The tee by the map is not hole 1 that's 16.

One of the best in the Northwest

2-4    2/7/2016   4/3/2016
Review By: b-mart
Pros: If you only have time for one of the courses on the Steilacoom property? This one is it. It's easily the toughest, but I think that's what makes it the best.

Equipment: It's what you'd expect from a championship level course. Quality baskets and long, level teepads.

Navigation: There's a map on the kiosk near Hole 1, and most of the holes have signs on the teepad.

Design: The design is what really makes this course stand out. It offers plenty of variety and will challenge every shot that you have in your bag. Odds are good that it will challenge shots you don't have in your bag too. You start with a technical, downhill right turning hole, and from there it gets easier. For one hole. Then you're challenged again. You have long open left turning, big sky hyzers, slight uphills, technical downhills... You go right, you go left, you go up, you go down, you throw out your arm, you lob a mid-range or putter, you throw a sky line, you throw a roller... And then you hit a tree and rocket off into underbrush that is easy to navigate but hard to get your disc through in less than three shots. The Grove offers everything. I feel like this is Western Washington's answer to Pier Park, even though there's only one section of trees that feels like that place and it's a more difficult course. It's 300ish holes through the woods, and it will challenge even the best players without being too soul crushing for the casual ones.
Cons: Equipment: No equipment cons to speak of. The baskets are older, but that's okay. They're still in great shape and still catch discs.

Navigation: Navigation at Stilly is pretty bad across the board. There's a map relatively close to hole 1 (but closer to hole 16), and most of the holes have signs on the tee. But the baskets need tape and there should be "next tee" signs. Especially considering how many different layouts you can play here. I remember when I first played Stilly I did some mix of all three courses that somehow flowed into 18 holes. I don't know how far off we were, but I never will because there's also been a redesign. The flow works pretty well, but there's enough confusion here that first timers will need some help. I could honestly copy and paste this section for all three courses at Stilly, and that's disappointing. If this, the best complex in Western Washington, had better signage it would rate even higher. One plus to the multiple courses and the redesigns is that locals will never get bored though. Even if they get tired of all three courses, they can always throw a mix. The last time I played there was a group playing the "old" am tees, and there's plenty of room for safari layouts.

Design: I want to call the design flawless. It's pretty darn close. If I reach for something, I guess it would be that holes like Hole 4 are nearly impossible for those of us who can't throw far AND high. The low line is pretty well non-existent. It's a very challenging hole and tons of fun to watch someone crush with a bigger arm, but I obviously don't like holes that are essentially an automatic bogey. Not much of a con overall, but it is for people like me. So I may as well leave it here.
Other Thoughts: I've said before that the best compliment you can pay a course and its designer is that playing there regularly will make you a better disc golfer. This is obviously true on some level for most courses, but every now and then you come across a course that kicks you in the teeth so hard that you want to come back and conquer it. And each time you come back you shave a stroke or two off, until you finally get kicked in the teeth again. And then you come back. Again. And again. And you start feeling like a terrible disc golfer, until you leave and go play one of your "usual" courses and realize just how much better the tougher course has made you. This version at Stilly is one of those courses. I hate my scores there, but it makes me better.

Best of the trio

2-4    12/15/2014   12/31/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Probably the best of the three courses at the Fort, the NW run is distinct in that the terrain adds groves of fir trees to the masses of oak trees and scotch broom and grass that dominate the property. Where the SW course is more open, this one is more confined and difficult and has a more diverse mix of holes.

The course starts nicely with an elevated tee where you are throwing a a L-R shot through a forest of mature fir trees. You will get a chance to do the reverse of this shot through the "cathedral" on the 16th hole as well! You will get a chance to experience this type of elevation change again on holes 11 & 12, but the course is fairly flat for the most part. They use the forest and scotch broom as primary obstacles on the course - you won't find any really open shots to unload here except on #17. The fairways are fairly tight and technical. I loved the challenge!

The signs were really fantastic - showing a map of the hole, distance, and direction of the next tee.
Cons: A couple of navigation issues - especially trying to find #13 tee. We had the map (found on this site) and still were walking in circles to find that tee - a little sign with an arrow would make a big difference!
Other Thoughts: A first class experience - with 45 holes on the property you should set aside the whole day to get the full experience!
I rate this (NW) course a 4
I rate the (SW) course a 3.5
I rate the (Rays 9) a 3.0

Middle Level of three great courses all from one parking lot...

1    8/7/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: 53Clubs
Pros: The easier of two 18 hole courses on the property and more challenging then the 9 hole course on the same property, this is a great, well balanced course with enough challenge and variation to keep any player interested and unintimidating enough to allow any level player to be comfortable and have great fun.
Some in the woods, some in open grass, but no real underbrush to eat your discs (with a couple notable exceptions in the hole 13-14 world where you do really need to keep your eyes open).
Perfectly groomed and superbly planned holes with great pin placement. If this 18 hole course were the only thing here, it would be worth an hour drive to play regularly - but it is only 40% of a masterfully built and maintained DG complex.
Cons: Navigation can be tough - if you have someone nearby or anyone who has played it, bring them with your first time - if not, find someone there (this is only one of the great things about disc golfers - they are always willing to help, and frequently willing to just have you tag along).
The only 'real problem' with this course is that it is too far away for me to play every day - if I could, though,... I certainly would.
Other Thoughts: I really can't say enough good stuff about this complex - a great 9 hole shorted course, then two great 18 hole courses with varying levels of challenge - 45 outstanding holes before you ever have to get back into your car.

One time-1000 baskets

1    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Baskets and pads everywhere and I'm just talking about the Northwest course. There are two other courses here. Some very great looking holes, some very challenging holes, and one great across a canyon hole. Need to know the course or you are lost!!! Lost!!! Lost. Try to get someone with you who has played the course.
Cons: #1 con...no signs pointing to next pads and some of these pads are way hidden. #2...no arrows pointing to basket locations---well there are some but they are wrong! No trash cans---so pack you need to pack your trash out...easy.
Other Thoughts: We were lucky. We were searching for #3 pad when a couple said they would show us the way. If they hadn't we would never have played the 'official' course. Many people playing there had their own course laid out. One foursome was behind us about 3 holes then in front of us for a couple then we passed them on another hole---they were having great fun anyway.
I read were there is a lot of vandalism here...that's sad. It would be great to have a box with maps but the creeps would ruin that.
I did have a great round and a lot of fun. Will play it again when in Tacoma area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4