Long Creek, SC
Chattooga Belle Farm Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #18 (Taken 8/2010)

Share URL:

Holy Cow.

1    10/5/2017   10/5/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/13/2017
Pros: -Note: In this review, I'm going to up vote this course and give it a 1 because of how great the shop is, and because of what it once was. The course is a true horror right now.

-Okay, where to start off, the course design itself is great. It has some awesome elevation changes. Especially on holes 2,3,11, 12, and 16.

-I'm going to try and stay positive because this review is going to be an angry rant in the other thoughts. As for the shop, it's five stars. They have salt water taffy, lollipops, blenheim's hot ginger ale (which is the greatest soda!), their very own hot sauces, and their very own jam that they call T.O.E Jam. It's a tangerine, orange, and elderberry mix. And I'm sure it tastes better than actual toe jam.

-They have a meat section in a fridge. I chowed down a whole summer sausage while driving before I even got back on the highway.

-Their cider is pretty good too. They have something called Cherry Apple Cider. I got the peach cider, and it's really good.
Cons: -This is subject to change, because it'll most likely be worked on in the future. But as of now, you might want to grab a beverage, have a snack, possibly contact your boss that you'll be late for work/not show up if you decide to read this review.

-The reason why this course is looking terrible is because the staff lent their maintenance equipment to someone else and they haven't gotten it back yet. It's time they call and get it back.

-And onto the course. DO. NOT. (expletive). PLAY. THIS. COURSE! There's purple grass everywhere. That means TALL grass. If the grass height converted to human height, we'd be getting results in the double digits (in feet). And no human being has ever been that tall before. Grass is so high.

-You will get seeds in your shoes if you make the mistake of even walking this course right now. I dumped a bigger number of seeds out of my shoes than the number of bits of sugar I put into my cups of coffee over the past few weeks probably. I probably got a good bazillion seeds in my leg hairs. And I walked into my room and took off my socks, a bunch of seeds dumped out and now they are on the floor.

-Hole 11 is next to a cow field. Easy to avoid, I get that. But you never know, a cow could potentially break loose.........

-Natural tees. Once again, not a problem to me. But they are hard to find on some holes. Even with the map. I couldn't find hole 2 or 17. Because the PVC pipe pads are in the middle of the orchards. Not my idea for a great hole.

-#2 and 17 long. If you decide to play these holes from the long pads, you are making a bad mistake. The tees are located in the middle of tree orchards. Nobody likes a blind shot into eye height grass. #2 is a serious mess from the short. I had the audacity to throw a boatman, annnnnndddd it's gone. Gone like the GameCube. Imagine if I played this from the long.

-Hole 5's basket is tilted and warped. Perhaps a cow went loose and didn't watch where he's going and KABLAM! Maybe that cow learned his lesson.

-How in the name of Peter Griffin do you get to hole 9 to 10 without scdaddling through the woods and over a big fallen tree? Create your own trail of tears! A transition such as this one is a maze composed of piss and vinegar.
Other Thoughts: -It seems to be that the staff are selling their goods for a bit too low of a price. Between my purchase of salt water taffy, blenheim's ginger ale, a jug of peach cider, and summer sausage, it was under $13. I would've paid more for all of that. The parking area was full when I arrived, so it seems to be a crowd pleaser, and they seem to be making a good profit. I think they should raise their prices a little so that they'd have an easier time maintaining this course. Because you lose the overgrowth, and you've got a nice course. But as of now, you don't even have to pay the $3.

-With all the weeds, Chattooga Belle Farm is the ideal place to quit playing disc golf for good. You could simply empty your bag and watch your discs disappear in the gallows.

-It's like seeing a profile on an online dating site. You see a beautiful woman, you arrange a date, and once you show up, you don't see the woman, you see a Boy George instead. I came excited, but saw a different course than what I saw on the media. Course looks pretty onsite, looks bad in person to where you feel scammed.

When I threw on hole 2, I thought it didn't look too bad from the pad, but when I realized I lost my disc cause I could not find out where exactly I threw it, it's not playable. I set myself up to lose it.

Due to current condition, this course is the equivalency of an ultra, die hard left-wing professor that smokes two packs a day, and has a striking resemblance to both a hippie and a lumberjack. He seems nice enough, and the material seems approachable but once you take your first exam, you realize he's a GPA killer, and ripped you and your parents off. You try to set up an appointment but he's like "(exhales smoke) Don't worry. It's okay. 90% of the class failed." Some holes may look playable from the pad, but they really aren't. Do not let it rip you off. (I'm not trying to bash any political party with that statement, because there usually IS a prof like that at a university.)

-I felt like I was the star of the movie "Honey I Shrunk the Kids." I'm almost six feet tall and some weeds were taller than me. A few people outside the shop probably thought I was lost.

-You want an accurate description on the course conditions? Here ya go! 3 + 1 + 1 + 1.5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 +1.5 + 1 +2 + 1 + 4.5 + 2 + 1. Add that all up and divide by 18 and you get a 1.58333333. Only reason why it gets that is because hole 1 looks average and 16 is looking good aside from the grassy pad. I also thought 16 was a great steep uphill hole. The upshot is a fairway between two rows of trees. The elevation increase is DEFINITELY not 500 though. It's maybe 65' up in elevation. Aside from that it's unplayable.

-I hope it gets revived. If it does and you happen to see it, PM me because I'd love to play this course while it's an good shape. Hole 12 is an awesome hole that I wish wasn't overgrown. It's an awesome huge downhill that give an over the lake option.

-But the shop.....PERFECT!! I WILL BE BACK FOR MORE OF THAT GINGER ALE AND CIDER! I was like "HAAAAA-LLELUUUUUUU-JAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sigh) CA-HOUGH! Ugggghhh.

1    12/2/2016   12/2/2016
Review By: EROPPER
Pros: Great scenic views of the mountains, A Nice workout, being a long hilly hike around the course. Some interesting Holes, especially the back 9, around the lake, and others with elevation. Nice Baskets(Innova)
Cons: No teepads, Couldn't even find half the PVC pipe markers for the "teebox", no tee signs or directions to the next hole/tee, exception being a nice hike through the woods to the back 9, Long Grass, easy to lose a disc
Other Thoughts: For a pay to play course, I was expecting more, like actual TeeBoxes and signage, trash cans would have also been nice, But the Mountain Views and the atmosphere are superb, depending on what time of the year the course is played, the Disc Golf course seems like an afterthought and obviously It's not a high priority at Chatooga Belle Farms, probably won't play again

Disappointed

1    5/25/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Hollywood
Pros: The view is amazing and the course design is awesome if you play it at the right time.
Cons: I hate giving this course such a poor rating but the time I played it I was completely let down. I was looking forward to playing this course but when we arrived we saw they were rolling recently dried hay which made for a completely miserable experience. Lost a disc on the very first basket. After that my group was unable to find any of the "tees" (if you want to call a piece of pvc in the ground a tee). We got around to basket 5 and spent a good 10 minutes or more looking for the tee before giving it up. We had to dodge the hay bailers in between throws. When we finally got out of the open and into the woods part of the course, it was so overgrown we just couldn't play it. The grass was hip high and insanely buggy so we just skipped out on the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: I really hope my bad experience with this course was just a fluke happening. I'd really like to give it another try and see if the outcome is any better in the future. Beautiful place to play if the course was better maintained.

Beautiful views!

5+    9/1/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Marge
Pros: -great mountain views
-long distance through hilly terrain makes for a solid workout- bring water
-good use of water hazards
-awesome incorporation of the course into the working farm, orchards and cows galore
-new touches to the farm each time we play, including increasingly impressive tree house platform with hammocks
-all around beautiful, secluded place to play a round
Cons: -tall grass at times
-no shade for the most part
-the fields have claimed 4 of our discs thus far
-tees are not really established, no tee pads or clear markings. grab a map.
Other Thoughts: lost 2 discs on hole 12- one champion leopard in transparent yellow and one opaque yellow with a lazy frog dye bought on our honeymoon in marthas vineyard....if anyone finds them, would be very very thankful if returned

Worth it for the view alone

2-4    9/28/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: Dsplayname
Pros: Everyone says it: THE VIEWS. I've played at dawn both times I've been here, and there's no better way to play it. The beauty of the Sun rising over the crest of the Blue Ridge Mtns is amazing.
The apples. It's awesome playing around an apple orchard. If you visit during the proper season, the apples are huge and delicious.
Not many people. Both times I've played, there was nobody else there, and I would assume that even during the peak times, this is not a crowded course.
Lots of elevation changes add a bit of challenge to walking through the course and gives it a nice "day-hike" feel.
It's clean, quiet, and tranquil. All the things we love about mountain courses.
Open fairways and mountain-top tees make this a great course to bomb some long shots. It makes you feel pretty good about your game while still requiring a fair amount of skill. Unforgiving roughs and sloping terrain will make you think about placement and shot selection rather than just ripping a power drive out in a general direction.
Cons: Not really anything in the way of benches or trash cans. I usually like to see at least 1 trash can per 9 holes on pay-to-play courses.
It's a pretty open course, with little opportunity to shape shots around trees or other obstacles.
I've played at dawn both times I've been here, and the morning mountain dew can really soak through shoes and pants quickly. Especially when the grass is long. Not really anything to do about this, but it does come into play.
The grass can be longer than I'd like, but it is a mountain top farm, not a country club.
Tees are just plastic strips on the ground, so it can be hard to find them, especially with the tall grass.
No signs to indicate fairway lines on a couple of blind holes.
It can be hard to find your disc, even in the middle of the fairway. This isn't all bad though, as it forces you to pay attention to placement more so than many other courses.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. It offers panorama views of the surrounding mountains, clean air, and long drives. It's not tight or technical, but it is a fun course to play. I've rode up from Atlanta both times I've played it, and it is well worth the 2 hour drive and the $3 to play. I understand the owners don't want to cut into the woods to make wooded fairways, and that's fine. This course is about having fun and getting out to throw some discs on long drives. It's family-friendly, so bring the wife and ankle-biters out for a day in the Blue Ridge Mountains of apples and disc golf.

Spectacular Views; Decent DG

1    7/23/2011   7/30/2011
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -The first thing that must be said about this course are the spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You really have to pause to take it all in.

-Along with great views come amazing "Top-of-the-World" Shots. Amazingly fun throws downhill.

-Nice new Innova x2 chain DISCatchers.

-Great use of present elevation. Variety of uphill/downhill, etc.

-Great risk-reward shot with lake.

-This course places a premium on Drive & Approach shots. Good place to practice.

-I love the look of fairways with knee-high rough.

-Amenities at the cabin are awesome. Bathroom is very nice with new tile and no-flush urinal.

-Apples, Peaches, jam, and muscadine wine available at the shop on site.
Cons: -Somewhat lacking in variety of shots. You throw long open hole after long open hole...

-This course can be absolutely grueling in the Summer. Very little shade, long walk, and long throws.

-Grass was tall even on the fairways (about 3-4 inches for a tournament).

-Natural tees.

-I know this has been said, but the woods really need to be utilized. This would be a stunning 27 hole course if the added 9 included tight shots through the woods.
Other Thoughts: This course is worth the trip if just for the views and throwing those "Top-of-the-World" shots. I would go in the Fall when it's cooler.

This course is akin to Lake Russell, but did not pull off the look and feel of LR due to the lack of trees and lack of variety of shot.

I wanted to give this course a 3.25, but went with a 3 and this is a Solid 3.0 disc course. If the above issues were fixed this could easily be a 4.0-4.5 disc course.

Dear God, the Scenery

1    9/13/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
Pros: -THE VIEW
-Great use of elevation
-Distance variation that makes up for any repetative play
-At least 2 holes with 2 paths around trees (no heavily wooded, but by no means completely devoid of obstacles)
-Apple orchards provide natural corridors
-2 holes with lake hazards (luckily neither is necessarily dangerous if played conservatively)
-Mountains in the distance, best view is near dawn when the Smokeys are really foggy
-Deer, cattle, and even a quaint beaver dam between 9 and 10
-The back nine has well placed picnic tables
Cons: Nothing huge, compared to some of the places I've had the misfortune of playing, but to keep down bias, I'll force myself to think of a few:
-No trash cans to speak of (Pack in, pack out!)
-Front 9 was lacking places to pop a squat, and that is where the elevation makes a bench desirable
-ALOT of poison oak literally everywhere
-No signage for holes, mostly not a problem, but 2 or 3 baskets are hidden from pad.
-Would like to see Pro pad and Womens separated, perhaps one on each side of fairway
-Shop is not open on Mondays, so I couldn't take advantage of the Apples that are in season, as there was no way to pay for what I would pick.
-Fairways could have been cut shorter and wider, but it wasn't awful. The rough on the sides of the fairway is what I would call awful to walk/search in. (Comparable to the front 9 at Hurricane Shoals in Maysville, GA)
Other Thoughts: -Would like to see more trees in play, but apparently the farmer does not want to cut down the woods to make wooded holes. My suggestion is to bring the course closer to some of the treelines and orchards in a couple of places. All in all, there was enough trees in play to be more than content with the challenge.
-If you have the gas and a car to get here, DRIVE ASAP. Pay the 3 bucks, its worth it. I drove just over 100 miles, and did not regret a second of it. Appalachia at it's finest. I suggest dawn and I am sure when the leaves change it will be breath-taking. I literally had to stop multiple times to take it all in!

Course design clarifications

5+    8/21/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: mwierda
Pros: Big open course, beautiful views.
Cons: Big open course.
Other Thoughts: I am posting this to clarify a few things on the design of this course. I was one of the designers and I have seen lots of comments about how the woods are not used. The woods were not used and are not likely to get used b/c the owner of the farm did not want to cut any trees. So, don't expect that to change. This course was specifically designed to be a long bomber course. If you don't have a big arm and don't like long holes I would suggest playing somewheres else. We (the designers) are discussing a few tweaks to the course but no major changes.

Beautiful scenery, course Ho-Hum

1    8/21/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: Absolutely breath taking scenery! Catch it as the sun sets and it is stunning. The course was wide open with hardly a tree to hit.
Cons: Except for being really, really long, it wasn't all that challenging. Basically you had Long throw up hill, long throw down hill. You could summarize the course this way: Thow down hill, throw up hill, repeat as necessary.
Other Thoughts: If you're heading to Toccoa, or have time to kill (this place is waaaay off the beaten path), stop by, drop a few bucks in the offering plate and enjoy the scenery as you throw a few discs

Nice multi-purpose farm

1    8/5/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Brand new course with new Innova Discatcher baskets, and a practice basket next to the shop. Very, very scenic land with some woods, fields, rolling hills, vineyards, orchards, etc. Also a VERY nice pavilion/shop at the beginning with orchard/vineyard type products, which I'm assuming will soon house a nice pro shop. Very nice bathrooms also in the pavilion, which is open air and very modern.

The fairways are well-mown and you will have no trouble discerning them from the surroundings. Tees were marked at the time I played with flags with the hole number written on them. Course is fairly easy to follow, and no problem using the map.

My memorable holes:
3 - Longest hole on the course, but plays downhill, so I had no trouble parking in two shots. Very neat row of apple trees you have to throw through off the tee.
6 - Not too long, but the fairway rises then drops then rises again, basket hidden behind a tree.
9 - The only real "wooded" hole, but still very open. Up and over a rise, then the basket is just shy of the mucky lake, so to don't overthrow!
12 - This is what I would call the signature hole. If you have the cojones, throw over the water and take the shorter route. If you are a scaredy-cat like me, go the safe route to the right around the water.
16 - Not the longest hole on the distance comparison, but it plays WAAAAY longer than any other hole on the course. Uphill almost 500 feet, but the hill is about 30 degrees, and is a BEAST.
17 - After the monster that is hole 16, this is a nice little short downhill shot to let you relax a minute.
18 - Plays between the vineyard and an orchard, in kind of a small valley, ending up a small slope right down the hill from the pavilion.
Cons: No tee pads or tee signs. I understand the no signs yet and the pad issue should be remedied once the final layout is determined, but it would have been nice for the tee areas to not have dips that are begging to twist an ankle.

The entire course is mostly straight and not terribly complex. The elevation and farm scenery certainly help make up for it, but pretty much most of the difficulty comes solely from pure distance.

The rough, which is everywhere but a fairly narrow strip on each hole between the tee and basket, is very rough. The owner of the farm gave me some great advice, "When you throw, watch exactly where it lands, and walk directly to it without taking your eyes off of it". This could not be more true. Hopefully the fairways can be tamed a bit more in the future.

No next tee signs, and quite a long walk between 8 and 9. Then when you exit the trees to go to 10, you have to make sure you walk past the tee for 14 and not play it instead.
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 3 could be a little higher once the course if finalized with some concrete tee pads and tee signs. Also useful would be benches and trash cans on the course. I did enjoy this course, although I did not enjoy looking as long for errant throws in tall grass as I did actually playing the course. I did not have to pay a fee but I understand once the course is finalized it will cost $3 to play.

Scenically this course cannot be beat, it is absolutely beautiful. If you are in the area, I suggest stopping on by. Being a multi-purpose farm, it is also cool that there are several other activities on-site (see their website).