Canton, MI
Freedom Park Share
Uploaded By: taboo8614 Hole #5 (Taken 8/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Well kept pitch n putt course

5+    9/18/2017   9/20/2017
Review By: tbonesocrul
Pros: - Concrete tee pads
- Well maintained fairways
- Variety in shape of holes, some holes also have multiple approaches
- Tee pads have metal numbers in them
- a few scattered benches and tables
- tree lined fairways still require accurate throws
- the rough is well kept, not a lot of poison or thorny plants
Cons: - The layout is confusing, I still walk the wrong directions after holes and have to do a lot of backtracking
- walking trails near several holes so look before you throw
- Graffiti :(
- No elevation in the park, so no elevation at play
- the park is older so some of the concrete pads are cracked and uneven. The baskets are older models as well.
Other Thoughts: Being a 9 hole course in a multi-use park on small land is always going to make it tough to provide and amazing disc golf experience. That said I was impressed by how the fairways were well defined and the holes were shaped to force you to use a lot of different shots. While you can easily play this course with 1 putter only, you will be forced to throw many different lines.

The improvements I could see helping this course is better signage, something as simple as bricks near the baskets pointing to the next holes. A few trashcans on the course would help. Some more expensive improvements could be new baskets or redoing the concrete tee pads (though that would definitely be overkill for what this course is).

As a recent transplant to MI this course has been a nice place to work on my form and try different styles of throws. Being used to open courses without wooded fairways this course is a great place to work on control and placement. If your disc does go into the woods it is generally easy to find because there isn't too much ground cover.

1    3/9/2016   3/9/2016
Review By: torihanus
Pros: 1.) Course has concrete teepads, which is always a bonus in my book.
2.) Course is in a park, which can be both a positive and negative. A positive is that it utilizes the land well. You get a variety of dogleg shots, along with narrow and wider shots. In addition, the course uses the trees to its advantage.
3.) Baskets are double-chained and grips well.
4.) Course is free to play, another bonus in my book!
Cons: 1.) Navigation would have been tough for me, if I didn't have my boyfriend with me. There aren't any "next tee" signs to help you navigate, and that would have been useful for a couple of the holes.
2.) Signage is horrendous. Most of the holes don't have a sign up, or there is a sign but someone graffitied over it. You had to walk down some of the fairways to find the basket.
3.) Course is in a park, so many of the holes are next to bike/walking paths. Be careful of pedestrians!
4.) Only saw one trash basket at one of the holes, and it was full. The course could use maybe one or two more.
Other Thoughts: A passable course for Canton residents like myself. Only a five minute drive for me, so I'm sure I will be there more often than not. This course will definitely help me out with my accuracy with narrow drives.

lost keys

5+    9/13/2015   9/20/2015
Review By: PerfectPair
Pros: concrete tees, easy lay out to get used to.
Cons: trash left behind by other golfers. I know they do not provide trash cans throughout course but you can take it with you...
Other Thoughts: we lost a set of keys on this course...if found please contact me via email at TamiBachman@gmail.com, thank you!

french fries? NO, freedom fries!

1    11/5/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- plays through a small park in the suburbs. areas are NOT disc golf exclusive and there is a walking/biking/running path that intersects several times. be careful!

Teepads-- nice, concrete. was not expecting concrete at a 9 hole course but hey, it was a pleasant surprise!

Challenge/variety-- decent variety here. lefts and rights are nicely balanced with a couple straight shots. Narrow tight lanes abound here.
Cons: Routing and nav-- the maps provided on here are not good. very hard to follow them and the routing here is abysmal.

Signage-- the routing wouldn't be as awful if the signage was in place. I found 2 or 3 actual signs throughout the park... I hate when signs are missing and you're guessing where to throw.

Baskets-- remind me of cass benton. they are rough and spray painted... Much like the signage they are not taken care of by anyone.
Other Thoughts: decent park, reasonable course just not spectacular by any means.

My first disc golf course.

2-4    8/5/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: Trizzor
This review was updated on 8/25/2013
Pros: Easily accessible, very quickly played.
Great for beginners, short holes
Very little bugs or mud the few times I've been
Cons: Extremely busy
Cramped; A volleyball court, playground, tennis courts all within feet of a couple holes.
Lots of trash and broken glass around the tees.
Two cracked cement tees of nine.
Other Thoughts: This was my first course ever, it made me realize that disc golf is more than just throwing a frisbee. This course got me hooked on the game, and I've been loving every minute since.

Decent for where it is at

5+    8/7/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: The Yodeler
Pros: -Quiet neighborhood
-Well maintained fairways
-Numbered tee pads
-Very little to no waiting time
Cons: -A little overgrown on a couple holes, kind of easy to lose a disc or two
-Floods really bad, hence pretty muddy
-Mosquitos are very very bad
-Very short distance holes
Other Thoughts: A decent little course if you're looking for a practice round or two. Also good if your strapped for time. I personally go here to practice putting. It does a good job utilizing what little space it has.

Great course

2-4    8/6/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: moods5588
This review was updated on 9/25/2013
Pros: - It's a very easy course to find your way through
- fairways are taken care of pretty well
- good for a quick 9 holes
- short holes so it's a great beginner course
Cons: - wooded areas offer a lot of places to lose a disc
- a lot of the signs have been beaten up pretty bad
- could use some trash cans throughout course to help with amount of trash throughout course
Other Thoughts: mosquitoes are pretty bad right now so I would definitely bring some bug spray. I haven't run into a huge amount of people playing the course. The few I have seen have been very courteous and friendly. Lets keep the game clean guys. Take out what you bring in.

Easy lunch break

5+    7/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: rdblake01
Pros: Close to work for me. It is very short, with a few shots that wind thru trees. You do have to be accurate on a few holes in the trees. I can play 18 and be back to work in less than an hour.
Cons: It is short. I play with a midrange and putter, and I am a short thrower. Mosquitos are BAD this time of year. Mainly due to the low areas around the course.
Other Thoughts: It gets very wet in the spring. This is a good course for beginners or if you work in the area. I would not make a special trip to play here unless you can't throw over 200 feet.

Don't go out of your way

5+    5/7/2013   5/14/2013
Review By: leindecjoeld
Pros: -Cement Tee Pads
-Easy to follow layout
-Good use of small area
Cons: -Always busy
-Little variety
-Course floods in spring
-No real challenge to the course (all holes are less than 300 ft.)
-Holes throw close to walking paths/people will just walk through fairways.
Other Thoughts: If you live in the area this course can serve as a quick practice course. The course is short, and it plays very fast... provided there is not a line at the tees. I have been stuck waiting for 4-5 groups to play through at holes. Every time I have been here the course has been busy.

In the spring the course floods quite a bit. This flooding completely covers the tee pad for hole two, and in makes the wooded holes (5-9) muddy. This mud combined with the heavy foot traffic makes a mess of the fairways and walking paths.

This course is not all bad. I will use this course to work on my putting game. It is a nice change of pace to be able to play an entire course with a putter, and this course absolutely allows one to do this. If you have a little free time and you live in the area this course can give you a good warm up or some nice practice on your putting/ mid-range game.

Freedom "IS" Free

1    9/3/2012   9/3/2012
Review By: Cantolope
Pros: Clean, nine hole layout combines several ample drive opportunities through fields and several nice approach shots through tree hallways. Light Underbrush makes it easy to find discs. Light or no wait times.
Cons: Limited obstacles. Poison Ivy everywhere if you throw an errant shot. 1st tee can be difficult to find. (Its behind the playground, south/south-east of the parking lot)
Other Thoughts: I don't know what all the complaints about joggers are about. None of the holes played directly onto or over any jogging path. At two or three points the jogging path is used to travel between baskets but this proved no problem. I didn't find the local youth to be troublesome at all, in fact they're quite helpful if you need help locating a tee (especially the 1st)

< Prev 1 2 3