Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: danostrowski Hole #6 (Taken 3/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3
Socal Beach Life!

2-4    7/20/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: Solid, quality course. Baskets are in good shape and the park is a dedicated disc golf facility. It's pretty dusty and dirty, but there is a tremendous mix of holes and terrain out here. Some shots are wide-open across the fairways, others are tight tunnel shots or low-ceiling drives. The first five or so holes play around the edge of the facility and incorporate elevation, trees and bushes into your game. There are a few different angles to take on each hole, but if you miss expect to be punished.

The rest of the course winds back and forth across a fairly flat park. Most of the holes are within the 300-350 foot range. Most holes have MANDO's to keep the fairway limits in check. I didn't know they were out there the first time I played so I had a great round initially! The second time I played it became a much trickier experience lol.

Holes 11-13 are lined by a equestrian center and OB fence. We got to watch horses walk by 20 feet from our teeboxes while we waited... and that was pretty cool!

There are about 5 practice baskets to worth with right next to the proshop. Most holes have benches to sit on near the teeboxes.

Other great things:

- Dedicated staff at facility
- Friendly club and regular events
- Pro shop on site
- Practice area for putting and approaches
- Scorecards, etc available in pro shop
- Dedicated disc golf facility
Cons: If I wasn't playing with a local, it would be quite hard to navigate my way around this course. The close nature of all the baskets means it can be quite confusing to know what teepads go to which baskets.

Mandos and dropzones were hard to utilize properly without a local guiding me. Some of the teesigns were not correct as well because they recently changed up the layout.

Also the holes are all pretty close to each other... like really close to each other. I've never been to a course where I heard FORE so many times in one round. None of the fairways cross over each other, but they all run parallel in opposite direction. Keep your ear open and if you hear someone call FORE, duck and cover!
Other Thoughts: This course definitely fits the Socal beach vibe. You will meet so many cool people out here. The staff is great as well... very friendly! Keep an eye out for the little lade that takes aluminum cans from the trash cans lol. There's a small $2 fee for a round, but it's worth it. If you're planning a visit to the course, check for weekly events! The place fills up quite a bit and can get quite bust. Parking is right outside the course. If it fills up, you can park across the street at the sports complex. Grab a map from the proshop if you can. Enjoy the round, watch out for other players, and have a great time!

Nice city course

1    3/28/2017   4/17/2017
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 4/25/2017
Pros: -Huntington Beach Disc Golf Course is a nice 18-hole course located in the 350-acre Huntington Beach Central Park. Park amenities include fishing, horse trails, picnicking, baseball, library, and nature center. The disc golf area is disc-golf only, always a plus.

-The course features a good mix of holes. Holes 2-5 are more wooded, and on a hillside. They provide a nice contrast to the rest of the holes, which are moderately to lightly wooded and generally flat. I believed I used every disc in my bag.

-Many different types of trees present different challenges. Tall, short, wide, and skinny, the variety of trees require a variety of shots.

-The pro shop was just a trailer, but being from Oregon, any pro shop is a plus in my book. They offer a selection of discs and snacks.

-This is a great place to practice your putting, as there are FIVE practice baskets. One of them is elevated, too.

-The Discgolfpark baskets were nice and new. They featured a built-in arrow on the cage pointing the direction to the next tee.

-Good variety - two tee pads and two basket placements on most holes.
Cons: -The course is a bit cramped. Given the site they had to work with, the designers did a very good job. They avoided criss-crossing holes and used mandos where appropriate. Still, many of the holes were too close together for comfort. Hole 10 has a basket placement about 20 feet from Goldenwest Boulevard.

-I was not a fan of the rubber tee pads. Some of them were uneven and many were very dusty and easy to slip on.

-Even during the week, there were a some large, noisy groups drinking and smoking. During the weekend it would probably be jam-packed.

-The course was extremely RHBH friendly. As this is my primary shot, I didn't mind, but for leftys or forehand players it would be a LOT of turnovers. I only threw a forehand once, on #15.
Other Thoughts: -Being near the ocean, this course can get windy. Not to ridiculous amounts, but enough to make you think.

-There is a nominal $2/week and $3/weekend fee for an all-day pass. Totally worth it.

-The only restroom was a port-a-potty by the pro shop.

-This course has gone through modifications due to the new senior center going up next door. Because of this, some of the pictures, as well as the hole distances on this site are incorrect. Many of the distances on the tee signs and the scorecard available at the pro shop are incorrect also. Please put up new distances and photos if you can.

-The map available at the pro shop is mostly correct, but not in color and hardly legible. I made and uploaded a new, correct map to this site complete with all current tee and pin locations. If this course undergoes more modifications, please contact me to update the map.

-I found out about this course on the original Champs vs Chumps video. It looked fun, and it certainly was. I'll be back!

A classic course with tricky shots

5+    2/3/2017   2/4/2017
Review By: travelsurflive
Pros: - Nearly always good time to play here, since we dont get any snow, and not much rain
- nice baskets and decent pads
- tricky shots with areas to skip it into putting range
- dog, beer, 420 friendly
- shop to get snacks, drinks, discs, and rentals
Cons: - signs are missing
- pay to play
- gets very busy
Other Thoughts: This is my home course I have played hundreds of times and it still keeps me guessing!

Challenging and fun

1    12/11/2016   12/15/2016
Review By: programchaos32
Pros: Fun, technical and wide open shots mixed.
Elevation changes.
Multiple practice baskets.
Multiple tee positions.
Friendly and helpful proshop.
Not expensive to play.
Very beautiful environs.
Very friendly locals.
Cons: Course is a little crammed together.
Can be very crowded. (Not really a con since my home course is Morley Field.)
Course layout a little confusing as a newcomer to the area.
Hole 5 and 6 (or maybe it was 4 and 5) were mislabeled and switched. (No biggie, I asked the locals.)
Other Thoughts: After a long day playing both the back and the front of La Mirada, I cruised over to Huntington Beach Central Park to play a round or two before heading home to San Diego. It took me a few minutes, and some outside help to find the first tee, but after I started playing I just followed a group ahead of me to figure out where to go. The locals were more than friendly to show me where to throw and also interested in my story and where I was from. The course got a little crowded as the afternoon wore on, but all the big groups were more than happy to let me play through. I even got to meet some well known disc golf players and chat for a while. All in all I thought this little course was pretty neat and I will definitely come back and play more rounds here on my opportunity.

World's Second Oldest Course Offers Wide Open Expanses!

1    6/20/2014   7/5/2014
Pros: Huntington Beach, the world's second oldest course does offer a variety of holes. A few of the early holes are more technical in nature.

The park is basically wide open and mostly flat. There are scattered trees that come into, often later on the hole, affecting your approach shots more than your drives.

This is a play to play course although the pro shop seemed to be closed the morning I played. The starts and finishes here at the parking lot, completing a large loop around the park. The tee pads are nice, grippy rubber mats while the signs are very functional,giving you all the needed information.
Two baskets are raised giving you a little variety. The front nine features the more technical and shorter holes while the back nine have more of the wide open type.
Supposedly, this course gets really crowded but it wasn't bad on the lovely Friday morning I played about 9:30. The course isn't difficult by today's standards. It plays as a Recreational/Intermediate rated course. I found the course quite forgiving. In areas where there is underbrush, it's pretty thin.
There were lots of holes to throw rollers,not that you particular needed to, just wide open enough to let em rip.

There were two tees for every hole and the difference between the two tees was often 75-200', enough to completely change up the hole.
# 13 was my favorite hole. It was a blind shot over a small hill through a narrow gap in the trees, 322' from the long, with the fence on the left being OB. Just areal pretty hole, with some challenge!
Cons: Since the crowds weren't a problem this morning, I guess some of the holes on the back nine were less than interesting, just long wide open throws with minimal trees.
I could see the sometimes overlapping fairways being a small problem on a really busy day.
A reviewer complained about the amount of RHBH favored holes here. That's really not surprising since most of the older courses have a majority of holes with a slight hyzer at the end.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing this old historic course. It literally spins a story from where the game of disc golf has evolved. Back in late 70's, few players were throwing 400' and a course like this was a nice challenge to most of them. My, how things have changed!

Rent a Bike at the Beach

1    3/10/2014   6/25/2014
Review By: andylibrande
Pros: Really solid intermediate/beginner course that has several really cool holes that force shots up hills through tree canopies, over open fields, and through tight trees. Poor drives are not easy to recover. For a course right next to the beach the elevation usage was surprising and added a lot to the fun factor. It is a well-manicured park that had almost no trash making it a really nice place to spend a morning.

Pro-shop on site with drinks, discs, and snacks. Once I read that that this is one of the oldest courses out there we knew we had to play a piece of history which was really cool.
Cons: Pin location on a few holes wasn't perfectly clear but usually cleared up by a short-walk up the fairway. Could see how on a busy day some of the holes are packed tightly together and could lead to problems, luckily we didn't experience any of that.
Other Thoughts: We are from Colorado and were staying at a Hotel on Huntington beach (no car), so we just rented cruisers and biked over to the park which was really easy to do. We played in perfect weather on a Monday morning so the course was relatively quite (still a bunch of people out enjoying it!). If you happen to be vacationing in the area I highly recommend bringing a couple discs and having a few hours of fun.

Good Course!!

2-4    2/25/2014   2/27/2014
Review By: tommyUnitas
Pros: Long holes, birdie holes, uphill, downhill, side hill, trees, OB, wind, dirt, grass, nice locals, a few tall baskets. Every thing you'd want in a course.
Cons: My only con is the mat tee boxes, as I prefer concrete.
Other Thoughts: Played here the other day for the first time in over 25 years. Can't really remember the layout back then, so I can't compare. All in all the course was fun to play, and I'll be back soon.

My home course

5+    12/3/2013   12/13/2013
Review By: CK_32
Pros: - My home course
- Where I learned to DG
- Pro shop and regulars are awesome
- Super friendly awesome players
-Elevation changes is an understatement
- Perfect Mix of open shots and wooded tree hazards
- Decently maintained
-Good mix of long and short holes
-Heavily Right Hand Favored
-Plenty of tourney play
Cons: - Right hand favored for lefties
- Spring grass and weeds suck, easy to lose discs on hole 1 around this time
- Kinda packed, popular course
- Walkers (jiggers and park goers sometimes walk through course)
-just started using high baskets hate high baskets
Other Thoughts: This is and always has been my home course, this is where I learned and always play DG, I love this course for so many reasons tons of good play, awesome holes, open but closed holes long and short drives, I think this is almost as good as they get.

If your in the area you have to play this course. People I've met from all over always say this is one of the most fun courses they have played and wish they came down more often.

Good Will Huntington

1    10/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/11/2013
Pros: I liked the interesting layout that guides you through a variety of terrain from dirt, to the woods, to open fields, and shaded grassy areas. Super laid-back DGC culture is very evident and the friendly locals were more than helpful to keep me on track. Dual tee pads for both Beginners and Bombers. A couple of elevated baskets make for some interesting putts and approach shots. The rubber tee pads are grippy, but shortish. The signage posts are kinda cool. This place is pure disc golf nostalgia!
Cons: The dirt areas are, well, pretty dirty. Even though the course has different elevation levels, each hole tended to be pretty flat, except for #1, #3, #4, #13 which all happened to be my favorites.
Other Thoughts: Being the 2nd oldest permanent DG course in the world, Huntington Beach is akin to St. Andrews Old Course in the ball-golf world, in terms of historical value. Since I am relatively new to the sport, playing HB gave me an appreciation of the origins and evolution of this game. Love the on-site pro-shop and maps (definitely needed the 1st time). It's $2 bucks to play, so make sure you have some cash on you.
====================
Uniqueness: A (how often do you get to play the 2nd oldest of anything?)
Difficulty: B- (not too long, relatively flat with only a little elevation, decent amount of trees)
Fun factor: B+ (leisurely and enjoyable round, would be really fun with buddies)
Aesthetics: B (it's definitely old, and so-so maintained, but the trees and grassy areas are nice)
-------------------
Overall: B+

Time Warp

1    6/2/2013   6/29/2013
Review By: Halcón
Pros: - Nice, grippy rubber tee pads.
- A good mix of routes needed to get to the baskets, which keeps things interesting.
- On-site proshop, which has scorecards and a map.
- Pay-to-play.
- 3 practice baskets right next to the parking lot, and one of them is elevated to add variety.
- Well maintained grounds.
- Friendly locals.
- Portable toilet on site (big plus in my book)
- Long / Short teepads for every hole.
Cons: - Missing tee sign(s).
- Overlapping fairways.
- Crowded.
Other Thoughts: I had the privilege of playing Huntington with my brother one fine Sunday morning. As we drove into the parking lot, a palpable sense of history was immediate. From the worn shipping container that is the proshop, to the weathered practice baskets, and the sign that proudly proclaims that this is the second disc golf course ever. It's that intangible quality that prompted me to give this course an extra .5 rating. (Plus this is where the current world champ, Paul McBeth grew up. Adds another notch to the cool factor.)

Huntington is from a bygone era of lids, freestyle, short shorts, and striped socks. Yet the course is still a blast to play. She throws everything at you, from downhill and up, hyzer and anny, and wide open to a small gap (hole 4).

Sure, it was crowded. Afterall, we played on a Sunday. Yes, there were many shouts of "Fore!" But, we were none the worse for wear.

The course is not difficult, even for a noodle arm like myself. If you can throw 300' on target, and putt fairly well, you should have a birdie fest from the shorts, and will probably shoot under par from the longs.

One small gripe: With money coming in from pay-to-play, I'd have thought there would at least be good tee signs at every tee. I believe it is hole 15, and 17 that's mising them. Maybe they got stolen, or I didn't see them. Either way, for the traffic that comes through this course, the signage should be top-notch.

Overall, this is a good course, but not great. The intangibles help it move into the "must play" category if you're in the area.

Tips: It's gonna get crowded on the weekends. My bro and I went early, at around 8 AM. By the time we were finishing our round, the parking lot was full, and there were players on every hole.

Also, keep your eyes peeled, and ears tuned to what's going on around you. There's plastic flying everywhere.

< Prev 1 2 3