Crawfordsville, IN
Milligan Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #14 (Taken 5/2012)

Good course.

1    7/22/2017   7/22/2017
Review By: cmckemie1@msn.com
Pros: Technical course that challenges your accuracy with challenging tree and creek obstacles. Be sure to bring your disc retriever for errant creek shots. Nice elevation changes. Easy to find the next hole.
Cons: Signage could be better. Shows hole number but no visual marking signs. Baskets are often bent or not level. T boxes not always level.
Other Thoughts: If the signage, baskets and t boxes were updated, I would give this course a 4. Still glade I played it and given the opportunity would play again.

Milligan Park update

5+    7/15/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: dolphie
Pros: Tee signs are being updated, sorry for any inconvenience. These just came down Saturday July 15th.
Cons: Treatment of the tee sign posts will occur before new signs can go back up. Please print a course map, to aid in hole navigation, if you don't know our course. Copy can be found on this site under "Link/Files" tab. ETA for project completion is August 15th, 2017. Thanks, Dave Dolph

Probably a nice course?!?

1    7/16/2017   7/16/2017
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: Looks like there are a lot of interesting holes and different hole lengths.
Cons: Every single tee sign was ripped off so I had no clue if I was throwing to the right hole until I got close enough to see the number on the basket pole.
Other Thoughts: I was on my way to the Am world's in Quad city and a friend recommended I stop by and play on the way. I tried to navigate the course based on the pictures on this website, but I gave up after playing about half the holes.

Fantastic course!

1    5/29/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: billtm
This review was updated on 7/2/2017
Pros: This course is well signed, and is very well suited for beginning players. All the holes are par-able, and the creek is shallow enough and translucent enough for most discs that land in the water to be retrieved. The holes are all very unique too, which makes this course fun!
Cons: There is one frustratingly hard hole where you have to shoot over three branches of a creek, I can't seem to find a line where I can consistently land to set up for a par.
Sometimes you are throwing off of a road instead of a teepad.
Other Thoughts: This is a great park course, as it makes very good use of the few large trees spread out around the entire area. The course takes you on a tour of what seems like the entire park, and walking around the first time to me felt like I was on an adventure.

Very Technical Yet Open Course

5+    10/13/2015   10/14/2015
Review By: DGDanG
Pros: 22 Holes, 1 tee per hole except last hole has dual tees.
Most of the course doesn't interfere with highly trafficked areas of the park.
Very good mix of long holes, technical short holes, blind shots, etc.
Hole 11 has a blind pin over a hill but has a long pole attached to the pin to make your target visible from the tee. Poles for disc fetching from the creek are placed at different locations for when the creek has water in it.
Overall, a well thought-out redesign that is leaps and bounds better than the old course that was there while I was in school.
Cons: Not many extremely long bomber holes. The longest hole is 383 feet, so it does have some decent lengths, but nothing that really demands a super long drive.
Other Thoughts: This course is fun to play and having 22 holes allows for a little extra time to make up bad shots that you may not recover from on an 18 hole course. Then again, it's not an extremely long course so intermediate to advanced players shouldn't have much trouble sinking most holes in two shots.

Great Small a Town a course

1    9/27/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Very solid intermediate level course. Will provide challenge for beginners and intermediate players. Holes may be on the shorter side for more advanced players.

Baskets - 22 Mach 2 baskets that catch great. They are marked with hole numbers on the pole. No spit out issues,. Also a practice basket at start of course that have pavers surrounding listing distance.

Tees - 1 large concrete tee per hole. Hole 21 has an alternate tee for those either looking for a longer or shorter hole.

Signs - Signs at each hole including hole map, distance, par, and points you towards next hole. When needed there are signs pointing you towards the next tee. Large bulletin board with course map and description of the sport.

Variety - Holes here favor both lefties and righties or either style of throwing. Trees on every hole but not to point where it's over weakling. Provide plenty of challenge. Lots of elevation change here. Some sort of minor elevation on each hole. Creek comes into play on several holes that could be issue when filled with water. Not many holes over 300.

Holes 11-16 stood out to me. Great group of holes in the middle of the course.

Plenty of shade but would still recommend bringing fluids.

Elevation - Several uphill and downhill shots. Some shots have rolling hills. A few blind shots due to elevation. Nothing too extreme. 20 feet elevation at the most.

Creek - Creek intertwines throughout course, sometimes coming into play multiple times per hole. If it is filled it can get in your head. There are poles available throughout the course to use to get discs out. Creek was dry when I played it.

Bridges when needed!

Trash cans at every hole attached to signs. Also multiple cans throughout courses. Benches throughout course including a pavilion with tables.

Very peaceful park with a few playgrounds, pool, skatepark, and baseball fields. Kept clean and well maintained.

Nearby stores if you need food or drinks.

Easy to get to, not too far from the highway. Easy to navigate. Flows great. Ends and starts at same spot.

Restrooms on site near start / end of course.
Cons: Not many cons from this course.

Holes are definitely on the shorter side. My girlfriend felt comfortable playing this course due to the shorter holes. Might be to short for advanced players.

Tees - this course could be greatly improved by adding a second set of tees at each hole. It would boost the variety and playability of the course.

Pin Placement - Alternate pin placement would also improve this course. Not sure if there are alternate pin placements since I've been here once but it always keeps things fresh to have rotating locations.

Walk from hole 20 to 21 was a little long.

Few holes come a little close to each other which could add danger if busy. Holes 2-6 and 11-14 come to mind where baskets, tees, and fairways come close.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and will definitely come back. I was definitely sold on the variety and the park itself.

If the course added dual tees that were more challenging, rotating pin placements, and more trees, I would consider giving it a higher rating. I would like to come back but don't often get to this part of the state. It was worth a try. I wasn't disappointed.

If you are in the area or traveling through I-74, I would definitely recommend this course.

5+    6/10/2014   8/11/2014
Review By: pandabaer6496
Pros: nice small town course in a park that is family friendly (for the most part, see cons), it definitely makes the most of the park area by squeezing in 22 holes (it used to be a 9 hole course). decent variety of shots required. although mostly open, there are a couple more woodsy holes (14,15) that help keep things interesting, as well as a creek that comes into play on several holes

Also, tee signs are great, there is a directional sign from 20 to 21, which is a ways away, and there are trash bins at every hole
Cons: More experienced players will quickly grow tired of this course. I play it a lot because its my home course, but mostly for the sake of droppin deuces. For less experienced players this may be a plus, but Murdock Park and Camp Cullom, both relatively close (40 min drive), will provide more of a challenge for experienced players.

- no holes over 330: although the park itself isnt that big, even just one bomb hole would be an improvement

- course plays around a park pool and skatepark, both of which can make for a slightly unpleasant environment at times.
Other Thoughts: overall Milligan is a pretty nice intermediate level course. dont go too far out of your way for this one, especially because Crawfordsville doesnt really have any other courses to offer. but if youre already in the area, Milligan is definitely worth a look

2-4    7/3/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: I played this course for the second time on a beautiful Thursday evening and here were my pros for the course:

1) Fun fun fun. This course was just flat out fun. It wasn't challenging at all and honestly just made for a short, easy round that was a walk in the park. I didn't have to take out my long distance drivers (except for one hole) and it was fun to just have some shorter holes to play.

2) The course wasn't full of blind shots - its not a lot of fun to have to walk ahead every hole to look at the basket and scope it out but this course was pretty straightforward and easy to play and didn't have a lot of blind shots.

3) While the course was a ton of fun, it wasn't full of "easy" holes. While there were certainly some easier holes, the course actually made you think on a few shots about the type of shot you wanted to throw.

4) The usage of the creek throughout the park was superb. It made some average holes above average. When we played the creek actually had some water in it. By my count the creek came into play on at least 4 holes. I love water hazards at disc golf courses and I love them even more when they add value to a hole.

5) The signs at the park were literally out of this world. The signs were some of the best signs I have ever seen at a disc golf course. Kudos to the local club for getting signs like that. They were full color with distances, OB lines, paths to the basket, tips, etc. WOW!
Cons: Honestly I didn't have a lot of cons at this course. I think my rating of 3.0/Good is very accurate for what the park offered:

1) This is essentially par 3 golf. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it should be pointed out that only 4 holes are over 300 feet. I enjoy this kind of disc golf but to be a top rated course I like seeing some variety in distances. This park simply didn't have the space for that and so the designers did well with what they had.

2) Some of the holes were very close to other holes. It wasn't terrible but I remember playing hole 1 and actually throwing to the wrong basket (basket 21) because it "looked" like that was the right basket. I would recommend just adding numbers to the top of the basket so players know they are throwing to the right basket. This was not a huge deal and I only remember it being an issue once or twice. Some fairways definitely got close to others but as long as you keep a good eye out you should be fine.

3) There were a lot of fun holes but nothing was spectacular and I wouldn't classify any of the holes as true signature holes. This is not a knock on the designer or the park at all. They did a great job with the land available.
Other Thoughts: When someone told me this course was redesigned from a 9 hole to a 22 hole course I was stunned. I thought there was no way they could have pulled this off because I remember the park being small enough as it was. But I was definitely wrong. Even though some of the holes were a little bit close together the course flowed fairly well and the new design was a lot of fun! This close is very close to I-74 so if you are traveling on that interstate its an easy play!

It's Alright

1    10/5/2013   10/6/2013
Review By: optimalben
Pros: They've clearly invested a lot in the course with good tees, maps, organization. The layout is pretty intuitive, and if the creek were full, water would be in play on half of the holes which would be interesting--at least unusual.
Cons: 1. Short holes. Maybe this reflects my own failings at using mid-range discs off the tee as much as a drawback of the course, but there are almost no opportunities to throw long drivers all out. The holes that are <200 feet (of which there are several) forbid using even moderately long drivers. It was great for my wife, though, because she doesn't drive that far and these were right in her "wheel house".
2. How they make up for the short-and-otherwise-not-challenging holes. Credit the designers for fitting 22 holes into a small park, but the compactness is an artificial source of difficulty. What I mean is that there are a lot of OBs such as driveways and adjacent properties that prevent you from aggressively attacking the baskets instead of natural obstacles such as woods/topography/distance. The other irritating device they used is arranging the tees so there is not a clear optimal path to the basket (at least not for a RH backhand thrower). You can go way wide right or try to get your disc to "back up" and throw left, but there are numerous holes that require you to take unusual paths to the pin. Maybe I just played on a day where I was feeling very patient or imaginative, but the effect of the layout was more "frustrating" than it was challenging.
Other Thoughts: I wonder how often the creek is full? It's not like I played the course in the middle of a drought, yet the creek was basically bone dry . . . just curious. Conclusion: I'm glad I made the trip from Lafayette once to play here, but I probably won't go down very often since I've got Murdock Park much closer.

This is fun one!

2-4    3/2/2013   3/4/2013
Review By: gregmarine
Pros: As an intermediate player, I really enjoy this course. The park is filled with mature trees that the course design takes full advantage of. A creek that flows throughout brings a challenge for many of the holes as it is out of bounds when water is present. The course design takes full advantage of the landscape. The tee signs are pretty good and each tee has a trash bucket.
Cons: Although most of the holes have some challenges, I would like to have more long drive opportunities. Many of the holes are pretty short. If you only have time for the first 9 holes, it is a long walk back to your car assuming you parked at the first hole. Some of the fairways come close to other holes' fairways.
Other Thoughts: Even if you have to drive a long way, this course is worth the trip. The TD for the various tournaments keeps things very organized. So I recommend participation in the tournaments held here.