Sacramento, CA
Santa Anita Park Share
Uploaded By: woodstock   (Taken 11/2010)
Course Sign

Share URL:

Now this is a great little pitch and putt!

5+    9/11/2017   9/20/2017
Review By: the_bird
Pros: -An extremely fun little pitch and putt course that was apparently designed by the Boy Scouts of America as a youth course. As a result, all of the holes are right around 100' feet with the exception of a couple of the holes that are closer to 150'.

-There is a small creek running through the course that you cross over twice. You are only forced to throw over the creek once (on hole #6 i believe). But, if you prefer it you can also play the third hole over the creek. I do it this way as it adds about 60 feet to the shot and makes the angle a little bit more challenging and fun. There is a steep little hill directly behind the basket that acts as a great backstop, along with a mature old tree in front of the basket, which make this a fantastic little ace-run. I think it is the best shot/hole on the course (when played from over the creek).

-While there are a lot of trees in the park, the trees don't overwhelm the players on any of the holes. There are a few holes for sure (especially #9) that force the player to take the trees into consideration and shape their shot accordingly.

-Being such a short course it is a great course to go and get aggressive on. For newer disc golfers Santa Anita will be your best place to take some serious ace runs.

-I have played Santa Anita at least 5 or 6 times now, always around 12-3pm (both midweek and on the weekend) and I have never seen another disc golfer out there. I have had the course all to myself every time I've been to Santa Anita. There have been walkers, joggers, and people having picnics, but never once another disc golfer.

-Because I have always had the course to myself I have been able to use the course more as a little practice facility than as an actual golf course. Instead of playing a legitimate round and keeping score I instead bring out all of my putters and approach discs (leaving everything else in the truck) and throw every disc on each hole, trying all the different throws and angles. Doing this has really helped my game and helped better familiarize me with the putters and approach discs in my bag.

-You can come out and play a quick 9 holes in all of about 20 minutes, making this a perfect lunch break course if you work in the area. When I go to Santa Anita I'll usually play 27 holes (3 loops), throwing 5 discs off of every tee, and still get out of there in a little over an hour.

-Being such a short course there is no need to carry your bag around here. I recommend that you just grab a handful of your discs (putters and approach discs) out of your bag, and then go out and enjoy your walk in the park.

-The park and course are in immaculate shape. The park is very well manicured with thick green grass and mature trees growing throughout.

-It pains me to say anything positive about our local government, but the city really does do a good job maintaining this park. Not only is it very well manicured, with a really nice walking path, but it has also been completely free of trash on all the visits I've made to the course/park.

-There are trash cans and benches throughout the park. The trees provide ample shade, so it's a nice place to sit and relax after a round of golf.

-One of the very best courses I have ever seen for young golfers and beginners that are older as well. If you have a youngster that wants to get out of the house, go buy him/her a couple of frisbees and bring him/her out to Santa Anita Park. They will be hooked!
Cons: -The tee boxes are rather simple. Instead of concrete tee pads Santa Anita uses a wood board set in the grass/dirt to mark the tee box. Behind the board the grass have given way to hard packed dirt. While this may seem like a big negative, it really isn't. Being that most golfers will be throwing just about every shot with their feet set and planted at Santa Anita, the more natural tee boxes work out really well. I was actually using the edges of the wood boards (they come up about 8 inches off the ground) to plant my front foot against.

-Most of the course plays right along the main park pedestrian path. Being that the course is scenic and in such great shape, it does attract some walkers. It by no means is overcrowded, but you will have people out on the pathways walking while you play. So, because the course plays right along the pathway you will have some waits while people are walking by.

-Like others have said: the park has a lot more room which could have been used to lengthen the course. At the very least it could have been used to make a few of the holes quite a bit longer. It's a long and very skinny park, so there isn't a ton of room, but there is definitely enough to have a couple 300-400' holes. You can still use the baskets and play your own course that you make up in your mind. I've done that a lot here, making a couple of the holes quite a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: -While the course is in Santa Anita Park you actually park your car in the lot directly across the street in Howe Park. Then you take the little cross walk across the two lane road to the first hole. The two parks are all of 15 feet away from each other. Because of this your car is parked super close to the tee on #1 and the basket on #9.

-Santa Anita is exactly what a super short pitch and putt course should be. Even though you are really only throwing little 50% up-shots for most of the holes, you are having a blast doing it.

-The location of the course is awesome. It is centrally located in Sacramento, which makes it super easy and convenient for people living in the city to get to. Its minutes away from Sac State, East Sacramento, Arden Fair Mall, Arden Arcade, Midtown, Downtown, and North Sacramento.

Great Course For Beginners

5+    8/31/2012   8/31/2012
Review By: Micronaut
Pros: Very pleasant atmosphere. Well landscaped. Trees provide shade. Each hole is different. A good balance of reasonable challenge, but not too much frustration. Basically, it's fun. It's a beginners course, and for that it is perfect.
Cons: Pedestrians walk along trail that winds through the park. Sometimes you have to wait for them to get out of the way. Once in a while inconsiderate people have picnics or birthday parties right on the fairway when they could easily do so in the park across the street. :-p Garbage cans aren't emptied all that frequently, and sometimes stink really bad. Hole 5's basket is mislabeled as 6. Hole 6's basket is missing its label. There are no actual tee pads, just dirt with toe boards. But you don't really need them, as you won't be x-stepping to throw these short distances.
Other Thoughts: This is the park where I started playing, and still the one where I play most often. Some of the other area parks, like John Mackey, are more challenging in terms of throwing distance, but few are as pleasant as this one. Mackey for instance, is kind of dried up and wide open. While this park is lush and green. And the holes are quite well designed to be interesting. It's a joy to play.

Fun!

5+    1/3/2012   1/20/2012
Review By: martianmusic
Pros: Great course for beginners. This is my "home course", the one that my friend and I learned on. It is well maintained, nice scenery, some challenging shots around trees and trying to avoid the creek.

I can take my 5 year old with me to play and he loves it. I also enjoy it even though I have been playing more advanced courses. It is good for work on mid and putting. I usually play the entire course with a mid and a putter.
Cons: Short holes don't allow for any work on distance driving. There is an overprotective squirrel that "barks" at you on the Hole 3 Tee..... haha
Other Thoughts: This IS a youth course. It says so on the sign by hole 1. There is also a big park with 3 different level playgrounds across the street, so if you have kids, make a day of it. :)

Perfect DG Pitch n Putt

2-4    9/28/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 7/8/2012
Pros: If you're looking for quick practice, or to introduce a youngster or female to DG, this is your ticket! Totally unintimidating, yet possesses so many qualities I like in a DG course, including a great layout. My 3 year old and wife will have a blast here. Update: introduced this course to my now 4 yr old son, and he had a great time...he even carried the water with a sidearm flick on number 6!
Cons: Short, but that's what it's meant for.
Other Thoughts: Such a cute & charming little course. It would be neat to watch a kiddie tourney here. I came within inches of acing #3 & #5!
=================
Uniqueness: A (never seen anything like it)
Difficulty: C+ (flat, super-short, decent amount of trees)
Fun Factor: A- (ace opps abound, great practice)
Aesthetics: A (very pretty, clean, serene)
--------------------------
Overall: A-

Kid and Beginner Friendly Course

5+    7/16/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: MudDisk
Pros: Easy access from city streets;
Quiet park setting;
Restrooms across the street with playground for the kids;
Lots of ace possibilities
Cons: Short course oriented towards youth-will not challenge the top dogs, but did I mention my kids love it?!
Other Thoughts: I love this course mainly because it is so kid friendly. All the holes are short...nothing more that about 180ft, but for me that opens up all kinds of possibilities for aces and to practice my approach game. For the kids, it means that they can reach the hole in a reasonable amount of throws. They also love #6 where they get to throw over the creek with minimal risk of a lost disc. Also great for introducing a beginner to the game. Well-maintained course that is very easy to follow. Created by a local Eagle Scout for his project. Lots of possibilities for alternate tees and "made up" holes. Watch for pedestrians on the path, but not usually an issue. We play this course multiple times whenever we are in Sacramento.

novice course

5+    4/11/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: Don DiscHulk
Pros: i designed this course for kids and brand new discgolfers. there is a kids youth league thru the park district there that is generating alot of interest.
Cons: well we know the cons. if you are an experienced player, this course is only useful with putters. the district has there own park police that strictly enforce all park rules. and the park police headquarters is right across the street.
Other Thoughts: this park is bringing new interest to our sport from youths and alot of new women players. If you are new to the sport, this is a great place to learn how to play. for what it is, its a great lil park, and i built a safari into it also