Roxboro, NC
Rockness Monster Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #14 (Taken 11/2013)
3 / 140ft.   3 / 317ft.   4 / 417ft.   4 / 350ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #14 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Monstrously Good

1    12/3/2018   12/4/2018
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 12/9/2018
Pros: Rockness Monster is a must-play track near Roxboro, NC, close to the Virginia line. It looks and feels like a classic NC mountains or foothills course...2+ hours east of the High Country! The elevation and natural beauty rival anything I've played. This is a legit destination course.

+ Aesthetically, it's hard to top the Rock. It's a beautiful, wooded (mature trees, not Carolina Scramble with underbrush), hilly (some steep), with boulders and a crystal clear stream winding through the back 9.

+ The tee signs here are the best I've seen. Each hole has a layout, yardage from each of the three sets of tees, a fairway picture from the perspective of each tee with an arrow pointing to the basket, elevation change from each tee, and a brief description and tip for the hole. Amazingly well done.

+ Overall, I would say the navigation -- at least for the white tees, which is what I played -- is a plus. There are Next Tee signs, arrows, painted trees directing you where to go. I did have a little navigation trouble and missed my opportunity to play the extra 9 holes. But on balance, navigation is good and the course designers and volunteers have done a terrific job.

+ I love courses with variety. Rockness has it. There's uphill, downhill, hyzer, flick, flex, very short (under 200 feet on a few white layout holes), and some longer par 3's. You'll need every (or most) shot in your game.

+ I also love fast greens and hazards around the basket. Rockness has this with baskets perched on or near boulders, hillsides, near the creek, or some combination of those factors.

+ The creativity here is amazing. I love the Dragon Mouth mando hole. Sure, it's a little gimmicky, but it's just one hole and it's a fun one at that. They do a great job with the "monster" theme throughout the course -- the tee markers, signs, "Dragon Drop Zone," etc. They used the rocks well, the stream, the topography. Top-notch design work.

+ Courses with good water holes get an added bump from me. I just think they're fun, picturesque, and the way golf is meant to be played. I wasn't expecting that at all from this track, but the back 9 uses a creek beautifully on several holes.

+ Elevation. Did I mention elevation? I think Rockness Monster lives up to its monster billing with elevation. I thought the course was challenging from the white tees, but not overly so. I've played many tougher courses. The challenge here is physical. It's a demanding hike.

+ Extra 9 holes (which I didn't get to play)

+ It's fun, it's challenging, and it's fair. Can't ask for much more than that.
Cons: These are some nit-picks and may be more user error than actual flaws. As such, Rockness Monster gets a near-perfect rating from me. Certainly in my top 5 to date.

- Gravel/sand/natural tees

- I wish the navigation was a little more explicit if you want to play the full 27 holes. Halfway through my round, after not noticing any signs to direct me to the extra holes, I looked at the DGCR course page and realized I'd missed the first handful of extra holes. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone back to find them and play them, but alas, I was already whipped from hiking up and down the hills and wussed out.
Other Thoughts: I don't know how to say it any better: even if you have to drive an hour or two out of your way to play Rockness Monster, it's worth it. Tremendous course.

My first PDGA win

1    4/21/2018   4/22/2018
Review By: hycard
Pros: Everything has already been stated in previous reviews regarding the care taken to make this course a destination for disc golf.
It's all spot on!
Layout, signage, tee areas, added hazards, use of topography, amenities, all top-notch.
Extra holes add distance and variety.
Multiple tee choices for every ability.
Cool mandos.
Cons: Have to really nitpick to find anything negative here, but be careful of footing; loose rocks and roots can be a tripping hazard.
With so much variation in tee and pin placement there could be some confusion, however the professional tee signage keeps this to a minimum.
Other Thoughts: Memorable course for sure!
The waterfalls and winding creek features are enough to make the trip to play here. Using the frequent rock formations in the course design is brilliantly done.
Looking forward to trying other area courses by same designers!

Worth a Drive--Great Woods Course

1    9/2/2017   9/28/2017
Review By: J-swish
Pros: Super wood course.
Interesting basket placements in boulders.
Great Tee pads.
Fair throwing lines for a wood course--challenging but throwable.
Good elevation changes.
Fun features like statues on tees and "jaws" in the woods.
Rough is clear and not scary--you can still lose some strokes on the trees, but easy to find your disc.
Cons: Very few...
One hole had a low window to a meadow--roller would be great option...if the grass were not 2' high.
No trash cans.
Other Thoughts: My favorite woods course so far. Not sure how to make it much better without free refreshments on every tee. My brothers and I played all 3 Person County "Monsters" in one day, and Rockness was definitely my favorite--but all 3 were fun.

Hidden gem in Roxboro

1    6/3/2017   6/8/2017
Review By: krumb
Pros: This course is a ton of fun to play. Its in excellent condition with lots of variation that keeps it interesting. The Dragon theme is pretty cool and they did a good job of incorporating this into several holes. The best course I've played in NC yet.
Cons: Roxboro

One of the best courses in Central NC

1    12/1/2018   5/5/2017
Review By: thumber_guy
This review was updated on 12/1/2018
Pros: First off, the course is just plain beautiful. The use of landscape and terrain is perfect. There isn't a really easy hole as all of them have at least one PITA obstacle to overcome, but they are still all "fair" holes that will reward good shots. The white tees feel like they are the natural flow of the course - the blues are some extra walking and they are for pros. It also drains very well. The signage is the best you'll ever see, and the variety of tee placements means that almost every skill level is accommodated. There is a lot of elevation change on this course so it is a great workout too. Every time I come here it seems like someone has just recently been by with a leaf blower to clear the fairways, so it is clearly very well maintained.

I agree that it plays best as a 21 hole course, as holes 20-22 (in between holes 7 and 8) are some of the best on the course and you get to see the waterfall.
Cons: I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about this challenging and fun course.
Other Thoughts: I wish it was closer.

Fair, Enjoyable Wooded Challenge

1    3/20/2017   3/23/2017
Review By: Orioles_Lefty
Pros: I took the advice of other reviewers and played from the white tees. Course flows well from these tees.

If you enjoy being able to see the expected line and enjoy the challenge of hitting this line, then this is a course for you. I am sure there are some "local" lines that would come out when playing multiple rounds, but a first-time visitor, like myself, should feel comfortable on nearly every tee box.

The course starts off with three decent holes, and then a clunker (at least the short pin), before moving into its best stretch. Hole 5 plays as two completely different options. If the course is not busy, I'd recommend playing both tee shots and then finishing the white pin (left) before finishing the blue pin (right). Hole 19 follows the blue pin, out of numerical order but easy to locate. Hole 6, an uphill hole like 5, follows and then an ace run, especially for a LHBH player like me.

Following 7, the very best stretch of holes -- 20 through 22 -- is an available option. Play these holes. 20 and 22 are plenty good, but 21 is the star. This is a par 5 with a fast green backed by a creek and waterfalls. Very beautiful, and you will be rewarded if you keep your first two shots in the fairway. I threw two Leopards in a row and had a long-ish look for eagle.

8 and 9 did very little for me. A big group of new players followed me from 7 to 8 (skipping the added holes), so I felt a little rushed on 8.

The back nine is a little more consistently up and down than the front 9. I played the back nine twice, as I had that big group behind me the first time around (I was playing multiple discs) and wanted to enjoy the holes with less noise in the air.

Favorite holes included 5 (both uphill options are great), 21, and 16, a touch downhill shot with a fast green that slopes down the hill.

As others have pointed out, the tee box signs are some of the best out there. The orange tees, which struck me as an option closer to Blue than to white, are not included on these signs.
Cons: Not so much cons, but just thoughts on some of the lesser holes.

The Mando to the short basket on 4 makes for a bad hole; it's like they were trying to solve one problem and then created another. The LHBH shot is comparable to how people throw frisbees on beach vacations. 4 to the long basket is a nice hole.

As a LH player, I couldn't really find a line on 10 -- tried BH and FH. And the fairway on 17 disappears, with a decent likelihood that you might be putting out of the creek (mostly dry when I played). I guess that's why the creek is not considered OB.
Other Thoughts: The course is easy to navigate, especially white-to-white. You need to play blue 5 to get to the first extra hole. 19. Like I said above, if the course is not busy, I'd recommend playing both options on 5.

I'm trying to imagine the course flow without the 20-22 added holes. 6 is a short uphill shot (from white). 7 is an ace run. I rushed through 8, so I don't have a good memory of it, but it was short as well. 9 is a shot into a field, meant to get you back to the parking lot. 10, as I mentioned above, doesn't seem to have a line. So, it seems my conclusion here is that 20-22 aren't just great holes but they also very much improve hole variation and the player's experience. More a 3.5star course without those holes.

It's obvious, given hole and sign design and course upkeep, that this course is a labor of love for a particular person or persons. Great to see a well kept course on a CC campus.

The attention given to hole design and shot shaping really came through more once I began to play Edmunds in Southern VA later the same day.

Pinball in the woods

1    3/30/2016   3/31/2016
Review By: Bombarde16
Pros: There's clearly a lot of work that went into this course. Every hole shows a tremendous amount of thought on the part of the designer. It's a challenging course that demands you throw your best. If you enjoy finding lines and can throw a disc on exactly the line you want, this course will put a big smile on your face. I could play hole 11 again and again. It's that good.
Cons: It got tiresome slogging up and down through the woods. IIRC, only two of the holes cross an open field. Every other shot you throw is hemmed in by trees on all sides. If you can't hit a straight line, brace yourself for one demoralizing *thwack* after another as your disc ricochets off to God knows where.
Other Thoughts: It's a lovely trip and I'm glad I made the trip. That said, it's a far drive and not a course I see myself going back to again and again.

Beware of the Blue Tees

1    8/1/2015   8/7/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Rockness Monster has serious elevation change, wooded fairways, some water, multiple tees, multiple baskets on a few holes, a few bonus holes and decent signs at the white tees. All of these are frequently the features of my favorite disc golf courses. When I tried my luck from the blue tees, it was not good. While they did offer a much more challenging and different look than the whites, I often threw the drive with despair in my heart, knowing that my disc didn't stand a chance. Forget birdies, just getting par seemed like a victory. I know advanced tees are supposed to be tough, but this was ludicrous. Other reviews make it out to be a thing of desire, but I really wish I had played the white tees instead. I had to stop at them to note the distances on my scorecard, and they appeared to still be tough but fair. The short red tees were doing everything they could to remove a lot of the teeth, but calling this monster beginner friendly may be a stretch. I am putting this under pros because it is a really good course, but first time through you may want to make it easy on yourself. Frustrated the hell out of me. As far as equipment goes, baskets were in nice condition, and the signs at the white tees were pretty good. The folks that installed this one really got into the Rockness theme. Dragon like statues are often guarding the tees, and there is a Lockness statue on one hole. Also, be sure to read the tale of Rockness, and watch out for the dragon's mouth.
Cons: The tee pads themselves were usually natural, sometimes not level, and a few were smaller than I would like. I felt many of the blue tee positions didn't really offer a fair shot. The holes that had two baskets were not evident, especially from the blues. Layout was not hard to follow, but holes 19-22 are not in sequence, and only had white tees. Very much worth playing, they were some of my favorite holes. Such awesome land for disc golf, I was slightly disappointed with the experience of my first round.
Other Thoughts: I played two other courses that morning prior to the Rockness monster, on a fairly hot summer day. If I had known what I was in for I would have had a much more hearty breakfast, and played the white tees for sure. Walked out of there just glad I made it out. There are so many good holes, wish I could have played them better. If there is a next time, I will be better prepared to slay that monster.

Rockness Heaven

1    4/24/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: pmay5
Pros: This course is very well taken care of, multiple concrete tees on each hole, great signs at the tees, next tee signs, baskets are in great shape also. The tee signs are probably the best I've seen, layout of the hole, next tee direction, distance and elevation change for each tee, pictures of the hole AND a well written description of each hole. Very well done.
The course flows very well, nice use of the elevation on the site, front side makes use of the rocks, back side makes use of a creek. The baskets for 3 and 5 were set into piles of boulders, great use of those. Baskets for 11, 13, 14 and 17 were very close to the creek winding through the back side. Really gives both nines their own personalities.
The one open space on the property is used for both 2 and 9, they got the most use out of that they could.
While this is a heavily wooded property, the fairways are cleared to not make it a throw and pray, pinball type course. 8 has the tightest fairway, but it is straight and designed that way.
Cons: Very tough to find any cons at Rockness. The transition from 14 to 15 was a little tough, but didn't cause any delay. Course is on the back of Piedmont Comm College and it didn't appear there were any restrooms or drinks available.
Other Thoughts: Got a chance to meet course designer David Wehrenberg before I started. He was very helpful showing me the first tee and providing any tips possible. Really is cool the way he used the natural features on the site, plus he added some sea monster rock sculptures, and plays over a stone foundation. Couple of nice, fast greens with rollaway potential (yes, 16 cost me a stroke!).
With the fair fairways, great tees, unique pin locations and use of elevation and the creek, this is truly Rockness Heaven.

5+    4/10/2015   4/13/2015
Review By: hoppedup
This review was updated on 8/11/2017
Pros: Signage is important to me. Rockness Monster has possibly the best signage I have ever seen. The tees are clearly marked and each basket has a hanging tag pointing to the next tee. You can not get lost here.

The course itself is on a beautiful, wooded piece of property. There are only two holes that are open. The tee baskets in the rock formations on 3,4 and 5 make for a neat putting experience. With four tee pads on most holes, there really is something here for everyone. We played the whites and the flow was really nice. There are holes for every shot in your repertoire here. While the course is mostly wooded, the fairways are tough but fair.

The drainage here must be pretty good. I played a couple of days after some heavy rain and the course was not muddy at all.

The elevation change gives you a good workout here. A few of the downhill throws let you air it out and the uphills are a good challenge.

I have been to this course twice and didn't see another person either time. If a course of this quality were near a population center it would be crowded all the time. This is probably my favorite of the courses I've played.

The nearby Sasquatch and Kraken courses can be added for a nice day of disc golf
Cons: For me, the only ding is that it is so far from where I live.

< Prev 1 2 3