Northville, MI

Muddy and Hilly

5+    7/11/2017   7/13/2017
Review By: tbonesocrul
Pros: - Practice Basket
- concrete tee pads with some holes having long tees
- Located in a nice park with trails and playgrounds
- Elevation and trees are used well, the hole shape and lengths are well varied
- Baskets are spray painted red to help them stand out in the shadows
- Recent efforts have been made to keep the teepads drier by adding mulch around them.
- a lot of benches and trashcans throughout the course
- I haven't had any problems with the bug or brush here, not a lot of small plants or groud cover
Cons: - being one of the free courses in the area you definitely get bigger crowds and more noisy casual players
- lots of graffiti, several holes are missing tee signs or the signs are covered in graffiti so they might as well be missing
- I found the layout to be confusing the first few times I was playing here, there are some arrows that point you in the right direction but I still got lost the first 3 times I played here.
- it is usually pretty muddy in spots, not much you can do about that
- paths often go up and down steep hills which can be slick when wet. Be careful!
- parking lot is bumpy and usually has lots of puddles.
Other Thoughts: I like coming to this course because I often will go for a run on the paved trail, or across the street in the dirt path. The first hole can be hard to find but is on the north end of the wooded hills east of the practice basket. The wooded fairways have lost a few trees over the years (so I've been told) making them a little sparser than several of the other local wooded courses. Hole 15 is slowly sinking and will probably be buried if no one helps it in the next decade.

This course provides a good challenge to amateur level players but I suspect a open level player could get bored here. All of the long holes are fairly open and the wooded holes all have generous lines. I enjoy playing this course because of some of the really fun holes but am put of by the aesthetic. This is kinda like that SO you know your parents won't approve of but you still date because you love disc golf.

Great Design - Gonna Be Muddy

1    4/1/2017   4/4/2017
Review By: MisterJ
Pros: Aesthetic - Very nice, park setting, rivers, wooded, rolling hills. Not a big fan of the vandalism on the signs, but this is an open free park.

Challenge - Yes, this definitely has challenge. I consider myself more rookie and had a pretty good first round, so maybe not too challenging, but awesome long runs, water wasn't really water hazards like a lake or pond to lose a disc in. I liked that the course was planned, and if you found your line, you can play it, unlike some courses with random trees everywhere, that is challenge.

TeePads/Baskets- Teepads concrete, 2 per most holes, baskets were great, kinda funny on the low lying areas where you can tell they probably stood taller but now the flooding of the area made them only about 6 inches off the ground, but they are fine.

Signage - Reasonable amount of signs for a complex course to navigate for first timers like me. If you use just the signs and print no maps you will probably get a bit lost, but will eventually find your hole, but you'll wander a bit that's for sure. Graffiti on some of the nicer signs spoils the mood of this woody area. Ssome signs have name of hole, #, distance, picture of hole, everything, sometimes there are markers at basket telling where to go next.

Variety - In Michigan, there isn't much more you can ask for, except for less mud (or more water holes if you're into that sorta thing). Mombo long run with few trees to get that long throw, tight technical shots, uphill long, downhill short, forehand, backhand, S shots. It's a good course. Somebody really thought about this course, the stood at each of the pads, and said tree here and here, not here, let them have a clear line here and there. I like the less randomness. Well planned.

Fun - Depends on who you are. Don't bring your non-die-hard spouse to this one. Not because of the challenge, because of the challenge and the wet/slippery/mud. But shoot even when she headed back to the car, I still had a blast and kept going, it was great... but it wasn't as good as if she stayed and played, always better to share.

Locatability - Finding the park, parking, no problem. There are lots of maps,

Maintained/Bugs - I went at end of March early April. Grass had just turned back to green (from dried out winter), not a bug in the air. Not sure if the bugs get bad later in the year though. I've read about downed trees in other reviews, but comparatively speaking to other wooded courses, and yes there are a lot down here, but for the most part, they weren't in the way at all. At this point in year, I thought maintenance was great, almost no leaves, short grass, so none of that super nasty thick grass off the fairway like some courses. Only thing, it gets wet.
Cons: Congestion - In this area of Wayne County, there isn't a lot of good courses, so Cass Benton being really good shines super bright. It would be congested because of how well-designed it is no matter what, but being since this is about the only place without driving really far, it is congested
Other Thoughts: Whats holding it back from higher rating - I don't think this course can get a better rating, its locked in Michigan, in Hines, so flooding/mudding.

Kid Friendly - I think kids may have fun for a while, mine were fine. But, this is a long course, and they may not make it for the long haul because this is a long course. I'd say this isn't the best course for kids, but this is Hines Park, and assuming you don't mind leaving the course when they get tired/bored, there are other things to do here.

Older/Less Active Player Friendly - No way, I'm active, not the best shape, and with the hills here, I missed a putt because I was out of breath going up a hill after my drive.

Rookie/Average Friendly - Yes, lots of challenge and things to work on here, definitely something to look to. Tons of fun for you and your buds.

Pro Player Friendly - For sure, here is a place you can test your skills. One of very few courses in SE Michigan you can get a change to drive nearing 800 feet out in the open. Plus with some tight technical shots, should be very enjoyable as long as you bring your old pair of shoes.

1    3/12/2016   3/12/2016
Review By: torihanus
Pros: 1.) Course is located in Hines Park in Northville. This park is not only home to a disc golf course, but there are also running/walking trails, mountain biking, lakes, playgrounds for children, etc. This course can bring a wide variety of people. I personally like this, because I can do more than one activity while being at one destination.

2.) Terrain and elevation varies throughout this course. Several holes are located in wooded areas. I would say all of the holes have trees on the fairways. A challenging course, but you're also not frustrated at the end of your round.

3.) In addition, you are not going to be pitching and putting on this course. I used every disc, besides one, in my bag. This course forces you to make some critical decisions, and I enjoy that about a course.

4.) Players have the option of throwing at the pro or rec tees.

5.) Tee pads are concrete.

6.) Baskets are cemented in, and they are also double-chained. Chains grip nicely to your disc.

7.) Trash bins at almost every hole. Picnic tables are also available at several holes.

8.) Course is also free to play, which is rare when you're playing in a county/metro park!
Cons: 1.) Navigation is a slight downfall. If you don't have someone that is familiar with the course, chances are you will get lost. There are some moderate hikes between holes (not a con in my book, but it is when you don't know where you are going). Make sure you have a map with you. I recommend "next tee" signs to help guide people throughout the course, since there really isn't a nice "flow."

2.) Signage. When I did see a sign, it had the basics: hole number, par number, feet, a map of where the tee and basket is (which is exactly what I want to see when I see a sign) However, many of the holes did not have a sign.

3.) Personally, I would like the baskets to stick out more, especially when several holes are in a heavily wooded area. Even though I had my boyfriend to help me find the baskets, there were many times I couldn't see it.

4.) Park gets crowded VERY QUICKLY! My boyfriend and I got to the park at 9:30 this morning. There were already a few groups out when we got there. By the time we left at 11, there were more than dozen groups playing. If you don't want to wait, the best time to come and play is early in the morning.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed playing this course, and it makes it better that it is only a 15-20 minute drive from my house! One of the better courses I have played in this area.

I also noticed that a couple baskets were designed to be very low to the ground (especially hole 15, the huge bomber down the hill). Does anyone know why designers put these baskets that low? I don't mind; I'm more curious if anything.

Always fun @ Cass!

5+    2/3/2016   2/9/2016
Review By: mball1684
Pros: - Good array of types of holes
- Free
- ample parking
- nice park setting
- challenging but not too easy
- beautiful scenic layout
Cons: - can get muddy & boggy, but what course doesn't?
- signs are graffitied up or missing
- a few of the tee pads are cracked
- lots of fallen trees, this has changed the course alot through the years
- a few baskets are getting in disrepair.
Other Thoughts: Name a shot you need in disc golf and this course will challenge you with it. Weather it be from the shorts OR the longs Cass will honor the tried and true "risk-vs-reward" mantra of DG. Beautiful side hill lies and top of the world tees will be sure to heighten the enjoyment of the course. With a nice variety of holes wooded verses open you get the full Michigan DG experience for free and located in a nice park.

Recommended

1    7/31/2015   8/9/2015
Review By: qball027
Pros: Good variety of holes and provides a good challenge.
Some very fun hole such as #3 and #16.
Cons: Graffiti and missing signs.
Other Thoughts: Still a very good course despite the graffiti and missing signs. I would highly recommend this course.

CassReview

1    7/30/2015   7/30/2015
Review By: reichmusic
Pros: -great variety of distances
-great variety of shot shapes
-forces you to bh,fh, thumbers etc
--good paths
-cleared woods for errant throws
-concrete pads
-nice shade for hot summer days
-makes good use of ample elevation
- two sets of tee
Cons: -due to pathetic local jerks, there are some missing signs, graffiti, some trash.
-I went early in the morning and had the place to myself, saw a lot of people exercising, running , biking, etc- hopefully the park usage with positive people, will keep the bad apples out.
-unmarked tee pads, which is long/short?
- very confusing around hole 14-16, I think we shot at the wrong basket, and then got off somehow, but our safari golf ended up ok
Other Thoughts: This could be a five star course with some tender love and care.
I understand there may be a problem with low life vandals, so it's not worth making new signs, but you may try do other methods of marking. Mark each basket with colored tape yellow/white to give the direction of the next tee pad.
Mark each tee pad with a little colored paint to tell you what pad you are on with the corresponding hole number. (You may even add a yardage, par, and a basket shot shape to where the target basket will be.). Vandals can only paint over it, which you can repaint. 99 cents per can. These two additions would help tremendously.

The udisc app helped with the mapping.

Huge potential course, wish it was my home course, I'd spend everyday making improvements.

good course, could be great

5+    6/5/2013   6/5/2015
Review By: zetterbeard
This review was updated on 6/9/2015
Pros: -Great variety of holes, ranging from long and open, long and wooded, short and wooded, short and open, and everything in between. If you play this course from the long tees, which I always did and I HIGHLY suggest you do too, this course offers some incredible variety that will require you to throw long and accurately.

-Great difficulty from the long tees. Unless you have a cannon surgically attached to your arm, good luck getting a birdie let alone par on 2 and 16. Lots of holes have steep dropoffs next to the basket, so plan your putts and approaches carefully!

-Some of my favorite holes are on this course. Granted, I've played it more than any other course, but some holes, such as 3 and 5, are awesome. Throwing off the top of the hill on 3 is really fun. Watch out for the wind!

-If you're wanting to get a quick round in, you can easily play 1-12 and walk back to your car. 13-18 are pretty good, but 1-12 will give you a good variety of holes. Especially if you're playing the long tees, holes 1-12 are about 4,000 ft, which is longer than some entire courses.

-Both long and short tees have nice, long concrete pads.
Cons: -The biggest con for this course is sadly the other people that seem to congregate here. Watch out for "cassholes." For some reason, this course attracts a certain kind of person who has no problem trashing the course, spray painting hole signs, breaking trees, or straight up removing signs from the hole.

-Which leads me into another con, if you haven't played this before, I can see it being difficult to navigate. Do yourself a favor and print off or save the map image to your phone so you can navigate it easier.

-I guess this goes for all wooded courses, but if you get off the fairway, you may have a hard time either finding your disc or having a decent line. This is especially true for 13-15 or so, some of the holes are heavily wooded and you can easily lose a disc in plain sight. I've seen it happen sadly.

-This course can get very, VERY busy. Plan your play time accordingly. Come (if you can) when people are working or in the morning, like 8-11 am.
Other Thoughts: -I say that this course could be great because of how it's maintained and the people that come there. If it charged even like $1-2, that would scare away a lot of the people who loiter at the course and trash and/or damage it.

-For several years, this course was my "home course." I've probably played it 40-50 times. I haven't played it in awhile, but I always make a point to when I'm back in town.

-If you got the arm or are an intermediate+ disc golfer, PLAY THE LONG TEES!!! Seriously. It's so much better and awesome.

-If you park in the parking lot off of Hines Drive, hole 1 starts near the end (east side) of the parking lot. Follow the walking path and look for a dirt path that will enter the woods which should put you at the long tee for hole 1.

-First timers might want to print off the map or put it on your phone. Several holes have no signage or may be difficult figuring out where to go.

-Is this course worth driving 1-2 hours for? Eh, that's debatable. But if you find yourself within 30 miles of it, I'd recommend checking it out.

First time cass

1    1/1/2015   1/2/2015
Review By: Zinc_Alloy
Pros: Proper length concrete pads. Respectable looking baskets. 18 holes. Picking, throwing and holding lines is at a premium as is the ability to throw any shot from pad to pad. Nice elevation changes and some tough side hill lies from the fairways. Hitting the fairways and at the best angle is key on the longer holes.
Cons: Very narrow windows to hit from off the tee. Holes are difficult to locate and signs are missing. A lot of short holes(200 and under).
Other Thoughts: I want to like this course but cant get over the gimmicky feel to it. Most of the holes are rocs or buzzzs and then hope to not hit a wall of trees directly in your path to the basket. I did find the longer holes(open field throws, basically) to be somewhat challenging especially when faced with a severe sidehill lie with an approach around 300ish. A lack of medium range holes is its biggest drawback. I would not drive a long distance to play this course, id go to kenningston instead.

The Good, the Bad and the Weird

1    6/7/2014   6/7/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Starts out the a challenging shot through the woods and then opens up into some very cool open holes on 2 and the signature hole #3.

Three is a very fun 600 or so ft drive down a large hill and then you end up Ina basket by a very pretty creek.

It varies between short heavily wooded holes and longer more open ones with some challenging lines and elevation changes.

There is potential here for a 4 or better rated course.
Cons: Unfortunately there are some significant things holding it back. Most of the signs are vandalized or stolen.

You can't find the first teepad without a guide, and when I got there there was a shady guy selling discs with other peoples ink on them, and a few guys sitting around smoking.

There are fallen trees everywhere and the fairways are generally poorly maintained.

A lot of people in a few places just hanging around, a lot of them doing things that shouldn't be done on a course, in public, or at all really.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course, I didn't like how crowded it was with non players and the massive amount of vandalism that goes on.

This should be a top rated course but the aesthetic hold it back.

Great Bones

5+    4/10/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: CassBenton
Pros: Great elevation and diversity. Tight trees and wide open fields. Some really long holes and plenty of ace looks. Benches at almost every hole. I got my first ace here!
Cons: It's free. Sounds like a positive except for all the casuals and almost complete lack of upkeep this causes. Lots of downed trees especially on holes 9 and 10. Most of the signs have been stolen, if they're still there they are covered in crappy graffiti (tags not art). A lot of holes get torn up and muddy early in the season, and never have a chance to recover. Very busy in the warmer months.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, started playing it almost a decade ago. It's gotten progressively worse as the years go by. Its got some of the best geography/topography of any course in SE Michigan, and some truly classic holes. Really wish it was pay-to-play. Still a great course and I play it all the time.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7