Dexter, MI
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original Share
Uploaded By: OneBallWonder Hole #D
Hole #D Short Tee(Some fall colors on the Original Course)

< Prev 1 2 3
Well Executed!

1    6/19/2017   6/23/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Intro: Here I am, a high school student, visiting the prestigious University of Michigan, with the overall goal of playing some disc golf in the area. Doing research, I knew that Hudson Mills had the right courses for me.

Pros:
This park is possibly the most well manicured course I have ever played. All of the grass was mowed to almost ball golf fairway length, the rough was not super thick, and the trails were well marked.

Navigation was a breeze. There was never a long walk from basket to next tee, and if there was any confusion, there was probably a sign pointing to the next tee. The letter holes were clearly marked with a path and a sign pointing towards it.

The new Innova DiscCatcher baskets were amazing. If the picture of bright, yellow bands and shiny, silver chains does not make you smile, you are probably a psychopath. Seriously.

The teesigns wee both helpful and informative, with helpful information that would prove important, especially for a first time player.

The concrete teepads were of good length and in good shape. Two different pads per hole is very important for me, and they were very nice.

The course itself was mostly well designed. The open holes had a nice use obstacles, so you did have the chance to throw different discs off the tee.
Cons: My first con is something that always depends on the person. That is the 10 dollar fee per car, plus 3 per golfer. I personally found the 10 dollar vehicle fee ridiculous, as I was only able to be in the park for about one and a half hours, so I didn't like spending that much money to do one thing. This did not affect my rating.

My second con is the very punishing rough. Man, was it rough. The off fairway grasses were knee high, and I found myself looking for discs that just missed the fairway by less than a couple yards. I did not lose any discs, but that was because of my ridiculously good accuracy. (kidding) The real reason is because we would send spotters down the fairway in order to be sure where the disc would land. This is key.

There was never really a wow factor. There was a lot of land at the park, with some rolling hills and more. However, this course is all par threes. No 800 foot bombs, or 600 foot tree weaving fairways. I felt that this course could have been a bomber's dream, but also a technical nightmare, and could be a 5 star, disc, course. There were no hills either, so there weren't any downhill cliff shots, or uphill skill placements.

There was some repetition present, with some of the open holes blending together, with similar shots off the tee. This probably could not have been avoided due to the setting of the park, but is a con nonetheless.

Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed the course here at Hudson Mills. The amount of care and thought that went into the design and upkeep of the park and the disc golf itself is excellent to see. Kudos to the club, the local players, the maintenance crew, and others who keep this course looking great.

I teetered between a 3.5 and a 4 disc review. The course does have it's flaws for sure, but the overall complex, and the heart and soul that I see in the course is enough to bump my rating up.

I unfortunately did not get to play the so-called monster course while in town on a short visit, but I will be sure to visit here again!

Really good course

2-4    9/11/2016   3/3/2017
Review By: jmherman
Pros: The course is in its own section of the park. It is well maintained. I really liked the course layout, easy to find the next hole. This was a fun course to play and can handle a pretty big tournament.
Cons: Baskets are nearing the end of their lifespan. The parking fee along with the disc golf fee makes this an expensive course to play if you are not a regular or visit with a group.
Other Thoughts: I have no problem with pay to play courses, in fact I usually like them, especially the ones that are exclusive courses, even the ones co-located with ball courses. But, I do want to get my money's worth out of playing.

One of my favorites

5+    7/16/2016   7/16/2016
Review By: the1discChallenge
Pros: -24 dual-tee-pad holes
-nice mix of half wooded and half open (the front with alternates being fairly open, the back being quite wooded and technical)
-you get to let your discs fly. A lot of courses now are so technical and short that you're having to bend your long distance drivers on a crazy line to go 200'. Here, they'll be tight holes, but it'll be a logical line (if that makes sense!)
-mowed fairways with tall grass adds a layer of technicality on open holes
-good mix of long and short holes
-usually not crazy crowded, and the park is fairly clean
-the flow of the course is excellent, in my opinion. The next tee pad is always in a very logical place and not very hard to find. No overlap with other holes on the course, either.
Cons: -not much elevation. The little bit that's out there is used well, in my opinion, but most of the course is pretty flat
-the baskets need work. They're old and prone to pole spit outs.
-$7 to get in the park and $3 to play, a little more pricey than other pay to plays in the area
Other Thoughts: -I consider this my home course and I really enjoy every round I play out here. I love that there's a nice mix of wooded and open holes, with some room to let it rip on a couple holes. In addition to the Monster course literally being on the other side of the parking lot, the Metropark offers a ton of hiking and biking trails, basketball courts, volleyball courts, and other fun activities to do!

Certainly worth the $$$

1    9/6/2015   9/6/2015
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Baskets are older but in great shape.
- Great use of existing terrain and land features.
- Wooded but fairways are not terribly narrow.
- Long and short tee pads.
- Concrete tees. Varying sizes but I couldn't possible care less about that. Just so long as they aren't too small and none of them were.
- More than one course on site so more bang for your buck. Even if this were the only course on site it would still be worth the money.
- Very well marked with nicely painted 4x4's in the ground.
- Nice mix of left to right and so on throughout the course.
- Good flow. No silly 1/4 mile treks from one hole to the next.
- I really like the option midway through the course to either play 24 or 18 holes. This really speaks to the well thought out layout here.
Cons: - As good as this course is I'm surprised that the navigation isn't better marked. A few spots were a little mystifing as to where to go. Getting a scorecard with the map is key on this course. This would be a 4.5 course for me had it not been for that.
- The picnic tables are well spread out through the course but good grief many of them need to be repaired or replaced. The wood is getting rotten and I was reluctant to sit on many of them.
- While this is a collection of above average holes none of them really stuck out to me as great or phenominal. I feel a little weird saying that but it's just the way it is.
- Praire grass off the fairways...Oh lawdy I hate this stuff. Either don't throw into it or play in groups with spotters.
- Water hazards. There were a few but even as a Am3 player like myself I didn't feel particularly challenged by them. I kind of wish they were better put into play.
Other Thoughts: My criticisms are picky to be sure so don't get me wrong. This is a fantastic course and worth going out of your way to play here. The pay to play is a little steep but in my opinion it is well worth it. It sort of reminds me a little of Oshtemo Township park but it certainly isn't nearly as challenging and that is what is really holding me back from rating this as a 4.5 or even 5.0. It's great but not spetacular.

As always there are your typical assortment of bugs, poison ivy, and other irratants that are always present on a Michigan course. Bug spray is an essential. And as a special note to the critters be wary that the Michigan rattler has been spotted in the area. They are native to Michigan and are definitely poisonous so use caution when searching through the underbrush.

Classic, with a case of deep brush.

5+    6/19/2014   7/12/2014
Review By: PuttPuttPutt
Pros: The variety of shots you can take - The A-F holes provide great open practice - The courses are part of a beautiful multi-purpose Metropark - Is a blessing to play during less-populated times.
Cons: The seriously thick brush during peak season can scare off novice players and those fearful of losing discs - A few of the baskets are in need of maintenance - It's buggier than the Monster course - Can become crowded.

great, but not blown away

1    8/4/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
aesthetic-- course plays through a portion of a large metro park. shares land with hiking/walking/biking trails.

Teesigns--nice to have teesigns at both teepads with seemingly accurate distances. the "pictures" of the hole are somewhat accurate, they show an approximate configuration of the hole.

teepads--both good and bad here, the teepads are of varying lengths. some are really really long (and a bit off-putting), some are appropriate length, and some are short. not sure why one size wasn't used as the lengths on this course do not vary by much throughout.

Mach III baskets-- in good repair, reflective tape might help to increase visibility. most of the time we were just looking for the number placcard on top.

Flow/navigation--relatively easy, nice worn paths seemed to guide us where we needed to go, in the few spots where confusion may have been an issue, the next tee was visible.

Options-- the option to play 18 v 24 is nice and the signage here is very clear.

risk v reward-- most of the risk v reward here is in the form of the rough, there is a small scummy pond on a couple of the holes but for the most part it's a non-issue. the grass is thick off of the fairways and the scrub trees are pretty thick in some places but it's relatively easy to find your disc.

maintenance/upkeep--the mowers cut an insane amount of grass both on and off the courses here and the grass in the fairways was immaculate throughout. not much trash throughout, benches and garbage cans throughout the course.
Cons:
length-- I really really though with the ratings this course had that there would be more 400-500ft holes where a fairway driver might have come in handy in the fairway. Rather, we spent most of our round teeing off with either mid-ranges or fairway drivers.

repetition-- it seemed that the field holes were repetitious. it seemed like they were mostly straight out with some light trees strewn about.

Lack of elevation--there is very very little elevation change here, I understand that this isn't always controllable but it seemed like there were places that elevation could have been used better.
Honestly, I was slightly disappointed. I thought with the ratings this course had I would be more impressed, I just wasn't blown away. don't get me wrong, it's a great complex, just not phenomenal or best of the best.
I found myself comparing different parts of the course to different courses that I had played before. the later parts of the course reminded me a lot of Oshtemo in Kalamazoo, the water holes reminded me of Knollwood in Kalamazoo. there were parts that reminded me of Blue Gill and parts that reminded me of other courses that I had played in the past.

An old-school gem that has stood the test of time

5+    5/6/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Hudson Mills Metropark is an absolute must-visit disc golf destination park. The Original course is one of two very good courses that are beautifully maintained, have tee sets of cement tee pads, good signage, and fully intuitive navigation.

The Original course provides a fun experience with sufficient challenge to keep all skill levels coming back. There are several very good holes and the stretch from hole 6 to 18 is among the best around.

The total experience is very enjoyable and the wooded holes, in particular, are very scenic.

Some of the stand-out holes are:
1) A great initial hole, which is one of the most challenging. This hole requires an accurate, powerful drive to get within 70 ft. of the basket for a birdie chance. Anything thrown off the fairway from the tee can easily result in a 4 or 5.

3) An uphill to downhill sweeping mid-range turnover shot with a run-away green. This is my favorite hole on the course.

12-13) Back-to-back short, tight holes where taking a 4 or 5 for the pair is expected, but it's possible to 8 or 9.

18) This long par 3, could be considered a par 3.5, but is deuce-able with a well executed cut roller or crushed drive and long putt. It's really a mind test to see if you can get into the house with a 3, but is eerily unsettling, particularly after playing the tough hole 17.
Cons: Few. Normally my maximum score for an "all par 3's" course is a 3.5, but I bumped this one up a .5 owing to homie bias. This wasn't my first disc golf course, but it was the first one I fell in love with.

The stretch from hole 4 through the letter holes and ending on hole 5 is pretty boring. It's pretty close to wide-open and mostly crusher-friendly.

With the space given, an amazing 18 hole par 65 course could be constructed.
Other Thoughts: Be kind: leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

1    10/30/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: a3wasp
Pros: This is a well kept course, they just pulled out quite a few olive bushes opening up the fairway further. There is a variety of different types of holes. There are shorter ones, longer ones, hilly ones and flat ones. It is challenging yet fun.
Cons: There isn't really anything bad to say about this course, I guess just that I miss the pond holes because there is really no pond anymore. It is just about dried up.
Other Thoughts: I would say that this course is great for just about anybody, beginner and someone more experience.

Intense, diverse, and radical. But not the best around...

1    9/29/2012   10/2/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 7/8/2013
Pros: + Huge, double-coursed metropark with pay to play awesomeness
+ Rental shop, bathrooms, chill facility with some cool nature displays
+ Cardstock map/scorecard
+ Practice hole
+ The rough is played through enough to make it forgiving
+ Tees (Am and Pro), baskets, picnic tables, trash cans are all in good shape
+ Good use of elevation changes with a world-class diverse layout, easy to follow
+ Preserved natural obstacles (trees, stumps, etc.)
Cons: - Lots of bikers and hikers around
- Am tees with awfully inaccurate distances
Other Thoughts: If I were to guess, I would say this course was designed by goblins. They know we're expecting an amazing, fun course and instead they built one with beastly trees standing in the way of birdies. Wetlands, woods, wide open spaces... It has it all. Straight shots, anhyzers, hyzers, big long drives, alleys, a bridge shot, elevation changes that help, hurt, and frustrate. I imagine this is a course you can come back to again and again and learn something new every time.

I want to play the Monster course some day, and maybe play both courses when it's not so dried up and losing its color. I'm not sure exactly why this course didn't preserve its color through September like most other courses around. I think it's because it's played through so much. There are prettier courses around... But that's not why everyone plays dg...

Now, why isn't this the best course in the area? There's another one, more impressive, newer, and taken care of better. You can't just read my review and find out though. Go out and find it for yourself :)

Believe the Hype!

2-4    7/4/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Ricky_Rick
This review was updated on 7/20/2012
Pros: Well kept course with lots of variety.
Optional Long (Blue) or Short (Red) courses
Cement tee pads & chain baskets every hole
Good signage, picnic tables and trash cans
Wide open holes and narrow holes
24 holes to play, x2 courses (Monster)
Cons: Not much to complain about...
Bugs can be bad, but that is summer in Michigan
$5 for park and $2 per player to golf may deter some
Rough can be thick in some spots
Just wish I lived closer to it. :)
Other Thoughts: An absolute blast to play from the Red tees, and a very challenging course to play from the Blue tees. Well maintained, plenty of benches to rest at and traffic flows nicely thru 24 holes. I am not against paying to play if it keeps yahoos off course. I prefer the Original to the Monster myself, but to each his/her own. Definitely stop by and play this course, well worth the ratings hype!

< Prev 1 2 3