Tyler, TX
Lindsey Park - Red Course Share
Uploaded By: chalos13 Hole #1 (Taken 11/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Pretty damn impressed

1    4/3/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: I played this course right after playing the Gold course, and I know this isn't the popular opinion, but I have to say- I really loved this course, even a little better than the Gold course. Maybe it was the relief of having some open holes to start off with, but it really played nicely.

This course showcases the beauty of the park more than the Gold course, but not as much as the Blue. You do however get a good mix of open fairways around the trees in the fields you drive in on, and the technical holes in the woods. It's the most balanced in that sense.

The gentle hills on the Red course make great, scenic fairways, but the elevation isn't drastic (as I think of the steep hill shots on the Blue Course).

I almost forgot! Concrete tees on every hole, not just on the main tee, but on the short tee (which is usually where the tee sign was). Now THAT's commitment.

The warm up area has two baskets for putting back and forth. I always like a good area to practice putting, but you don't see the two-baskets set-up very often. It just is another thing that emphasizes the little touches this park gives to the disc golfers, and I wanted to acknowledge that.

And, obviously, saving the most obvious for last, the biggest, most monumental, colossal elevated basket pyramid on hole 9. That sucker is huge. Other than that it's a wide open hole, but honestly it doesn't need any other obstacles. It takes discs of steel to have the courage to putt from the bottom of it. There are stone steps on two sides of the structure to climb it to get your discs out of the basket, and the levels are wide enough to try and lay-up on.

Also, this isn't much to do with play, but I just really liked the Red baskets. I've seen a lot of different color baskets, but I think this park was my first time playing on Red baskets, and definitely first time on Blue. It doesn't effect play, just the "fun factor," or aesthetics, if you're looking for those.
Cons: The cons are few, but stand out. A few of the holes, and this is true for each course, are built in a swampy area. Here it was mainly the basket on hole 7, you throw downhill into a blind creek/muddy area. It's a great layout, just the ground that's unpleasant.

Hole...16 I want to say... plays over a small valley onto a plateau. It's reachable on your drive, and pretty easy lay-up to the area if you don't reach it (but there are a lot of trees, and it kind of slopes away), but getting up there is tough. The sandy banks have really worn away, and each person that plays the hole wears them away a little more.

The only major cons here are navigation, and playing on the road. After hole 16 (the embankment hole), the sign pointing you to the next tee is wrong. I think it points you to a path, which you have to turn to get to the tee, but it was hard. I had to walk all the way back to 16's tee, find 17's basket nearby, and trace the fairway back up. It was, coincidentally, my least favorite hole, but maybe I was a little frustrated. Getting to hole 12 after 11 was difficult as well, because it is on the other side of the parking lot from the first 10. CrazyBuffaloGuy pulled over on his way out to direct me.

The park road comes into play on a few holes, which I'm ok with, but it does add a little more of a dangerous element of having your disc ran over, or hitting a car. Hole 11's basket is an island green from the practice area to a median next to the parking lot. If it's windy, you're going to end up on asphalt, possibly under a parked car or in the bed of a truck.
Other Thoughts: Overall though, the whole course has pretty inventive holes, and is quite inspired. I really enjoyed playing. If I came back to this park I would just play the Blue and the Red for the elevation, the Gold if I wanted to punish myself in the trees.

Lindsey Park has obviously prioritized disc golf as one of their park attractions. I don't know why, or the history behind it (probably has something to do with the local university), but I love it. Three high-caliber 18 hole courses, HUGE elevated basket, double-basket practice area, multiple concrete tees (on Blue and Red)- they really invested in disc golf and the golfers themselves. It's a great experience.

I was privileged to play a round a half with CrazyBuffaloGuy from this site. It was fun, he was fun, the course is fun. If you're in the Tyler area, you definitely need to play these courses.

Interesting Course

1    4/7/2017   4/10/2017
Review By: MadGame32
Pros: -All tees had signage.
-Nicely sized concrete tees.
-Very nice baskets.
-Layouts of each hole was different for a nice variety.
-Very nice park.
-No danger of losing discs in water.
-The tower goal on #9 looks awesome.
-The signage from 15 through 17 was very helpful in locating tees.
Cons: -Fire ants are everywhere. It is nature, so that can be expected, but there are lots here if you are allergic to that sort of thing.
-I saw some poison ivy, but that is to be expected in nature. Once again, be aware if you are allergic to such things.
-#13 tee was difficult to understand. I only found one of the tee boxes, and I am still not sure I understand the intended flow of the hole. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure where I was supposed to throw.
-It was difficult to figure out how to get to 15 without a map. Some additional signage would be helpful. If it was there, then I missed it.
Other Thoughts: -As I have stated in other reviews, I do not like to play tower goals like the one on #9. It looks great, just not my preference in a course.
-The stonework on the 17th tee was the highlight of the trip. Very cool idea and great work putting it together. I would consider it the signature hole of the course.
-Overall, this was about as difficult of a course as I could stand being a relatively newcomer to the sport. I shudder to thing what playing the gold course would have been like. I loved the quality of the materials used and how well everything was kept up.

Open But Interesting

1    12/22/2016   12/22/2016
Review By: Prost
Pros: Great course to work on a variety of shots. I had to use various shot selections and almost every disc in my bag on this course.

While the course is pretty wide open, there were quite a few holes where you had to show some finesse to get from your first shot to the basket. The woods that are in play in this course are well placed on the hole to force you to choose a line, not just throw your driver as hard as you can straight ahead.

There is a great map and warmup area near the parking lot with two practice baskets. The course is an easy walk away and well marked in general (see cons for the one exception). The signage on the course was also very good.

Great mix of distances and elevations on this course. Not a ton of elevation, but it is a fun challenge on the holes that utilize it. There are also a good mixture of distances including two teepads for different skill of players.
Cons: The only difficult to navigate hole location was after finishing 15. I had to look around for a while to find the teepad for 16. Next time I'll know to take a picture of the map at the beginning of the course to help.

While this is nit-picky, there were a couple of times I thought I had lost a disc in the leaves. All the leaves had just come off the trees and the outsides of the fairways were difficult to navigate. Not a huge issue, but high visibility discs are helpful in the winter months.
Other Thoughts: Hole number 9 is a ton of fun to putt on.

When you are in the woods, pay attention to where the next teepad is located on the signage since there are bike trails through the woods to get lost on.

Solid Park Course

2-4    12/12/2014   12/13/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: After reading the previous two reviews I was expecting a mediocre little beginners course, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found to be a perfectly fine 18 holer.

Good variety of hole lengths, ranging from 198' to 465' from the short tees. Each hole offers a long tee, with some changing the distance and line only slightly, but others really stretching things out. For instance Hole 5 jumps from 226' to 673', and Hole 10 varies from 329' to 626'. All told, the long tees add nearly 800' to a 5344' course, so not too shabby.

Great concrete tee pads. Long, flat and with good texture. Nice descriptive tee signs as well. The teepad for hole 14 used all of the old "tombstone" type tee signs for form a retaining wall supporting the pad. Great way to keep those old signs on the course.

Baskets are a mix of a couple of different types, but all catch well.

Holes 1 - 3 start out fairly open, then Holes 4 - 7 start tucking baskets back into a thick treeline. Remaining holes vary between more open holes, often with out-of-bounds near the basket to some interesting holes back in the woods. Hole 18 is a nice finishing hole driving down a hill to the basket with out-of-bounds in close behind the basket.

There is modest elevation on the course which was utilized well to create quite a few modest uphill and downhill holes. Hole 9 is over flat ground but throws to a basket placed up on a large artificial pyramid structure. It gave an interesting twist to an otherwise plain hole.

There is a huge parking lot for the DG courses, and a large overall map showing the layout of all three courses.
Cons: Compared to the other two courses this one is more open and offers less elevation. I don't see this as a serious con, but I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.

When I played several areas were wet and boggy, so the course was a little sloppy. But this is East Texas so I was expecting some moisture.

Some of the holes play right along the main park access road, so watching for incoming traffic is necessary before throwing.
Other Thoughts: Lindsey Park offers three 18-hole courses and was a great destination for me. I enjoyed playing the Red Course before moving on to the more challenging Blue and Gold.

Red Shift

1    4/25/2014   6/10/2014
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Lindsey Park's Red Course offers a casual round that's great for beginners or those looking to offset the stresses of Lindsey Gold. Obstacles are present in the form of guarded pins, some elevation, OB, and the occasional tree, but these are limited: they're there just enough to introduce beginning players to a variety of obstacles without tempting frustration. The course's focus is clearly beginners, and I think it does a great job of offering new discers enough challenge to whet their appetite while easing them into the game. With two other courses on site available to those looking to step up in challenge, Lindsey Red can focus purely on beginners and casual players, and in that it succeeds. The occasional spectacle in the form of a downhill shot or the eye-grabbing pyramid-perched basket helps to ratchet up the fun.

Lindsey Red greatly benefits from having two other 18 hole courses on site. Between the three courses, there's something for everyone here, and a great variety of holes for someone passing through.

The tees are solid and the grooming seems to be wonderful. With little interaction with rough, there's little chance of losing your disc. Amenities such as parking, bathrooms, and the like are great.
Cons: Lindsey Red's cons mostly stem from its function as a beginner course, so it seems a bit misguided to rail on them. Still, they detract from the course when rating it comparatively to all the others out there.

The course is exceedingly open: there's little demand on shot shaping or control. Baskets usually lie in straight lines from the tee, and approaches are really only challenged by intermittent OB. In general, Lindsey Red doesn't give you much to think about. Again, this is a result of the course's function, but it certainly limits Lindsey Red's appeal to newbies and very casual outings. Otherwise, it just doesn't have very much to offer in itself to anyone outside of beginners.

For a newbie course, Lindsey Red brings the road into play as OB often enough that there could be some headaches for unwary drivers (vehicles, not discs) or wild-armed beginners.
Other Thoughts: Lindsey Red does its job as a beginner course rather well: its well-groomed and easy, but still offers introductory looks at some obstacle staples. Its appeal stops there for me, though: its too open and simple for much else. I appreciate devoting a portion of Lindsey Park's disc golf riches to showing newbies the game; I just can't rate the course higher for how simple and open it is.

To be honest, I found Lindsey Park to be a bit overrated when I visited: both the straight-forward and punishing Gold course and the simple Red one were disappoints for me, for opposite reasons. The Blue course is fun, solid, and varied, but I still came away thinking that Lindsey Park wasn't the destination site it appeared to be. Worth a visit if you're in the area for sure, but not a place I'd go out of my way again to get to.

Is that another donut shop?!

1    4/25/2014   5/9/2014
Review By: BigAl724
This review was updated on 6/10/2014
Pros: Lindsey Park offers three disc golf courses that are conveniently located near each other. The Red course is by far the easiest of the three courses and is definitely the one to play if you want to have a very casual round by yourself or with friends. It is also a great course to warm-up on before hitting up the Gold course or playing through fast after the other two courses like we did. The park has the necessary amenities including a large parking area, bathrooms, and water fountains. The course also features very large concrete tee pads and new(er) tees signs. Multiple tees give some variety to the difficulty and length of shots.

There's not a ton of elevation in this part of the park, but the course utilizes the elevation it has well. The best use of elevation - and my favorite hole on the course - is the downhill bomb on 18. One of the longest holes on the course, it plays through a few patches of trees and has a very big elevation change. Holes 1-5, 7, and 13-17 also do a decent job of incorporating minor elevation changes.

There's a good mix of completely open and moderately wooded holes. I enjoyed how holes 4-7 played from the open into part of the woods to the right, this was my favorite stretch of the course. Hole 7 was a fun one where the pin is tucked into a tight position within the trees to the right.

While completely random (at least for an out-of-towner; maybe there is more to it than I know) and seemingly very gimmicky, I actually enjoyed hole 9's enormous pyramid. I liked the challenge of trying to the land on the pyramid from the tee. Plus, it turns a completely open hole into something a little more interesting. Still, my brother and I were laughing at the complete randomness of the pyramid when we first drove into the park.
Cons: -A few holes play over/near park roads and the parking lot to a point when it can be unsafe if the parking lot was full - the holes that are most affected by this are 12-15.
-Not a huge variety of distances. While some holes were over 400 feet, about 2/3 of the holes are under 350 feet even from the long tees. The short tees are generally much shorter than that.
-After hole 7, there is a large stretch of holes that are basically completely open and seem repetitive. In general, this is not a challenging or punishing course.
-The navigation is iffy for the last six or so holes. It can get confusing as it plays close to a few of the Blue course's holes. Just look for the red or blue stripe on the tee sign. I'd recommend bringing a map.
Other Thoughts: From reading previous reviews, it sounds like this course has improved from its other design, which is encouraging to hear. To me, with a few too many lightly wooded holes on the course, I can't rate it above a 2.0. Still, the course is a quick play and worth hitting if you are in the area. The best part is that there are two other quality courses on site. If you only have time to play two, I'd highly recommend playing the Gold and Blue courses first. I encourage you to stop at Lindsey Park if you are passing through Tyler on your way to the Eastern Texas monster courses.

New layout, new pyramid, better course

5+    11/5/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: hookem41
This review was updated on 12/2/2012
Pros: This course is referred to as the Cedar course locally, and it not the easy punk course it used to be. This has a new layout and from the long tees it plays well over 7000 ft. but still considerably shorter from the short tees. It has a nice variety of reachable holes and some that a 3 is a great score on. There is an amazing, huge 3-tier pyramid on hole 9 that you will not soon forget. There are plenty of open holes, but some that you will have to also have to avoid trouble on. Great use of elevation and OB with the park road running past 5 of the holes. Great short and long concrete tee pads on every hole except 16 and 17 (the 2 new holes-also the only 2 that don't have the nice stone tee signs) and multiple pin locations on 15 & 16. Again, plenty of benches and trash cans.
Cons: Not many, some updated signage with distances on a few holes but it's a great course. It gets a little hard to follow on the back 9 but there's lot's of locals that will help you out. In my opinion this is no longer the easiest course in the park, especially from the long tees. Not quite the same shot shape variety as the other 2 courses in the park, but makes up for it with distance.
Other Thoughts: Cedar is cart friendly except maybe 16 & 17 in the back, but there's plenty of space to leave it and pick it back up. You will come back past the parking lot on hole 12 so you do have a chance to reload if you need to. This is the most open of the 3 courses, so you will need extra water in the summer because it is miserable hot. If the wind is blowing, you had better pay attention to your disc selection and your release angle.

Short, but fun

1    4/21/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: Notorious21
This review was updated on 6/21/2012
Pros:
- Multiple concrete tee pads for each hole
- Good use of elevation
- Good variation from hole to hole
- Shorter holes, but a very good balance between being too easy and annoyingly difficult
Cons:
- Some of the signage on the back 9 was a little messed up. We never found hole 14.
- Won't challenge advanced players
- Although this is the easiest of the three Lindsey courses, it is still very fun to play, especially if you are an intermediate player who likes to make an occasional ace run, and the longer tees are still challenging enough.

5+    2/22/2011   2/24/2011
Review By: coolpooky7
Pros: This course is fun to alternate throwing from the red and blue tee boxes. The 2 super long holes from the blue tee box are a great challenge. The course flows really well too. you end pretty close to where you start.
Cons: I do not like the old baskets. Many of my putts hit dead center and just come straight out. Maybe I am just spoiled on the newer Innova baskets.

Difficult Warm Up

1    9/23/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: DeadEye
Pros: Good use of terrain, relatively difficult, concrete tee boxes. Some shots are tight through woods while others are over roads. Trees block a good amount of holes, making it more difficult.
Cons: Semi-difficult to navigate, bring a map.. Wear tall socks, fire ants are killer. A lot of it is wide open, so a driver that can go through headwind is needed

< Prev 1 2 3