Tallahassee, FL
Jack McLean Park Share
Uploaded By: stsren Hole #18 (Taken 6/2010)

Another great course in Tallahassee

5+    1/29/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: Challenging course with some neat hole layouts. Makes you really think about the correct disc/throw combination.

Decent elevation change.

Although overall a tight, tougher course, there are still several open fairways where you can really let it rip.

Easy to follow course layout, one basket leads right to the next tee.

Cons: Lacks some general maintenance. Trash scattered around in some areas, rough tee pads at some holes and inaccurate or missing tee signs

Unfortunately in a rough area of town.
Other Thoughts: A fun, challenging course within a 10 minute drive of another great course.

chewed on me, then spit me out

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
This review was updated on 6/9/2013
Pros: -Nice Rules Sign
-Plenty of shade
-Pool near course
-Variety of tee pads on some holes
-Should keep the short tempered away
Cons: -Only bathroom at Community Center
-Need bug spray
-No benches
-Not beginner friendley
-No maps
-Needs better basket identification from a distance (brighter color)
-Better tee pad signs would be nice
Other Thoughts: I have played one other course like this in my year of playing disc golf and it is the brand new Inverness course in Hoover, AL.. Difficult (for me), yes, beginner friendly, no. I agree with another review, this course is not for the short tempered. I'm a little surprised this course has been here as long as it has and there have not been more improvements on the signs. More details on the tee signs would be nice. No benches that I can recall. The baskets were difficult to see at times, not because of the trees but because the only identification for locating the basket at a distance was the small block of orange on the pole in the middle of the chains. Holes were good length, but if you hit a tree on your opening drive, there is a good chance you will make bogey and be looking for your disc. Better bring your most accurate straight line discs as most of your drives are right down the pipe, and a good distance (check the pictures). Bring your bug spray as there were plenty of mosquitoes who were more than happy to see us. Tee pads were good with Am and Pro concrete pads. When you get too hot there is a nice community pool that the course circles. Nice locals. Must have went on a busy day as there were a LOT of people there, but only saw two others playing disc golf. Definitley need to practice more before going back as this course chewed me up and spit me back out.

06/09/13
Played this course for the second time and I now have a new respect for the course. Shot 6 better this round than I did the first time I played this course. Just have to practice and work on my shots!
Also adjusted my rating with a little more respect.

Enter the beast.

1    3/20/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Tight.
Tight.
Tight.

Lots of trees by the way.

Relatively nice teepads, I wish they were a bit wider but the length of them is solid enough to make up for it.

Defined paths inbetween holes, didn't need a map to play it.

Quite a bit of elevation, which when combined with some of the absolutely ridiculous hole shapes, makes for some really fun golf.
Cons: This park is HUGE! When I played out here there were tonssss of people out here, saw at least 70 plus people while playing ON the course...none of them disc golfers, crazy loud music that you can hear all the way in the back of the woods, it's not a huge con but it is kind of annoying.

Other Thoughts: I can't think of a lot of Pros and Cons but I can write about this course for days.

While this course is challenging, it is extremely fair. It has been worn in and there are almost no random limbs or trees to make you staying in the fairway an issue, the only thing to make this course difficult is YOU. Something I did with excellence.

These are some of the most awesome hole shapes ever, I can't think of the hole # off the top of my head, but the hole where you go about 300 uphill then about 270ish back in the direction you just came from almost..lol. So awesome. If you manage to stay in the fairway out here you will have a shit eating grin on your face, if not, well, sorry...

Tough & slightly scary!

1    12/19/2011   12/23/2011
Review By: allent
This review was updated on 12/29/2011
Pros: This course is extremely wooded and difficult, but is a great practice course in that it requires a ton of different shots from the tee, as well as from the woods, and pinpoint accuracy. Unless you are a true pro (and maybe even then) you will hit an early tree at some point(s) and will end up having to throw all sorts of wicked recovery shots that you just don't have an opportunity to throw very often. Playing this course and working on your game on these holes will make you a better player, there is no way around it. Just don't go here expecting to shatter par, especially from the back tees.
Cons: I love a difficult, tight, wooded course, but this course borders on the insane. It almost feels like you are taking some sort of a final exam to graduate from a year-long anger management course, just to see if you can keep your cool. Some holes have one tee and others have 3...some are very rough concrete, others are different concrete, others are carpet, and 1 was dirt. The signs at the tees didn't seem to be very accurate or helpful beyond helping you know where the tee was located since most were completely covered in leaves. The back tees, on those holes that have them, didn't look like they'd been played in a while, but I guess that's understandable since the front tees (or middle, depending) give you all that you want and then some. I also found it odd the number of people (mostly kids) walking right through the course. I'm not sure why this is, but apparently there must be a school nearby and they use the paths through the course to get to the community center in this park. There was a good bit of trash scattered around and a few holes play right up close to the backyard of some pretty rough looking houses. I would not flirt with darkness on this course. Once the sun sets, be close to your car and ready to get out of dodge!
Other Thoughts: This course just has so much potential. A few holes need some sort of throwing lane to at least attempt. I will, however, play this course again and recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge. I had to think on this course about my shot and the disc I would throw more than I can ever remember on any course I've played. As I mention, I do believe playing this course, especially developing any sort of proficiency on it, will make me a much better player and make other courses that I thought were tough and tight, not seem quite so bad. But I'll definitely make sure I have someone I know to play with and will be done by dusk.

Slush Box Review

1    3/13/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: ILER
This review was updated on 4/10/2011
Pros: The course was very interesting and always kept you busy on the type of throw you would use. The area was kept up better recently than I have heard it being kept up before. The par system does help someone who is not seasoned yet.
Cons: Sometimes the hole would have three tee's to choose from. Not sure if they changed the distance and just didn't remove one of the tees or not. Hole 13 did not have a sign we had to walk and find the basket. The layout is not very good for people who do not know the sport or the park. The baskets were not easily seen even at times when they were straight ahead. They need some sort of reflective tape or something to make them easier to see.
Other Thoughts: I have high hopes for the course for the fact that a lot of the holes were very interesting. It is a must for anyone visiting Tallahassee who want a challenge.

Best Course in Tallahassee

2-4    6/10/2010   12/11/2010
Review By: GT Chris
Pros: This course is a test of shot execution and recovery shots. A difficult test. I found that the course didn't require much creativity in that not many holes forced you to choose a route. Most holes had a clear, well-defined fairway with just that route. You couldn't walk up to every tee and find a hyzer line. You are given a line, and asked whether or not you can execute. Can you throw a straight shot that fades a little right at the end? Can you throw a long slow hyzer shot? Now can you throw perfectly straight shot with no fade? Or an anhyzer shot, even though a forehand might be a better option? You get the idea. I personally found this to be a very fun and unique challenge.

Overall, the course tested just about shot type at least once. Many of the holes had some distance, so some risk-reward came into play as you had to choose between going for it on the drive or laying up to stay in the fairway.

In this case, well-defined fairway also meant well-defined rough. If you miss a fairway, you will be punished. The rough is thick and for the most part does not allow bad shots to get lucky and find their way back onto the fairway. That said, you're forced to try all sorts of awkward stances and throwing styles to get out of trouble. Specialty shots like woods rollers and overhead shots will help you.

One more thing I absolutely loved about the course were the fairway markers. Many of the baskets were blind from the pad. But every blind hole also had a small, highly visible metal sign 200 or 300 feet down the fairway with an arrow pointing in the direction of the basket. As someone unfamiliar with the course, I found these to be extremely helpful.
Cons: The thick rough lends itself to lost discs quite easily. You really have to pay attention and watch every shot. There were also some holes with poor routes, which in my opinion offered no legitimate birdie chance, and a few wayward trees which could punish good shots and reward bad ones.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while visiting some friends at FSU. I liked it so much I went back the next day and played two rounds. I also felt it was worth writing a review to try and get more players to discover this gem of a course.

Standout hole worth mentioning is the 'hogback' hole, #13. Loved it.

Bold and Beautiful - Designed to Humble

2-4    6/12/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: stsren
This review was updated on 6/16/2010
Pros: 1 - Excellent utilization of elevation change (no hole lacks some subtle change in elevation - lots of uphill / downhill basket locations with most notable being Hole #13, a basket on top of a ridge ~15' ravine drop to left , 8' drop to right and behind making for a tough approach!)
2 - A lot of different shot shapes, from Hyzer, to Anhyzer, to S-Curve, to a couple of shapes that are indescribable and may not be physically possible for a disc to follow.
3 - Narrow fairways forcing shot shaping and great control, use every disc in your bag (some will see this as a con)
4 - Good tee signs and almost all wide and long cement tee pads (a couple of rubber / carpet pads)
5 - Nice flow to course, easy to follow.
6 - Well marked OB in areas where residential homes come into play
7 - Long holes, with 19 of 24 holes being 300' or more!
8 - Bathroom facilities are good
9 - Small waterpark, basketball courts, tennis courts, and baseball diamond located in the park
Cons: 1 - Lots of underbrush makes losing a disc a possibility
2 - Not enough open holes hurt the overall variety and "fun factor"
3 - Not beginner friendly course (due to thickness of woods, length of most holes, and multitude of difficult shot shapes necessary to score well)
4 - Not enough garbage cans or benches, which I think should be located at every other hole...the garbage cans were sporadic and not even placed at the beginning of holes...benches few and far between.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I was taken with the beauty of this course. I love the rolling hills and the challenges presented by the woods. Water doesn't really come into play here (unless you go to the water park to cool off), but don't worry, there are plenty of chances to get your penalty strokes in by losing discs in the woods. If you're playing this course, be ready for a supreme challenge and expect to have nightmares about forests closing in on you. I think a beginner could play this course, but I'm not sure it would be productive, since it demands many different shots to score well. If you're not worried about score, however, and want to work on accuracy, look no further!

I recommend this course for people who don't get hung up on what their score is, but rather enjoy a great challenge and enjoy being forced to throw on many different lines and angles. Par is great on this course, birdie is superb, and bogey is pretty decent, too!

If I'm in Tallahassee again, I'd love to play this course (along with Tom Brown)!

Side note: I lost my CryZtal Buzzz, yellow-green translucent, on hole #4 throwing from the bend down towards the basket - disc went off to right maybe 60' short of basket and appeared to shoot further right once it hit first set of trees. I didn't let this impact my review, but if you happen to find my disc sitting in a tree there, call me and I'll give you $$ for returning. :) Thanks for reading, enjoy!
6/16/2010 - Added course photos. Special thanks to my wife for taking the photos while I was playing!

Tally-Ho!

1    3/10/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: TreeBurner
Pros: Some holes are pretty challenging and suprisingly long for par 3s. Fairways are tight on most holes and the "rough" is overgrown and unforgiving. By the 4th hole, I wasn't sure if I was playing a pure par 3 course or not. I managed a par on a 584ft hole and hit some beautiful long putts out there, but it was tough.24 holes in a small park. Not crowded at all. Most of the holes give you a reasonable line to carve out your drive, but there is a bit of variety so you will have to throw some different shot types.
Cons: Park has some questionable patrons that aren't exactly using the facilities. Hard to navigate the first time. It may take you longer to find the first tee than it will to play the rest of the round. However, if I had read these reviews prior to coming out I would have probably found that 1st tee.
Other Thoughts: Tree Hate!

I actually love this course

5+    7/4/2009   3/30/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: I really enjoy playing this couse unlike the other reviewers and people who have shot a round here. There are plenty of positive aspects about this course, but there are negative ones as well.

- This is a very challenging course. There aren't too many holes to just grip and rip. You have to be very strategic and you will use every disc in your bag! If I get to use all of my discs and often, I think that's a huge plus.

- Pretty simple to navigate around the holes, especially on the back 9 where they zig zag with one another.

- Good elevation changes througout the course.

- Plenty of shade since the holes are mostly in heavy woods. Great to keep you cool, but I tend to avoid the course in the summer.

- You have a great selection of anhyzer and hyzer shots with long and short holes. Just a really solid course design considering the density of the woods.
Cons: - Summer months are very rough here and I tend to avoid the course. The brush grows rapidly and it's really tough to find a disc if you veer off course (which you will often).

- Tics will be there in the summer too since you're in the deep woods.

- Fairways are very narrow, almost too narrow at times. I have a big arm and if I don't hit the fairway exactly I will be hunting for a disc in the brush (even in the winter when it's died back you can still struggle to find a disc).

- Rough part of town. I have not ever had any problems here, but some other locals have either been harrassed or heard stories of harrassment. Based on this I will never bring my wife and daughter here to play with me. This is a men or adult only course in my mind.

- Most of the negatives of this course for me have little to do with course design. Some people think this course is too much and think it requires luck more than skill. I disagree. This is a great course to really challenge even the best player.
Other Thoughts: If you will be in Tallahassee long enough to play two courses then I would say you have to try out "The Beast", Jack McLean. If you can only play one round I would recommend Tom Brown Park. Tom Brown is a great DGC, but Jack McLean is a very different park.

If you're looking for a really frustrating and challenging day of disc golf, this is the place. I would say that you should avoid going alone. Not just because of the surroundings, but if you're going to have a rough round it's much more fun to struggle with someone so you can laugh about it later.

This isn't a course where you will play par 3 for each hole and feel good about yourself afterwards, but that being said I can get a score in the low 80's on a good day with all 24 holes.

Not My Cup of Tea

5+    5/1/2007   1/13/2010
Review By: melkman
Pros: -good potential to be a great course
-varying elevation
-easy to navigate
-good facilities
Cons: -HARD!!
-extremely wooded
-must be very precise or you'll be hunting for your disc.
Other Thoughts: I personally play disc golf because it is an extremely fun sport. For beginners and veterans alike. For me, this course just isn't fun. every shot is like threading a needle. if you're off by a few feet, then you're in deep woods. I spent more time looking for my discs then playing. I played this course a handful of times while living in Tallahassee when it was pretty new. They basically cut through a forest to make the holes. A great improvement would be to double or triple the width of most of the holes. There just isn't enough room for us non-pros. I haven't played there in a while so there is a good chance they've made some improvements. one of the other reviewers put it best "Obviously this is not beginner friendly, it may not have been designed for beginners, but I mention it for information sake, and I consider it always a negative when a course can't provide for multiple skill levels, unless clearly designed for tournament and professional play." I'm glad this wasn't my first course I played otherwise I might not of found out how much fun this sport can be.