Omaha, NE
Hummel Park Share
Uploaded By: AJDisc Hole #8 (Taken 10/2013)

WOW!!!

1    2/17/2017   2/17/2017
Review By: dickwolf
This review was updated on 3/4/2017
Pros: I literally have nothing to compare this course to. It is AWESOME!!!
It is by far the most exhausting course (due to elevation changes) that I have ever played.
It is very difficult, but in no way is it unfair. If you didnt take the time to find the basket (and while you were at it) check the lay of the land for creeks or cliffs, thats on you.
No 2 holes are even kind of the same.
Some extremely well thought out pin placements (multiple every hole).
Good placement of tee boxes, but really bad dirt boxes. More on that in a bit.
Absolutely stunningly beautiful location and some incredible views. Giant mature trees come into play every hole. Its hauntingly quiet and peaceful. *Do your homework on my choice of "hauntingly"*
The info on the signs is perfect on the holes that had them, however they blend into the scenery too well, making it quite difficult for a first timer to find the next hole very often... even with a map (which I downloaded). Unfortunately, about 6 holes had no signs today.
This course is the ultimate test of many aspects of disc golf, primarily the mental. If you attempt to hurry through it, you WILL get pummeled. You will need to know how to control your mind when the exhaustion kicks in, you will need your precision and finesse games to be on, but you will need all of your arm as well.
If its your first time playing here, take your time scoping out where the baskets are, and the lay of the land. Take a minute to catch your breath between shots and expect a 3 hour round.
I have never been this impressed with the layout of a disc golf course. I had a lot if fun playing here too!!! I shot a 63 today, but stupidly didnt pay attention to what the actual par of the course was, but with so many missing signs, never would have known anyways.
If you are in the area PLAY THIS COURSE!!!
I am only including the next part for fair warning and full disclosure.
The course was in absolutely terrible condition due to it being spring in Omaha. It was so muddy that I could not even use the (very poorly designed dirt (2 inches of mud today))tee boxes. The elevation changes are so severe and the course so muddy that I fell 4 times. Potentially VERY dangerous.
That being said, this is the best course I can remember ever playing. PRO CALIBER for certain. The course cannot be to blame for its condition today, so I deduct no points. The tee pads however should never be in this condition. Dirt pads on a course of this quality is by far WORST design flaw I have ever seen. Fix this and the signage, and we go higher than 5.0.
Cons: The dirt tee pads are a major design flaw on a course this pure. SHALL WE START A GO FUND ME? I WILL CONTRIBUTE

Often difficult to find the next the next hole.

Tee box signs blend in to the surroundings too well and many are missing altogether.
Other Thoughts: YOU WILL TOTALLY THANK ME FOR THIS!!! https://www.google.com/search...bBTIQ_AUIBigC#imgrc=t6TBAIp2apiXSM:

Is this really in Omaha?

1    12/1/2014   12/15/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +Insane elevation. On many holes. Even the flattest ones featured some kind of elevation. The signs also tell you how much elevation change there is on each hole which is very helpful.
+Great signage. Of course they have the problem of not showing what pin location is in but most courses do.
+Baskets are nice enough. Some are graffiti'd a little bit but not bad.
+Tight but very fair woods golf on most every hole on the course.
+Very high fun factor for me.
+Many holes were pretty long, like 5-600' wasn't uncommon. These holes weren't big flat open bombers either.
+Many fast greens and even fairways. Every shot had to be well thought or it might get out of control.
+Some fun OB if you use roads and parking lots as OB.
+For being in the largest city in NE, this course was very remote. I played in December but it was still 30+ degrees and snow free so it was a great day for disc and noone else was on the course.
+Huge varieties of holes. I was excited to see what was next. No two holes felt very similar and all were fun.
+Probably doesn't get too busy as it is pretty remote.
+Really easy to find just off the Interstate and a few miles straight north of the airport.
Cons: -This course is kind of hard to navigate. You sometimes criss-cross other holes or have to walk a bit to the next hole. It isn't always very intuitive because there are walking paths that aren't related to disc golf all over as well. The flow isn't great.
-You could lose a disc here. With all of the extreme elevation, a disc could end up where you can't find it or maybe even can't get to it. Discs can fly forever downhill.
-The tees are natural and are pretty lumpy. If they were improved on, this course would jump up to a 4.5 and be in my top 10.
-Some vandalism, trash, graffiti. Not horrible but it's always nice to not have any of that.
-Not many amenities that are easily accessible on most of the course. The course is in a nature area so it is pretty bare bones.
-If you aren't fit, be careful here. Some holes have elevation changes of around 100'.
-There will be some erosion issues here if it gets a lot of use. Some holes have preventative structures but many don't.
Other Thoughts: +This is by far the best course in the city and one of the best in Nebraska for sure.
+Well worth a stop. I was pleasantly surprised at the crazy elevation and amount of trees. The cons that others talk about didn't seem nearly as bad as they said they were.
+This course might be best played early or late in the season to avoid issues that others have talked about.

Physically challenging...and I loved it.

2-4    10/19/2014   10/22/2014
Review By: ihandlesnakes
Pros: 1. If you like elevation changes, this course will fulfill your dreams.
2. If you like trees, you will find plenty to challenge you.
3. If you want a nice workout, you will find one here. I played it twice and was beat after the second round.
4. If you don't like heat on a hot day, this course shouldn't be too bad due to all holes having tall, mature trees in play.
5. The easiest hole on this course is probably as hard as the hardest hole on most courses.
Cons: 1. Course is incomplete as far as signs go. The signs they have are good.
2. The flow from holes 3 - 4 and 10 - 11 can be confusing. See below for details.
3. Hole 1 throws down a set of steps that you will want to make sure nobody is coming up or going down before you throw. There isn't any warning for walkers to be aware of discs.
4. I would be careful if it has rained recently. Holes 5 and 7 could be under water and I am sure footing would be difficult due to the steepness of some of the fairways and paths between holes.
Other Thoughts: First, getting there. I had never been to the park. I ended up parking near the basket for hole 1. So, I walked to the tee pad which was up the hill. There were steps but it was still a long way to go before I even started. So, upon entering the park, take the road that has the automatic gate. That will take you to the shelter near hole 1.
I really liked the elevation changes and having to find lines through the trees. The distances were a bit long for my old arm but I only had one hole (18) that I felt I couldn't reach in two. Unfortunately for me, I took a six on hole 2 both rounds due to terrible second throws and seemed to enjoy trees on a lot of the holes.
Find holes 4 and 10. After throwing hole 3, go down the path to the road, walk to the right along the road and take the path along the creek. The tee is 300 feet or so down the path. After hole 10, face the road and the path you need it about 7 or 8 o'clock. I spent about 45 minutes my first round looking for these two holes.
At this time this is one of my favorite courses. It may never be a five because some of the things that would make it a five also create problems. The elevation changes and the two baskets near the creek.
I recommend you play this at least once, if your health and fitness level are overall good. It is VERY challenging physically.

This is Nebraska?

1    9/16/2012   9/24/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a wooded, hilly park. Elevation comes into play on most holes, and is the defining feature of the layout. There are a few great downhill shots, offering tight windows and plenty of punishment for missing your line along with the fun of the downhill. Several holes offer tough uphills, steep enough to really change your shot and add to the effective length. Some valley shots, an up and over and many with various smaller elevation changes make this a tough walk and a really fun play.

The park is very wooded, many of the holes have tight lines with thick enough rough to really punish errant shots. You'll need a good mix of line shaping skills, the course has a good balance of left and right turning shots with all kinds of lengths and shapes. The creek comes into play on a handful of shots, offering lurking ob and an awkward shot from the low area around the creek to get back onto the fairways.
Cons: Navigation was tricky when I played, it seems like that's a work in progress. There are a few spots with spray paint, but that's pretty sporadic and the numbering doesn't match the map available here. With no tee signs and no next tee signs, you'll end up doing quite a bit of extra walking to find your way and figure out where to throw.

The tees aren't great, some aren't all that level and a few have some ruts. Some of the hillsides show erosion, on a wet day the steeper spots would be really difficult to walk. A road is right along several holes, taking away from the secluded feeling. A couple holes play directly over the park road, potentially a safety issue.
Other Thoughts: This course is a blast, with lots of challenging shots and a ton of variety. I love courses that use elevation well to mix things up, and this one definitely fits the bill. Advanced players will definitely be tested here, there's not a ton of length but most other disc golf skills are needed to score well. Beginners will find this a tough walk and a tough layout, there is a lot of rough and plenty of potential for roll aways on top of difficult shots.

One of NE better courses

1    5/25/2012   6/14/2012
Review By: edavis
Pros: Very challenging course, very clear fairways, and markings. Would highly recommend this course to any disc golfing friend.
Cons: Print the course map off of the link above, or you will get lost. If I had not gone with a friend who had recently golfed there I would have been lost. They also need to make their tee pads more stable, most rubber tee pads were pushed off to the side, and not used. Also they need to do some trash pickup as there were plastic sacks hanging on trees although there were beer cans everywhere.
Other Thoughts: beautiful park, great course design. One of my new favorites for sure!

Great wooded course

1    5/5/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: tlandegent
Pros: As other reviewers noted, this course makes you use every trick in your bag. Great use of ravines and elevation.
Cons: The tees and holes were sometimes difficult even with a course map in hand. The basket for #4 was missing.
Other Thoughts: Good shoes are a must. Don't even think about sandals. We thought we could bring my kid and nephew in a heavy duty stroller, but that was not going to happen.
I only was able to play through about 7 holes, but it was worth it. I hope to be back.

mountain golf

1    1/1/2012   1/8/2012
Review By: blkwizardsonny
This review was updated on 12/15/2013
Pros: im giving this course a 5 rating even with it not complete.yes that sik every hole you walk up to is breathtaking mostly the downhill tunnel shots are the coolest the haunted stairwell hole is rediculous .great workout while great challenging golf fast greens and mezzanines sssssssss
Cons: only con i see is that its not finished can be played easily but there are no tee pads yet and its muddy when we were there .too far from des moines lol
Other Thoughts: this course when finiished will be a premier course in the midwest good job all

Elevation!

5+    12/26/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: DGRunner
This review was updated on 3/14/2012
Pros: This is the premier course in Omaha. It requires a high skill set and savvy execution. 5, 6, and 7 are super challenging. The rest of the holes traverse up and down the hills and valleys. The course has a worn path so it is pretty simple to navigate. I'd still recommend a map (though one has not been made accessible) or playing with someone who knows where they are going. On every hole, you have to contend with the trees. Omaha is normally windy, but the trees do a good job of calming the wind.
Cons: I think #1 would be better if it were ace-able. There are not many ace chances, but I know there have been several already. I prefer the dirt tee boxes, but I also prefer signs. I'm sure they will be there in time. This course is probably more difficult in the summer with weeds and bugs. In the summer: blind shots + slopes + plants = lost discs.
Other Thoughts: The course is remote so I imagine foot traffic to be similar to Cunningham aka light. I will be intrigued to see where the other pin positions will be added or if other tee boxes will be added. Either way the course is hard as is. No matter who you play with, every hole and every round could see wild variations in the scores.

Awesome course

2-4    10/8/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: MaxxPower
Pros: This is a very good course in just about every aspect of it. I would say overall it is the best in the omaha area. First off it is a beautiful park expecially for omaha terrain wise and you will get that from hole 1 through 18. Each hole has its own unique design and varying difficulty. My personal favorite is hole 7 with it being about 450 feet long through trees to finish with a shot down onto a mezzanine.
Cons: With it being fall and this course in a heavily wooded area there are leaves everywhere and can sometimes make it hard to locate discs. Also if you are not in good physical shape this is a very physical course to play with some holes having 300 to 500 foot elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: Here is a site with a map for the course http://discgolfstats.com/secu...spx?cid=1465.

Absolutely AWESOME!

2-4    10/5/2011   10/5/2011
Review By: BalataGrande
Pros: This course is breathtaking! Not only the views off the bluff but in the walking of the course. The elevation changes on most of the holes is like no other course I've played in the area. Almost every hole has an OB line or area that makes shot making essential. Hole 1 is awesome with an extreme downhill throw down a staircase. Hole 2 is my favorite. A steep uphill throw off the tee with a BIG penalty for being right.......a drop off a cliff is the BIG penalty! The 2nd shot is another downhill that falls off to the right, dont go too far tho or you're OB. I won't go hole by hole for space sake, but each hole has it's own personality and I threw RHBH and RHFH almost equally off the tees.
Cons: 2 things, although neither affected my overall experience too much. 1-The trees that were cut to create the "fairways" were left about 3-5" and I tripped over several. 2-There are no hole signs marking the tee boxes. I know this probably is to come but I'd love to have some distance reference. After the 3rd hole, following the orange arrows/dots on the trees guide the way, but the leaves are falling and cover up the tee boxes as they are natural.
Other Thoughts: My overall experience was great at Hummel. It's the best course I've played to date, I gave it a 4 b/c it's not perfect but extremely fun to play. I was worried it may be too difficult for me as I'm just an average player but I found it to be within my skill set. This is a course that can be played well with good shot making but will penalize an errant shot with a vengeance. There are some double/triple bogeys out there for you!! In closing, I will say that we went around twice today and I'm in pretty decent physical shape and was pretty tired at the end of 36 holes. It's physically challenging to play this course! LOVE IT!