Omaha, NE
Hummel Park Share
Uploaded By: AJDisc Hole #12 (Taken 10/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3
Challenging Course

1    7/12/2017   10/12/2017
Review By: benny34
Pros:
+ Well thought out holes with a wide variety.
+ Many holes took two good shots to get to the green.
+ Good use of elevation.
+ Many holes you have to have a think about what you want to do with your drive, there are intentional landing zones to setup the rest of the hole.
+ Some good views and a cool area along the river.
Cons:
- Hole navigation is a bit tricky. It took us a while to find hole 1&4. See below.
- Spotty cell coverage so don't rely on Udisc or finding a map online.
- Some missing tee signs throughout.
- There may be other people using the area for non disc golf activities.
- On hole 1 the parking lot could come into play. (so park accordingly)
This course was a ton of fun. Every hole has some elevation and a line or two to hit. There are few open shots. If you are missing your landing zones you will pay for it. The course does a great job of making you hit your lines without being overly punishing. There are alot of trees but I never felt like there were any "poke and hope" type of holes. There were some very memorable holes here.

I only played it once, but I think it would be more fun after having known the course better now. There were a couple of holes where we walked the entire hole to find the pin and had to walk back to tee afterwards. NOTE: Hole 1 is up at the top of some stone stairs and Hole 4 on level ground with the road to get into the park.

Our play through took much longer than we had planned for. This is not a course you will play through quickly.

I hope to get back out to this course again! Some better signs/tees would make this a must play course.

Challenge Accepted

5+    8/15/2017   8/22/2017
Review By: JohnBearkiller
Pros: Not busy
Course Maps Accurate
Easy to find
Challenging precision shots
Well-maintained fairways
Cons: Dirt pads (which can turn to mud after rain)

Other Thoughts: Once you get accustomed to the woods and elevation change, you keep coming back for more. The course is testing a new thick grass-like turf to replace all pads, which will make this course amazing.

2-4    8/13/2017   8/13/2017
Review By: DiSCRoCKeR
Pros: -Challenging course through a heavily wooded park. Trees are in play on every hole, so there is a strong focus on accuracy and placement.
-Great use of elevation changes. Elevation comes in to play on most of the holes with a pretty balanced mix of up and down. This courses provides a nice hike, although a few of the steep uphill walks can get some people winded.
-The natural tee pads are nicely leveled.
-Quite a few of the holes have log benches near the tees.
-There is a good mix of left, right, and straight holes and 3 pin placements on most, if not all of the holes.
-A small creek provides a water hazard on several holes.
Cons: -There was quite a bit of trash and broken glass throughout the course and not many trash cans to be found.
-Natural tees. It's a shame that this course still hasn't put in permanent tee pads. There is one turf tee on hole 2, but the rest are all dirt.
-Missing tee signs on a few holes.
-The course has some flow issues early on and could get confusing to first timers without a course map. Some next tee signs would be beneficial, especially the first five holes. Once you get to hole 6 the course begins to flow more instinctively.
-Too many blind pin placements for my liking.
-There are a couple of holes that stand out, some for the wrong reasons, but I didn't get much wow factor after the first hole. Hole 1 is a pretty cool steep downhill throw over an old stone staircase, but there is a small parking area that is in the danger zone of cars being hit by discs.
-The course could use a bit of maintenance trimming and clean up off of the fairways. Watch out for stinging nettles and thorns.
-If it has rained, this course would be pretty dangerous to play. My kids had trouble on some of the hilly areas even with dry conditions.
-Some of these holes would be best to have a spotter. There are plenty of opportunities to lose a disc off the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a pretty good course, although a bit overrated. The course is very challenging for those who aren't accurate or skilled throwers and there is a lot of punishment to be found for not hitting your lines. The lack of tee pads, signage, and upkeep really take away from giving this course a better rating. But even if those issues are addressed, I probably wouldn't rate this course any higher.

WOW!!!

1    2/17/2017   2/17/2017
Review By: dickwolf
This review was updated on 3/4/2017
Pros: I literally have nothing to compare this course to. It is AWESOME!!!
It is by far the most exhausting course (due to elevation changes) that I have ever played.
It is very difficult, but in no way is it unfair. If you didnt take the time to find the basket (and while you were at it) check the lay of the land for creeks or cliffs, thats on you.
No 2 holes are even kind of the same.
Some extremely well thought out pin placements (multiple every hole).
Good placement of tee boxes, but really bad dirt boxes. More on that in a bit.
Absolutely stunningly beautiful location and some incredible views. Giant mature trees come into play every hole. Its hauntingly quiet and peaceful. *Do your homework on my choice of "hauntingly"*
The info on the signs is perfect on the holes that had them, however they blend into the scenery too well, making it quite difficult for a first timer to find the next hole very often... even with a map (which I downloaded). Unfortunately, about 6 holes had no signs today.
This course is the ultimate test of many aspects of disc golf, primarily the mental. If you attempt to hurry through it, you WILL get pummeled. You will need to know how to control your mind when the exhaustion kicks in, you will need your precision and finesse games to be on, but you will need all of your arm as well.
If its your first time playing here, take your time scoping out where the baskets are, and the lay of the land. Take a minute to catch your breath between shots and expect a 3 hour round.
I have never been this impressed with the layout of a disc golf course. I had a lot if fun playing here too!!! I shot a 63 today, but stupidly didnt pay attention to what the actual par of the course was, but with so many missing signs, never would have known anyways.
If you are in the area PLAY THIS COURSE!!!
I am only including the next part for fair warning and full disclosure.
The course was in absolutely terrible condition due to it being spring in Omaha. It was so muddy that I could not even use the (very poorly designed dirt (2 inches of mud today))tee boxes. The elevation changes are so severe and the course so muddy that I fell 4 times. Potentially VERY dangerous.
That being said, this is the best course I can remember ever playing. PRO CALIBER for certain. The course cannot be to blame for its condition today, so I deduct no points. The tee pads however should never be in this condition. Dirt pads on a course of this quality is by far WORST design flaw I have ever seen. Fix this and the signage, and we go higher than 5.0.
Cons: The dirt tee pads are a major design flaw on a course this pure. SHALL WE START A GO FUND ME? I WILL CONTRIBUTE

Often difficult to find the next the next hole.

Tee box signs blend in to the surroundings too well and many are missing altogether.
Other Thoughts: YOU WILL TOTALLY THANK ME FOR THIS!!! https://www.google.com/search...bBTIQ_AUIBigC#imgrc=t6TBAIp2apiXSM:

The Best Course on Earth?

2-4    8/26/2015   1/17/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
Pros: Council Bluffs is just across the river, and this magnificent course is on the Omaha bluffs and is completely secluded and I saw almost no one playing it during my time there.

The holes are extremely long, sloping, densely wooded with narrow fairways, and have the most extreme elevation changes I've ever seen. I wasn't aware of course par at the time, playing them all as 3s, but entering my rounds of 57, 59 and 56 were all in the 1000 range. It's that difficult. I would personally have to play perfect and error free golf to avoid bogies or doubles, and I saw only 4 holes that might be regular birdies for me (there are just a few others that I might get lucky with putts in the 50-80 range or great tee shots).

The signage is the best I've ever seen, including up and down triangles to indicate just how much elevation change there is on any hole (not that it makes disc selection any easier, as I reached a 300 footer with a putter downhill and my max is 210 with a putter).

It does favor a lefty, as one reviewer mentioned, so that is perhaps why I fared well and didn't blow up completely.

It was a humbling experience, but courses like this are exactly what disc golf was meant to be with the modern technology, and if the PDGA ever had rotating US Opens or PDGA Championships, this course should be in the rotation and host both events in every 5 year period.

Cons: Holes 16 and 17 are virtually identical.

It's more ideal to go to the second entrance parking lot and start on hole 2 so that you have the massive downhill 1st as a finishing hole (it's a quibble, but that hole does sort of have the parking lot in play).

The signage indicating how to get from hole 3 to hole 4 is awful and I lost nearly a half hour climbing a slope that took me up toward 11 and 12. That needs to be fixed pronto.

I've heard from others that mosquitos are a problem, but I was there late in the summer and there were none. We have a lot where I'm from, so I doubt it would bother me.

Other Thoughts: I am an exceptionally fit guy in my mid 50s with a good game and can still easily play 2 rounds in one day anywhere. I played 2 in one day here and it nearly killed me (just kidding, though I had to take 3 full days off and was aching pretty badly).

It's simply one of the greatest parks I've ever seen and absolutely the best course I've ever played.

I'd love to see a tour event here.

wow

5+    1/4/2015   1/26/2015
Review By: pchitti
Pros: Wow, having played a good amount of courses that are great, I can say this is honestly one the the best courses I have played. Bring you game not just an arm. This course will decimate you if you try to lumberjack your way through the holes. Stay on line and you will have a great time!
Cons: Dirt tees, difficult to navigate during your first couple of rounds. Did I mention dirt tees? I guess I'm a DG snob, but permanent improved pads make a world of difference.
Other Thoughts: If this course had accurate signage, help navigating for first timers, and CONCRETE tees I would say it is an easy 4.5-5. Just tees would give it 4.5. Sadly the city has very little interest in doing much, all work is done by the Omaha Metro DG club. Even with its current cons, this is absolutely a must play!

Is this really in Omaha?

1    12/1/2014   12/15/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +Insane elevation. On many holes. Even the flattest ones featured some kind of elevation. The signs also tell you how much elevation change there is on each hole which is very helpful.
+Great signage. Of course they have the problem of not showing what pin location is in but most courses do.
+Baskets are nice enough. Some are graffiti'd a little bit but not bad.
+Tight but very fair woods golf on most every hole on the course.
+Very high fun factor for me.
+Many holes were pretty long, like 5-600' wasn't uncommon. These holes weren't big flat open bombers either.
+Many fast greens and even fairways. Every shot had to be well thought or it might get out of control.
+Some fun OB if you use roads and parking lots as OB.
+For being in the largest city in NE, this course was very remote. I played in December but it was still 30+ degrees and snow free so it was a great day for disc and noone else was on the course.
+Huge varieties of holes. I was excited to see what was next. No two holes felt very similar and all were fun.
+Probably doesn't get too busy as it is pretty remote.
+Really easy to find just off the Interstate and a few miles straight north of the airport.
Cons: -This course is kind of hard to navigate. You sometimes criss-cross other holes or have to walk a bit to the next hole. It isn't always very intuitive because there are walking paths that aren't related to disc golf all over as well. The flow isn't great.
-You could lose a disc here. With all of the extreme elevation, a disc could end up where you can't find it or maybe even can't get to it. Discs can fly forever downhill.
-The tees are natural and are pretty lumpy. If they were improved on, this course would jump up to a 4.5 and be in my top 10.
-Some vandalism, trash, graffiti. Not horrible but it's always nice to not have any of that.
-Not many amenities that are easily accessible on most of the course. The course is in a nature area so it is pretty bare bones.
-If you aren't fit, be careful here. Some holes have elevation changes of around 100'.
-There will be some erosion issues here if it gets a lot of use. Some holes have preventative structures but many don't.
Other Thoughts: +This is by far the best course in the city and one of the best in Nebraska for sure.
+Well worth a stop. I was pleasantly surprised at the crazy elevation and amount of trees. The cons that others talk about didn't seem nearly as bad as they said they were.
+This course might be best played early or late in the season to avoid issues that others have talked about.

Physically challenging...and I loved it.

2-4    10/19/2014   10/22/2014
Review By: ihandlesnakes
Pros: 1. If you like elevation changes, this course will fulfill your dreams.
2. If you like trees, you will find plenty to challenge you.
3. If you want a nice workout, you will find one here. I played it twice and was beat after the second round.
4. If you don't like heat on a hot day, this course shouldn't be too bad due to all holes having tall, mature trees in play.
5. The easiest hole on this course is probably as hard as the hardest hole on most courses.
Cons: 1. Course is incomplete as far as signs go. The signs they have are good.
2. The flow from holes 3 - 4 and 10 - 11 can be confusing. See below for details.
3. Hole 1 throws down a set of steps that you will want to make sure nobody is coming up or going down before you throw. There isn't any warning for walkers to be aware of discs.
4. I would be careful if it has rained recently. Holes 5 and 7 could be under water and I am sure footing would be difficult due to the steepness of some of the fairways and paths between holes.
Other Thoughts: First, getting there. I had never been to the park. I ended up parking near the basket for hole 1. So, I walked to the tee pad which was up the hill. There were steps but it was still a long way to go before I even started. So, upon entering the park, take the road that has the automatic gate. That will take you to the shelter near hole 1.
I really liked the elevation changes and having to find lines through the trees. The distances were a bit long for my old arm but I only had one hole (18) that I felt I couldn't reach in two. Unfortunately for me, I took a six on hole 2 both rounds due to terrible second throws and seemed to enjoy trees on a lot of the holes.
Find holes 4 and 10. After throwing hole 3, go down the path to the road, walk to the right along the road and take the path along the creek. The tee is 300 feet or so down the path. After hole 10, face the road and the path you need it about 7 or 8 o'clock. I spent about 45 minutes my first round looking for these two holes.
At this time this is one of my favorite courses. It may never be a five because some of the things that would make it a five also create problems. The elevation changes and the two baskets near the creek.
I recommend you play this at least once, if your health and fitness level are overall good. It is VERY challenging physically.

Challenging

2-4    8/2/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: bstar1992
Pros: This course has it all hard backhand/sidearm holes this isnt a course to play for people who just like to bomb the disc this is a very technical/ ver unforgiving course.The course starts out giving you a 600ft down hill hole it has a 91 ft elevation change from the top to the hole location. this isnt a hole where you can just rip it either more like threading a needle from 50 yards out witha shotgun. the terrain is very difficult to navigate whcih in my opinion is what makes this course just awesome because one minute your throwing a relativley clear cut straight shot hole to a omg thats the basket, the course is very fun
Cons: the layout of the course makes sense but is NOT clearly marked after hole three their is a road you need to go down the road and to the nature center , they have maps which are helpful but only because they show where the holes are generally but not the correct numbers. also if you are new to discing i strongly suggest you take someone who really knows what to look for because a few tees dont look like they are their but a seasoned discer can pick out a tee.
Other Thoughts: suggestion: bring water/ make sure you have a seasoned discer or a person who has played the course before. not a course where you want to bring heavy objects or carry alot , wear boots and long socks. bring bug spray lost of mosquitos.

if this Course was maintained properly this would be up their with the best of them "like Flip city, luddington's beast beauty and goliath, silver mountain" definitley will test your skill

Where to start... with a review

5+    7/18/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: ZMesenbrink
Pros: Technical course for those that have honed their skills, and are up for a good challenge.
Pads, baskets, some trash cans (though not too many) and it's a beautiful course. Great for a hike through the hills.
Cons: Bring a chainsaw. This course isn't full finished. The people that designed this course feel like everyone is at their level and put baskets realllllly far away. The pars don't seem to be accurate sometimes like when they move to the far placements. You might need bug spray and hiking boots. I usually play this course and about halfway through I'm thinking "I hate this course, why did I come here?"
One just needs to play the course enough to know the lines, discs, and throws needed to work well. It's a very challenging course. Also, if you don't know the course bring someone that does, or walk far enough into the forest and you will find the next pad.
Other Thoughts: I will always play Hummel. Don't think from my review that I won't. It's like a drill sergeant. Throw off the fairway or don't think about the disc you're using, or throw you're attempting and you will need to drop and give Hummel 20, more throws that is over par. Ha!

< Prev 1 2 3