Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #1 (Taken 5/2011)

Solid Everyday Course

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The Scrapyard may be the best everyday course in Charlotte. By that I don't mean it's the best course, or that I would play it everyday. I mean if I was local to the area, it is the one I could play several times a week. Courses like Renaissance may be better but they are more like a treat. A once-in-a-while reward. (And part of that reward is complete exhaustion.) The Scrapyard is the course I want to play regularly.

This is just a solid, solid course. Tight lines down wooded fairways. Narrow but fair lines. The trees line the fairways here and they tend not to pop up in the middle. It's technical golf in the Carolina woods, as it should be. Hit the line: score well. Miss, even slightly and you'll feel it on your scorecard.

It's long for a course that is almost entirely woods, but it's not too long. There are for par-fours, ranging from 400-500 feet, but nothing longer than that. Half the holes are under 300 feet, though only one is less than 250. It's a good length to emphasize the technical nature of the setting and while it skips too-short, wasted holes, it doesn't have the drag-you-down-and-spit-you-out holes either. (Not that I don't like that type of hole, but sometimes I'd like a quicker round.)

Tee Scrapyard also has great flow, with intuitive transitions and short walks between holes. That last part is key if this is going to be an every day course. I don't mind walking a ways tofind great holes, but a course that sports solid hole after solid hole, with minimal walk in-between(and thus shorter play times) is just a treasure.

It's even got water. There is a small pond that is carried twice. 8 is the short, easy carry, which is a lot of fun. It's an easy shot on its face, but water always complicates things. The second, tougher and more interesting throw is 9. It's 289 feet to the basket but with the shape of the water, you can throw less and make it across. The best part is the knee-high fence that lines the edge, eliminating the frustrating experience of making the carry, only to watch the disc roll into the water.

Really, it's just a solid, playable design featuring hole after hole of places where "I want to throw a disc down that fairway." I'd more than recommend it to fellow visitors to Charlotte and if I was local, I think this would be the course I played the most.
Cons: While it's a solid course, it's not a spectacular one. There aren't any signature holes really. I liked all 18 but I didn't love any. There are no holes that I'm going to remember, whereas most of the big Charlotte courses have at least one. Even the water holes aren't particularly notable water holed. It's a solid day of disc golf at the Scrapyard but it's not really an experience, if you will.

What else might I have wanted? A little more elevation maybe. It's relatively flat. It's technical enough without it, but it would be nice. Perhaps slightly bigger tee pads for some of the throws required.

I could also see the conditions being not great in the summer. It's pretty out there in the woods and that pond has to breed some insects. And judging by the insane amount of fallen leaves, I'm guessing the foliage gets pretty dense. I saw perfect conditions in the autumn.
Other Thoughts: If you're local and not playing this course already, you are already doing something wrong. If you're a visitor, I can't promise a life-changing experience here. But if you want a solid course that plays a little quicker in between rounds at some of the destination courses in the area, you won't do better than the Scrapyard.

1    9/5/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: Donnie F
Pros: This course has to be one of the best that Charlotte has to offer. Very well designed for the technical player. Has a variety of different shots and a great mix of distance's to the pin. The 2 water holes are awesome. If you follow the orange dots and the arrows it will easily allow for course navigation.
Cons: The only thing I found that I didn't like was that I had to walk back up 14's fairway to get to the tee on 15.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course to anyone that finds time for a stop in the Charlotte area

Technical and frustrating - fits right into Charlotte!

2-4    9/1/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Fairly challenging without getting repetitive
+ Variable distances and fairway shapes
+ Simple, easy to follow layout
+ Divided into two 9-hole loops
+ Good quality tee pads, signs, and baskets
+ Par levels appropriate
+ Water holes were cool and challenging
+ Mild elevation changes (sometimes deceiving)
+ Multiple tees where appropriate
+ Almost completely in the woods (good for hot Charlotte days)
+ Facilities (bathrooms, drinking fountain, other activities)
+ Practice basket
+ Nice area of town
+ Easy parking
Cons: - Rough is rough
- Not to mention the spider webs... blargh!
- Fairways/basket placement weren't always easy to predict even with good tee signs (just look ahead)
- Little bit of poison ivy
- Only one hole sucked... Maybe... And could be fixed by chopping a few trees down (read on)
Other Thoughts: For two intermediate throwers, The Scrapyard was definitely fun and right up our alley. We both threw four over on our first round here, and we were competing with each other pretty heavily staying close to par for most of both rounds. Our wives had a much more difficult time on the front 9, mostly getting frustrated because of the tight fairways and unforgiving rough. They called it quits after skipping the water holes and met back up with us at the same spot an hour and a half later (halfway through our second round). Their loss! Giving them a little credit, I have to say that the rough really upped the challenge for all of us. In reality, though, the rough is probably less rough than other CLT courses. At least there weren't any really wet spots, pits/ravines, huge hillsides, or a ton of thorny bushes. Just thousands of small trees to ruin your get-out-of-trouble shots.

Perhaps 17 out of 18 holes had clearly defined lines and fairways to hit, sometimes multiple. Miss those lines and you'll resent and enjoy the satisfying frustration of Charlotte disc golf. Locals are used to it, I'm sure. Anyway, most of the fairways are fairly tight requiring balancing distance and accuracy with control of the right disc. I think the longest hole, at 500', was also the most technically challenging. The slight left to right zigzag made it very fun. On the other hand, the one hole that I didn't feel had a clearly defined line to hit, bugged me quite a bit (#16). It really only needs a couple trees cut down (maybe as few as 5) to make it a fair hole. Actually, I'm probably just annoyed because that was the hole that ruined my win! Either way, take a look and judge for yourself.

Well, there really aren't many negatives for The Scrapyard (and the ones I identified aren't major whatsoever). It wasn't super challenging, exceptionally beautiful, or exhibit a ton of diversity, but it played very smoothly and didn't get repetitive. I really appreciated the water shots as well as the 9-hole looped layout. The varying technical difficulty of the course helped make it enjoyable and fit right in with the rest of Charlotte. All that said, the course slightly shines in this city of amazing disc golf. Overall, I rank The Scrapyard at the same level of enjoyment as Reedy Creek, a Very Good 3.5 out of 5.

Thanks for reading!

This is Charlotte Disc Golf

1    7/23/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: As one of the few courses in Charlotte that I had yet to play I was very excited to finally check Scrapyard off the list. This is not the largest park by any means but they certainly made a large and great course in the woods here. This is the only course I can think of in Charlotte where you are forced to throw over water. you do have some bail out options (lay up to the short tee) but you still have to throw over some water. the fairways for most of these holes are extremely fair. and are not punishing of good shots. Now if you miss the line you will pay the price, but thats alright by me. I think it has a nice variation of LH and RH shots, many holes are equally tough for either. My absolute favorite thing about this course is the isolation. you dont have anything else going on where the DG course is and you feel like Disc Golf is the main attraction. I have played a few other courses in Charlotte where you have to watch for kids or pedestrians or even cars, not here you dont.
There were not a bunch of gimmicky greens either. most were protected but not overly punishing for a good putt.(except for 9)
Cons: Not a whole lot of Cons. I am one who enjoys elevation changes, there was not much of this. Also, it is nice to be able to air out a drive a couple of times per rd. This course limits that due to tightness and turns.
Other Thoughts: This is a great example of Charlotte Disc Golf and the style of DG we play in the South. hit your lines and make the placement shot and you will be rewarded. Get greedy and try to drive the green, you will be punished. Anyone who is coming here should bring a couple throwaway discs for the water carries. I did not and chose to lay up on the first one when I really wanted to go for it. All in all, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Charlotte, you will not be disappointed.

First CLT course played - did not disappoint

1    7/5/2013   7/6/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: Started traveling to Charlotte for work - have looked forward to playing the area for some time.
- fairly convenient, 5 minutes from the interstate
- good signage. The tee signs show all pertinent info. There are decent "too next hole" arrows when the next teepad isn't obvious. (I did have the benefit of playing with someone who had played the course before).
- the layout is challenging and fun. Good mix of "longer" and short, left and right, a few slight elevation changes. Water shots - more on that later.
- yellow banded baskets were easy to see.
- benches at most holes. Garbage bags at most holes. Restrooms by teepad 1. Lots of parking.
Cons: - there are a lot of trails winding through the course - it was well marked, but there were a few transitions that were a little confusing.
- played after some rain, and course was kind of "washed-out". It was a little soft in some places.
- this course is tight - I woul not bring someone here to introduce them to the sport.... For an intermediate player, this is not a con.
- the pond was super high (probably due to rain). Probably made 9 a little tougher then it typically is.
Other Thoughts: This was my first Charlotte course, and I was not disappointed! I was joined by a cool local on #2 and he was my guide. I consider myself an intermediate player. Shot 3 birdies, and more bogeys. I think this would be a fun course to play on a regular basis and look forward to playing it again. Lost a throwaway disc on 9 - probably one of the toughest holes I've played. I tried to hit the gap - I'm sure you could lay-up by trying to miss trees short. With regards to fairways being "fair" - for the most part, the longer holes have wider fairways. Some are pretty tight. Very technical. Want to leave mysel some room for higher ratings for some of the other CLT courses. Reminds me of a cross between Buckhorn and Leigh Farms up in the triangle. Great course. It's definitely worth a stop.

Love it!

5+    4/1/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: MacMan
Pros: Really fun course. Well designed, using the available land. Technical woods course, "not too hard, not too easy" shaped holes. Fairways are "fair". No hidden trees/ impossible shots. Love holes 8 & 9- great risk/ reward. Nice tee pads. Short concrete with back fill framed around them, plays like larger tee pads. Balance of straight, left and right turns. Good tee signs. Practice basket by hole 1. Bath rooms by holes 1 & 18. Best shaded course I've played, really notice it in the summer.
Cons: Trippers/ tree stumps. Lots have been removed, still lots out there. Water in the lake is down. Was told there is a leak and doubt that the parks dept will fix it any time soon.
Other Thoughts: Really love playing this course. Not too hard, but not easy. The par 4s require placement shots off the tee, not just throw it as far as you can, throw it again... Love the design of this course.

legit

5+    3/1/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: onetimeme
Pros: You win or you die on the water holes. Very diverse selection of shots.
Cons: You win or you die by the water hole. Also, that one par 3 with the impossible line is...well, impossible.
Other Thoughts: Good course for a casual day of disc golf that will hone your skills. Good test of mid rsnge shots. few up, few down, few left, few right. Average difficulty, given all the woods. Good place to check out. We're so spoiled here in Charlotte though I'd rather play nest and renny all day ;)

Fun Course Close to Home

2-4    4/1/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: HeavyEd
Pros: Love that such a high quality course is close to home (live in Morris Farms Area)
Beautiful layout; you dont feel like 3 holes playing the same field.
Playground nearby for the kiddies.
Cons: Litterbugs leave their trash everywhere.
Parks & Rec need to pick up and change out the bags hung on trees, replace them with cans at least.
Still a lot of roots and stumps. Make sure the kiddies step high.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. very technical with a few long shots in it. One of our favorites. Just wish people didn't leave such a mess.

1    3/12/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Another great wooded course in Charlotte.
Great tees and baskets, all in excellent shape.
Tee signs are professionally done and a great help. Distances seemed accurate.
I really enjoy the layout. The course is in the woods, but the fairways are FAIR, meaning there are no trick-trees smack in the middle of the fairways that take an otherwise great shot and make it terrible just by being in the perfect line. Sure, some fairways are tight, but all of them are more than fair.
A few of the holes are quite long, requiring good placement shots, which is one of my favorite design aspects.
Nice blend of shots. Some are slightly uphill, some slightly downhill(not a lot of elevation change here). Left- and right-turning holes, and even a couple water carries :)
Doesn't interfere with any other part of the park, feels almost private at times.
Navigation could be tricky if not for the spray paint, arrows, and other various markers that lead you in the right direction.
Trash bags for your litter.
Cons: The rain had come down the night before I played, and while it wasn't a substantial downpour, it was enough to affect the course. Essentially, the fairways were soaked, and to stay dry I had to AVOID the fairways, like the water found its way to the ideal lines...the tee pads were just fine for the most part.
The pond smells like....let's not go there. I hit a great shot on #9 over the water, but my hot pink ESP Buzzz slid ever so slowly into the abyss. Was maybe only a foot into the water, but never could see it or snag it with a stick. I was NOT about to dive into this water -- think of the Bog in "Labyrinth:...I hear someone fishes them out for a small fee, but it's been a week and no call. Not mad about it, just know that the visibility in the pond is 1 inch, and the smell if you touch it is permanent.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my new home, and I look forward to dominating all over it in the future. If not for the smell of the pond, I would put this at a 4, but I can't avoid it in my review, it's the one thing that will stick out to anyone who plays here for the first time. Hit me up if you need a guide or just someone to toss with!

Holy Transformation!!

5+    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 3/2/2013
Pros: Clean Airways!! This course has fair lanes to throw down. They may be tight but they are clean.

The Teepads are short but now with the backfill and framing you don't really notice it anymore.

Garbage bag on every hole and the teesigns look great.

There is lots of variety of shot shapes and placement shots from the tee.

Holes 8 and 9 use the lake well and provide for some crazy scoring seperation. Hole 8 really reminds me of 17 at Buckhorn, And the fence on 9 looks great!
Cons: Well even though it was impossible with the land provided there are no open holes. That is a tiny con for me.

Trippers, ATL Scott didn't get them all!

Hole 9, Yes it was in the pros and its in the cons. I have a love hate relationship with this hole. while i love the angle and the throw over the lake the green is almost too much imo. It is hard to land anything close or layup a putt even with a great shot.
Other Thoughts: Ok so if I had of reviewed this course after the CAC I would have given it a 3 or 3.5 but when I went back last weekend I was ammazed at how much it had changed since then. Rob Kelly and anyone else who was involved have really busted tail to get this course looking great and I commend them for that. Definatly worth a stop if you are nearbye!