Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #8 (Taken 5/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Welcome Shade on a Hot Day

1    6/10/2018   6/11/2018
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: GREAT tree canopy, for summer days in the 90s.
Makes you hit those lines - great practice if you're inconsistent like I am.
Really pretty multi-use park where other activities don't interfere with the disc golf course at all.
Challenging layout that still gives you the opportunity to score well.
Cons: Repetitive.
No grip and rip holes (NOT a con for me, but I put it here for information purposes. I LIKE being able to reach par 3s from the tee)
Need some bigger trash cans (many holes only had a trash bag hanging on a tree or post).
Other Thoughts: I finally played the Scrapyard this year, and I'm glad I did. I had a blast playing, and this may make my annual day of disc golf in Charlotte. I played the short tees, because I need to, and had a great time. The park is quiet, not crowded the day I was there. Still ran into a few groups playing - both let me play through, even though I was just as happy simply following them so I knew what line to hit. Proud of my birdie on 8.

Next time, I may try the long tee on 9 - that hole is TOUGH from the short pads, with the potential for rollaways. GREAT course, and I will definitely be playing here again.

One of Charlottes Better Courses

1    6/27/2017   6/27/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: - Very scenic. Most holes play through rolling hills full of tall, mature trees. Two water carry holes add to the scenery.

- Great variety between holes. The course does a good job of mixing left and right turning holes, using different types of elevation, varying hole lengths and pars, etc. You have long bombers, tight technical shots, and straight ace runs here. Everything from S curve Par 4's (#7), water carry shots (#8 & #9) to classic tunnel shots (#11 & 15).

- Great use of elevation. Very few holes are completely flat. There are many spots throughout the course where a minor slope really adds a lot to the hole. The bank on #9 makes the margin for error much smaller, and the downhill slope of #13's green makes an otherwise easy 250' shot require a little more strategy. Hole lengths are deceptive because many play longer or shorter than they suggest.

- Four par 4's. This puts it on the upper end of Par for courses in the area not named Nevin/Renny/Angry/Nest. Eastway longs feature 5, but IMO #3 is a par 3, so they're tied in my eyes. Both Eastway and Scrapyard feature more par 4's than RL, Winget, Reedy Creek, Kilborne etc., which is something I look for in a course. #7 and #17 are both really fun lines.

- Two water carry holes. Neither are long, both are under 300', so skilled players shouldn't have much of a risk of throwing in. #9 can be a little unforgiving in the summer though. There are few water carry holes in the Charlotte area, so it's a pretty distinctive feature. The views on 8 & 9 add some nice variety to what would otherwise be 18 holes through the woods.

- Minimal undergrowth on the sides of the fairway. This is one reason I score it higher than RL and Eastway. Both those courses have some incredibly bad spots when it comes to rough. #1-3 & #18 at RL, and #2, #3 & #13 at Eastway immediately come to mind. Every group round I've played at those two has us hunting for discs at some point, and that usually isn't the case at Scrapyard.
Cons: - Could stand to have a few more open holes for variety. Aside from the water holes, most of them are fairly tight & technical. They're good save for a couple filler holes, but there is a sense of repetitiveness to the terrain despite the holes varying length, elevation, direction etc. so well.

- No Par 5's or particularly strong signature holes are two of the reasons that keep it from being on the level of Angry Beaver / Renny Gold / Hornets Nest. It could also stand to have a bit more length if it were going to earn a higher rating from me.
Other Thoughts: If I could rate this 3.75, I'd probably go with that.

For me Scrapyard is a bit more fun and interesting than most Charlotte 18 hole courses. The only ones I rate higher are Renny Gold, Hornets Nest, Nevin and Angry Beaver. I enjoy Scrapyard more than Eastway, Kilborne, Renske, Sugaw, RL, Winget etc., but a little less than the top four.

This is definitely a destination course. There are courses I'd go to first if you were playing in the Charlotte area for the first time, but not many. This would probably be rated in the 4-4.25 range in most areas of the country.

I enjoy pairing it with the short & open Mint Hill to unwind after a pretty technical 18. Nice to rip a few ace runs after likely contending with a few trees.

Hiking/Disc Golf

1    6/24/2017   6/25/2017
Review By: Klingmeyer
Pros: Concrete tee pads, decent baskets, slight elevation changes, clear fairways, not much chance of losing a disc except the water holes.
Cons: Signage to next tee is there but could use an upgrade, long walks between some tee pads, water collects after heavy rain, quite a few roots.
Other Thoughts: This course was wet after the recent rain, but playable. The course seems to play longer on some holes than expected,neither good or bad. I didn't throw from the long tees on the water holes. I could probably make the distance, but wasn't willing to take the chance of an errant throw or wind. Losing $15.00+ isn't worth it to me. An interesting course with good basket placement requiring all your throws. It does feel like a hike through the woods with disc golf included.

Great CLT course

1    3/19/2017   3/21/2017
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Not too long, not too short. Requires all the shots.

Rewards accuracy more than distance. Remember that.

Water holes are not difficult, but they're water, which is a fun challenge.

Very wooded but well-defined fairways.
Cons: Tee pads are short, which in most cases isn't a problem but you definitely notice.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to get back after the trees leaf out. *Almost* worth the long drive down 485 from the north side. :)

The Scrapyard

5+    1/5/2016   1/9/2016
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 7/9/2018
Pros: The Scrapyard features mostly tighter fairways that require more finesse off the tee than your typical "Grip-and-Rip" courses. If you are an accurate thrower, you should be able to birdie any hole on this course. The course uses different angles to force you to pull out different shots off the tee if you want to finish under par. Especially if you decide to kick things up a notch and play from the longer tee pads (on holes 1, 8, 9, 10, and 17). The red tees feel like an appropriate challenge for beginners and the long tees will present a fun/appropriate round for everyone else.

The fairways for this course are carved out of a nice, peaceful forest - with four Par 4s and two water carries (which were pretty unique for Charlotte when this course was built), The Scrapyard manages to remain interesting during your playthrough. There is some new signage (for the 2018 Am Worlds) to help with navigation, that is really helpful, but navigation was never really a problem here to begin with.

The course is also being kept in great condition: the fairways are clear of roots and stumps, the underbrush off the fairways seems to have been beaten back, and there are plenty of benches and trash bags throughout the course. The concrete tees, tee signs, and baskets all seem to be in good condition as well.

It is nice to see the popularity of this course rise over the years, but it has never seemed very crowded to me. Fortunately, Idlewild Park, where it is located, has plenty of parking available. The Park also has a restroom facility and water fountains by Hole 1. If you only want to play 9 holes, or need to make a pitstop to the aforementioned restrooms/water fountains - there is a short trail that splits off from the transition from Hole 9 and 10, this traill will take you to the parking lot (it comes out behind Home Plate to the softball field),

There is a distinct lack of open holes on this course, and you will never really be required to tap down into your power for a big drive. Fortunately, you do get out from under the tree canopy in the middle of your round (thanks to Holes 8 & 9) to catch some sunlight.
Cons: When the water for Holes 8 & 9 has flooded, it can be intimidating to play, the margin for error becomes smaller. The little disc catching fence that was built for Hole 9's green could use with little bit of work. It is definitely still functional, but seems to be showing some signs of age as the chicken wire is starting to seperate from the wooden frame.

The short tee for Hole 9 also feels a bit uninspired, and I personally find it easier to lose discs from the short tee than the long tees because if your disc skips up off the embankment it usually sails further out into the lake than a hyzer line from the long tee.

While many of the holes have trash bags, I think it would both look and function a lot better if trash cans could be installed. The trash bags have a tendency to fill up, and if someone were to throw away some food, and animal would easily be able to tear into the trash bags and make a mess on this course.

It would be nice to see a couple more long tees on this course to really differentiate the differences in the two tee options. (However, this is not so much of a con, but more of an ideal situation.)

As much as I love this course, due to the repetitive nature of the environment that it is located, there aren't many "memorable holes". I don't feel like there are any inherently bad or fill holes, on this course, but if I invited someone from out of town to play this course once - a year later they would probably only really remember Holes 8 & 9, the water carries.
Other Thoughts: When I had heard that this course was being planned, I heard that it was going to be a partial course. So I was ecstatic when the course opened up as a Full 18. Which made it the closest course to my house that was a Full 18.

As I go through all of the course reviews I have done (I am trying to organize them better) I am torn on what grade to give this course. If I could, I would give it a 3.75 - it is in great shape, and the layout and design are both really enjoyable. But I am going to give it the nod because it manages to stay very technical throughout the course, while never managing to become as mentally taxing as similar style courses. Plus the water carries on a sunny day are a treat to play!

Favorite Holes: 5, 8, 9, 16

A walk through the woods

1    12/19/2015   12/19/2015
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: Beautiful woods envelope this course and make for a great golfing experience. You really feel "out in the woods" when you're playing.

Well worn in and clear fairways make the golf lines apparent and easy to read the first time playing.

The 'rough' is well beaten down and now overbearing when the inevitable happens. However, when you get off line here, it can be very punishing and add strokes to your score.

Mild elevation change keeps this course from feeling monotonous. No crazy uphill or downhill shots, but some light rolling hills help mix things up a bit

The lake shots (8&9) are fantastic! Both have easy alternate shots for those afraid of losing a disc, or those players with limited distance. A very nice option to have as some players cannot throw the required distance to make the necessary shots.

Adequate signage. The new tee signs are beautiful and add to the play-ability and appeal of this course. From time to time finding the next tee can be vague, but there are some older signs still hanging around that help direct, and the beaten path combined with some common sense kept me from getting lost.

The layout of this course is well though out, covering a great deal of the park, utilizing the pond, and keeping the walk from tee to tee short enough. Also important, hole 18 ends you right where the course begins! Great work

The park itself is in what seems to be a nice area of town. A nice change from the "sketchier" areas of town where some courses are located. I never thought or worried about my car being broken into, or random strangers/homeless walking about. Also, maybe related maybe not, there was very little trash on the course, and hardly any graffitti or the like. A nice change
Cons: Few cons here, but they did keep my rating from being higher.

The course isn't one of those "uses every shot in your bag" layouts. Although there was a great deal of accuracy required, there wasn't a whole ton of variation from hole to hole.
Not a major con when it comes to the fun factor as I still thoroughly enjoyed playing here, but in my mind keeps this from being a 4+ rated course

Although I listed it in the Pros section, I can also list it here. The signage, specifically leading from one basket to the next tee, could use some improvement. I never got lost, but there are several tees that are close to eachother, and a few that are a longer walk. At times it could be clearer where to go. But, like I mentioned in the Pros, some common sense and patience will keep you from getting lost here

Short (sometimes) tee pads. I'm not sure if all the tee pads are the same length and I only noticed it on some holes, but either way I found myself starting behind the pad to allow my run up enough room.
Other Thoughts: This course is a blast to play. With accuracy being the more important aspect here (instead of distance) this course really suits my playing style. Well placed shots will be rewarded, and pars should be easily attainable.

There are a handful of par 4's which break up the par 3 par 3 par 3 theme, and hole 8 and 9 are "memorable" holes.

If you're visiting the Charlotte area, I would add this to the list of courses to play. And if you're a local, don't hesitate to play a few rounds here!

Somebody Wrecked It. Literally. (Not Me)

1    8/30/2015   8/31/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Scrapyard has a lot of good aspects, with a good layout, a little elevation, a little water, and concrete tees and nice baskets throughout. There were a four par 4 holes, two on the front nine and two on the back (4, 7, 16, and17). The whole course is wooded, but many of the fairways are sufficiently cleared to see the basket, and have a good chance for a good drive. However, there are a couple of them that have narrow gaps and are tightly wooded, and a couple that have doglegs or sharp bends. Some but not all will dual tees, and some also have random chairs and benches. I liked the first hole, it was a kind of hard turn over shot for a RHBH, a little downhill and basket on the right with a 320 par 3. I played the long tees, and put my first shot about 40 feet from the basket. A good start that came to a screeching halt on hole 2, with me taking a double bogey after shanking my drive, and leaving a fairly easy approach shot short. I also made a bogey on hole 3. I was afraid this was going to turn into a long day, but the balance started to return, and I got one back with a birdie on hole 7. A group of four was ahead of me, and offered to let me play through, on a tough 500' par 4 with a dogleg right. One of the pleasant occasions I have executed a perfect drive, followed by a laser straight approach and banged out the 16 foot put, while people observe from the fairway. Sometimes that goes the other way, nice to be on the upside. Holes 8 and 9 are the water holes, and both were pretty fun. 8 is a bit downhill from the long tee, and coming out of several trees. I looked like the water was fairly low and only a short stretch of the fairway was across the water, still leaving plenty of landing room in front of the pin. My drive was turned over a bit to the right, but still was dry and close enough for a par. 9 was over water all the way from the long tee, and a way tougher margin for error. The basket is on a dam that creates the pond, with a steep drop behind the pin, and a slim berm in front. There is a small backstop fence along the edge of the water to catch a drive that lands in front of the pin and rolls back. I got the landing spot I was aiming for and had a 20' birdie putt, but it was about an inch short and hopped out off the front rim of the basket. 11 hit me for another double bogey, and an embarrassing display of incompetence. I also ended with a bogey on 18, and wound up with a 63 (5 over par). What I enjoyed about this course was the fairly obvious fairways, where if you can't see the basket on a long hole you still have a good idea where the fairway leads and the pin is going to be in the blind. There are also some nice, but very simple, straight forward and more accessible holes. The layout was pretty good with converging (nearly) 9's, and about having signs and markers between holes. The map link was good if you want to print a course map. There are trash bags,but some of them getting pretty full and one was dumped out on the first fairway. Other than that mostly pretty clean.
Cons: There were tees that were usually shorter than I would have liked. My run up was affected by this a couple of times. Sunshine (my girl/scorekeeper/spotter) and I were having a cigarette in the parking lot before driving home, and we heard loud squealing tires followed by a bang! A car had skidded off the road right in front of the park entrance. I looked like everyone was OK, but the car didn't fare well. It was going from one scrapyard to another I'm pretty sure. A fire truck was arriving just as we left, and police cars were not far behind that.
Other Thoughts: This isn't the toughest course, but isn't a boring one either. Besides the car wreck, and my typical day after concert weariness costing me strokes on a couple of holes, I really enjoyed my round at the Scrapyard. I played nearby Dry Creek the day before, and would recommend Scrapyard if you are choosing between the two, but the course ratings would slightly disagree. Both are very good but different, the shaded woodsy surroundings, water and elevation aspects make Idlewild park favorable to me. A sign posted at the park entrance claims that uniformed police and undercover officers patrol the park. Didn't spot any, but who knows?

The Scrap (Where I played like crap)

1    6/22/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I never made time to play this course and in the CAC, let's just say I paid for it. The course actually gave me a wedgie and I wore my underwear over my head at Dry Creek after my round here. This is a good course in a good park. If the baseball fields are empty, you can warm up in the fields. This course is all wooded so you must hit your line or you will shoot a +12 like I did.
-Well defined fairways on this course. Hole 15 is super narrow but the short distance makes up for it. Some can be hard to hit because the fairways are very diverse. You don't know what you will get but they are all fair.
-There is a practice basket on your way to hole 1 beside the parking lot in the woods. Walk up a little further and you will find hole 1. There are also amenities. Trash bags on almost every hole if not all, there are bathrooms beside hole 1 and benches on almost every hole.
-This isn't hard to navigate. Sure, there are a few fairly long transitions but there are next tee signs. Just follow the wider paths. For instance, the transition from 6 to 7 could be considered "difficult." So go down the WIDER path after hole 6.
-I love both of the water holes. My favorite hole was #8 but I think #9 is easily the signature hole. #8 from the short is a fun ace run with a nice water carry and from the long tee, it has that Buckhorn feeling to it. It's 300 feet from the long so you will need a good 280+ shot over the pond. #9 is a harder hole. You only play over the water from the long tee. It's a fun hyzer shot over the pond. It definitely requires a long driver throw from the long tee and there is a steep drop off near 20' down left of the basket. The short tee is just a righty flick in the woods.
-Good length variety on this course. There are a few holes <200' and there is one right at 500'. #7 is the longest hole at 500', it's the hole that requires the most accuracy. It's long and very tough.
-There is some elevation out here. Not very much but some. #4 is the hardest hole in my book. The drive is quite a bit uphill so the hole plays longer than 432' and the fairway does turn left but you still don't want to throw a driver. The woods are more difficult on this hole.
Cons: -Most of the holes are just good at the best. Only #8 and #9 were the really fun holes out here. I'm not saying those were the only two I liked but in 20 years from now, if someone were to ask me "Remember Idlewild Park?" I'd probably just say "Oh yeah, the Scrapyard."
-The water can get up pretty high. If you throw a disc in the water, you will really want to pay attention to wear it landed because if it landed more than 10 feet from the fairway, you won't see it. You will have to FEEL it. Don't get confused with a rock.
-Fairways are fair but that doesn't mean it would hurt to chop a few down. #12 needs a couple chopped down because the fairway is very odd. It would be good if a couple were chopped down too on #18.
-It's just too hard on rollers. Even some of the trees will cause rollers. The drop offs can be very unforgiving.
-Few filler holes here. #9 short is definitely disappointing. It's just a short ace run in the woods. If you play the shorts. I recommend you just play the long tee on this hole.
-The tee pads could be longer and a few are raised. I really don't like raised tee pads. Especially #10's. If you have a huge run up like I do, you will not be satisfied.
Other Thoughts: -This is a good course in South Charlotte. Worth the play if you live around Charlotte. If you are just visiting, I recommend you play something else because there are so many more courses in Charlotte that have lots of variety. You do get to play holes 8 and 9 though but they are the only stand outs here and they are both of the water holes. I think you will leave happy here if you play Idlewild but you may be disappointed if you really want variety. If that is what you want, play Dry Creek, or Angry Beaver. They got so much more variety than Idlewild. However, I do not recall any holes here that I disliked. None of them are actually bad like there are at most courses.
-I do wish I played this course sooner than I did, I just never made the time to play it. Definitely find time to play here if you live around Charlotte, you might really love it. I liked it but wanted a little more.

It's my home and I love it...

5+    2/8/2014   2/9/2014
Review By: prototypicalDave
This review was updated on 2/13/2014
Pros: In a nice park in a nice area of town

Water fountains and a place to put the water when you're done with it ( bathrooms ) right at the start and end of the course.

Nice hole shape variety and mild elevation.

It requires good shot placement and line shaping off the tee to score well.

Softball fields for warming up

Nice practice basket right by hole 1

Navigation is easy for the most part with only a few long transitions. 4->5, 16->17 standing out as 'long'.

Hole 18 finishes right near where hole 1 starts.

Multiple tees on holes 1, 8, 9, 10, 17 ( additional pads are being put in slowly but surely )

Pretty clean despite having no trashcans

Benches on holes 1, 2, 3, 5( sort of), 8, 9, 10, 13, 14 and 18

2 water holes! ( with caveats see cons )

Lots of exceptional holes 4, 7, 14, 16, 17, 18

Few, if any throwaway holes. ( I'm looking at you 15 )
Cons: Still some new course blues in the form of lots of little stumps in fairways and occasional punishing rough.

Some of the debris piles leftover from the build are rather close to fairways, leading to occasional 'dangerous' lies.

Can get muddy, but Charlotte is something like 10 inches above average for rain fall right now, so most courses around here are muddy in spots.

May eventually have erosion issues on holes notably 9 and 12, possibly 3 as well

Terrain is not roller friendly

For those that prefer open holes, you will be miserable. The only really open shot on the course is hole 9 and that doesn't count!( see below ).

Occasional locals walking their dogs the wrong way up the fairway. This has gotten better as time as passed. I've even convinced a few of them to try disc golf.

There's no real 9 hole loop. you can get to the parking lot for the course right after 9, but it's a bit of a walk back to the car if you park close to hole 1 ( waah ).

Shortish, raised teepads:
I know that this is a frequent complaint about this course, so I don't want to beat that particular horse much more but...
I have fallen off the end of them more times than I can count. It has had the effect of forcing me to think about footwork more and this is a good thing. I've learned to start my x-step from behind the pad, but this makes it really difficult to be consistent with it.
I think that this is almost an "artificial" difficulty that penalizes certain types of player. I can see the validity of arguments that claim that a really good player should be able to adjust, and those arguments are right.
My counter argument is that in my opinion, teepads are supposed to provide a consistent 'safe' surface from which to start the hole. They shouldn't be an obstacle to be overcome like a high basket or fast green. I don't think that this was the designers intention either.
That being said, there have been some efforts made to at least get most of them level with the surrounding ground.

Hole 9 long.
I've lost more discs trying to birdie this hole than I have birdied this hole. This is a 289 foot open shot across water. The water carry is about 90% of the distance to the fairway with the basket placed on the upper slope of a steep 20 foot hill that drops of behind the pond. The landing zone is about 5 feet wide, set on the top of a 5 foot embankment that rises sharply out of the water.
If you hit the landing zone, you will probably skip down into the ravine. If you overshoot, you are in the ravine. If you come up short, you will roll into the water.
A short fence was added to keep discs that hit the front of the embankment from rolling into the water.
This has the effect of making sure that if you are a little bit short, the fence will slap you down and you will be in the water.
There is also a good bit of erosion happening there.
That being said, I have witnessed Sara Hokom park it, so maybe it's me.
I don't skip it, I just overshoot it and putt pack up for a three. The only reason I feel so strongly about it is that it sticks out as weird on this course since the rest of it is so solid.
I've talked with the designer about it and he says that he has considered building the green up similar to Renny #3. I would love to help and I hope that it happens.

Other Thoughts: I see a LOT of new players here. And I see them keep coming back. This course is not Nevin hard, but it's not Reedy easy either.
I would put it somewhere behind Hornets Nest and above Shugaw in difficulty.
I think it says something about a course that this type of player keeps coming back for more, especially when there are other, easier options available to them in the immediate area.

Despite there not being a 9 hole loop, you can skip from 4 to 11 and then go from 12-3 and repeat. I do this when I'm short on time. I can repeat it and play til the last vestiges of sunshine are dying and hump it back to the parking lot in time to hopefully not annoy the park staff too much.

Despite my rants about teepads and Hole 9, I love this course. It's perfect for a semi-serious fat dude like me.
It's not so long that it becomes a death march by hole 10, and it's terrain is mild enough to be interesting without requiring that I have a sherpa guide.

It's challenging enough that I don't get bored playing it several times a week.
It's a great course to work on if you want to move past being an average skilled casual player:

Hole 4 has taught me more about control and placement than the entirety of Reedy Creek, Shugaw and Killborne put together.

Hole 7 has taught me what fairway drivers are for. It's the only hole I've ever played where I throw a Comet off the tee and a Valk on my second shot.

Hole 15 is just evil. I haven't learned it's lesson yet, but I have high hopes.

It's overall design language makes for a mean yet loving instructor whose primary lesson is that you don't need to rip every drive at %100.

It's difficulty is right in line with my abilities and athletic conditioning in that I can shoot really well here on a good day, and have the worst round of my life on a bad one. I love it and am grateful for all of the work that it took and takes for me to have it.

Good Track

1    1/19/2014   1/19/2014
Review By: mateobueno
Pros: Tee pads, well signed, great wooded technical holes. Plenty of benches.
Cons: Both water holes looked contrived (man made lake?). There was also one par 3 on the back which was extremely narrow, so both my father and I threw left and down into a prickly wooded area, and then back up the bank--we both easily made par (doubtful that would have been the case with the "head on" route), but it felt like a lot of trouble to go through just to get a 3! Trash bags tied to the benches, which is better than nothing, but one could envision some animal tearing into them at night and making a mess.

< Prev 1 2 3 4