2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Overall a relatively calm park course, nice signage and tee pads on the permanent holes (1,2,3,4,5,6,12,13,16,17, and 18). Benches on every hole that I can remember. Nice mix of wooded and open holes with some elevation change (the most notable of which I would say are on 12 and 16).
Cons: Dirt tee pads can get muddy and the hillside on hole 2 can become squishy after rain. The walks between 3-4 and 15-16 can be a bit long. Some players unfamiliar with the course will start on hole 3 causing some confusion.
Other Thoughts: When throwing hole 12 keep in mind the disc can skip a large amount at the bottom. Holes 5 through 13 can be cut off from wind on a calm or moderately windy day as opposed to the other holes.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 9 Not
Pros: Very challening course, long holes, short holes, wooded shots. Overal this is going to be a very good course in the future.
Cons: The only bad thing about this course is that it doesnt have all of its teepads in yet, we have the money just not the people to do it yet.
1 of 10 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Wide open spaces
Pros: The course plays through a sprawling multi-use park. There are a handful of holes in the wooded areas of the park that offer some fun technical shots. These are mostly shorter and have a good mix of left and right turning lines. There is some thick underbrush in spots to punish errant drives.
The rest of the course plays in open areas with scattered trees. There is plenty of length on these holes, offering several opportunities to open up and throw longer drives. It seems like the tees and pads are an ongoing process, the concrete pads that were in on a few holes were large and nicely textured, assuming the rest of the holes get that kind of treatment this is a big plus. The signs are in a similar state, mostly not finished, but a few great signs with hopefully more to come. There are next tee markers for several of the walks between holes, always a nice touch.
Cons: The course plays pretty wide open overall, and can feel a bit repetitive. I'm not a fan of tall prairie grass, and it comes into play on several of the open holes here, it adds more frustration than it does legitimate disc golf challenge. There are lots of long walks between holes that break up the flow of your round.
There are dual pin placements, but the current position isn't marked on the sign so you have to walk ahead to scout out the holes despite good signage. There are some spots where walking paths and other park activities are in play, this could be a safety issue on a busy day.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course pretty long, though mostly it's not all that punitive for less accurate throwers. More experienced players might enjoy the chance to rip some long drives, but it doesn't really provide a great overall test of various disc golf skills.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 5 Not
Work in progress
Pros: Long course, with a few challenging holes.
Cons: Only real challenge is the distance. Most holes are just long empty fields with a basket at the end. Only a few actually have obstacles to think about. Also there is a long walk between holes 3 to 4 and 15 to 16. As for the water hazard its barely a hazard. The river is directly in front of the tee pad so it isn't much of a challenge.
Other Thoughts: Other park users don't respect the course and continually walk out in front of golfers. This course is a work in progress so maybe in five years it might be comparable to something like Crystal Lake Park.
2 of 7 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: Nice tees and signs
Good mix of field shot wooded shots and everything in between
Wood chips fairways in the woods
Cons: Can get a little confusing in some parts
No benches or garbage cans
Other Thoughts: Minor improvements can make this course one of the best
If all the tee signs were like they are on hole 1 that would be killer good
1 of 5 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: Variety of holes: open, enclosed, water hazard. Easy to follow course with opportunities for breaks. Bathrooms located between holes 1 & 2 (porta potty) and also between 3 & 4 (indoor pavilion, when unlocked). Varying ages and levels of players for handicapped leagues.
Cons: High traffic after 4pm, as said above. Can get soggy on holes 1, 2 and 17 after heavy rain.
Other Thoughts: Excited to have this nice 18 hole course in West Bend!!
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 4 Not
Awesome now with full 18
Pros: Good variety of short and long holes, water hazard shots and obstacles. Very easy to find next holes and great scenery.
Cons: Can be really busy after 4pm as the High School is nearby. Still need full signs & concrete pads.
Other Thoughts: Great full design of course. Great variety of long distance and challenging shots. Most end up around 350. Some are shorter with lots of trees and some are 400-475 which can be a challenge to beginners. Overall very fun and great variety. Please pick up your trash !!
3 of 7 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 13 Not
Pros: Long challenging holes that have wind, elevation change and water hazards. With a back area that has more wooded and narrow fairways.
Cons: Needs concrete teepads on all holes. The Club is raising funds to develop the teepads. in time.
1 of 14 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 1 Not
Update: 11/22/12. Getting Better!
Pros: Lots of recent changes to this course make it very fun!! Here is what disc golfers in West Bend now have available to them:
18 holes located throughout a very nice park. The holes are sprawled out throughout the park to use lots of varieties of terrain. The course designers here did not limit themselves to holes that owuld yield the best flow, rather they made sure the disc golf here was enjoyable.
*Great variety of distance among the holes from the long tees. Bring your drivers and stretch your arm!
*Fun obstacles on about half of the holes
*Throw across the MIlwaukee River!
*Good mixture of wooded holes and open holes
*For the holes that have concrete teepads anbd signs, they look great!
Cons: *This course is still a work in progress. Only about half of the holes have concrete teepads, so as these get installed, I expect this courses rating will climb even higher (especially if they install concrete teepads from the short positions).
*A lot of the holes were fairly open, and from the short tees, these would probably be pretty boring
*There appeared to be multiple pin placements, and on a few of the tees the signs don't indicate where the pin is currently located. Hole 4 was not where it was listed on the sign, so if you are new here watch out for things like that before you throw!
Other Thoughts: I will visit this course whenever I am in West Bend. I gave this course a rather low rating last year, but the designers and the City of West Bend have done a great job helping it grow since then.
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
9 Helpful / 2 Not
Course is nearly complete.
Pros: 1) Signs on each tee listing distance! The new tee signs are incredible looking and huge which is much appreciated. I sure hope that doesn't make them a target for vandalism.
2) Long course which will challenge your long distance throws more often than not. The newer 9 holes that just were completed are shorter overall and more technical.
3) There are dual tees on most holes, concrete has been completed on a handful of holes, but I can't wait to get back when the concrete has been completed so I can give my drives 100%.
4) Mach 3 baskets are in decent condition . . . I assume these came from Villa Park.
5) Water in play on this course . . . Advanced level players won't find the water challenging, but it still is fun to know you have to throw over and along water.
6) A couple of long turnovers, a chance to throw a roller or two, a big hyzer, a few tight tunnels, and a couple open holes . . .A very diverse propert with a great mix of holes.
7) This course is fairly beginner friendly because even though there is water on the course, it is hardly in play. The short tee option is always appreciated, allowing families and kids to still play this course despite being very suitable for Advanced level players.
Cons: 1) Grass/dirt tees are always a negative, but I am pretty sure these tees will be concrete sometime soon. The few that are in are large and trapezoidal concrete and much appreciated.
2) It looks like they tried to keep baskets and throwing lines away from the walking paths, but being a new course and probably a busy park, I am sure a lot of people will wonder what is going on here. I am unsure if the path runnning through the woods gets used, but it will be dangerous if it is because from the tee on #13 the path is virtually blind, and vice versa.
3) The natural beauty of this course lacks in a few spots, some of this might be due to the new 9 being pretty new. The prairie has been mowed down, but not really levelled or graded, the trees in the prairie have suckers and underbrush growing up around them because the mower cannot get that close, the newer holes are very compacted or gravelly creating really bare soils with minimal turf. I have a feeling some of these issues might disappear overtime, but it is also quite possible that this course will get beat down quickly due to the heavy traffic and the thin turf in the prairies and the gravelling holes. This course already looks like it has seen years of traffic.
4) Some of the prairie holes feel a little contrived, meaning they just do not feel natural. I don't have a solution for how to fix this, perhaps it will just happen over time when the holes take their completed shape.
5) Garbage cans and tee signs are not complete yet.
Other Thoughts: All 18 holes are in at this point and the course has jumped from 2.5 discs to 3, and when the concrete is completed, the signs are all in, and the underbrush has been beaten down i could see this course rising another 1/2 disc to 3.5.
9 of 11 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.