Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: johnrhouck Hole #4 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #4 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pairs well with a nice red

1    11/13/2018   11/29/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: Selah Ranch is a beautiful place to play disc golf. They have truly dedicated some of their sprawling landscape of forest, hills, and water to the sport. John Houck seems to have given his best effort in designing this course.

Hole 1 is a stunner, throwing from a raised dirt road across a shallow valley to the tee on the other side. It's a much better starting hole than Lakeside, which I do think is the better course overall. But creekside doesn't disappoint. There interplay with the creek is well done, creating some great risk reward, fairway/green shaping (Hole 10 stands out as one of the most challenging but most memorable).

This course, like its partner, is loooong. The cart makes it so much fun though. I've never played with a cart before, but those lil red things, despite their seemingly sluggish top speed, adds a real sense of luxury this sport otherwise lacks.
Cons: It doesn't finish as well as the rest of the course plays. The last few holes play along the small lakes/ponds, but it's not the same. Any other course it would be fine, but here it feels just anti-climactic.

It is long. Even with the cart.

It can be terribly muddy. Standing water on the fairways. The carts can handle it, but you're still going to get wet.

Obviously I'm really reaching here.
Other Thoughts: Selah is a beautiful, but expensive. Greens fees, cart fees (optional but you won't regret it afterwards), and lost disc replacement. If you can play both courses without losing a disc, congrats you're a pro. If you're a mere mortal like me, be ready to say goodbye to your friends. (this could go in the cons as well)

The hospitality out here is superb as well. They called me to give me weather updates and were totally ok with me moving my visit back a day till after the rain blew through, and luckily it still fit into my road trip.

There are a couple other great courses south of here at Trey Ranch, and in the DFW area. As a native Houstonian, and current resident of south Louisiana, I don't understand what Dallas did to deserve such great disc golf but I'm a little jealous.

Birthday Trip

1    3/24/2018   3/26/2018
Review By: MadGame32
This review was updated on 3/29/2018
Pros: -Great tee boxes
-Great tee signs
-Scorecards with map
-Good mix of long and short holes
-Golf carts
-Painted reference points at 200 and 300 ft from goals
-Well maintained course
-Ranch has a diver that collects discs from water and the pro shop will hold them for you to pick up
-Very few mandos in play because it was well designed.
-Pro shop on site
-Very friendly staff
Cons: -Costs for play and golf cart
-There is some water in play that will eat disks
-Closest place for lunch is 8 miles away

Other Thoughts: This was the less difficult of the two courses at the ranch, but it is by no means a pushover. The golf carts are a definite must due to the terrain and length of the course. The longer holes are not just bomber holes. They required proper placement to get through the hole. Holes 3, 4, 5, 16, 17 and 18 really bring the water into play. It was not as hard as Lakeside, but still definitely challenging. Hole 18 is awesome and tough.

I was torn on how to rate this course. It was the first time I have ever paid a significant amount to play disc golf. At $20 to play and $40 for a cart, I just don't think the value is here other than to say you played one of the highest rated courses in the world. I have played courses that were just as well maintained that I enjoyed just as much as this one. I think a few steps could be taken to really ratchet up the allure of this venue. First, I would suggest putting water coolers in every few holes where people can grab some water. Second, I would recommend offering a sack lunch (for a fair fee) that could either be delivered to golfers on the course, or made available at the Inn or pro shop. This would let golfers play more and increase the value to playing at this pay for play facility.

I would definitely recommend playing this one and its sister course on site if you get the chance, but, while it is very good, there is not really anything going on here right now that is "next level."

Excellent GOLD course (3rd of the 4)

1    3/2/2018   3/5/2018
Review By: Gropester
Pros: Excellent GOLD level course with a good variety of shots and use of water. From blues it was a very long round, but I can't say I found any of the holes boring. A mix of open shots on the front snaking through the woods and a creek in the middle, and across the lake on the back.
- Solid tee pads and signage for both blue/red positions, Discatcher baskets gobbled up putts and were easily visible.
- Easy to navigate with the provided scorecard maps
Cons: Amenities were lacking
- No benches, and remember these are LONG courses
- Not much elevation change
- *Some* of the staff extremely rude (most were nice)
- Poor course flow as walk distance from hole to hole was really long
Other Thoughts: When we played the course was in poor condition due to rain, which made two 9,000 ft rounds extra grueling as carts were not allowed. From strictly course layout I'd rate this 4/5, but with the lack of amenities there are many courses that do more than Selah. Of the 4 Trey/Selah courses we thought this was 3rd best to Trey Deuce.

Another Fantastic Course

1    11/29/2017   12/28/2017
Review By: markmcc
Pros: The Selah Ranch Disc Golf courses are amazing. From check-in at the Pro Shop to the final hole, this complex demonstrates how good pay-to-play can be.

Start with the course infrastructure, which is top of the line. Two excellent ( and very different) concrete tee pads for each hole. Both have excellent Houck signs with detailed hole diagrams, lines to the basket, distances, par, etc. Innova DISCatcher baskets show up well and catch great. Obvious paths from hole to hole make navigation a breeze as you cruise along in your golf cart.

The provided scorecards include an excellent overall course map, and hole distances and pars for both tees at each hole.

There is a tremendous variation in hole lengths from 164' out to 930'. How is that for a range? The course includes everything from short and technical wooded holes to more open bombers True par 4 and 5 holes require actual planning and placement. Simply throwing as hard as you can doesn't work here.

There are eight Par 3, seven Par 4, and three Par 5 holes. Having a course with this many quality longer holes holes is special.

As with Lakeside, the playability of the course for an 850 rated player like myself with a 300' max drive stood out. I chose to play the red tees for my first time out, and thoroughly enjoyed all 18. They were good fits for me and I enjoyed the fact that birdies were possible. Even the red tees don't result in a short course, as you'll play 6545' from the reds and 9176' from the blues.

The course features lake and creek holes, and a variety of moderately to tightly wooded holes. Overall I felt that the course was more open than Lakeside, but just as varied. The variety in terms of hole distance, par, and amount of woods is well distributed throughout the course.

While the course lacks a signature island hole like Hole 7 on Lakeside, I felt like there was actually more water in play here. The finishing hole has a relatively tame red tee position, but the long tee is a real tester. After finishing my round from the reds I decided to test my mettle from the blue. After donating two discs to the course I decided to pack it up. Good to know to lay-up next time!

I played all four P2P courses in the area in a 24 hour period. I gave Creekside a 4.5 because I didn't like it "quite" as much as Lakeside. I look forward to returning and playing them in a different order. This could as easily be a 5.0 for me as the 4.5 I'm giving it here.
Cons: Very tough for me to come up with cons. I found some of the holes a little more open than Lakeside, with holes like 4, 5 requiring mainly that you don't fade into the lake.

But that is picking nits. Overall this is a phenomenal course and complex.
Other Thoughts: As a premier P2P course I didn't find the $20 day fee to be out of line at all. Even the additional $20 for the cart seemed like money well spent. I wouldn't try to play both courses in a day without a cart.

I appreciated that I had my wife along as a driver/spotter and they didn't feel the need to charge her any fee at all. Some places are a little weird about a non-paying companion, but there was no issue at Selah.

Amazing experience

1    10/18/2017   10/20/2017
Review By: Bflinn
Pros: It was a beautiful October day, about 75 deg, little to no wind. I got there about 8am, and Dave met me at the pro shop. Very friendly and helpful man. I started on Creekside and played the long tees on every hole. I am a predominant RHBH thrower, and while there were shots that a forehand would have worked nicely, I didn't run across any shots I couldn't throw a turnover just as well. All of the tee signs were there, and it flowed fairly well. Several holes I forgot to look at the "next tee" arrows on the sign, but didn't have trouble finding my way. There are a few shots over the water. Only hole 18 didn't seem to have a good safe shot to avoid throwing over the water for those of us that can't reliably throw 330ft. The short tee would have been my better option on that hole. Dave came out in his SUV toward the end of my round to see how I was doing and if I needed anything. It was a beautiful property with a very nice Inn to stay at, and cabins/camping also. It is definitely a disc golf destination if you are anywhere near NE Texas
Other Thoughts: I opted not to rent a golf cart. If it's a hot day, or you tire easily, it's probably a good idea to get one. It's about a 7 mile hike to play both courses.

Cream of the crop

1    6/9/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: What a fun and challenging course, it really just challenges you in every way and just makes you push your game to the next level especially with all the times you throw over water. You can tell the course has been made by a professional because you need your hole bag
Cons: It's really expensive compared to most which a free. It is not at all beginner friendly.

Overrated

1    6/10/2017   9/11/2017
Review By: Tom Z
Pros:
** Well maintained.
** Owner and caretaker are very nice.
** Lodging on site, but a bit pricy
** Golf carts. More of a novelty. If I ever play it again (which I probably won't) I would opt not to use the cart.
** 2 courses on property which makes a day of it rather going somewhere else to play another round.
** Pro shop, but not much of one.
Cons:
** Not much elevation change.
** Sometimes long distances from basket to next T
** Very little risk/reward that required decision making (see other thoughts)
** Signage could be better. It was adequate but not up to a 5 star rating.
** Not much variety. A lot of open holes with few or no obstacles (trees, etc.)
** Personally, I found the course itself mostly ordinary.
** There is not much difference between Creekside and Lakeside. I wrote the same review for both.
** I've played about 75 courses in 14 states and would not rate this course in the top 10 of the 75 I've played.
** Risk/reward: If you are throwing across a lake and can throw that far then there is not much risk. If you can barely throw that far there is risk. If you can't throw that far it is pointless. There is not much decision making in that case. When putting toward a lake or stream that is 20 ft. past the basket, you have to decide how likely you are to make it from the distance you are putting. But what's the worst that can happen? You are putting for a birdie 2 and miss. Your shot rolls into the lake or stream. You take a penalty stroke and make an easy putt back for a bogie 4. So you could get a 2 (if you make it), a 3 if you miss and it doesn't go OB, or a 4. On the other hand if 20 ft. past the basket is a 60 ft. deep tree filled canyon, that missed putt could turn into a 6 or worse. Now the decision you make as to whether to go for it or lay up becomes very important.
** If you like a grip and rip course then this place may be for you. It offers some opportunities to shape shots around obstacles, but mostly it is just throw long.
** If, on the other hand, you like to walk up to the T-Box and analyze what type of shot is needed to get the lowest score (do you throw a hyzer, a forehand flick, a thumber, go straight at it, layup in the fairway for a high percentage approach shot, or any number of other options) then this course may not be for you.
** It is a good place to practice long drives without much regard to what direction the disc goes. But then so is a football field.

Selah setting the standard for decades to come

2-4    6/21/2017   7/15/2017
Review By: armiller
Pros:
-not sure where to start... BREATHTAKING DISC GOLF from start to finish
-a beautiful setting for a course, with changing terrain that lends itself to 18 fun and unique holes
-at least 7 unique water holes, not including the creek shots
-awesome hole diversity, with some more open big tree fairways, some tighter woods shots, use of the creek, and lots of long and short water holes
-from long tees, 16-18 are definitely among the coolest water holes I've played; 16 is a big boy water carry that I didn't quite make, 17 isn't particularly long but is still no gimme, and 18 is a great peninsula location that just screams "go for it, I dare you!"
-Use of space: there's plenty of it, and one of the most impressive things to me about Selah's courses (and especially Creekside) was the fact that NOT all the space was used. Fairways are not crammed all over the place, and that allowed Mr. Houck to work his magic, choosing the best spots for baskets/tees/fairways. Of all 36 holes onsite, no two felt repetitive to me. That space is also why it's best to pay extra for a cart.

Favorites:
1-3, 5, 7, 9-10, 12, 14, 16-18
Cons:
-there aren't enough hours in the day?
-plan to lose discs unless you plan to accept some extra strokes to lay up (note: it's probably worth looking through the used bin at the clubhouse for some extra water discs or some other deals; I still regret not picking up a 175g 7/10 no-name champ Teebird or a 174g 9/10 BigZ Roach, each for $5)
-would be really exhausting without the cart, especially if hitting up both courses
Other Thoughts: Selah is rightly viewed as a "Mecca" of disc golf. First of all, I was extremely impressed with how polished the whole property was. The two courses each had their own feel and were both every bit as cared for as a PGA tournament golf course. The "creekside" name was a bit misleading. 1-2 and 7-8 play through spacious terrain with mature trees. 3-5 wind around a pond, and 13 has another pond. Holes 6 and 14 are top-notch woods holes, and holes 9-10 are the real "creek" holes. 10 is one of the coolest par 5s I've ever played (and one of Creekside's signature holes) due to the final dogleg to a pseudo-peninsula made by the creek. Ultimately, 16-18 are the best disc golf grand finale I've ever encountered. So yes, there's a creek. But I was floored by the hole variety with mature tree fairways, pond shots, Houck's use of the creek on 10, some tighter woods holes, and then the breathtaking final water carries. For some reason, I didn't expect so many water shots on Creekside, but they were the main thing that grabbed me. We managed to finish our last round just before sunset, and both the water-lillied pond and final water holes were incredibly picturesque. (I was too busy enjoying it to waste time taking photos, but the photos on DGCR really don't do the course justice.)

One of the things I appreciate about John Houck's design here is that the short tees are quite reasonable for newer players. I've played a decent number of top level courses, but both Creekside and Lakeside are places I could bring family or newer players wanting to put their developing game to the test against a real opponent without being totally annihilated.

Notes on playing Selah:
-$20 might seem like a lot, but there's no question it's worth it.
-Dave was awesome. We initially reserved a tee time for a day later, but a tropical storm in the Gulf threatened to rain on our parade. We were able to play a day early and missed the rain, although we missed out on a few hours.
-Get a cart! Especially if playing with only two (or even three?), one cart helps save time getting around the property, and one player can easily manage the cart while the other makes their shots. I never thought I'd be one to enjoy a cart in disc golf, but Selah makes you want to maximize every minute of your day.
-Unless you're already close, it's best to stay in the area. Staying in or around Mt. Vernon for one night would make it easy to play the Trey Texas Ranch courses as well and the Selah duo.

Summary and Rating: It's really impossible for me to give either of Selah's courses less than a 5. Courses like this set a standard for premier disc golf courses of the future, and I can only hope that there will be more facilities of similar quality in decades to come. Thanks, Dave! Thanks, John! I'll be back.

My favorite course

2-4    6/27/2017   7/4/2017
Review By: eegor
Pros: Defined fairways in a "country club" style design. This is the closest thing the a "ball golf" designed course I've ever seen. Navigation isn't a issue due to the mowing (maintenance) by Dave (the owner) and his staff. Each shot requires thought and planning. No "get to it and throw" on this course. John Houck designed a masterpiece here. There's actually more water on this course than Lakeside (a con to many), but everything is fair and if you play within your game, you can score well here. Each shot is challenging in some way. Although it's mentally tough, it makes for a round to remember... for better or worse.
Cons: If you don't have a complete game or a little off of your game, this course will punish you like no other. The rough is rougher and the water OB is closer than just about anywhere else. I don't feel this is a con, but a pro... but there are a lot of disc golfers that get upset at losing discs and strokes because of the way this course is designed. I personally like it, but if you don't have control of your game... you won't really like it here.
Other Thoughts: GREAT setting and if you stay on the the ranch, GREAT hospitality. This is a disc golf destination for the aficionados of the game. Paired with Lakeside and the Trey Texas Ranch just 20 miles away, this is a disc golf getaway for every bucket list. For the very best in hospitality, stay on Selah Ranch. We stayed at the Corral House a few years back and it was great for 5 guys. Full kitchen with everything you'll need and very comfortable sleeping arrangements. If you want to save a few bucks, call Mom at Trey Texas Ranch and she'll set you up.

It's worth the trip. As you will see from all the reviews... this is the prevailing view.

My advise... save up and stay on Selah Ranch. Thank me later.

1    3/21/2017   3/29/2017
Review By: david W
This review was updated on 5/15/2017
Pros: This course is on a fantastic piece of property and has a good mix of shots. The long pads are a beast of a course and have some great shots and plenty of challenge.

The grassy fairways and large mature trees throughout the course really make it feel like a 1 of a kind track.
Cons: The tree in front of hole 1's long pad has got to go. It is dead center of where you need to throw your drive and completely ruins the tee shot.

Hole 10 is not a good hole. Lots of potential but is ruined with too may trees and no clear fairway. Cut a fairway and create a line that people can actually throw instead of playing poke and hope to the dogleg.

Hole 13 is not very good. Blind par 3 over water. Its basically a bailout short and right so your not in danger of going in the water. Not a great design.

This course desperately needs distance markers especially on some of the longer par 4's and 5's.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course okay but feel that it is currently overrated. Im not saying the course is bad but I think the fact that it shares the same property with a really good course boosts peoples perception of this track. I have played several 3.5-4.5 star courses that blow Creekside out of the water and was underwhelmed with a course that gets so many 4.5-5 star reviews.

Date: 5/11/2017 Designer Response by: johnrhouck
David, thanks for your review. When I first read your Cons, I thought "What course was this guy playing? That tree on #1 can't possible have grown that much." But when I got to Selah for PDGA Amateur World Doubles, I found you were absolutely right. I had no idea. Here's the before photo: https://www.facebook.com/3255...3&theater Here's how it looks today:https://www.facebook.com/3255...3&theater And this is about what it took, lookng back at the tee: https://www.facebook.com/3255...3&theater We have made major changes to #10 and #13 as well, plus major improvements to Lakeside #10 and #15. And needed improvements on almost every hole. Both courses now look 100% better. Sorry they weren't in better shape when you were there. If you could see the courses now, I think you'd know why so many reviewers give Selah five stars.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6