Marietta, GA
Oregon Park Share
Uploaded By: AtlDuke Hole #1 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 227ft.   3 / 265ft.   3 / 301ft.   3 / 352ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #1 Silver Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Maxed Out

1    10/14/2018   11/14/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.815 Rating) A Constantly Improving Course with a small dose of everything.
- UPGRADES - Reading thru the reviews of this course is like reading a biography of someone's life from birth to adulthood. This course infrastructure is nowhere close to the same thing when reading reviews from 2011. New concrete pads for both layouts. The signage was addressed, although its outdated again. All of the baskets are upgraded for both layouts and some lounge area seating has been added. It also appears a few layout tweaks were addressed because the most recent reviews rarely bring it up.
- DUEL PINS AND TEES - One of my favorite things about Oregon Park is the two tees and two permanent baskets at every hole. Silver tees and baskets for mostly front locations and Gold tees and baskets for mostly back locations. This set-up allows players between Novice to perhaps Lower Advanced, to have a reasonable challenge. In addition, the tee basket combo allows players the opportunity to never throw the same layout twice, as a player could randomize the tee and basket choices at each hole.
- CHALLENGING - I played the Gold to Gold layout and found the challenge to be roughly Intermediate level. There are some nice shot shaping lines, but also some power required. Players in the 950 rating range should be able to consistently shoot in the mid to low 50's. A couple of the Gold to Gold par 4s should honestly be relisted as par 3s, especially holes (4) and (6), but this notion of a par 3 or 4 doesn't really affect anything other than mindset.
- CHARACTER - As mentioned under the upgrades pro, Oregon Park has seen a lot of improvements over the past few years. DISCatcher baskets for both layouts. There are a couple of huge chill areas at the tees with spacious benches and tables. There are a couple of shelters and also restrooms up by the first tee. There's a practice basket and course map at community board. The tees are concrete and large being 5 feet by 12 feet for the gold tees.
- UNIQUENESS - I was pleased. Down shots, up shots, left, right, open, heavily wooded, long and short. Hole (3) and (5) were both legit par 4s from the Gold to Gold configuration. There is some water to deal with in the form of a creek and it makes a big impact on hole (11). I liked the 'S' line on Gold to Gold (8) which requires a big right to left shot to then make a break back to the right at the end. I do wish there would have been a more epic downhill shot or just wow shot in general, but I guess the natural terrain just couldn't deliver at this location.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Not to the same level of a few other courses I've played in the Atlanta area, but still better than a vast majority of the courses I've played to date. Oregon Park is moderately wooded and has moderately undulating terrain that keeps hole after hole looking very pleasant. Not really any bombshell looking holes, but just about them all look around average or better. I scored the course a 3.25 out of 5 for beauty.

Cons: Only ticky tack issues at Oregon Park
- DISCONTINUITY - a few sizable gaps and odd transitions as a result of a history of modifications. (2) to (3), (10) to (11) and (17) to (18), all look tricky to navigate. Thankfully I had a guild. I played a few extra holes after my initial round and I found myself crossing (14s) fairway on the way to (18). The spacing on a few holes is questionable and I could see players straying into the wrong fairway from time to time. I highly suggest having a printed map in hand for this one.
- NAVIGATION/SIGNAGE - The tee signs are starting to show their age and should probably be replaced. The course also needs directional cues along some of the longer transitions.
- TIME PLAY - I played in a random doubles on my round out here and it took just under 2 and 1/2 hours to play the gold layout. Honestly, much less time than I was expecting, but still far from optimal from a course bagger point of view. Figure 2 hours for the Silver to Silver layout in a four some, but this could vary greatly depending on how busy the course is.

Other Thoughts: I've played about a quarter of the Atlanta metro courses as of the review and Oregon Park is among my favorites. Of the higher courses I've scored thus far, I have Oregon Park only behind Perkerson, and slightly ahead of both ERP and Etowah. No doubt Etowah and ERP are more beautiful courses with more wow factor at the tee, it's just that Oregon Park delivers so many other elements, that my experience was a touch better here than those two courses. It reminds me a lot of George Ward in Birmingham, but a slightly better version, having the duel tees and legit par 4s. There's a reason why Oregon Park is busy, it's because its good, really good. It's one of more developed courses I've played and there's really nothing else to add. My rating for it is pretty much maxed out at the 3.8 level. My only significant complaint was the few layout flow grievances caused by a prior layout life. I'd happily play here everyday. Had I run into this course anywhere else in the country, I would have been ecstatic, but not quite blown away.
- THANK YOU - A big thanks to craigd for inviting me to come up to Atlanta and to play the course that he's club president of. It's always great to throw a round with someone who knows the history of a course, but yet whom also wants to inquiry about what an outsider thinks. That's the sign of a great club President, Thank you sir, I hope we can do it again. Personal note, Craig and I make horrible paring partners. We are essentially the same player, both excelling at short technical courses and scrambling well. Thus on this longer Gold to Gold layout our weakness on longer drives and longer putts, was exposed.

Seamlessly blends open and wooded

2-4    7/6/2018   7/8/2018
Review By: Schreuds2.0
Pros:
-Tee pads are in excellent shape, solid, concrete, mostly dirt free.
-Tee signs are great, at both silver and gold tees, they help with par, distance, hole #, and have a map of the hole.
-Gold baskets are highly visible, most silver ones are too (a couple are camouflaged in the trees).
-The majority of baskets are DISCatcher, a couple are DGA. The DISCatchers are excellent, but I'm not a fan of Mach II or III.
-Fairways are well groomed grass in the open, and packed down dirt in the woods, there are a couple roots in the fairway to give this course character, but not enough to make it annoying.
-In the open trees are used very well, and then in the woods, the trees are used excellently.
-The small amount of elevation on this course is used well, and makes some holes great.
-This is a popular course, deservedly so, but with that in mind, there is not a whole lot of garbage laying around, not no garbage, but very little.
-Benches on most, if not all, tees.
-Oregon park is super pretty, the course plays next to baseball fields, but you wouldn't even know it.
Cons:
-My biggest navigation snafoo was not really on the course itself, but the parking lot. I went in the main entrance to the park, assuming hole 1 would be near a parking lot. You need to really study the map before coming to this course, because there is an unmarked parking lot for the course that is super helpful to know about.
-I feel like this course could have used a couple more mandos, theree are some holes that would be more difficult (in a fun way) with mandos.
-This course is a little crammed. there is a lot of options for playing this course, 72 different holes, a couple fairways get close to eachother, or end right next to a tee pad, or have another hole's basket right next to it.
-This course gets a 3/4 on the new shoe index
-I am a total fan of the long to long, short to short, short to long, long to short, type of course, and it is represented very well here.

1    10/10/2017   10/10/2017
Review By: Albinorhino
Pros: Very well maintained
2 tees and 2 baskets on every hole
Multiple lines on majority of holes.
Cons: Very crowded at times you wouldn't even expect.
Nothing that really blows you out of the water about this course.
Kind of repetitive.
Other Thoughts: This is a course I grew up playing and was the closest course to me for the longest time. It is fun and every hole gives you a shot at birdie. The funnest layouts for me are gold to silver and silver to gold. To me it's fun but nothing special.

A great course!

5+    8/4/2017   9/14/2017
Review By: Noco
Pros: Oregon Park (OP) is my home course. I learned to play disc on the old 9 hole course in the mid 00's and played here throughout the course's transformation to it's current layout. In it's current layout, I've played the course hundreds of times over the years, in all layouts, but mostly gold-to-gold.

- Variety of course layouts, with two teepads and two baskets for each hole.
- All holes have concrete tee-pads
- Maps at each hole with the terrain, basket location, and distance
- Free to play!
- Well maintained and any 'disruptions' in the course are taken care of quickly.
- Free parking
- Practice putting basket with putting distance markers at the start of the course
- Driving range for practicing drives offers something unique most courses won't offer (although distance markers into the field would be cool!)
- A good mix of open and wooded shots over varying distances.
- [Mostly] good use of terrain.
- Benches and rest areas are located throughout the entirety of the course.
- Good, helpful group of local active players that help maintain the course and play it often. There are doubles/singles on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the summer, and various events and tournaments hosted throughout the year.
- Not too many places to 'easily' lose a disc.
Cons: - Some areas of the course are not well marked and course navigation can be difficult for new players, particularly holes 2 to 3, 10 to 11, and 17 to 18. Take a picture of the course map before you start and don't be scared to ask someone for help/directions.
- Can get pretty crowded on weekends.
- A little bit of crossover on some holes on the course. Make sure to be heads up when throwing and always yell "fore" if unsure.
- Some holes could be improved, but I'll get to that below...
- Lack of 'close by' facilities. There is a port-o-potty by the course start and that's it. There are several bathrooms and water fountains in the baseball field area of OP, but not convenient to the disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: There are four layouts: Silver-to-Silver is the easier layout and ideal for beginners to the game. Experienced players can play all 18 with mids and putters, with most baskets being 200-250'. New players will like the relatively straightforward shots, but there are enough tricky shots to keep it from being boring. The next layout, and in my opinion the 2nd easiest is Gold-to-Silver. Again, seasoned players can probably get by most of the course with mids and putters, but may pull out a fairway or distance on a couple holes. This would be the best compromise layout to play if veterans are playing with new players. Then there is Silver-to-Gold, which I think is slightly more difficult than the alternative mixed layout. The gold baskets are generally farther out and/or in more difficult areas to reach, thus playing to gold baskets will offer greater difficulty. Veterans will utilize some distance drivers on this layout. Lastly, Gold-to-Gold is by far the most difficult/challenging layout on the course - I find it to be the most 'fun' of the four layouts for this reason.

Quality Course with lots of options

1    6/18/2017   6/18/2017
Review By: Foyboy89
Pros: -Free parking
-Multiple tee and Pin locations that don't move
-Well kept
-Good mix of technical and distance holes
Cons: -Lots of traffic and worn grass = Georgia Red Mud after a rain
-Course layout crosses itself a few times
Other Thoughts: I see why this is a tournament course, the 4 different options make for lots of ways the course could be played. As well I get frustrated with multiple pins locations that move and change distance and par for the hole. Hole 2 at Wills park for example frustrates me because its a par 3 in position A and a Par 4 in position B and it just seems to depend on chance as to where the basket is when you play. This course having permanent locations of pins and 4 options of skill is a real plus. The signage was 95% there and relatively easy to navigate if you remembered to look at the tee sign of where the next tee was. I plan to come back and play this one again.

Beautiful Course. Perfect for all Skill Levels.

1    6/18/2017   6/18/2017
Review By: TaylorAF
Pros: -Versatility. This course is unique in that it has 2 tee pads as well as 2 baskets, creating 4 options for playing the course. I (a beginner) played the shortest option, while my husband played the longest option. This kept the competition fun and fair.
-Great for all skill levels. Like I mentioned above, there are 4 playing options. Because of this, you can pick your own level. As a beginner, I really appreciate this feature.
-Natural beauty. This course was absolutely stunning-- beautiful fields, nice bits of woody/shaded areas, etc. On top of just enjoying the course, it was nice to walk as well.
-Hole variance. The style changed from hole to hole. Sometimes the challenge was a narrow window to drive out of, other times it was a wide open drive going uphill, and other times it was finding a basket hidden in a patch of trees. This course was not boring; it provided a variety of challenges.
-Well kept. The lawns were freshly mowed and the tee pads were clean (other than some mud from a brief rain just an hour earlier, which can't be helped).
-Free parking. Free course.
Cons: -Signage. There were a few maps missing at tee pads. This wasn't a huge issue, as you could walk to the other tee pad of the same hole to see the map, but it was an inconvenience.
-Inefficiency. The course doubled over itself a couple of times. This isn't a big issue, but it can get confusing and cumbersome as you will see baskets that you're not looking for.
Other Thoughts: -This course is fairly long. It took my husband and I between an hour and a half and two hours to play this course.
-About half of this course is in the sun, so be prepared with sunscreen and water.

Nice Surprise in the Burbs

2-4    5/10/2017   5/10/2017
Review By: adamwn9
This review was updated on 5/22/2017
Pros: -Different tee pads and baskets allow for 4 different holes, which is pretty cool for locals.
-Distance of holes varies a decent amount without having any holes that are ridiculously too long or too short
-There's a driving range for anybody who wants a little extra exercise
Cons: -Navigation and next tee signs - 2 to 3, 10 to 11, 17 to 18 can all be a bit confusing to first timers - any signage at all would be very helpful
-Not a huge fan of the 18th hole - I think that after such a cool round they could've ended on a better note
-It can get a little crowded and I've had to skip around on a few occasions because larger groups never let me play through
Other Thoughts: This course is one mile from my sister-in-law's place. I try to play it every time we visit. I have been impressed each time. The different lengths of tee pads also make it easier for me to talk my wife into joining me every once in a while.

Fun for the beginner/intermediate player!

1    2/13/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Fun, nice rolling hills, easy enough to know what shot you should probably throw, and the two par 4's are real! Good locals out there, fun to get in a quick round.
Cons: Take a picture of the sign up front, or you will wonder how to get to hole 3...and others.

Wish this were my home course

1    2/7/2017   2/12/2017
Review By: GoobyPls
Pros: This is a pretty course in a multi-use park. The 18-hole layout provides a variety of shots that play both left and right off the tee. Rolling elevation changes are incorporated very well, yet without requiring a tiring climb up and down hills. With two pads and two baskets for every hole, there are four possible layouts to provide variety for repeat plays. There are also benches at every tee, as well as clear hole maps at the gold tees. There are some water hazards to deal with, but none of them appear to be disc eaters. Concrete tees and baskets are in good shape. Locals are friendly and helpful.
Cons: This is the most confusing layout I've ever seen, with very few "Next Tee" signs. Playing it alone, I got lost at least three times, and that was after getting help from the locals twice. There is a mostly-accurate sign at the front with a general layout; be sure to take a picture with your phone if possible. This course appears to be really popular with the locals and may be very busy on the weekends or during warm weather. Watch out for some hidden briar patches around hole 14.
Other Thoughts: It's best to park by the large metal building by the first tee instead of the main park entrance. The practice driving range is there as well.

Great course!

2-4    11/23/2016   11/25/2016
Review By: Thothga
Pros: Multiple pads and baskets provide lots of challenges. Great mix of open space shots and tight tree holes. Great concrete tee pads, minimal to no water.
Cons: A little further drive from Roswell so I can't play it more frequently. Hole navigation needs some help...
Other Thoughts: Wish it was closer, I love this course!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5