Columbia, SC
Seven Oaks DGC Share
Uploaded By: Atrain Hole #9 (Taken 6/2011)

Total Eclipse of the 9th Hole

1    8/21/2017   8/21/2017
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Seven Oaks is primarily a park style course designed for beginners, youth and families.

Most of the holes are on the shorter side of 200' and feels more like shooting upshots than teeing off. There is one longer hole sitting at 275'. Plenty of Ace runs.

Primarily most of the obstacles (if they hole has them) come right off the tee or by the basket. It forces you to choose a hyzer/anny approach without having many fairway defining trees.

I played with my 7yo son and I think this is a really good course for youth to play on. I could tell he was having to make that decision on how to come in to the green. The holes are just the right length for him to get a deuce if he plays it right.

Equipment - Concrete pads and the baskets are in good shape. Tee signs list the distance.

Atmosphere - The course is in a nice area of the park, a good bit of it is shaded by larger sparse trees. If the holes weren't so short it would seem crammed in but it works well for what they were going for. The area is clean and well maintained so it's a solid place to bring the kids and teach them the game.

My son loved Hole 8 because you cross a short bridge over a creek to play it. It felt like a secret area to him.
Cons: Layout - If you have any bit of experience playing disc golf and and you're not under 10 years old this is probably not the course for you. The holes are all short and you are pretty much guaranteed a putt on every hole.

Half of the holes are fairly wide open with no obstacles.

Equipment - Maybe something near the parking area pointing towards the course. It's not far but we did have to stop and think about it for a second.

Atmosphere - This is a multi use park and I can see people possibly being ignorant to the course and hanging out under the shady trees. It was going on when we were there.
Other Thoughts: This is where we watched the great eclipse of 2017. I actually didn't know there was a course there until we got there. There was a gathering of folk who set up shop on Hole 9 so we had to improvise that one from a temp tee. Sweet little course and I'll honestly never forget that round due to the eclipse.

I'm not giving it a 1.5 because I think it's bad. I just think that's the ceiling for a course such as this. It's actually one of the better courses I've seen which targets youth/families.

Decent neighborhood 9-holer

1    7/11/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 1/3/2017
Pros: Seven Oaks is the essence of a beginner friendly course. Plenty of chances for birdies and aces.
- Nice variety between long and short tees. Long tees present some tight layouts (#7 - 9), longer holes (#5) and different looks from the shorts. At least you'll have to somewhat work to get your birdies from the longer layout.
- Easy course to play in short amount of time. Could easily play short layout in 15 minutes with one or two discs. It'd be even quicker if tees were better marked - see comment in cons.
- Great overall park - large rec center, great ball fields, walking path, playground. You can easily distract the rest of the family long enough to squeeze in 9 or 18 holes.
- Nice, detailed map. Without the map, it'd be a struggling find some tees.
Cons: Course offers very little challenge. Too many holes are too straight, too short or offer little to no obstacle. Eight on the 9 short holes are under 200 feet. Whereas one may see a great beginner course, others will see a course that's not going to be fun/challenging for advanced players.
- Many holes/layouts play over walking paths. The only real risk is playing from #8 long, where you're throwing a partially blind tee shot.
- Too many holes are poorly marked. I couldn't find a tee area for #1 on shorts - other short holes are marked by a temporary tee sign. Long tees are marked by spray painted markers. I could only find 6 of the 9 long layouts (couldn't find #1, 2 & 5), and even of those, I wasn't sure if 3 of those were actually the tee (#2, 8 &9). Some markers/tees could be better marked than just being spray painted dirt/grass, which (obviously) quickly fades away.
- Holes are very close together. If this course gets crowded, it could present real issues.
Other Thoughts: Seven Oaks is clearly aimed at beginners. Whereas that's a good thing for beginners, a good, high-rated course it does not make.
- The biggest thing going against Seven Oaks is its absolute lack of space. They should be given credit for somehow squeezing 9 holes (with dual layouts nonetheless) into this small piece of land.
- There were two fun hole layouts - #8 & 9 in the longs. That's assuming the spray paint I saw was indeed the tees, and not something else. On #8, you have to shoot through a gap in the trees, over the small creek to the basket. If you throw straight, it's not a difficult hole. #9 tees off in the woods, right behind the same creek. Once you get out of the woods, the fairway is wide open. Part of the challenge was just getting to the tee.
- Needless to say, this course is nowhere near the ratings others have given it. Courses need to be rated against each other, not in a vacuum. And my ranking reflects that.
- I'm giving this course a 2.0, based on the long layout. The short/beginner-friendly layout would get a lower mark, but I'm not going to include that in the overall rating.
- Unless, you're a local, this course probably isn't worth the time. Sadly, with a lack of space, I don't know how much better this course could get.